The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 06-13-2011, 02:21 PM

Should I Dye My Beard?

At age 61 I need to be on the job market again. I would like to look a little younger. While my hair is salt & pepper, my beard is all white. I will either dye my beard (and possibly my hair as well) or shave it off (the beard, not the hair). Anybody out there do this? Know someone who did? I like my beard & it is an important part of my self image, so I would like to keep it.
Advertisements  
Old 06-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Word. I'm turning 49 in July. I've started using Touch of Gray on my head and dye on my beard. I simply hate how white my beard was getting. 80 % gray, and I look older. Now I feel a bit better about the look.

Downside? Touch of Gray keeps some gray. The beard, well, I look like a GI Joe doll for the first few days because of how very uniform and dark it is. Tempted to try Touch of Gray in my beard even though it warns against exactly that.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:38 PM

For the record, I've used regular hair dye on my beard, and have had no trouble at all. I'm seriously contemplating taking it up again, since my beard's now gone almost completely gray.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:22 PM

Don't add years

Clean shaven is the best way to appear younger and compete.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:29 PM

I'm 65, and have a gray goatee, while the hair on top has only a few gray hairs. Back when I was in my 50s, when the goatee started to turn gray, there was a period in which I dyed it, to match my head hair. It looked fake. I finally decided to either shave off the goatee or leave it gray. If you want to look younger, shave it off. If you want to keep is as part of your character, leave it gray. Anything but dying it.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Clean shaven is the best way to appear younger and compete.
+1

I see older guys at our company dyeing their beards and it is very obvious. It says, "I'm insecure about my appearance!" That's the last thing you want to communicate.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Guys, guys . . . where are the pictures?

Scarlett, who rather likes her hubby's graying bread, and so does he
Old 06-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Soul patch, definitely. And get yourself some of those rectangular coffee-shop hipster glasses and a Bluetooth earpiece, and be draining the dregs of a Red Bull just as you walk in.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Soul patch, definitely. And get yourself some of those rectangular coffee-shop hipster glasses and a Bluetooth earpiece, and be draining the dregs of a Red Bull just as you walk in.
Why does an image of Billy Bob Thornton keep popping into my head as I read this?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:45 PM

Dye. I look younger without the white patches. Don't do it too dark. Better too light.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:58 PM

Shave it.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

It seems to me that most men get grey hair in their beards either before or at the same time as grey hair on the head. So some grey on the head and no grey in the beard would look rather weird to me. Also, most 61 year olds look old enough that some grey hair - especially in the beard - is expected, and hair dye is obvious, and doesn't often look all that good, since it's rather obvious that it's dyed. I'd like to think that this doesn't play a role in companies deciding to hire qualified employees, but unfortunately, I think it does, and I think that in many men, hair dye is obvious enough that people may react negatively to it.

Then again, dying a beard doesn't cost all that much, and if it looks weird, you can always go with option #2 which is to shave it off anyways! So despite my first paragraph, I say go for it, see how it looks, and go from there, assuming you are willing to shave the beard in the first place!

I'm also a little hypocritical, as I dye my hair, though I've done so continuously since I was 15 because I hate my natural colour and I'm (only) 30. I have no idea how much/or any grey hair I have! Though to, I guess, reiterate my first paragraph in different words, a man with salt and pepper hair and a grey beard looks normal to me, and, often, good.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

I have been dying mine for years.
Trick is, use little and go much lighter than your hair normally is.
I use a medium light brown...so even should I apply it for too long, it still doesn't look like Tom Selleck's ridiculous black dye job in the TV show Blue Bloods.
One application lasts about two weeks. The whole kit lasts me about 20 applications.

Put in a drop about the size of a cashew of the color, and the same size dollop of the conditioner (white goop). Mix with brush and apply on beard. The longer you leave it on, the darker it will get - five to seven minutes is usually enough - then shower and wash with soap. Don't freak out before you shower because it looks so dark - it washes out.

Remember - go LIGHTER - always buy at least one color lighter than your original hair color.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 PM

If you decide on the dye job be sure to do the skin patch test. Google "just for men reaction" for some horror stories.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious Discord View Post
Dye. I look younger without the white patches. Don't do it too dark. Better too light.
If you're going to dye it, absolutely this. Always dye a couple of shades lighter than your natural color. This helps to keep it from looking as fake as some dye jobs.

That being said, I agree with those who say shave it off.

Then get a tan

Roddy