Is there a way to rotate a .mov video file 90 degrees?

I have a short .mov format video file that was recorded with the camera rotated 90 degrees. For some reason, I thought it would automagically display it in a portrait orientation, they way is does when I shoot still pictures the same way. It does not. :smack:

Is there any way to rotate a this video so it appears in a normal orientation, with people standing upright instead of on their sides?

Not without pain and/or expensive software.

I have heard that Jashaka (now known as CineFX) can do this, and it is an open source cross-platform solution. However I have not tried - when I had the same problem I reshot the footage.

Adobe Premier can also rotate movies, but it is quite expensive.

I’m pretty sure this is just incorrect.

Bink(free) can convert.mov to .avi
VirtualDub (also free) can rotate it (and, I think, add black borders if you need it to fit some specific aspect ratio)

That doesn’t seem very painful to me. Given a little longer to think on it. I’d be surprised if there isn’t a bit of freeware out there that will do it in one shot. (Maybe one of the forks of VirtualDub can actually do this).

DVDVideoSoft will do it. I downloaded it for free when I had videos with the same issue. Easy program and best of all FREE: Free Studio | World's #1 Freeware Suite by DVDVideoSoft

The registered version of QuickTime (7?) would do it. I dunno if 10 does.

There are several free downloadable software/shareware, that will do exactly what the OP is asking. Just google it.

VirtualDub only works with AVI files.

Thank you! I already had that, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Out of the box, yes (which is why I suggested using Bink to convert as a first step), but there are plugins available for VirtualDub to enable it to open other formats. I wasn’t sure whether VirtualDubMod or some other fork might have encompassed MPEG4, but it appears not.

This free program will do it.

http://www.movierotator.com

You need QuickTime installed but it will work with QT light if you don’t want the whole QT package.

:slight_smile:

Thanks very much for the tip. I downloaded it and it worked quite seamlessly. Thanks again. (Now I won’t have to watch videos only laying on my side).

Reported