The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenLady View Post
Um, German Jews were very, very Pro-German and took their patriotism seriously, as in WWI, they proudly served. They were the product of Moses Mendelsohn's entreaties for Jews to assimilate and assimilate they did. They almost tried to "out-German" the Germans. This annoyed the Germans, no end.
So, if I am reading this right. It isn't about Muslims, or Germans, or Americans. It is pretty much anyone who is. not. Jewish. Right?

Yeah. Have fun with that.
Advertisements  
Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 PM

Hitler was a Rothschild bastard !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
What?

Of every place where jews were a distinctive minority, from Babylon to Egypt to Rome to medieval europe to Dar al Islam, including Ottoman Turkey, to Poland and eastern europe over the last 500 years, they seem to have heartily disliked and despised ( with possibly good reason, except no-one was forcing them to stay wherever apart from the first two ) the dominant majority.

The only real place they felt happy was in late 19th century Germany, once they'd left the ghetto. That didn't work out that well.

For those reasons a few of them supported revolutions and idealistic changes that didn't benefit the host countries that much in the end. Although not typical of the whole this fed into the anti-semites' obsessions and bred distrust. The most were typified by the few.

And when I say not typical of the whole it can never ever be emphasized too much that most jewish people throughout history have been dirt-poor: as opposed to the baroque fantasies of 'wealthy exploiting jews' favoured by anti-jewish lunatics. There may be a Rothschild Family, with a rich and wondrous internet sub-culture devoted to their alleged machinations, but most were not Rothschilds.

Even in Poland.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No one else uses their religion as an excuse for violence
You really aren't very bright, are you?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
The GOP has already called for a cessation of ALL aid to Israel,
I call BS on that.

Quote:
Rand Paul, Tea Baggers and they are using financial problems as a reason to cut aid to Israel.
Rand Paul is a libertarian when it comes to foreign aid. He probably doesn't want anyone to get foreign aid.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claverhouse View Post
The USA is unlikely to turn on jewish people
I know I was pretty unsuccessful at it in high school
Old 02-06-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Of every place where jews were a distinctive minority, from Babylon to Egypt to Rome to medieval europe to Dar al Islam, including Ottoman Turkey, to Poland and eastern europe over the last 500 years, they seem to have heartily disliked and despised ( with possibly good reason, except no-one was forcing them to stay wherever apart from the first two ) the dominant majority.
Well, I can't imagine why. What with how splendidly they were treated everywhere.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
You really aren't very bright, are you?
No shit.

Quote:
No one else uses their religion as an excuse for violence

Number one reason for violence, through all humanity. All religions have participated in this lovely tradition. Your's is not an exception.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
favoured by anti-jewish lunatics.
The irony, it burns.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:03 PM
BANNED

I'm busy with the football game. I can't do both...I shouldn't have tried.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I'm busy with the football game. I can't do both...I shouldn't have tried.
LMAO

Perfect.

Can't defend, so disengage.

Got it.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnAgain View Post
Good lord, is it too much to ask for a week or two to pass without some really striking religion or ethnic-based stupidity?
In GD I keep hoping for one day--and every night I am disappointed that we have failed gain.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
No one else uses their religion as an excuse for violence, nor would it be tolerated, why so does Islam get a pass? People have all kinds of vendettas, but they don't use their religion to give it credence, only Islam does. Issues and problems have driven people to violence, but only Muslims do so, as an excuse to incite violence.
No one else? See, there's this thing called the internet, where you can look up facts and stuff. No shortage of terrorists motivated by Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, and various others. Pretty much everyone except the Jains.

You are exactly the sort of bigoted asshole that generations of Jews have despised, and fought. Congratulations.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Mod Rocker

Addressed to Finn Again:
Quote:
You're pretty fucked up, yourself, ole boy.
I can't wait until she starts pointing out how he is anti-Jewish.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 PM
BANNED

I'm talking here and now...today...who is as violent as Islam?

Never mind, Packers won....all's fine with the world.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:26 PM

I just want to say that this is the craziest thread I've read in quite some time, and that's saying something.

Carry on.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Pick a Religion. Any religion.

(majors. I know some minor religions get a pass.)
Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong
I just want to say that this is the craziest thread I've read in quite some time, and that's saying something.
I think the key word there is 'craziest'...or at least the root of that word. Bughouse...

-XT
Old 02-06-2011, 11:03 PM

This thread is three hours old, at 67 posts, and NO ONE has posted a link to whatever the hell started this hoopla.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
[...]
anti-jewish lunatics.
Just so we're clear here, the history of a anti-Jewish racism and/or violence is something that you think happened "possibly with good reason". Not like those crazy fuckers who think that Jews are wealthy.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:

You're an even bigger bitch than I thought.

(I'm guessing she's even happier that the Steelers lost due to the fact that Antwaan Randle El is a Muslim. )
Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 PM

You guys know my Congressman, Kieth Ellison? From Minnesota? A Muslim. From Minnesota. And I mean, from Minnesota, having far more in common with Garrison Keillor than with Saladin. Brownish skin, but American cheese on white with mayo. All the seething charisma of Walter Mondale, the steely eyed fanaticism of Hubert Humphrey.

I try to see him as agent of some dark conspiracy, and I break into giggles.

Last edited by elucidator; 02-06-2011 at 11:48 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 11:53 PM

Just picture him as someone who might be unable to tell Saudi Arabia's goals from America's goals and/or someone who might betray America to Islamic interests just like an International Communist during the cold war.
The rest should come naturally to you.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
You're an even bigger bitch than I thought.

(I'm guessing she's even happier that the Steelers lost due to the fact that Antwaan Randle El is a Muslim. )

Go fuck yourself where you breathe!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Just picture him as someone who might be unable to tell Saudi Arabia's goals from America's goals and/or someone who might betray America to Islamic interests just like an International Communist during the cold war....
An ankle biting chihuahua with delusions of hyena.

Last edited by elucidator; 02-06-2011 at 11:59 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
Addressed to Finn Again:I can't wait until she starts pointing out how he is anti-Jewish.

Fuckwit!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:

The only real place they felt happy was in late 19th century Germany, once they'd left the ghetto. That didn't work out that well.

For those reasons a few of them supported revolutions and idealistic changes that didn't benefit the host countries that much in the end. Although not typical of the whole this fed into the anti-semites' obsessions and bred distrust. The most were typified by the few.

And when I say not typical of the whole it can never ever be emphasized too much that most jewish people throughout history have been dirt-poor: as opposed to the baroque fantasies of 'wealthy exploiting jews' favoured by anti-jewish lunatics. There may be a Rothschild Family, with a rich and wondrous internet sub-culture devoted to their alleged machinations, but most were not Rothschilds.

Even in Poland.

drop dead and go to hell.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
You have very little room to complain about someone else's bigotry or stupidity, except that it's not the sort you support.
You may want to clear up your stupidity and bigotry first, and then come up with a more cohesive argument than "Damn you, hate the correct people!"
Old 02-07-2011, 12:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You have very little room to complain about someone else's bigotry or stupidity, except that it's not the sort you support.
You may want to clear up your stupidity and bigotry first, and then come up with a more cohesive argument than "Damn you, hate the correct people!"
Drop dead.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:06 AM

Oooh, somebody's cranky!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 AM

Unlike some of our more seasoned posters, you don't even seem smart enough to cloak your bigotry with weasel wording. You won't last long.
Shalom, chaver.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
I call BS on that.

Rand Paul is a libertarian when it comes to foreign aid. He probably doesn't want anyone to get foreign aid.
Right you are. That is exactly what Rand Paul was saying- he just made it a point that Israel was NOT an exception to his call to end foreign aid. And EVERY GOP LEADER promptly repudiated his statement.

I also second the observations that Jews are safer here than in Israel & it would be more likely (tho God forbid) that Israeli Jews would have to flee here for safety than vice versa. America & Israel are spiritual & I believe physical kindred.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
Addressed to Finn Again:I can't wait until she starts pointing out how he is anti-Jewish.
Wow, you know you may have mental issues when FinnAgain tells you your defense of Judaism sounds bigoted.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed View Post
Right you are. That is exactly what Rand Paul was saying- he just made it a point that Israel was NOT an exception to his call to end foreign aid. And EVERY GOP LEADER promptly repudiated his statement.

I also second the observations that Jews are safer here than in Israel & it would be more likely (tho God forbid) that Israeli Jews would have to flee here for safety than vice versa. America & Israel are spiritual & I believe physical kindred.
Truly, I'm having a little bit of trouble believing that Ashen is for real. She's the very caricature of the whole Muslim-hater-who-thinks-that-criticism-of-Israel-is-antisemitism nutbar that folks like to talk about but I've never actually seen in real life. If she's not playing a role, then hopefully at least she can earn herself a quick ban with a few more "raghead" slurs tossed out here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Zombie View Post
Wow, you know you may have mental issues when FinnAgain tells you your defense of Judaism sounds bigoted.
You know you may be an idiot if you think that Ashen hating Muslims is, in fact, a defense of Judaism.

Last edited by FinnAgain; 02-07-2011 at 12:39 AM..
Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Fuckwit!
Quote:
Quote:
Drop dead.
Your powers of logical reasoning are not persuasive to me at this time. You may wish to take an anger management class, or at least figure out where your hatred is coming from.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:07 AM

I vaguely sympathize with Ashen's views, since I accept the remote possibility of modern pogroms.

Just her views, though, not her childish behaviour.

Also, if I could magically eliminate all religions except one, I'd preserve Judaism and fuck the rest.

If I could eliminate all religions, period...
Old 02-07-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Your powers of logical reasoning are not persuasive to me at this time. You may wish to take an anger management class, or at least figure out where your hatred is coming from.
These are great arguments. Guaranteed to convince. "Fuck you, drop dead, go to hell." I am coming around to your point of view already.

Amazing how that works.

Not.

Last edited by loshan; 02-07-2011 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: not clear
Old 02-07-2011, 01:18 AM

Too late for edit:

Not for Euphonious Polemic

Reply directed to AshenLady
Old 02-07-2011, 01:31 AM

As-salaamu Alaikum AshenLady
Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
The contortions I am imagining one must engage in to fulfill this command are rather amusing, if probably hard on the spine.

AshenLady, may every day greet you with the opportunity to make a muslim friend.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:49 AM

How about a Twilight scenario? Torn by her passion for a Muslim werewolf and a Jewish vampire! We can work in that classic line: "Oy, have you ever got the wrong vampire!"
Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Just so we're clear here, the history of a anti-Jewish racism and/or violence is something that you think happened "possibly with good reason". Not like those crazy fuckers who think that Jews are wealthy.

Should you read with --- much, much --- greater care, you may see that I suggested the jewish minority in such places as they were situated may have had good reason to hate and despise those who were the majority.

Which neither excuses their bigotry against the christian or muslim majorities nor condemns it. Just understands it.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:59 AM

Sorry but was unable to give a muslim a hug today. I did however get to teach one some English. Later in the week not only will I teach some English to a muslim lady but I will probably give her a hug to - but this is normal behaviour so I will have to think up something extra nice to do.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:06 AM

You are correct, I misread. I thought that you'd flubbed your text and missed a "been" and "by". Since actual reality was that Jews were hated and despised in many countries but didn't have any actual objection to various cultures most of the time, except when they were all about persecuting them.
But you've clarified that you're making the slightly less stupid claim that in every place Jews have lived over the last 500 years, they've "disliked and despised" the majority member of their "host" countries, and were "bigoted" against them.
Of course, that's still not different than your earlier assertion that "they never seem to like the host populations much. And prefer the hosts' majority cultures weakened."

A rather odd and conspiratorial way of saying "Jews are often persecuted and would kinda prefer that they wouldn't be."

Last edited by FinnAgain; 02-07-2011 at 02:08 AM..
Old 02-07-2011, 02:09 AM

Funny thing about all of this is that I work with 2 girls who are Jewish and from Isreal and neither one of them has ever said a bad thing about a Muslim. Funny how that is. You might expect them to have more reason to do so than anyone living in America. But I think they know that all the conflict is much more political than it is religious. There are some serious fucked up politics in that area unfortunately in a large part fueled by the US, Great Britian and other nations who have stuck their fingers in the pie (oil is a big motivation, obviously). So let's stir up some conflict so some other faction does not get to big a peice of the pie.

But I must say, of all the Jewish people I have known, AshenLady is far and away the craziest and most racist -- mainly because all the other Jewish people I knew were great people. If you think Jews are some sort of oppressed people in America, you are living in a box with no windows.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Drop dead.
[Moderating]

AshenLady, please note this thread which lists specific insults which are forbidden, even in the Pit, including "fuck yourself."

Also, note the prohibition in this thread against wishing death or harm on other posters.

Please refrain from making these sorts of statements in the future.

No warning issued.

[/Moderating]
Old 02-07-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenLady
I picture the Godess designing people.

"OK, the one with the dick, I crank up the horniness vector up to eleven. Hmmm, maybe make the spine extra flexible so they can bend down and give themselves....oh, maybe not that good an idea. Horny to max, spine stiff, put the wobbly bits on the other one. Yeah, that works...."
Old 02-07-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Should you read with --- much, much --- greater care, you may see that I suggested the jewish minority in such places as they were situated may have had good reason to hate and despise those who were the majority.

Which neither excuses their bigotry against the christian or muslim majorities nor condemns it. Just understands it.
Should you look over what you wrote with --- much, much --- greater care, you can see why your use of "anti-jewish lunatics" is... odd.

Quote:
One small problem occurs with jewish demographics in that they never seem to like the host populations much. And prefer the hosts' majority cultures weakened in order to prevent such persecution of their people as has happened elsewhere.
Strange wording, weakening the host populations? Hmm, what weakens its host? Oh yeah, a parasite or a disease. Nobody's ever accused The Jews as World Parasites.

Quote:

Hmm, Jews - sorry, a few of them - were behind revolutions in their hosts? Yeah, I can't think of any classic anti-semetic drivel about Joos being behind communism.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
Should you look over what you wrote with --- much, much --- greater care, you can see why your use of "anti-jewish lunatics" is... odd.
To be fair, I did significantly misread what he wrote. I fucked up on that count. Also to be fair though, what he wrote is really rather wacky. Not that countries have often had a large degree of hatred and contempt for Jews, but that Jews have often had a large degree of hatred and contempt for their 'host' nations. And their 'bigotry' against their 'hosts' possibly had good reason, except of course they could have just let their 'hosts' drive them out of the countries completely

I initially misread his post as an update of the whole "Jews have always been persecuted and hated, but that's because they deserved to be."
Turns out it's something more like "Jews were always hating and being bigoted against their 'host' countries, and trying to weaken their cultures, and it would kinda be understandable except nobody was forcing the Jews to stay and they could've allowed themselves to just be purged from their homes."

(Ashen is still an idiot and a bigot, of course.)
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 AM

AshenLady: What people are objecting to is that you are saying if someone isn't rabidly anti-Muslim then he must hate Jews. It's that simple.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
This thread is three hours old, at 67 posts, and NO ONE has posted a link to whatever the hell started this hoopla.
How do you post a link to the voices in somebody's head?