The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 03-17-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I'm not familiar with when they became famous...was it before This Is Spinal Tap that Fran Drescher, Bruno Kirby, Billy Crystal and Dana Carvey became well-known? I didn't know Fran until UHF...
I'd say anything pre-Nanny would count for Drescher; UHF also has pre-Seinfeld Michael Richards.
Advertisements  
Old 03-17-2011, 02:41 AM

Found another obscure film chock full of future stars: Glory Daze.

The main stars were Alyssa Milano and Ben Affleck, but the supporting cast included Sam Rockwell, Matt Damon, a pre-George of the Jungle Brendan Fraser and a young Matthew McConaughey.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Paul Giamatti making out with his girlfriend in public in Singles.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:27 AM

A little while back I watched the original '60s version of Psycho to the end for the first time, having only caught the shower scene before. I was shocked when at the very end as Norman was being locked in his cell, the jailer shutting the cell door was of all people Ted Knight of Mary Tyler Moore and Caddyshack fame.

I mentioned a couple of years ago in a similar thread that it's Richard Dreyfus as one of the students responding to Katherine Ross' scream in the tennament building when she learns her mom and Dustin were having an affair in The Graduate.

Last edited by lieu; 03-17-2011 at 09:30 AM..
Old 03-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Courtney Cox was a total unknown before she went dancing in the dark with Springsteen
Old 03-17-2011, 10:55 AM

I watched Superman (1978 with Christopher Reeve) recently and noticed John Ratzenberger, cast as "Controller 1," with two or three lines.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

O.J. Simpson shows up uncredited in an old "Dragnet" ep. IIRC, Sgt. Friday has a classroom full of inner city youths in an attempt to recruit them to join LAPD. O.J. is in the class, and has a full-screen shot of him with his one line "Are the tests hard?" Also, in that same class, there's a guy that has a slight similarity to Samuel L. Jackson, but I'm pretty sure it's not.

Last edited by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker; 03-17-2011 at 12:43 PM..
Old 03-17-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabellum1976 View Post
Samuel L Jackson in "Coming To America" as the guy who attempts to rob the fast food place where the main characters work.
He was also in "Goodfellas" as Stacks Edwards. Michael Imperioli was Spider, the kid that Joe Pesci's character shoots in the restaurant.

Zac Efron played young Simon Tam in "Serenity".

And the mother of all Lawrence Fishburne before-he-was-famous roles- as Tyrone in Apocalypse Now.

Tom Hardy played Janovec in "Band of Brothers".

Oh, and Bradley Cooper as the villain in "Wedding Crashers". (not sure if that counts or not; I hadn't heard of him at that point)

Last edited by bump; 03-17-2011 at 12:55 PM..
Old 03-17-2011, 12:58 PM

In A Bridge Too Far, Robert Redford leads a harrowing river crossing to take the bridge at Njimegen. In the crossing scene, the paratrooper directly behind him is a pre-Cheers /pre-Pixar John Ratzenberger.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

One I forgot: Jackie Chan is a henchman who gets his neck snapped by Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Call Me Shirley View Post
I watched Superman (1978 with Christopher Reeve) recently and noticed John Ratzenberger, cast as "Controller 1," with two or three lines.
And, of course, John Ratzenberger has a bit part in The Empire Strikes Back.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C K Dexter Haven View Post
Jack Nicholson in Roger Corman's LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS, as the masochist dental patient.

Just watched it on Netflix a couple of nights ago. I had to have Ms Hook come in and watch it again with me.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
A little while back I watched the original '60s version of Psycho to the end for the first time, having only caught the shower scene before. I was shocked when at the very end as Norman was being locked in his cell, the jailer shutting the cell door was of all people Ted Knight of Mary Tyler Moore and Caddyshack fame.

I mentioned a couple of years ago in a similar thread that it's Richard Dreyfus as one of the students responding to Katherine Ross' scream in the tennament building when she learns her mom and Dustin were having an affair in The Graduate.
Richard Dreyfuss also appears at the end of "Valley of the Dolls"

There are several episodes of the "Combat!" tv series where Ted Knight appears as a German soldier. When he speaks German, I always wonder if he is saying "it all started with a 5,000 watt station in Heidelberg". The DVDs have a 1999 radio interview with Rick Jason on one track where Jason praises Knight's ability as an actor, saying the often-repeated thought that actors will tell you that comedy is hard. Of course very few Academy awards go to actors in comedy roles.

Robert Blake as the Mexican kid who sells a winning lottery ticket to Humphrey Bogart in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre"
Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

I was in the room when a rerun of The Andy Griffin Show was on and heard a very familar voice. "That's Jack Nicholson's voice" I said. Yes, it was him in a very early role.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Son View Post
Robert Blake as the Mexican kid who sells a winning lottery ticket to Humphrey Bogart in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre"
Blake was Mickey in the Our Gang shorts well before that.

Last edited by jayjay; 03-18-2011 at 08:51 AM..
Old 03-18-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
And in Gandhi. He was the king of bit parts back then.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke
And in Gandhi.
In Gandhi though, they dubbed over his lines with someone else's voice, which is jarring if you're expecting his normal voice.

I assume it was a bad sound recording that had to be fixed in post-production, and Ratzenberger was busy elsewhere. (But I'm just guessing.)
Old 03-18-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Zac Efron played young Simon Tam in "Serenity".
Actually, that was in the Firefly episode, "Safe."
Old 03-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
Lawrence Fishburne, mentioned earlier, has a small role as a hospital orderly in Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors. The credits list him as "Larry Fishburne".
I'll see your Elm Street and raise you Apocalypse Now. He played 'Clean' Miller, the kid on the boat and was fourteen (having lied about his age).
Old 03-18-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by a Terminator, a Predator, and an Alien.
*cough* Lance Hendrickson *cough*
Old 03-18-2011, 06:38 PM

Oh, and my picks are:

A seven-year-old Angelina Joelie in Looking to Get Out.
Miguel Sandoval in Repo Man. He's Archie, the guy with the Mohawk.
Brad Pitt in a blink-and-miss roll in Less Than Zero. You see him for a second in the fight scene at the end of the movie.

Last edited by Linty Fresh; 03-18-2011 at 06:41 PM..
Old 03-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

In The Charge of the Light Brigade(1968), you can see a small tow-headed young girl featured prominently in a couple of early scenes at the outdoor party. That is the director's daughter, and those scenes have no bearing on the rest of the movie, just a chance for proud dad to say, "Look at my beautiful little girl:" Natasha Richardson.
Similarly, I'm 80% sure that the crying toddler in the airplane with Robert Morse at the beginning of The Loved One (1965) is also Richardson--but I haven't been able to corroborate it.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty Fresh View Post
*cough* Lance Hendrickson *cough*
Lance was mistakenly added as being killed by an alien. Actually, he survived the Alien in Aliens. In Alien3, the beginning of the film said he was one of the survivors on the escape pod/ship (along with newt, Micheal Biehn, and Sigourney Weaver,) but when it crashed on the prison planet, only Weaver survived.

Last edited by Superhal; 03-18-2011 at 08:17 PM..
Old 03-18-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Damon Wayans was the gentleman that handed Eddie Murphy the bananas for the "banana in the tailpipe" bit in Beverly Hills Cop.
On that note, Chris Rock was the valet at the Playboy mansion in Beverly Hills Cop II.

Youtube time
Old 03-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

In the one odd reversal of this that I can think of, I spotted Carl (Alfalfa) Switzer in his teen role in It's A Wonderful Life. He appeared in other films, but I've never recognized him.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with when they became famous...was it before This Is Spinal Tap that Fran Drescher, Bruno Kirby, Billy Crystal and Dana Carvey became well-known?
[snip]
What about Bruno Kirby?
He had a significant role in The Godfather II as the young Clemenza.

Last edited by The Other Jeffrey Lebowski; 03-19-2011 at 10:23 AM..
Old 03-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Pre-glee Jane Lynch as Old Christine' son's principal, Allan and Charlie Harper's therapist and Spencer Reid's psychotic mother.

Pre-That 70's Show Debra Jo Rupp as Seinfeld's agent and Friends's Phoebe's sister-in-law.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 03-19-2011 at 10:27 AM..
Old 03-19-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhal View Post
Lance was mistakenly added as being killed by an alien. Actually, he survived the Alien in Aliens. In Alien3, the beginning of the film said he was one of the survivors on the escape pod/ship (along with newt, Micheal Biehn, and Sigourney Weaver,) but when it crashed on the prison planet, only Weaver survived.
I won't hijack this thread, I won't hijack this thread, I wo--Oh, yes I will . . .

Welllllll, thanks to the alien, Ripley had to pull the plug on ol' Lance on the prison planet. I'd say we'd at least have to give it the assist. If a robber shoots a guy, and seven days later, they pull the plug on life support, it's still the robber who kills him, not the doctors.

And so it's not a total hijack, William H. Macy in 1980's Foolin' Around.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:49 PM
BANNED

Matt Damon played the cheater who tried to pin it on Brendan Fraser in "School Ties".
Old 03-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Welllllll, thanks to the alien, Ripley had to pull the plug on ol' Lance on the prison planet. I'd say we'd at least have to give it the assist. If a robber shoots a guy, and seven days later, they pull the plug on life support, it's still the robber who kills him, not the doctors.
But if a guy escapes from a robber, and is later in a car crash, that's not the robber's fault.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:45 PM

It never came out on VHS or DVD (I have a copy I recorded off HBO in the mid 1980s) but Jay Leno plays one of Alan Freed's sidekicks in 1978's "American Hot Wax". Not that Leno was that young, maybe 28, but it is disconcerting to see that chin as an actor when you are used to him as a talk show host.

There is some debate over whether Christine Baranski ("Cybill", "Mamma Mia") appeared as child actress Chris Charney in 1960s shows like "Combat" and "Brady Bunch". She denies it but there is no biographical data in imdb on Charney and her career seems to end about when Baranski's begins. I've seen the "Combat" epsidoe where she plays one of the girls in an orphanage and it looks like her (the caved in face cheeks).
Old 03-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There is some debate over whether Christine Baranski ("Cybill", "Mamma Mia") appeared as child actress Chris Charney in 1960s shows like "Combat" and "Brady Bunch".
Not any more. I won't post a link to her profile, but Ms. Charney is on facebook, and is about 4-5 years younger than Baranski. Having said that, there is a resemblance.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Sadly, I'm going to have to let this great trivia go. It was one of my favorites too.

He obviously survived being torn in half by the alien, and the next movie confirms it.

Maybe we should start an online petition or something to get him killed in the next franchise.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Leslie Nielson's IMDB lists 239 credits, but I think we can all agree it was Airplane (1980) that made him a household name.
Prior to that he did lots of TV and was the Captain in the Poseidon Adventure. If you catch the PA on TV you will see that he plays the Captain in the same deadpan manner that he played Dr. Rumack. Turns the first part of that movie into... something strange as you wait for the punch line.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Pre-That 70's Show Debra Jo Rupp as Seinfeld's agent and Friends's Phoebe's sister-in-law.
For that matter, Lisa Kudrow, who played Phoebe, also had a recurring role in Mad About You as the absent-minded waitress, Ursulla.

And, to further the Debra Jo Rupp connection, her husband (and Phoebe's brother) was Geovonni Ribisi (who was on My Two Dads as a kid, which also featured Paul Reiser, who was the male lead in the aforementioned Mad About You).
Old 03-19-2011, 06:08 PM

Remember Paul Reiser as the slimy corporate agent in Aliens?
Old 03-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Leslie Nielson's IMDB lists 239 credits, but I think we can all agree it was Airplane (1980) that made him a household name.
Prior to that he did lots of TV and was the Captain in the Poseidon Adventure. If you catch the PA on TV you will see that he plays the Captain in the same deadpan manner that he played Dr. Rumack. Turns the first part of that movie into... something strange as you wait for the punch line.
I would have thought you were old enough to remember him as Commander Adams in Forbidden Planet.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
It never came out on VHS or DVD (I have a copy I recorded off HBO in the mid 1980s) but Jay Leno plays one of Alan Freed's sidekicks in 1978's "American Hot Wax". Not that Leno was that young, maybe 28, but it is disconcerting to see that chin as an actor when you are used to him as a talk show host.
In a similar vein, Bill Maher as one of the cabbies in D.C. Cab.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Warren Beatty and Tuesday Weld on "The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis."

AND

Laurel & Hardy's "Way Out West":

In front of the saloon, L&H do their hilarious dance to The Avalon Boys singing "At The Ball, That's All." The guy in closeup doing the yodeling is Chill Wills, who parleyed the appearance in that movie into a long film career.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:40 PM

If Excalibur get a shout out, how about The Bounty (1984)? Okay, Sir Laurence doesn't count, but then you have Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins, Daniel Day-Lewis, Bernard Hill, and Liam Neeson.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:52 PM

Jeremy Renner, Oscar-nominated actor for The Hurt Locker (and who is scheduled to play Hawkeye/Clint Barton in the Avengers movie), was a patient on an episode of House.

Renner's had other roles before then, but nothing quite as high-profile as The Hurt Locker.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
Marg Helgenberger appears really quickly in a party scene in "Tootsie."
She had a bigger part in "The Cowboy Way," (1994) starring Woody Harrelson and Kiefer Sutherland.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with when they became famous...was it before This Is Spinal Tap that Fran Drescher, Bruno Kirby, Billy Crystal and Dana Carvey became well-known? I didn't know Fran until UHF, and Dana Carvey from SNL.
Fran Drescher said, "Are you as good in bed as you are on the dance floor?" to John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Nader View Post
If Excalibur get a shout out, how about The Bounty (1984)? Okay, Sir Laurence doesn't count, but then you have Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins, Daniel Day-Lewis, Bernard Hill, and Liam Neeson.
Mel Gibson was already widely-known by 1984, having already starred in Mad Max,The Road Warrior (a.k.a. Mad Max 2), Gallipoli, The Year of Living Dangerously, Mrs. Soffel, and The River. I would say he was a major star by then.

Last edited by cochrane; 03-19-2011 at 08:34 PM..
Old 03-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

I once saw Burt Reynolds in an episode of Flipper.

Or was it Sea Hunt? It had water in it.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:20 PM

During a spate of insomnia a while back, I saw Julia Roberts in an ep of Miami Vice, which was showing on the Sleuth channel. I feel slightly dirty for admitting I watched it purposefully. The wardrobe on the show is hiLARious now, though.

Wayne Newton was one of the multitude of guest stars on Bonanza. He was in a couple of eps in 1966, which would have made him about 24 at the time, but he looked approximately 14. And yes, he sang in both eps.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

A series of coffee adverts that ran in the UK in the 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igi9u6X4y-s
Old 03-19-2011, 09:36 PM

I saw De Forrest Kelly in an episode of Bonanza. He played, guess what, a doctor.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:42 PM

Before Robert Englund became Freddy Krueger, he played Whitey in the Jan Michael Vincent movie Buster and Billie in 1974. One of my favorite old tearjerkers, BTW.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohjonen View Post
Before Robert Englund became Freddy Krueger, he played Whitey in the Jan Michael Vincent movie Buster and Billie in 1974. One of my favorite old tearjerkers, BTW.
Same here. A surprisingly powerful little movie. I haven't seen it since it first came out. Is it even in print?
Old 03-20-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
I'll see your American Hot Wax, and raise you Good Times, 1976.

I've been seeing a lot of old Outer Limits episodes lately, and it's surprising who pops up on there. Ted Knight and Robert Duvall to name just a few I've noticed recently.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with when they became famous...was it before This Is Spinal Tap that Fran Drescher, Bruno Kirby, Billy Crystal and Dana Carvey became well-known? I didn't know Fran until UHF, and Dana Carvey from SNL. Billy Crystal was in Soap. What about Bruno Kirby?

I mean, I was born in 1973. Soap was first aired in 1977, so I only have vague recollections of its start. Billy Crystal could have been well-known in the stand-up comedy circles before then.
Billy Crystal was pretty famous solely because of Soap, because his character was one of the first (if not the first) openly gay characters on TV.