The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 03-04-2011, 06:43 PM

Have you ever found out that your coworkers were talking about you behind your back?

A coworker told me that a couple of guys that we work with were talking about me, saying how they really thought I should get a man and "get out" more. They were puzzled why I never talk about my social life (like everyone else does.) The coworker says she tried sticking up for me, but she didn't know what to say. Actually, I don't even know why she even told me about this conversation. I didn't really need to know about it.

I wasn't offended or anything, but it feels weird knowing that my personal life was being discussed. I've heard other people being talked about behind their backs. I've talked about others behind their backs. But I guess I never figured that I would ever be the subject of anyone else's conversations! Doh!

I don't plan on acting any differently around these guys or anyone else. I yam who I yam and I'm fine having no man (or ma'am) . I'm also not going to be making any grand confessions to anyone about why I yam the way I yam, because no one at work needs to know that kind of thing. But it did make me realize something for the first time. There are 40 something people on my floor. I don't know everyone personally, but you spend a few minutes every day in the breakroom and you eventually learn the salient features of everyone's life. I'm the only one in the group who's not dating, married, or ever been married. And it will probably always be like this. This realization doesn't make me feel sad or anything, but it does make me feel something. I just can't describe it. Oh well. Maybe it will pass.

So I guess I shouldn't be shocked to learn that I've been a "topic of the day." I am an anomaly. Might as well get used to it.

Has anyone else made a similar discovery (that is, that people were talking about you at work, in a not-so-good way)? How did you feel when you found out? Did the discovery make you change how you behave so you would no longer be a topic of discussion, or did you just let it roll off your back? I guess it all depends on what people are talking about. If the guys were talking about my horrible BO, I would feel embarrassed. But just about anything else wouldn't faze me. I wonder why that's so? Seems like the reverse would be the case, right?
Advertisements  
Old 03-04-2011, 07:12 PM
B. O. B. O. D. D. Y.

Yes, it's happened. In one case, a co-worker was bitching to a friend of mine about how I'm "the golden child who can do no wrong" in management's eyes so I heard about it pretty quickly.

I laughed it off at the time, because it was moronic to bitch to someone who was a friend of mine and who would obviously tell me. Plus, it turned out that the reason she was getting in trouble with management was due to doing a shitty job, due (at least in part) to being drunk at work. So, whatever I guess. Apparently not being a fuckup is a scandal to some.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Yes. I caught my boss gossiping about me with the lab manager, snickering about me.

That was the day I decided I would not pursue a career in academia.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:57 PM

People ALWAYS talk about their coworkers behind their backs, to differing degrees. Not a big deal to me.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

I've never caught them at it, but I've had a couple of jobs where I was damned sure they were - doing the "everyone stop talking as soon as I walk into the room" and giving me the cold shoulder and acting strangely towards me for no reason that I knew of. In some ways I wish I *had* found out what problem they had with me so I might have had a chance of dealing with their problems.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
If the guys were talking about my horrible BO, I would feel embarrassed. But just about anything else wouldn't faze me. I wonder why that's so? Seems like the reverse would be the case, right?
You'd be embarrassed about BO because that's something that normal hygiene should take care of, and if you were smelly it might mean that you were a slob.

The yam that you yam is something that you cannot change, any more than you could change the color of your eyes. You've come to accept it and are calm with it, so people talking about it doesn't faze you.

I've worked at a lot of places, and in every place people talked about each other. So I kind of expect it. Some places do seem to be worse than others.

However, I don't remember anyone telling me about it in much detail. Especially negative things. I'm not sure what my reaction would be.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:50 PM

I made one off-hand comment to a co-worker that I might not be straight. Pretty soon the whole store knew that I was gay. Not that I cared, but still--I hate the rumor mills places like that are.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyWt View Post
You'd be embarrassed about BO because that's something that normal hygiene should take care of, and if you were smelly it might mean that you were a slob.

The yam that you yam is something that you cannot change, any more than you could change the color of your eyes. You've come to accept it and are calm with it, so people talking about it doesn't faze you.
After thinking about it some more, I'm pretty sure if they had been saying racist or sexist things about me, I'd feel some anger. My race and gender are just as a part of me as my personality.

I guess maybe I could be bothered about those guys talking about me, but the feeling hasn't crystalized yet. Delayed reaction or something. . Perhaps I'll wake up in the middle of the night and think about what they might have said and the way they said it, and also think about the other conversations that other people could be having, and the sad feelings will come. But really all this thinking and imagining would be counterproductive. And it's not like they were being mean mean. It would have actually been mean--or rather rude, is more like it--if they come into my office and brought their "concerns" directly to me. So why should talking behind someone's back always be considered a social crime?
Old 03-05-2011, 01:46 AM

Much to my surprise, word got back to me after my lay off that I was quite popular. I had always maintained a professional persona and had not engaged in the office drama society.

It was noted, and as it turned out, I was missed.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:43 AM

Sometimes I wonder what my coworkers say about me behind my back. Then again, maybe it's not best to know such things.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 AM

I once overheard that all the guys I was working with (I was the only girl there at the time) were having bets on whether or not I'd had a boob implant...

I was a bit pissed off about it, but dammit- at the time, I couldn't even be arsed to shave my armpits, and was wearing (it was a fruit-picking job, not office work) clothes that didn't fit, and were riddled with holes, and they think I'd have a major operation to make myself more attractive to men?? Get real guys.

I damn well wasn't going to point that out to them though, if they were silly enough to think it, they can keep on wondering..
Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 AM

I'd be a lot more concerned about your so-called friend who "tried to stick up" for you. She's a shit-stirrer. Stay far, far away.

People speculate about the personal lives of their co-workers all the time. It's normal. What is NOT normal is trying to start workplace drama by reporting these conversations. She's either trying to get you worked up or deliberately trying to hurt you. Or, maybe fishing for info on your personal life to satisfy her own curiosity.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdosain View Post
I'd be a lot more concerned about your so-called friend who "tried to stick up" for you. She's a shit-stirrer. Stay far, far away.

People speculate about the personal lives of their co-workers all the time. It's normal. What is NOT normal is trying to start workplace drama by reporting these conversations. She's either trying to get you worked up or deliberately trying to hurt you. Or, maybe fishing for info on your personal life to satisfy her own curiosity.
Or, you're completely wrong.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:12 AM

Yes. I don't think it was a day long conversation, but yeah. I'm sure most people have had that. The only time it gets bothersome is when people who are nice to your face insult you when you aren't there. That part sucks.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Gwilliam View Post
Or, you're completely wrong.
Care to elaborate?

If this lady was a real friend, she would have kept this to herself, not tattling about a fairly innocuous conversation. It looks like it's had the desired result, too. The OP is now concerned that people at work are talking about her behind her back.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee View Post
People ALWAYS talk about their coworkers behind their backs, to differing degrees. Not a big deal to me.
This is my take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
Sometimes I wonder what my coworkers say about me behind my back. Then again, maybe it's not best to know such things.
Me too. And you're right. We're probably better off not knowing such things.

Quote:

I don't know if she's deliberately trying to hurt the OP. But I completely agree with you on the rest. Regardless of her motivations, the OP should stay away.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:50 AM

The closest I got was at college. Some people who knew me in high school were saying that I acted like I knew everything. I was paranoid about that sort thing in high school, and I thought it funny how I didn't care now that I was in college, and I actually knew it had happened. My only thought was "Wow, those kids are immature."

In the OP's situation, there's also the possibility that the woman felt guilty talking about monstro behind her back. It was my first instinct to share that sort of thing before I learned better. I'd want a few more data points before I'd assume she was a shit-stirrer.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Care to elaborate?
You're confidently making assertions about somebody's motivations when you don't know them, don't know any of the other people involved, and have pretty much no evidence to go on as to what exactly she said, or how she said it.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:33 AM

I always work in offices with a lot of younger women, so it's a common experience for me. I'd really prefer not to know about it, but it's pretty obvious when everyone stops talking when you walk in.

I once had a coworker tell me that she'd let me know if anyone said anything bad about me behind my back. I was like, "No! Keep it to yourself!" Those people are, IMO, shit-stirrers, and love to sit back and watch the drama. Fuck that- I'm much happier not knowing that so and so thinks I'm a whatever. It's especially damaging when I first start at a place, because I'm very shy and quiet at first, and people can get the wrong impression that I'm a bitch, I'm stuck-up, whatever. They tell someone that they think that of me, and that person tells me. Then they (the first person) gets to know me, and they forget that they ever thought or said that about me, but if I was told, I won't ever forget it. So, no- what other people think about me is none of my business!

Last edited by Alice The Goon; 03-05-2011 at 11:34 AM..
Old 03-05-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Gwilliam View Post
You're confidently making assertions about somebody's motivations when you don't know them, don't know any of the other people involved, and have pretty much no evidence to go on as to what exactly she said, or how she said it.
First of all, this is the internet. That's what we do. Am I supposed to wait for the videotaped conversation or a transcription? I gave my opinion, which is, coincidentally, the name of this forum.

Secondly, I offered up three options as to the friend's motivations. Hardly a confident assertion. I suppose I should have added a fourth option, namely that her friend is clueless.

Last edited by Erdosain; 03-05-2011 at 11:56 AM..
Old 03-05-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Well, soon she will be going to another job, far, far away, so I won't have problems with that.

I never thought she was trying to stir shit, but it could be. I wouldn't put it past her. Or, she could have thought that my feelings wouldn't be hurt by hearing about such banalities (I come across as rather unflappable about most things...a trait she has told me she admires about me), so she may have just thought she was relaying something I'd find funny. And I did laugh, so it's not like her assumption was incorrect.

There are worse things that they could have been said, if what she reported was accurate. I mean, they could have been saying something really mean, like "No wonder she's all alone. Have you looked at that face of hers!" Instead, it sounded like they were saying that I deserved to have a man because I am nice and pretty and all that. So really, what they said wasn't bad at all. It's just one of those things that I guess I never really thought people would be thinking about. "How to get monstro a man."

(And why would they assume that I would want a man? Why not a woman? I know statistically a woman is more likely to be heterosexual, but I'm fairly androgynous. If I came out as a lesbian, they'd be feeling pretty stupid, I'm guessing. In these modern days, you'd think people would approach such a conversation with few assumptions. Or maybe they did and I just don't know since I wasn't there.)
Old 03-05-2011, 02:12 PM

I'm absolutely certain my coworkers talk about me behind my back. But it's not really all that "behind my back" since people will learn something, have conversations, then someone else will approach me with questions. "Sooo, Julie, I hear..." I'm used to being that person.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
First of all, this is the internet. That's what we do. Am I supposed to wait for the videotaped conversation or a transcription? I gave my opinion, which is, coincidentally, the name of this forum.

Secondly, I offered up three options as to the friend's motivations. Hardly a confident assertion. I suppose I should have added a fourth option, namely that her friend is clueless.
You said: "She's a shit-stirrer". That's certainly a confident assertion!

As for the rest, well... whatever.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:14 PM

I agree with Erodosain. Beware of this coworker. Even if you give her the benefit of the doubt with respect to her intentions, it's still an insensitive move to run and tell someone what nosy things other people have been whispering behind their back, especially when it's something that has no relevance to work. What is monstro supposed to do with this newfound awareness? I think this coworker was being inconsiderate and I would have been annoyed with her.

To address the OP, I have no idea what people are saying about me behind my back and it's nothing I really spend a lot time worrying about. It's something I'm perfectly content being oblivious about. If these were friends, it would be different.

Last edited by you with the face; 03-05-2011 at 05:14 PM..
Old 03-05-2011, 08:57 PM

I'm always surprised when they're not.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 PM

I go on the working assumption that everyone else in my grad program is talking shit about me behind my back. I have no real reason to believe so; it's just a healthy case of paranoia!

But once or twice I heard that nasty things were said behind my back. I was madder than hell...even though I had said WAY worse things in the past about the person talking shit about me....
Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 PM

The workplace is no different than high school. More like middle school, IMO. Gossip and cliques and backstabbing are as common there as in the cafeteria. Look at the idiot men harrassing women (not so much any more out in the open, but listen to their filthy mouths when they think no one is listening) - girls got cooties! Say nothing about yourself or chronicle your every activity day and night, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't - because work is just like high school.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:33 AM

Is it possible to have a thread about whether we ever found out about coworkers talking behind our backs without in turn making comments about our coworkers behind their backs?

Dr. Moebius, you're needed in Irony, stat!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:50 AM

Kinda. A former boss of mine once claimed that another member of staff had complained to her that I'd been putting the company down a lot and 'the workplace wasn't as good as it used to be.' Nobody else had been there for more than a month at the time, so it wasn't possible for anyone to have said that. That boss gave me a formal final warning - against employment law, since no other warnings had been issued - and banned me from saying anything bad about the company to anyone else.

This company was doing pretty badly, so that was difficult - everyone was always complaining. I was actually one of the most positive people there at that point, because I'd been there longer and had seen the company in better times.

Straight after that meeting, I went into the staff room and the newest member of staff said 'has this room always been this disorganised?' Whether I'd said yes or no would have been a criticism! And claiming it wasn't disorganised would have been a lie that would have made me look insane. I couldn't win!

It's doubtful that this 'scifisam is being too critical of our wonderful company' comversation ever took place, but I know that said manager was talking about me with my colleagues, spreading barefaced lies, so the answer to the OP is yes.

I left soon after. Said manager fucked over everyone else who worked there too. Some of them, like I originally did, considered her a friend, but found out better. All she cared about was promotion, but she ended up driving that branch of the company into the ground within six months and losing her job altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesop View Post
Is it possible to have a thread about whether we ever found out about coworkers talking behind our backs without in turn making comments about our coworkers behind their backs?

Dr. Moebius, you're needed in Irony, stat!
Heh. But only if there our co-workers are on here.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiSam View Post
Straight after that meeting, I went into the staff room and the newest member of staff said 'has this room always been this disorganised?' Whether I'd said yes or no would have been a criticism! And claiming it wasn't disorganised would have been a lie that would have made me look insane. I couldn't win!
Ooh, an example of the "wife-beating question" sighted in the wild!
Old 03-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
The workplace is no different than high school. More like middle school, IMO. Gossip and cliques and backstabbing are as common there as in the cafeteria. Look at the idiot men harrassing women (not so much any more out in the open, but listen to their filthy mouths when they think no one is listening) - girls got cooties! Say nothing about yourself or chronicle your every activity day and night, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't - because work is just like high school.
I agree with this to a point; as a temp, I've worked in a lot of different companies, and I have actually run across one or two where I didn't get the impression that they were full of aged high-schoolers. By and large, though, there sure are a whole lot of people who stopped maturing at about 15.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:38 PM

I'm a project manager - I quite often have to get people doing rubbish tasks at short notice, mostly at the behest of senior managers (so no choice).

I've no problem with people whinging about me as long as the work gets done - all part of the fun of being a manager! It's generally not personal but is focused on work issues though, which is less of a problem. I know people do complain about me dropping jobs on them - I do the same only higher up the chain.

Last edited by Wallenstein; 03-06-2011 at 01:40 PM..
Old 03-06-2011, 02:48 PM

Yes. I actually overheard someone talking about me once. I had the audacity to wear a white sweater one day, and that offended her somehow.

Some other people I work with are reportedly "afraid to approach" me. They find my communication style "intimidating." What the fuck ever. Trust me, folks, with regard to the people I'm talking about, it really means it makes them feel uncomfortable when asked a question to which they have no answer. I'm sure there are legitimate complaints made about me behind my back, but on the bright side, I'm certain there are good thing said too. I work with a lot of people, and, like Haze says, everybody talks about everybody. I will sometimes meet people whose names I've come across but don't know, and the same is true of me for them, and they say, "So you're MOL. I hear you're an absolute bad ass at what you do." Indeed I am.

If people have an opinion about you, whether it's good or bad, they will tell other people. I'm fine with that.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:29 PM

I heard one coworker complaining to another that I was snippy with her and couldn't resist barking that I wouldn't be so bitchy if she wasn't so fucking loud. Which she was, all the time, which was why I could hear her talking about me two offices away.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:05 PM

Oh, absolutely. I hear about it regularly. Apparently I have decided to restructure the department. I'm not management, but hey - if they somehow think I have the power to do that, I've got a better reputation than I thought.

I'm also wrong about several things, despite the fact that the numbers they've provided to me in their report don't support the anecdotes they've relayed to me as the actual "data." For example, "Oh, I know! Can you believe overly won't address pricing with upper management (even though I've already done so twice, unsuccessfully)? Everyone we talk to wants the price changed!" But when I look at the figures, the price is actually lowest on the list of reasons people don't purchase our product. And if I'm going to look like a total asshat, I'd rather it be for a legitimate reason, not because I've suddenly turned into their flunkie and/or parrot.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:37 PM
BANNED

I agree people always talk behind people's back, especially at work. Why did this other co-worker tell you? Perhaps she wanted to stir?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Yes. I don't think it was a day long conversation, but yeah. I'm sure most people have had that. The only time it gets bothersome is when people who are nice to your face insult you when you aren't there. That part sucks.
Yeah, it does.

I knew a person at work that I thought was a good friend until I got wind of his trash talking. Since I work with him, there's no point in confronting him about it. I just stop accepting the invites for lunch, coffe breaks and hang-outs after work and has now been demoted to acquaintance.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 PM
BANNED

I think that pretty much everybody talks about everybody to some degree, and not always maliciously. One thing I always assume is that anyone who badmouths everybody else in front of you (there's always one of those) is also badmouthing you to everybody else.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:11 AM

I got wind once of a coworker strongly implying that I'd been stealing from the store. This same coworker smiled in my face while trying to plant the dagger between my shoulder blades. That was fun.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
Yes. I actually overheard someone talking about me once. I had the audacity to wear a white sweater one day, and that offended her somehow.
I've heard of "white wedding dress" objections, but white sweater? Was this a "never after Labor Day" thing?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:01 PM

I worked at a start-up 10 years or so ago.... one of my co-workers accidentally sent me an instant message (instead of another guy at work) which clearly stated that "RedBloom did this and that and boy is she dingy and stupid"... so I wrote back and asked if he meant to send that to me. One hour goes by, then he sends out an email to everyone at work stating that his IM was hacked and someone *else* wrote that. Uh-huh.

He was always so nice to my face, a real charmer. This bothered me terribly for a long time. Thankfully I was laid off shortly after.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 PM

Of course they're talking about me.

I have tiger blood.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:42 PM

The company I work for doesn't limit our internet access, so I used youtube as a radio, just leaving it up on one monitor and working on the other. A guy who sits behind started telling people here that all I do is watch youtube videos all day. He made an offhand joke about it one day, and I found this out after asking around. He's basically been telling people that I don't do any work, and apparently it's made it's way to some of the managers, including my own.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:04 PM

Seems having people talk behind your back at work is just the norm, I don't pay much attention to it. However, I have had a coworker approach me and want to speak confidentially, she told me something two other coworkers had said about me in a meeting that could affect me professionally... but finished with "I thought you should know, but please don't say anything because they'll know it was me". Umm, too bad, you brought it to my attention so I'm going to follow up on it.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:53 PM

A bad situation once.

I was working for a nonprofit that was organizing an international conference for unions of the working poor. Small group--5 employees total--and I was the new kid. Because we were so small, it didn't make sense to hire a van to pick up out-of-town guests, and I passed my opinion along to my boss, along with information about everyone's flight numbers and schedules: in years past she'd picked up international guests from the airport, and my understanding was that this was the schedule she needed to do it again that year. She left to go get ready for the conference (in another city), and I flew down a couple of days later, to find out that she hadn't picked anyone up from the airport and had concocted a story about how I was supposed to have arranged transportation for them. One poor guy from El Salvador didn't speak a word of English and ended up spending the night outside in downtown Atlanta before walking a dozen miles the next day to where he knew of another nonprofit that could help him out. My boss blamed me for the whole thing, claiming I'd never given her the list.

What's more, her hotel room was right next to mine, and I woke up that night to hear her bitching about me to my co-worker. I got up, knocked on her door, and chewed her out for it.

When we got back to our main office, I found the schedule of flights on the conference table where she'd left it. She was astonished when I gave notice, thinking that we'd worked everything out. To the day I left she never understood why I was leaving.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic View Post
I think that pretty much everybody talks about everybody to some degree, and not always maliciously. One thing I always assume is that anyone who badmouths everybody else in front of you (there's always one of those) is also badmouthing you to everybody else.
And if only our bosses would think of that, our lives would be so much easier ...
Old 03-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBloom View Post
I worked at a start-up 10 years or so ago.... one of my co-workers accidentally sent me an instant message (instead of another guy at work) which clearly stated that "RedBloom did this and that and boy is she dingy and stupid"... so I wrote back and asked if he meant to send that to me. One hour goes by, then he sends out an email to everyone at work stating that his IM was hacked and someone *else* wrote that. Uh-huh. <snip>.
You worked with Hal Briston?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

If my coworkers were only talking *behind my back*, it would be a significant improvement in our relations.