The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 03-02-2011, 12:41 PM

Heroin vs. Methadone

Can someone explain the advantages of Methadone over heroin? My understanding is that both get you high (maybe Methadone less so?), both are addictive, and Methadone withdrawal can apparently kill you, whereas I don't think that's the case with heroin.

So:

1. What are the advantages of Methadone over heroin for treatment?
2. Can Methadone withdrawal kill you?
3. Can heroin withdrawal?
4. Does Methadone get you high? Not as high as heroin?

When I ask about dying from withdrawal, I mean as a direct effect of the withdrawal (stoppage of breathing, for example) not as a side effect (for example, maybe it's possible to die from heroin withdrawal if you do it alone and lose so much fluid from vomiting that you die of dehydration).

I can't shake the idea that Methadone is considered OK because it's produced by a pharmaceutical company whereas heroin is just bad because it's an illegal substance.

I'm hoping Qadgop the Mercotan can opine, since he's probably got lots of experience with all kinds of withdrawal situations.
Advertisements  
Old 03-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
4. Does Methadone get you high? Not as high as heroin?
From here: http://www.drugs.com/methadone.html

Quote:
It also reduces withdrawal symptoms in people addicted to heroin or other narcotic drugs without causing the "high" associated with the drug addiction.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:23 PM

1. Heroin is illegal to prescribe, methadone is not. Due to that, it is much easier to administer a regulated dose of methadone as compared to heroin.
2. No, not that I'm aware of.
3. No.
4. Yes. Your brain basically converts both into the same substance. Methadone is longer lasting and less intense, while heroin is more intense and shorter acting.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:40 PM

5. Methadone is taken orally, so you avoid all the blood-borne nastiness that heroin addicts are at high risk for.

6. Many drugs produced by pharmaceutical companies are illegal without a prescription. If the government provided heroin to addicts under safe controlled conditions, it would also have to be made by a pharmaceutical company.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 PM

earlier thread

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...ight=methadone
Old 03-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

This brilliant post from the above thread highlights the comparisons and contrasts.
Quote:
Methadone is a very long-acting opiate, useful for chronic pain relief.

It also has less of a 'high' than heroin, morphine, oxycodone, and other popular drugs of abuse, in part because of its long-acting nature. The euphoria of methadone is far less than that of the other opiates mentioned above by me. In fact, one hallmark of the methadone addict is that they're often coherent enough to actually engage in goal-directed activity, like cleaning, shopping, or even working, while on the drug.

As a result, one may get an opiate addict to be a semi-productive citizen while maintained on methadone. I actually know of a surgeon who practices (with the blessing of the Medical Board) while on methadone maintenance (I'd never go to him).

Also, methadone has some utility in discouraging use of those other opiates, if a person is already on high-dose methadone, as the euphoria of heroin, etc. will be severely blunted.

It's also useful in detoxing someone from opiates slowly, with reduced side-effects.

Even so, methadone is abusable, easy to overdose and die with, and takes a special license to prescribe if you're using it to treat opiate addiction.

As for controlled heroin doses, well, an active addict tends to escalate the dose to try to recapture the euphoria that he recalls so well from earlier using experiences. That's how heroin addicts end up on massive doses of the stuff (or dead, or both). And that's why few heroin addicts stick with scheduled, fixed doses of the stuff.

I'm not a fan of methadone maintenance; it generally requires very high doses to adequately block the effects of heroin or other opiates, and methadone is a bitch and a half to detox off of at those levels, far worse than heroin, frankly. That's mainly because it takes weeks to months to detox from methadone, rather than the 3 or so days it takes for heroin. And the withdrawal symptoms are pretty much the same.

But methadone is very useful for treating some nasty malignant pain syndromes.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 03-02-2011 at 05:03 PM..
Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 PM

Still struggling with the humilty bit, Qadgop?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 PM

I went travelling in the late sixties (of the last century) and disappeared from my neighbourhood for about 5 years before returning. When I came back I found that many friends had, in the intervening years, become heroin addicts, and then gone on some healing program or other and were receiving methadone by prescription.

When I hung out with them they looked like stoned zombies. Just like heroin addicts.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
4. Yes. Your brain basically converts both into the same substance. Methadone is longer lasting and less intense, while heroin is more intense and shorter acting.
Yes, methadone does cause some sort of high or buzz, especially in non-tolerant users (once a persons been on a steady dose for a long time it will likely just make them feel "well" and not any sort of buzz).

However, they are not converted into 'basically' the same substance. They are two different drugs that are both opioid agonists, but are chemically/structurally dissimilar. The rest of what you say is correct - methadone takes longer to peak and lasts longer than heroin (the slower peak is part of what gives methadone less of a high then heroin, which both has a quick peak and also usually administered in a way to make it peak even quicker, ie injecting).

Last edited by PlanetCharlie; 03-02-2011 at 10:40 PM..
Old 03-03-2011, 04:24 AM
Out of the slimy mud of words
Charter Member

There is another difference between methadone and heroin (and, in fact, AFAIK, all other opiates). Specifically, unlike morphine et al, methadone is effective for the treatment of neuropathic pain (e.g. pain from various cancers, diabetic neuropathy, post-herpetic neuralgia, etc.).

The mechanism for methadone's unique efficacy in this regard seems to reside in the fact that methadone, uniquely among opiates, down-regulates the NMDA receptor (with such receptors up-regulated in painful neuropathy and thereby interfering with the action of opiates in the spinal cord). In other words, methadone, by virtue of its antagonism at the NMDA receptor, restores sensitivity to the analgesic effect of opiates. Moreover, since methadone is, of course, itself an opiate, it can be used as a single agent to treat neuropathic pain (exploiting its dual effects, i.e. its NMDA antagonism and endorphin receptor agonism).
Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 AM

My wife has been on methadone for a number of years as treatment of chronic neuropathic pain. She doesn't get any high at all from it and is much more functional on it than off it. It also has the advantage of long term release so that a single dose will last about 5 hours. When she has gone through withdrawal her main symptom was increased pain and irritability. But it is hard to say how much of this was due to withdrawal and how much was due to not being medicated for her pain.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Read Deborah Spunden's book "And I Don't Want to Live This Life" about her daughter, the infamous Nancy of Sid & Nancy fame. She states that on heroin Nancy was the stereotypical spaced out junkie; on methodone she was able to work and take care of herself.

Deborah always knew when Nancy was back on heroin.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:06 PM

Thanks everyone for these very informative responses! Just what I was looking for.

RS
Old 11-25-2011, 03:13 AM

I sincerely hope that this response will help at least one person. I am entirely aware that any person in this world can become addicted to drugs, and I understand that many people who are addicted, as well as their families, wish that their lives were not like this. Unfortunately, my father is a drug addict and I would do absolutely anything in the world for his life, as well as mine, not to be like this. About eleven years ago, when I was eight years old, my father suffered from a work related injury. This injury resulted in him having up to thirteen surgeries over the course of five years, which eventually lead to him becoming hooked on pain killers. With my dad being out of work, my mom was only able to take a certain amount of time off from work, but I stuck to my dads side like glue and tried to take the best care of him as I possible could. Being an only child, my dad had always owned the most significant place in my heart (and always will), but while he was out of work, dad and I spent every waking second together. He was my best friend in the world and I would grow depressed if I went even three hours without him. I was young so I didn't realize my parents fighting, but as I grew older I grew aware of the tension in my household. My mom and dad were constantly fighting, which they had never done before, and my dad started acting so strange. Things were not the same around my house and when I reached the age of twelve the dad I had always known was no longer the best friend I knew my entire life, he was aggressive, irritable and I was frightened by him at times. My mom was constantly upset which upset me to the point where I was sick and could not attend school. At the age of thirteen my mom revealed that my father was suffering from a drug addiction to heroin. One week later my dad moved out and went away to drug rehab. When I received the goodbye phone call from my dad he was crying, this was the only time I have, and still to this day, ever heard my dad cry and I pray that it is the last. He was away for three months and was released from treatment, but the second he came home things acted up again. He was soon prescribed methadone, which was supposed to relieve the withdrawals he was suffering from at the time. Soon after he was prescribed he was using both heroin and methadone leading to another seven trips to rehab. I no longer knew the best friend I had once possessed. My dad was soon stealing from my mom for money to get drugs which lead her to filing for divorce (after being together since the age of fourteen). My father was extremely uncooperative as well as aggressive which lead to a restraining order, forbidding him from seeing her as well as myself. This absolutely killed me. I was not able to see, nor was I able to talk to my dad for months all because of drugs. My mom did everything in her power to help him get off of these drugs, but at this point it was nearly impossible. I am now nineteen years old and still suffering from this pain. The methadone completely rotted his teeth and he looks about ten years older than he should be. When he runs out of this medicine for the month he is an angry, hostile person that I do not want to associate myself with. He calls me mean names and tells me that he wishes I was never born, but I know and hope these comments are just the drugs speaking. For the past two years there have been nights when my dad calls me 100% drugged out and the only thing I can think about is if my dad is going to make it through the night or not. Lately he has been worse than ever, my dad is no longer the person I knew in the least bit. He looks old, pale, and worn. Every night I worry that I won't be able to speak to him the following morning, no matter how many mean comments he makes to me. I don't think my dad has said one nice word to me in over three months, he learned how to text message so he can express his anger when I do not pick up his phone calls. I am currently an economics major at UNH and this has completely distracted me from my studies, I can truly say that I do not care about school right now because my main focus is my dad getting better. Every time I try to talk to him about being addicted and going to rehab, he grows extremely angry and aggressive. It's to the point where I'm not sure what to do anymore, my mom tells me to ignore him because he only upsets me, but I know deep down he will always be the nice, caring, best friend that I once knew. I genuinely do not wish this upon any family, I would like everyone to know how much this drug prescribed by doctors, methadone, can ruin your life, as well as your family's life. I hate pity stories more than anything in this world, I just wanted to share my story in hope that it will stop someone from doing either of these drugs. Not a day goes by when I don't wonder what my life would be like right now if my dad wasn't addicted.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
1. Heroin is illegal to prescribe, methadone is not. Due to that, it is much easier to administer a regulated dose of methadone as compared to heroin.
2. No, not that I'm aware of.
3. No.
Heroin used to be legal, and was a commercial pharmaceutical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ba...oin_bottle.jpg
Old 11-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
1. What are the advantages of Methadone over heroin for treatment?
As methadone is longer-acting than heroin, one dose a day is adequate to stave off withdrawal pains whereas heroin would require multiple doses. Others have touched on other aspects of the perceived advantages of methadone, as well as some of the drawbacks (like a much longer time to detox).

Methadone maintenance is a tool - like all tools, it is not appropriate for all jobs and circumstances, and it can also be abused and misused. It's not a one-size-fits-all pancea for opiate addiction.

Quote:
Can Methadone withdrawal kill you?
No. It can make you feel like shit for weeks at a time, but no, it can't directly kill you.

Quote:
Can heroin withdrawal?
No. It feels awful, and people may think they're dying or want to die, but no, it's not deadly.

Quote:
Does Methadone get you high? Not as high as heroin?
Yes, methadone can get you high if you take enough. The high of methadone vs. that of heroin has already been addressed by people who are much more conversant in the nuances of different drug highs than I am.

Quote:
I can't shake the idea that Methadone is considered OK because it's produced by a pharmaceutical company whereas heroin is just bad because it's an illegal substance.
Truthfully, a LOT of people most certainly do NOT think methadone is OK. It's legal, yes, but if the government changed the relevant laws heroin could be used for drug treatment, and is in some countries in Europe.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseapink9 View Post
I sincerely hope that this response will help at least one person.
I sincerely hope you will read my responses and get some help FOR YOU, because, frankly, you need it.

Quote:
Unfortunately, my father is a drug addict and I would do absolutely anything in the world for his life, as well as mine, not to be like this.
That's a noble sentiment on one level, however, this is not YOUR responsibility. It is not up to you to "save" your father, it is up to HIM to do it.

Quote:
With my dad being out of work, my mom was only able to take a certain amount of time off from work, but I stuck to my dads side like glue and tried to take the best care of him as I possible could.
You were what? Eight? Thirteen? You should not have been put in the role of care-giver to your father! I mean, it's great if you help out, and I certainly understand the dynamics what with my own mother's health problems when I was around that age, but you make it sound like you were his primary nurse or something which an inappropriate role for a child. Was there any attempt to find an adult for that role?

Quote:
///but while he was out of work, dad and I spent every waking second together. He was my best friend in the world and I would grow depressed if I went even three hours without him.
Actually, this is NOT a healthy relationship.

Quote:
My mom was constantly upset which upset me to the point where I was sick and could not attend school.
Why was your mom upset with YOU? Did you drop out of school entirely? I'm sorry, hon, but this does not sound like a healthy family environment at all. I realize that such unhealthy environments are a hallmark of drug addiction, but really, you could probably use some counseling.

Quote:
He was soon prescribed methadone, which was supposed to relieve the withdrawals he was suffering from at the time. Soon after he was prescribed he was using both heroin and methadone leading to another seven trips to rehab.
OK, mixing heroin and methadone is forbidden in any legitimate treatment program. Do you know what that means? It means that at that point your dad didn't REALLY want to get off drugs, he was in treatment because of some other reason (legal, family pressure, whatever) rather than a sincere desire to get clean. This probably doesn't mesh well with the notion of your dad as a wonderful person, but it's probably the truth.

Let me tell you something - a LOT of drug addicts are very nice, wonderful people when they're sober. The problem being, of course, that so often they're not sober they're drunk or high or trying to get to that state. It's not that being a drug addict makes your dad a bad person, more likely, he's a wonderful person with a really bad problem he doesn't deal with very well.

Quote:
My dad was soon stealing from my mom for money to get drugs which lead her to filing for divorce (after being together since the age of fourteen). My father was extremely uncooperative as well as aggressive which lead to a restraining order, forbidding him from seeing her as well as myself. This absolutely killed me.
It was also probably the best thing for you, despite the emotional hurt. Living with an aggressive, uncooperative thief is not a good thing, and it's not healthy. Would you have better off with dad still around but stealing from your mom to the point you had no food to eat or no way to pay the rent or mortgage? I think not.

Quote:
My mom did everything in her power to help him get off of these drugs, but at this point it was nearly impossible.
Until an addict wants to get off the drugs no one can "make" him get off the drugs. You need to stop assigning responsibility for your dad's sobriety to everyone BUT your dad. It's not YOUR job to keep him clean. It's not your mom's job, either. It's up to HIM to do it.

Quote:
I am now nineteen years old and still suffering from this pain.
Then YOU need help. You need counseling. Or a support group for families and friends of addicts. Or both. You need a much better understanding of what addiction is and isn't and how you can cope with being related to an addict. You need this for YOUR pain and to make YOUR life better. You can't wait for dad to clean up - you just don't know when, or if, that will happen. You need to get on with YOUR life NOW.

Quote:
The methadone completely rotted his teeth and he looks about ten years older than he should be.
No, the methadone did NOT "rot his teeth". The self-neglect typical of an addict rotted his teeth. Addicts don't take good care of themselves, that's why so often they look like shit, lose their teeth, etc. No matter what your dad used as his poison of choice his teeth would have rotted because it's not the drugs that do it, it's the appalling lake of proper hygiene so often seen in addicts.

Again, you are blaming something other than the one person actually responsible for the problem.

Quote:
When he runs out of this medicine for the month he is an angry, hostile person that I do not want to associate myself with.
THEN DON'T ASSOCIATE WITH HIM. Don't be around him when he's acting like that. Don't reward bad behavior.

As far as "runs out of this medicine for the month" - assuming he is actually in a treatment program of some sort, he is being given a specific amount of drug to be used per day, no more and no less. If he's running out then either he is taking more than he should, or he is selling it. Either way, it's not indicative of a desire to either get clean, obey the law, or behave himself.

Quote:
For the past two years there have been nights when my dad calls me 100% drugged out and the only thing I can think about is if my dad is going to make it through the night or not.
Two point here:

First, as a general rule, if a drug addict is functional enough to make a phone call and stay on the line they're not in immediate danger of death. If he passes out during a conversation call 911, that is a serious sign, but hours of rambling, slurred speech, while disturbing, isn't really dangerous.

Second, this constitutes either emotional abuse, harassment, or both. Why do you allow this? This is not healthy FOR YOU. You are allowing your father's problem to because your problem - why? You need to get off the merry-go-round. See recommendation about counseling and/or support groups.

Seriously, YOU need to take responsibility FOR YOURSELF and do what you need to do FOR YOURSELF so you can have a good life despite having a messed-up dad.

Quote:
I am currently an economics major at UNH and this has completely distracted me from my studies, I can truly say that I do not care about school right now because my main focus is my dad getting better.
Why are you sacrificing your education and your chance at a better future for your father? YOUR FATHER IS NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. It is up to HIM to get better. You can NOT make him get better no matter what you do. Indeed, you may be enabling him in his addiction without realizing it.

Quote:
Every time I try to talk to him about being addicted and going to rehab, he grows extremely angry and aggressive.
THEN STOP BRINGING IT UP!

Seriously, you are not his mother. You are not his wife. He knows that rehab exists (having been there), he knows where help is. He doesn't want it. You can't make him want it. STOP TALKING ABOUT IT.

Quote:
It's to the point where I'm not sure what to do anymore, my mom tells me to ignore him because he only upsets me, but I know deep down he will always be the nice, caring, best friend that I once knew.
Not until he's off the drugs.

What should you do? NOTHING. There is nothing you can do right now. You can't make him want something he doesn't actually want. You can't force him. He wants and loves the drugs more than anything else in his life right now, including you. Until HE wants to get clean he won't.

Do what you mom says - ignore him. Don't have a relationship with him until he's clean and sober.

Quote:
I would like everyone to know how much this drug prescribed by doctors, methadone, can ruin your life, as well as your family's life.
Again, you blame everyone but the one party actually responsible. NO drug 'ruined" his life, or his family's life, his addiction did that. It really doesn't matter if it's heroin, methadone, crack, valium, or plain old alcohol. It's the addiction, and its associated behaviors, that fucks things up. It doesn't even have to be drugs - gambling addicts can be just as toxic.

Quote:
I hate pity stories more than anything in this world, I just wanted to share my story in hope that it will stop someone from doing either of these drugs. Not a day goes by when I don't wonder what my life would be like right now if my dad wasn't addicted.
Alright - NOW GO GET HELP FOR YOURSELF. Seriously. A support group for relatives of addicts or counseling or both. You need it.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseapink9 View Post
I sincerely hope that this response will help at least one person. I am entirely aware that any person in this world can become addicted to drugs, and I understand that many people who are addicted, as well as their families, wish that their lives were not like this. Unfortunately, my father is a drug addict and I would do absolutely anything in the world for his life, as well as mine, not to be like this. About eleven years ago, when I was eight years old, my father suffered from a work related injury. This injury resulted in him having up to thirteen surgeries over the course of five years, which eventually lead to him becoming hooked on pain killers. With my dad being out of work, my mom was only able to take a certain amount of time off from work, but I stuck to my dads side like glue and tried to take the best care of him as I possible could. Being an only child, my dad had always owned the most significant place in my heart (and always will), but while he was out of work, dad and I spent every waking second together. He was my best friend in the world and I would grow depressed if I went even three hours without him. I was young so I didn't realize my parents fighting, but as I grew older I grew aware of the tension in my household. My mom and dad were constantly fighting, which they had never done before, and my dad started acting so strange. Things were not the same around my house and when I reached the age of twelve the dad I had always known was no longer the best friend I knew my entire life, he was aggressive, irritable and I was frightened by him at times. My mom was constantly upset which upset me to the point where I was sick and could not attend school. At the age of thirteen my mom revealed that my father was suffering from a drug addiction to heroin. One week later my dad moved out and went away to drug rehab. When I received the goodbye phone call from my dad he was crying, this was the only time I have, and still to this day, ever heard my dad cry and I pray that it is the last. He was away for three months and was released from treatment, but the second he came home things acted up again. He was soon prescribed methadone, which was supposed to relieve the withdrawals he was suffering from at the time. Soon after he was prescribed he was using both heroin and methadone leading to another seven trips to rehab. I no longer knew the best friend I had once possessed. My dad was soon stealing from my mom for money to get drugs which lead her to filing for divorce (after being together since the age of fourteen). My father was extremely uncooperative as well as aggressive which lead to a restraining order, forbidding him from seeing her as well as myself. This absolutely killed me. I was not able to see, nor was I able to talk to my dad for months all because of drugs. My mom did everything in her power to help him get off of these drugs, but at this point it was nearly impossible. I am now nineteen years old and still suffering from this pain. The methadone completely rotted his teeth and he looks about ten years older than he should be. When he runs out of this medicine for the month he is an angry, hostile person that I do not want to associate myself with. He calls me mean names and tells me that he wishes I was never born, but I know and hope these comments are just the drugs speaking. For the past two years there have been nights when my dad calls me 100% drugged out and the only thing I can think about is if my dad is going to make it through the night or not. Lately he has been worse than ever, my dad is no longer the person I knew in the least bit. He looks old, pale, and worn. Every night I worry that I won't be able to speak to him the following morning, no matter how many mean comments he makes to me. I don't think my dad has said one nice word to me in over three months, he learned how to text message so he can express his anger when I do not pick up his phone calls. I am currently an economics major at UNH and this has completely distracted me from my studies, I can truly say that I do not care about school right now because my main focus is my dad getting better. Every time I try to talk to him about being addicted and going to rehab, he grows extremely angry and aggressive. It's to the point where I'm not sure what to do anymore, my mom tells me to ignore him because he only upsets me, but I know deep down he will always be the nice, caring, best friend that I once knew. I genuinely do not wish this upon any family, I would like everyone to know how much this drug prescribed by doctors, methadone, can ruin your life, as well as your family's life. I hate pity stories more than anything in this world, I just wanted to share my story in hope that it will stop someone from doing either of these drugs. Not a day goes by when I don't wonder what my life would be like right now if my dad wasn't addicted.
Unbelievable. I am so sorry to read this. I hurt myself at work, 3 surgeries and lots and lots of pain killers. Currently morphine and percocets. I pray everyday to keep it from affecting my life and the way I treat my family. Your story gives me some perspective and I will keep it in my head and try to learn from it. You went through more than any child should, God Bless.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Chelseapink9, you might try Al-Anon. It's for people who have loved ones who have substance use disorders. Or, if you can find it, you might try Nar-Anon, which is for people who have loved ones who are drug addicts. Either way, you'll find people who have experienced what you're going through, and who can help you get through it.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:14 AM

Chelseapink9
Remember your dad the way he was. He would have been extremely proud of you doing your studies. Try to stick with it and focus on your own future. It's such a tough thing for a young person to go through but remember that you also have an obligation to look after yourself. I hope the doctor who originally prescribed the treatment is aware of the outcomes. Good luck with the support group that the other contributor suggested. If you work with groups like this you can help raise the awareness.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_columbia View Post
Heroin used to be legal, and was a commercial pharmaceutical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ba...oin_bottle.jpg
Heroin can still be legally prescribed in the UK. Most drug maintenance clinics started switching to methadone in the 1970s but a small number of registered addicts still receive heroin. The advantages of methadone are:

it's longer lasting
it maintains its potency when taken orally (heroin loses much of its potency taken orally)

One of the disadvantages of methadone is that withdrawal is harder and longer-lasting than heroin.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 AM

Such wisdom, Broomstick(as usual).
Old 03-23-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgian View Post
Chelseapink9
Remember your dad the way he was. He would have been extremely proud of you doing your studies. Try to stick with it and focus on your own future. It's such a tough thing for a young person to go through but remember that you also have an obligation to look after yourself. I hope the doctor who originally prescribed the treatment is aware of the outcomes. Good luck with the support group that the other contributor suggested. If you work with groups like this you can help raise the awareness.
Hello, Georgian,

welcome to the SDMB. I just wanted to tell you that chelseapink9 will probably not read what you wrote, since he posted exactly once, four months ago, and nothing since.

And, if I may ask, out of personal curiosity, how did you find this thread and what made you register and respond to it? I'm just asking since this happens a lot (old threads getting re-animated, hence our name Zombie thread) and it's almost always by new posters who registered to post in a thread that is sometimes more than ten years old. chelseapink9 himself revived this very thread after 8 months of silence. I hope you don't take offence and stick around, as opposed to him.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:12 AM

Or maybe not...
Old 03-24-2012, 11:53 AM
ReMember

There seem to be a lot of folks out there who are more interested in stating their opinion than having a conversation. Though it's sad to see, I am not really interested in dealing with those types of folks, and the problem is fortunately self correcting.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:17 AM

Methadone

My uncle is finally getting clean after being addicted to heroin for over a decade. I have witnessed him die from a heroin overdose, and my family and I are lucky enough to still have him with us, as he was resuscitated. Even that wasn't enough of a wake-up call. I'm not 100% sure what it is in his life that has given him the motivation to really quit this time, but I can tell that he actually is going through withdrawal because of his vomiting/fatigue/irritability/etc.
The main reason I wanted to post here was to share the experiences that I have had concerning a person on methadone vs. a person on heroin.
When my uncle was on heroin, he acted very strange much of the time. He often had auditory and even visual hallucinations. He seemed wildly happy at times and then devastated at others. His mood changed very suddenly and somewhat often.
While he was on methadone, he didn't have such drastic mood swings. He simply went about his day as normal (Aside from his depression; however, he has had issues with depression before this whole ordeal) . He was able to maintain a job at a restaurant as a host, although they let him go because his teeth are somewhat decayed, probably from lack of self care. Instead of insanely affecting his mood and his behavior, it seemed to just keep him sane.