Any US soldiers that served in WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam?

With a birth year around the turn of the century it would seem mathematically possible. Are their any examples?

Doubtful. While there were certainly people living during the Viet-Nam era who had memories of the Great War, I doubt any of them were still active, in the army or anywhere else. Assuming the guy enlisted at the tail end of WW1 (i.e. born in 1900 or thereabouts) he would still have been in his late 60s by the time of Viet-Nam, with 50+ years in the service. Even generals get retired or kicked upstairs earlier than that.

At any rate, Douglas Macarthur is the closest I can think of - he served in both World Wars, got the boot during the Korean War and died a couple months before the Gulf of Tonkin incident.

Rickover had 63 years service, but started in 1922.

So fair chance someone did it somewhere.

Otara

Shucks, you could argue the case for Eisenhower: graduates from West Point in 1915, spends WWI on active duty training tank crews; serves as a five-star general during WWII; becomes commander-in-chief during the Korean War, and only leaves office years after deploying military personnel to Vietnam.

In the 19th century Winfield Scott served in the War of 1812, Mexican War and Civil War. Later on Joe Wheeler served in the Civil War for the Confederacy, the Spanish-American War (where in the heat of battle he allegedly said “we’ve got those Yankees on the run”) and the Phillipine counter insurgency.

He wasn’t in WWI, but Rudy Boesch served as a frogman at the tail-end of WWII and received the China Sevice Medal, was a plank owner for SEAL Team Two, and served on the teams for the rest of his career, including deployments in the Korean and Vietnam wars.

Well, there was David Hackworth, who served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam (WWII in the merchant marine, and then postwar occupation duty in the army—he lied about his age).

Skipping forward a bit, one Major Steve Hutchinson, a Vietnam vet, died in Iraq at the age of 60 in 2009 (he’d re-enlisted when he was 57).

MY father served in WWII, Korea, and in Viet Nam, in combat zones in all three. My grandfather served in WWI and II, but was retired during Korea, without deploying there. Since his class graduated and were commissioned early because of WWI, he became a second looie at the age of 17, (Third youngest in American military history, in fact.) it seems unlikely that many others had the opportunity to serve all three.

Keep in mind at the end of all three of those wars there were massive riffs in grade for anyone who stayed in the service after the various treaties. Few did. My grandfather had already scheduled his retirement before the beginning of hostilities in Korea, and did not qualify for service awards for the conflict.

Tris

Skipping back a bit, Winston Churchill managed the Boer War, WW1, WW2, and was in Parliament for Korea. He died in 1965, just missing Vietnam.

In an earlier time, you have Gebhard Lebrecht von Blucher (1742-1819) who enlisted at age 16 to fight for Sweden in the Seven Years War and at age 72arrived in time to help beat Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo. I particularly like the part about “bathing his wounds in brandy and fortified by liberal internal application of the same.”

My Father Served in WWII as an infantry scout in the first Marine Division through the Pacific. He also served during the Korean conflict (in Korea), the Dominican Republic dustup (in the Dominican Republic) (yes, we fought there and Marines were killed) and in the war in Viet Nam (in Viet Nam, Tet of '68).

I served in Viet Nam only (‘70, 71’ 72). Years later, he and I were watching a TV documentary about the fall of Saigon and he turned to me and asked: “Why is it that all the ones we send you to . . . we lose ?”

Were there guys who served in WWII, Korea, Vietnam and the Gulf? I mean actually served in front line positions?

Blucher!

(terrified whinny)

My father was born in Belguim in early thirties, so survived (but not served) WWII, immigrated to the states and joined the USAF in time for Korea (served Stateside) deployed for Vietnam.

He did not miss Vietnam. All depends on where you draw the line about Americans actually fighting in Vietnam. ( What the government says vs what the bodies say. )
*::: damn historians :::: * :rolleyes:

I know this is an old thread, but if you want to include Churchill you could add Sudan, Cuba and India. However I think WW2 is a bit of a stretch as he wasn’t a combatant. I’m not sure a MP counts as serving.

He was First Lord of the Admiralty, wasn’t he? And he was definitely in harm’s way.

I think you are British so you would be aware that First Lord of the Admiralty is not a combat role. He would have been no more in harms way than anyone else in London (apart from his boozing). He was probably less in harms way given the secure bunkers and meeting rooms provided.

Not exactly it, but Omar Bradley (1893-1981) retired from the military after Korea but was an important advisor to JFK and LBJ and did visit Vietnam and meet with brass. (Picture of him in Vietnam.)

My initial thought was Gen Westmoreland. (William Childs Westmoreland, March 26, 1914 – July 18, 2005) He missed WWI though.

I see this thread is compiling a long and distinguished list of military leaders.