My new (non-human) baby!!! Also, share your own custom PC.

I’ve finally got her up and running, and boy she is a beauty! At 21" long and over 24" high, weighing approximately 1.5 tons (seriously, the case is huge), Starbuck has arrived in this world and made me the proud owner of a badass new desktop.

Of course, I have pics and specs:

CPU: Intel i7 950 3.07 GHz
Memory: 12 GB DDR3 SDRAM @ 1600 MHz
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W
HD: 1 TB SATA/600 7200 RPM 64MB buffer
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58
GPU: EVGA GTX 460 1GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF X full tower
DVD drive: Asus 24X DVDRW
Monitors: 25.5" Asus widescreen and a 19" Dell standard dual monitor set-up (had these before I got the computer)

This is my first custom build, and there was a bit of a struggle getting the motherboard to recognize all the memory (it kept posting 8 GB out of the 12 GB I installed). Turns out there is a long list of reasons this can happen including but not limited to: incorrect BIOS settings, too much tension on the heat sink, not enough tension on the heat sink, CPU mis-seated in the motherboard socket, faulty memory, faulty CPU, faulty motherboard, etc. After playing with it all night and even returning memory sticks for a different brand on the motherboard manufacturer’s “approved list” (I didn’t even know such a list existed when I first bought the components), I finally figured out the problem - it was actually a design flaw in the way Intel designed the 1366 CPU socket, and I had to reseat the CPU to fix it.

But anyway, now it’s recognizing all 12 gigs and I’ve been installing my programs onto it including the OEM version of Windows 7 Professional (which only cost me $130 from Newegg instead of the almost $300 retail price). Sooooo nice having a clean install of the OS with no crapware/bloatware pre-loaded onto it for once!

Also, I eventually plan to upgrade to 24 GB of RAM since the motherboard supports 6 slots of triple-channel and I am only using 3 right now. That was the reason for getting Windows 7 Pro instead of the Home Premium version, since the latter only supports up to 16 GB of RAM but Professional allows much more.

She is indeed a beast. Now I need a really graphics-intensive game to test with… lately I’ve just been playing SC2. (gaming wasn’t the primary reason for getting the higher-end gear: I do video and effects processing/editing that sucks up system resources like no tomorrow. But I game sometimes too)

Of course, not to just make this all about me feel free to share your own custom builds.

I am consumed by envy of your 12gb of RAM. Try playing some Civ V in dx11, see if it bogs down at the end game when you’ve all got a dozen cites and mass quantities of units.

I was on a super tight budget, I ended up only spending $400 - $500

Case - Thermaltake Armor — I got this out of the trash in perfect condition
PSU - Coolermaster something… ---- Was in the case
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard - M4A88TD-V EVO/U Socket AM3 880G ATX AMD Motherboard
Memory - Extreme Performance Sector 5 G Series 4GB DDR3-1333
Hard drive - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
DVD Burner - Pioneer DVR-118l ---- Already had this
**OS **- Windows 7 Ultimate — This too…
GPU - NVidea GT240 1 GB ----- I had to have something and had no money. It’s doing the job, for now…
**Monitor **- JVC 42’’ LCD — Had this… Add a couch, wireless keyboard and mouse, good to go… Resolution is limited but tis not bad…

Also my first build and I call her my baby as well, haven’t named her yet though.

My first was last June.
Nothing was salvageable from the old system(8 years old) so it was an expensive budget build. :wink:

Case
Cooler Master 335

PSU
Corsair tX 650W

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3

CPU
Intel i5-750

OS
Windows 7 64-bit OEM Home

RAM
Kingston 2X 4G

Drives
SABRENT Internal card reader
2-LG DVD/burner
Western Digital Blue 250G
Western Digital Blue 500G

Video Card
Gigabyte Radeon 5770

Monitor
Asus 23" LCD

Speakers
Logitech S-220 2.1

Input
Logitech Trackman and standard keyboard

56k modem(for faxing)

Blue LED fan (to prove I’m hip)

I just built my new HTPC. My first new build in a long time. First time I didn’t take anything from an old machine (other than a spare HDD with files on it, and the speakers).

Are these all “when I get my tax refund…” builds? :slight_smile:

Case: LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-C33B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156
CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
RAM: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Hard Drives: 640 GB WD Caviar Black SATA, 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA, 1TB other drive from other computer
Optical Drive: HP BD Combo
Video: PowerColor AX4650 1GBK3-H Radeon HD 4650 1GB
Monitor: 40" Sony Bravia
Speakers: Creative 5.1
Input: Logitec wireless mouse & keyboard, PC remote control

Since a video game will never cross the path of this machine, the pussy GPU doesn’t matter :slight_smile: I am a big proponent of airflow because my HTPC stays on 24/7, so I didn’t want to go too crazy with the CPU or GPU if I didn’t have to.

Cost me $1117 (minus the TV) Works like a charm!

I included pics, you guys have to as well. What’s a baby thread without pics? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve built all out pc’s - I tend to build on a tight budget, for affordable performance rather than blazing speed so I stick with AMD processors (although if I had the scratch I’d love to build a super-fast high-end Intel system).

Here’s the most recent system I built; my first quad core.

Case: CoolerMaster Elite 360 (desktop case)
PSU: Rosewill 500W RP5002
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640, with a Xigmatek Cobra D984 low profile cooler
RAM: WINTEC AMPX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1333
HDD: old WD 250GB SATAII - not sure of model #
Optical: Blu-ray drive
Video: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4830 512MB DDR3
Monitor: Acer 21" 1080P
Speakers: Logitech X-530 5.1 (only using the front channels, as I’ve nowhere to put the rear)
Input: MSFT Ergonomic 4000 keyboard, Logitech MX400 mouse, Belkin N52TE gaming keypad (all plugged into a USB switch that in turn is plugged into an older system, my work laptop, and my home server)

Most of my components were recycled in the last build - only the mobo, CPU, RAM and OS were new. It’s nothing special, but having the quad core is nice when I’m multitasking or transcoding video - doing any CPU intensive task used to bring my system to a crawl, and now it’s still pretty snappy.

Sorry, that should read “I’ve built all our pc’s” - “I’ve built all out pc’s” comes off as boasting. I don’t have the budget for boasting.

My PC is a flat black case with the few lights electrical-taped over. It sits on a shelf in a cherry cabinet against a dark brown wall in a room with poor lighting. I can barely see it, let alone capture it on film :slight_smile: