The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 PM

The end of Oprah thread --lets celebrate!

A thread for non Oprah fans. We never drank the O Kool-Aide.

I never found her show the least bit interesting. Never liked Phil Donahue or Jerry Springer. The entire boo hoo, I'm so traumatized & I need a hug talk show format never did a thing for me. I rather go out in the yard and pick up dog turds. It's a better use of my time.

For me the sun never rose out of Oprah's butt.

Any other non-Oprah fans want to join in the celebration? Sadly she's not really gone. We still got the all mighty O Network to contend with.

There's plenty of Oprah threads for the O lovers out there if you want to praise her to the high winds. Please don't rain on this thread.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-22-2011 at 10:28 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 05-22-2011, 11:29 PM

Well, I'm not much into celebrating because, since I never watched it*, its absence will not really improve my life.

But while I just can't find it in me to be either sorry or happy it's gone, I don't mind toasting its demise with a mojito. Cheers!

*Okay, I watched the Million Little Lies guy's episode and Tom Hanks jumping on the couch.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 05-22-2011 at 11:30 PM..
Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
*Okay, I watched the Million Little Lies guy's episode and Tom Hanks jumping on the couch.
I think you mean Tom Cruise.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:41 PM

I have no interest in Oprah, but I congratulate you on opening your own thread to celebrate her show's demise rather than threadshitting the threads for people who like her stuff.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:48 PM

Honestly, I've paid little attention to Oprah or her show for the past decades. Much like Phil Donahue I made a point to skip that channel in the afternoons.

But, the unrelenting press coverage drumbeat is pretty hard to ignore. They've been beating that frigging drum for months now. I'll be glad when she's gone and they shut the heck up. Can't bring up cnn.com without seeing an Oprah story these days. sigh....

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-22-2011 at 11:50 PM..
Old 05-23-2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
I think you mean Tom Cruise.
Yes. How very embarrassing.

I'm gonna lay the blame for this on the mojitos.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 05-23-2011 at 02:52 AM..
Old 05-23-2011, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

I'm happy to see her go. I always hated the whole group-think attitude of "I only read what Oprah wants me to read".
Old 05-23-2011, 02:55 AM

I'm sure she'll just be replaced by some other garbage. It's not like her fanbase has gotten any more intelligent / employed, and they are gonna need some shit to watch in the middle of the afternoon, damnit!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:20 AM

Good point. Here she's on from 4 to 5 in the afternoon. If I'm home then I turn on the local news at 4:55. For some reason, the local news likes to start a couple minutes early. That means seeing the closing credits of O's show.

I guess next week we'll find out what crap replaces the big O.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-23-2011 at 09:21 AM..
Old 05-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Honestly, I've paid little attention to Oprah or her show for the past decades.
She has a TV show?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:38 AM

If only it were the end of Oprah. Now that she's no longer committed to a daily show, she'll have that much more time to horn in on other media. I expect she'll be self-promoting more than ever, what with a whole network to plug.

I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. Her massive ego won't be able to handle being out of the spotlight for long.

Last edited by Wheelz; 05-23-2011 at 10:39 AM..
Old 05-23-2011, 03:08 PM

No cite, sorry. But I believe that Rosie O'Donnell is taking over the time slot.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazle Weatherfield View Post
No cite, sorry. But I believe that Rosie O'Donnell is taking over the time slot.
"...and Rumor walked blazing among them..."
Old 05-23-2011, 06:48 PM

One time, watching clips of the housewives in her audience screaming in adulation at some stupid giveaway (not a car or anything so expensive on this occasion) it occurred to me. This is a cult. The most successful cult in history. There's no rational reason these women would scream that way over minor crap, they're totally brainwashed into Oprahism, it's the only way.

The Sunday paper this week had an Oprah story as the front page headline. Either it was a REALLLY slow news day (week?) or they've been converted.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
"...and Rumor walked blazing among them..."
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...o-studios.html

Yeah, stupid Rumor...
Old 05-24-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
One time, watching clips of the housewives in her audience screaming in adulation at some stupid giveaway (not a car or anything so expensive on this occasion) it occurred to me. This is a cult. The most successful cult in history. There's no rational reason these women would scream that way over minor crap, they're totally brainwashed into Oprahism, it's the only way.

The Sunday paper this week had an Oprah story as the front page headline. Either it was a REALLLY slow news day (week?) or they've been converted.
Meh, people seem overly happy on Ellen, too. I think they just think that's what they're supposed to do. You only need a few to think that, and everyone else will follow. It doesn't have to be a cult, just a little bit of a mob mentality that looks good on TV. Heck, you could probably hire people to do get the crowd stirred up.

Anyways, a cult needs seclusion to really qualify. This is just mob mentality. And if the cult was working, why is she having to get her own network?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I guess next week we'll find out what crap replaces the big O.
Please, God, let it be Uma.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

I'm kind of ambivalent about her retirement. I feel about Oprah sort of the way I feel about Queen Elizabeth.

1. I question whether their professions have any value and should exist at all.
2. Neither of their professions has any direct effect on my life.
3. As individuals, they seem to be doing as good a job as anyone in their profession could be expected to.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
And if the cult was working, why is she having to get her own network?
One show vs many shows MWAH HAH HAH
Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 AM

One of her guests from several years ago was just interviewed on the local NPR station. I didn't catch his name, just that he was blind and had written a book, and was on Oprah's show. He said it was obvious that she hadn't read his book (or even bothered to have someone else read it and tell her what it was about) because all of her questions and comments were irrelevant. He said she didn't talk to any of the guests during breaks, actually looked away from them.

I'm wondering if, now that she doesn't have a broadcast show, we'll be hearing from more people with unflattering things to say about her.

One of the people on the radio program says we need to give Oprah credit for the trend toward less Springer-ish talk shows. I'm going "What?" We still have Springer and Maury and Steve Wilkos and all those reality shows that are nothing but confrontation (some physical). Oprah hasn't had any impact at all in that area. Just because there's no hair-pulling on Dr. Phil doesn't make his "quieter" show any less ugly. Put all your personal issues on TV. Yeah, that'll fix things.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:03 PM

I don't know how much I am going to believe a blind guy's claim that someone wasn't looking at him.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 PM

I'll celebrate with you. I can't stand Oprah and her cult, and yes it is a cult, much more than the other celebrities I think. The phrase "Do you watch Oprah?" always makes me cringe.

: raises mojito :
Old 05-25-2011, 02:04 PM

My first college roommate watched Oprah and constantly talked about her. Unfortunately, we shared a cramped dorm room so I couldn't get away from it unless I left the room. Fortunately, I usually had class during those times anyway. Still, I just don't get the appeal of Oprah... or talk shows in general.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:14 PM

I believe her time slot will be filled with...
reruns of Oprah.

Seriously.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:30 PM

I am raising the mojito as well. Don't let the door slam on your way out, please.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricciar View Post
I don't know how much I am going to believe a blind guy's claim that someone wasn't looking at him.
Good point. He mentioned that his father was in the audience so maybe his dad told him, or another one of the guests noticed it. He said that she didn't look at any of the guests during the breaks.

The interview included a SNL Oprah parody that I haven't seen, but I'm gonna look for it. It was funny (on the radio).
Old 05-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Confusing the polarity
Charter Member

Sign me up. I never saw the allure of Oprah. She seems very narcissistic to me (isn't she on *every* cover of her magazine? I remember a comedian doing a routine about it once: "Here's Oprah pretending to be sad...here's Oprah pretending to care about what she's looking at...") and I just don't see what's so great about her to make her worth all this adulation.

I wish her well, but I find her very annoying and I won't miss her show (which I've never seen).
Old 05-25-2011, 05:19 PM

Also not a fan of Oprah. She's annoying and seems to make everything about her. She's a good businesswoman, though. (Obviously.) Glad her show is over.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:28 PM

I think anyone put in the 4pm time slot ( EST) would do well.

Oprah found a voice with the Rise Up Against The Shit and Be Your Authentic Self talk, which is fine and dandy, but the whole phrase of Authentic Self makes me a bit stabby. I get what she is saying, but it's overdone.

She made alot of women and a few guys really happy and found whatever it was they were looking for.

I never got her cult like status at all. I wonder when she will be declared a God.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
I'm sure she'll just be replaced by some other garbage. It's not like her fanbase has gotten any more intelligent / employed, and they are gonna need some shit to watch in the middle of the afternoon, damnit!
I thought Tyra was going to replace her, but I guess she wasn't as likable as Oprah.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

I'll admit it--I watched the finale. Found out Oprah was the result of a one time encounter between her parents.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:47 PM

I forced myself to watch most of the final show, but more and more it sounded very much like a sermon. Then she started talking about God, and I stopped watching.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricciar View Post
I just laughed so hard I think I woke The Napping One, dammit
Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM

I was never a fan of her show. I don't like that type of talk show though. I have no problem with her and from what I've read she does some cool, decent stuff for other people. More than I can say for most people.

So who will fill that slot now? Probably someone equally annoying.