The Tie Poll

One of the great questions of mankind (in this sense, meaning malekind), another one forthcoming shortly.

Oftentimes, in TV, movies, and advertisements, I always see the man either getting his tie tied by his spouse, or using a mirror. I’ve found that quite odd as we don’t do that for any other article of clothing, including tying our shoes (which also involves tying a knot).

My personal tie-tying history is that I’d either get my ties already looped (package deal with the shirt) or my mom would tie them, and then I’d take great pains to leave them looped after I’m done with them so that I don’t have to get them tied every time. After I got married, though, I figured I’d teach myself, and http://www.tie-a-tie.net/ was a good aid for me. I don’t even use a mirror except to check the finished product.

I’m curious as to others’ personal tie-tying history

I tie my own ties, sans mirror. Learned how to when I was a kid, taught by my sister.

When a woman ties a tie for a man on TV, it’s because he’s flustered/nervous, she’s calming him down, and the finished product shows how they are able to get through this… together. In other words, it’s just a dramatic convention to show how much he needs her. :wink:

My first job, when I was still in high school, required me to wear a tie, so I learned. I can still easily tie my own, but I do use a mirror to aid me.

I need a mirror, but just initially to check the length. I’ve been tying them since high school.

A couple of years ago I had to help someone. That was just weird. I don’t think he’d ever worn a tie before in his life. And he was in his mid-40s!

I not only tie them myself, I usually have to tie them for my male debaters, who are often woefully lacking in basic sartorial skills.

I blame the French.

You shouldn’t let the kids who take French on the debating team, then. German, Spanish, conversational Japanese and Latin ONLY!
Oh, and I don’t use a mirror to tie my own tie.

Myself.

Always by myself, but always in front of a mirror, out of habit. At least as I’m finishing it off. I’m guessing I could do it without a mirror, but I’d be more likely to have to redo it a couple of times to get the length right.

If you’re an adult male and you can’t tie your own tie you should be ashamed of yourself.

Well, unless you live somewhere where men don’t wear ties. Or you’re a caveman.

I always tied my own from age 15 on but I have worn a tie only a few dozen times in the last 16 years. I love the new world of business without ties and suits.

I’m guessing plenty of 20-somethings don’t know how to tie a tie as it is becoming an archaic piece of clothing now.

Never been able too. If I have to do it myself, I can usually figure it out with a mirror and the internet, but it probably won’t look so good. I try to always have one knotted, but otherwise have someone else do it for me.

Now for the funny story. My (ex)wife and I were walking into my grandmothers visitation portion of her funeral. The part in the funeral home. As we were walking in, I had my tie in my hand and I was bitching to my (ex) wife about how annoyed I was that it wasn’t knotted and I need to go and find my dad before everyone else gets there so I he can tie it for me. As I was saying that, the person who directs you to the room where your visitation is over heard me and offered to tie it for me. He looped it over my head and very quickly tied it I looked at him and said “Thank you, that’s the first time someone has ever tied my tie from the front…ohhhh”*

*If you didn’t catch it, he’s a funeral director has tied a lot of ties from the front, on bodies. I probably wouldn’t have thought anything of it, but I knew him and knew that he was a funeral director and not just some guy directing people.

When I was in elementary school I had to wear a tie every Friday, and in junior high I think we had to wear one every day, so I learned. I had to wear one this weekend. I don’t need a mirror, though usually use one to check the length. Given that I wear a tie about once a year these days, it is clear that my fingers know how without my brain even being involved.

I learned how to tie a tie in cub scouts. Just the basic 4 in hand, later I learned about half and full windsors.

I don’t think I could tie one on someone else. That’s all backwards and reverse.

However, I sometimes on a Friday night get all backwards and reverse when I tie one on…

I agree, also it’s a way of demonstrating “caretaking”.

My son wore a tie every day in Catholic school, they used clip-ons for the little boys, but had to wear a “real” tie starting in 6th grade. He tied it himself. The first three years involved some very sorry-looking knots, I swore sometimes he was tying it with his feet; but by 9th grade, he was a pro.

The trick, as someone who needs someone to tie it for them, is to stand behind the person and act is if your tying your own tie (which is a very wordy way of not saying “stand behind them and reach around”).
Alternatively, you can tie it yourself and then loosen it and slip it over your head and the other person can slip it on and tighten it.

Well yeah I’ve frequently done the tie it on my own neck and loosen for someone else. Nephews etc…

Just going to leave that whole “reach around” thing alone.

I do it myself, but always in front of a mirror.

When I was in high school I only had to wear a tie on special occasions, and my mother or father always did it for me. When I started teaching at my present school, I knew that I would have to wear a tie daily, so I looked up the instructions online. Now I could tie it in my sleep if necessary. Given how sleepy I am in the mornings, sometimes I almost do.

My sister used to tie them until I went away to college. While in college I started going to a church where I’d wear a tie (not required, btw) just for the sense of occasion. So I quickly noodled it out for myself and have been tying my own ever since.

Ad did I. :slight_smile:

Stand behind them and tie it.