The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 03-20-2011, 01:29 AM

$2 bill-good luck or bad luck?

When my maternal grandmother was still alive, she was convinced $2 bills were good luck. She always gave them to us as kids, and the few times I see one I make sure to keep it. Imagine my suprise when I found out many people consider them bad luck. What do you think? And how often do you see one?
Advertisements  
Old 03-20-2011, 01:31 AM

I have not seen a 2 dollar bill in years, don't consider them either good luck or bad.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:32 AM

I've seen them once or twice and have no luck associations with them at all other than that some cashiers won't take them which is bad luck.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:34 AM

I consider $2 bills good luck. They are amazing conversation starters, whether it be with a random old person near you when you pay with a few of them or with the cute girl working the register at which you're using to pay.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lone cashew View Post
I have not seen a 2 dollar bill in years, don't consider them either good luck or bad.
Ditto. I just read something somewhere about Las Vegas gamblers considered them bad luck and to counter it would tear off the corners. The banks would get stacks of mutilated 2 dollar bills. (Now, where did I read that?)
Old 03-20-2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDriver View Post
Ditto. I just read something somewhere about Las Vegas gamblers considered them bad luck and to counter it would tear off the corners. The banks would get stacks of mutilated 2 dollar bills. (Now, where did I read that?)
I bet it was Somewhere On the Internet. That place has everything.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:22 AM

Good luck. I used to have one that I kept hung up in a frame when I was a kid.

I say any money is good money. I don't care about the penny on the ground heads/tails thing, either.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:49 AM

I too have never heard of luck being connected to them either way, just rarity and oddness.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:18 AM

Mostly fun-loving quirky oddness, soooo if I had to choose, good luck.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:54 AM

Neither. They just are.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:23 AM

Whenever I'm in the bank I ask for as many $2-dollar bills as they can give me, and I use them whenever I'd otherwise use two $1-dollar bills, just as I'd use a ten instead of two fives.

That's what they're for. Not for good luck or bad luck or "saving" or for quirkiness or loving fun. Where the hell does that come from? As long as you people continue to treat the $2-dollar bill like an oddity they'll never make cash drawers to accommodate them, and you thereby predetermine the "oddity."
Old 03-20-2011, 05:53 AM

They are what we use them for. If you prefer to treat them in such a mundane fashion, that's all well and good. That doesn't mean others cant have their fun.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:56 AM

When they first came out I considered them good luck and tucked the away into some fold in my wallet. I haven't seen one "in the wild" in years and rarely go directly to a bank. I'd snag a few if I thought about it though.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 AM

You can apparently buy uncut sheets of $2 bills that are actual legal tender. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak is a bit of a prankster, so he buys them and uses them to pay for things. He has a printer cut them into smaller sheets, bind them into pads, and perforate them so individual bills can be torn off.

Here he is showing them and talking about them, but he phrases it in a way that makes it sound like he's actually printing them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ1TIYxm1vM
Old 03-20-2011, 09:22 AM
graphite is a great moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDriver View Post
The "bad luck" thing is more of a generational divide. My mom, 88 this year, was from Southern Virginia and Southern Baptist. So, rather conservative. $2 bills were associated with gambling(specifically the $2 bet at horse races). So, every time you got a $2 bill, you tore the corner off to break the spell of bad luck. These were the old "red seal" $2 bills issued in the 1928/1953/1963 series.

As a coin dealer, I see 20-75 "red seal" $2 notes every day. And, I'd say 20% of them have a corner(corners) torn off.

The modern series of "green seal" $2 notes started in 1976. You hardly ever see corners torn off of green seal $2.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

I imagine they might be bad luck if you're married. Unless of course you have a really cool wife.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Travel tip:

If you go to Vietnam take a bunch of $2 bills with you to use at tips. There they are considered to be very lucky. I actually saw a young waitress in the airport that had one folded and stuffing in the ID tag she wore around her neck. I have no idea why they consider them good luck. If someone knows, chime in.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdname View Post
You can apparently buy uncut sheets of $2 bills that are actual legal tender. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak is a bit of a prankster, so he buys them and uses them to pay for things. He has a printer cut them into smaller sheets, bind them into pads, and perforate them so individual bills can be torn off.

Here he is showing them and talking about them, but he phrases it in a way that makes it sound like he's actually printing them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ1TIYxm1vM
Yes, I have a page of them. I used to collect coins and such and when I got the house a friend bought a page and had them framed.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolycus View Post
They are what we use them for. If you prefer to treat them in such a mundane fashion, that's all well and good. That doesn't mean others cant have their fun.
Fair enough! But I beg of you, after you've used them for your superstitious purposes, please, please use them! Get a coffee at Starbucks...play the exacta...tip the waiter with them! Only by inundating merchants with the Two can we force them to create a new section in the tray in cash registers. Until then, the Two will remain a second-class bill.

The Pro-Two Movement (PTM) is only starting, but "good-luck" and "bad-luck" games will certainly interfere with it's growing momentum if we lose sight of our greater goal.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

I always get a stack from the bank to use for tips in Vegas. That way the drinks get delivered promptly.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:30 PM
BANNED

Or is theres a dispute about the change you receive. But I gave you a 2!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. P. McMurphy View Post
Travel tip:

If you go to Vietnam take a bunch of $2 bills with you to use at tips. There they are considered to be very lucky. I actually saw a young waitress in the airport that had one folded and stuffing in the ID tag she wore around her neck. I have no idea why they consider them good luck. If someone knows, chime in.
I used to work in Orange County, which has a large Vietnamese community. $2 bills in red envelopes were passed around on Chinese New Year.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:14 PM

When I was a kid my Dad gave me one and said it was good luck so I tucked it in my wallet and have kept it ever since, transferring it from wallet to wallet.

When I was a kid I believed it was lucky and was fascinated by how Jefferson's (?) leg looks like it is twisted in the art on the back. Now I keep it because it reminds me of my Dad who passed away several years ago.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Non sum ergo non cogito

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lone cashew View Post
Haven't seen a 2 dollar bill in quite a few years. However, that's probably because 1 and 2 dollar bills are no longer produced up here.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:04 PM

American currency is very widely used in Cambodia; I had several $2 bills I used as tips. The recipients were delighted. When I ran out of the $2 bills I offered to buy them back at $3 apiece, but had no takers.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
Fair enough! But I beg of you, after you've used them for your superstitious purposes, please, please use them! Get a coffee at Starbucks...play the exacta...tip the waiter with them! Only by inundating merchants with the Two can we force them to create a new section in the tray in cash registers. Until then, the Two will remain a second-class bill.

The Pro-Two Movement (PTM) is only starting, but "good-luck" and "bad-luck" games will certainly interfere with it's growing momentum if we lose sight of our greater goal.
I don't know if you're male or female but love knows no bounds.

During most of last year I would get about $40 in 2s every few weeks and pay for single drinks at restaurants with them or use them as tips if it were given the okay by the waiter/tress. And remember, exellent ice breakers.

Now that I have a full time job and actual spending money, I need to start doing this again. I have been pro two for a while now, just never had the extra money to be getting twos from my bank.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:16 PM

There's a bar/restaurant in my town that gives you $2 bills as change when you pay for drinks at the bar. I always assumed they did that so you would tip the bartender more.

When I got married, our best man gave us an envelope with 28 - $2 bills in it (we were married on the 28th). It was a pretty cool gift and I kept it the whole time we were married.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

My parents were collecting two dollar bills for some reason when my youngest sister died of cancer - they didn't consider them good luck after that.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Door-2-Door Wikipedia Salesman
Charter Member

It's money. How can money be bad luck? In fact, I have a $2 bill right here... OW! Damn paper cuts.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 AM

If I'm playing the luck game, I usually count all unusual bills/change as good luck. That way I'm wanting to look for them.

I throw 50s in there, since they seem to be falling out of use. The only 50s I've gotten come from the bank, and those don't count anymore than finding a machine that always gives change in dollar coins if possible counts. (In college, I had pretty much all the dollar coins that were ever put into the vending machines due to this: the most it ever had was eight.)
Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 AM

I agree that it's a generational thing. I was told that they were considered good luck, but wasn't there a saying -- lucky as a $2 bill -- meaning unlucky -- that dates back a lot further?

In 1976 my class took a trip to DC. One place we visited was the Department of Printing and Engraving. Guess what they were printing that day?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:48 AM

Back in the day, friends and I would takes stacks of them to strip clubs any time one of us had a bachelor party. I would definitely put them in the "good luck" column.