Accidentally disabled my touch pad - need answer fast!

Gaaaaaaaaaaaa! I accidentally disabled the touch pad on my dell laptop (the lap top was falling off my lap and I grabbed it and must have hit the exact keys required to turn it off) and I can’t get it back on and don’t have a mouse. Being as you guys are the smartest in the world someone must know how to enable it.

Help me Obi-wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope!

ETA I’m running Windows 7

What kind of Dell laptop is it? The only way I know of is through Control Panel.

Likely the function (Fn) key plus one of the F-keys. Look on your keyboard: is there any key with an icon that seems evocative of a touchpad (likely resembling a rectangle with a hand on it)?

It’s an Inspiron N5030. I managed to get to the control panel and it says the touch pad is on but the pointer won’t move and the icon on the bottom right has an X on it.

I there’s a key that maybe looks like a touch pad but when I do the function key with it, nothing happens.

Arg!

ETA Just found out that X has nothing to do with the touch pad.

Maybe a Restart would help?

Restart was the first thing I tried. :frowning:

Can you call Dell customer support? My roommate in college had a Dell laptop and she was on the phone with them every couple of weeks and it didn’t cost her anything.

I may have to try that but I thought I’d check here first rather than sitting on hold for an hour.

Sofis, I found the relevant key - it works without hitting function which was why it wasn’t working when hit fuction. Thanks!!

Yes, I am a complete Luddite…

For future reference, if you look at your touchpas kinda sieways (so you have a slight glare on the surface) you’ll see a dot in the upper left-hand corner of the touch pad. If you tap that dot, you can disable/enable the touch pad.

Not that I found that out the hard way…:smack: