The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 AM

What wine tastes the most like grape juice?

Title asks it all really. I'll add- not too sweet, but basically like red grape Welch's.
Advertisements  
Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Moving thread from IMHO to Cafe Society.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 AM

Md 20/20?

Last edited by TheChileanBlob; 06-14-2011 at 01:43 AM..
Old 06-14-2011, 03:30 AM

Wines from the muscat grape taste fruity. They can be anything from dry to very fruity. To take just one region as an example - the Alsace - they can range from dry to the late harvested, sweet, Selection de Grains Nobles.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:49 AM

My wife claims that the New York varietals I like 9especially Widmer's Lake Niagara) taste like grape juice, but I reject that, and think she lacks the discimination to appreciate th difference.

For my money, Mogen David and Manischevitz both taste powerfully of grape juice, but I admit it's been a long time since I tried them.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
Title asks it all really. I'll add- not too sweet, but basically like red grape Welch's.
Maybe Manischewitz Concord wine? Welch's (and many other American brands of grape juice) is made from the Concord grape which has a distinctive flavor that is known as "foxiness" in wine circles. Most wine-making grapes do not have this characteristic flavor, so if you can find some wines made from Concord grapes, that'll put you half-way there.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-14-2011 at 10:07 AM..
Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 AM

Second the Concord grapes idea. Waldensian Heritage Wines in NC (IIRC) makes their product from concords, and while they range from dry to dessert, all of them have a distinctly Welch's Grape Jelly aroma.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

I agree. Mogen David tastes like spoiled Welch's grape juice to me
Old 06-14-2011, 11:33 AM

Any wine that is made from grapes that are eaten by themselves (eg Concord and Niagara) will taste more grapey. Those grapes are eaten because they have a lot of aroma compounds before fermentation. These compounds will stick around after fermentation. Traditional wine grapes are mostly strains of vitus vinifera and have few aroma compounds before fermentation. However, what they do have is tons of precursor compounds which transform in to aroma compounds during fermentation, so they bear less resemblance to the initial grape.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:52 AM

What kind of wine did they have in the Holy Land around Jesus' time? Because according to my church, that wine was just like grape juice.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Yup, what you want is a fine bottle of Manischewitz Concord Grape.

I can also recommend the Blackberry and Cherry.

It's KoolAid for grownups.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swords to Plowshares View Post
Any wine that is made from grapes that are eaten by themselves (eg Concord and Niagara) will taste more grapey. Those grapes are eaten because they have a lot of aroma compounds before fermentation. These compounds will stick around after fermentation. Traditional wine grapes are mostly strains of vitus vinifera and have few aroma compounds before fermentation. However, what they do have is tons of precursor compounds which transform in to aroma compounds during fermentation, so they bear less resemblance to the initial grape.
I think that you're trying to say that native American grapes (labrusca) have a characteristic called "foxiness" (called so because it's characteritic of the native Fox grape) that comes through i the wine. I don't think you're statement about "grapes eaten by themselves" is true -- California Table Grapes are eaten "by themselves" and have no such taste (or stigma). Heck, people eat grapes of all kinds "by themselves".

Nor is it true that such flavors inevitably bleed through or are significant in the final wine. Bully Hill vineyards, for one, makes wines from several New York varietals that aren't noticeably "foxy". (And they make several that are).

The Widmers I mention upthread, along with Taylor's New York White, and many others, have a distinctve "foxiness", but they don't taste anywhere near as much like grape juice as Mogen David or Manischevitz.

And, just so it won't seem as if I'm picking on Jewish wines, I could say the same about the Catholic sacramental wine produce by Barry/Cribari. It's only half a step from grape juice.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I think that you're trying to say that native American grapes (labrusca) have a characteristic called "foxiness" (called so because it's characteritic of the native Fox grape) that comes through i the wine. I don't think you're statement about "grapes eaten by themselves" is true -- California Table Grapes are eaten "by themselves" and have no such taste (or stigma). Heck, people eat grapes of all kinds "by themselves".
I'm not just talking about the foxiness. Labrusca grapes that are eaten as table grapes have fewer overall aroma precursors than vinifera wine grapes, but they usually have more initial aroma compounds. They do not undergo as radical of a transformation during fermentation. In addition, some of their aroma compounds would be destroyed in fermentation. Of course you can hybridize grapes to produce a decent Concord wine, but it's still going to taste grapey even if you remove the foxiness.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 PM

If you can find it, try a Birbet wine made from the brachetto grape. I believe they're from the Piedmont region of Italy. The first bottle I ever had was labeled 'Le Rive Birbet' and tasted like really good plump, sweet table grapes.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:29 PM

I think I'll go with the Manischewitz Concord Grape. Thanks!

Not only do I have no palate, I'm not even embarrassed to admit it. But, my doctor keeps telling me to drink red wine and I like the wine that tastes like grape juice. (I hate dry wines.)
Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Not only do I have no palate, I'm not even embarrassed to admit it. But, my doctor keeps telling me to drink red wine and I like the wine that tastes like grape juice. (I hate dry wines.)
I know how it is. My brother has treated me to several "wine dinners" at fancy restaurants, multiple courses with a different wine served with each course. And most of them taste fairly unpleasant.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
I know how it is. My brother has treated me to several "wine dinners" at fancy restaurants, multiple courses with a different wine served with each course. And most of them taste fairly unpleasant.
Similar here with friends and family. And they'll even say "You'll develop a taste for it". My response is usally "I'm sure I could develop a taste for fermented mare's milk, but why bother if I don't like it the first time?"
Old 06-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Oh.

I'm a little ashamed of myself that my first thought was that you were planning to use it to play a practical joke on your teetotal brother and/or sister. Just a little, though.

Best of luck with your health issues.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99
Best of luck with your health issues.
"Health issues" here meaning "can remember Elvis singing live on TV". I think they push for red wine consumption by all 40+ guys (meaning the AMA has apparently invested in vineyards.)
Old 06-14-2011, 11:31 PM

You didn't ask, but I like this wine Adesso Cagnina Di Romagna. I think has a nice berry flavor. Maybe not as grapey as a big ole spoonful of Welch's jelly, but it's pretty good.

And it's $10 a bottle.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtail23 View Post
Yep, I've found that whenever I've been invited to a Jewish holiday meal, the wine tasted very juicy.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
What kind of wine did they have in the Holy Land around Jesus' time? Because according to my church, that wine was just like grape juice.
Hehe. The (ELCA Lutheran) church that I grew up in actually used the Manischewitz Concord Grape for Communion. It was a dangerous gateway into real wine drinking, especially for us acolytes and Communion assistants. (Manischewitz and pita, mmm...except for the time the Altar Guild accidentally bought onion and garlic pita, which made for a memorable service.)
Old 06-17-2011, 11:53 PM

Wow, you guys aren't kidding. I bought a bottle of Manischewitz because of this thread out of curiosity. I think the last thing I drank that had this much sugar in it was a can of Mountain Dew. It's the first wine I've tried that belongs in a plastic cup.

First red wine I've actually liked, though.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:05 AM

I thought labrusca had less resveratrol than the best varieties of vinifera. On the other hand, plain grape juice still has a respectable amount if you drink enough of it. If you don't really like wine, why not just drink the grape juice?

Last edited by Peremensoe; 06-18-2011 at 12:09 AM..
Old 06-18-2011, 12:06 AM

Is it just me, or does this sound like a "How to Date-Rape/Kiddie-Molest" thead?

Old 06-18-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Is it just me, or does this sound like a "How to Date-Rape/Kiddie-Molest" thead?

Just you.

Hi, I'm Chris Hansen. Why don't you take a seat right over there?
Old 06-18-2011, 01:48 AM

Rieslings and Gewurtztraminers both tend to be pretty sweet, and if you can find a late harvest version of either, they'll be even sweeter.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:22 AM

I appreciate this thread. I don't really like the taste of wine, but if it's sweet and grapey, I might try the suggestions. Oh, and I'm not a child or a child-rapist.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorieSmurf View Post
I appreciate this thread. I don't really like the taste of wine, but if it's sweet and grapey, I might try the suggestions. Oh, and I'm not a child or a child-rapist.

This post has been graped by the child-grapist!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:28 PM

OH I know!

Leelanau Cellars, Great Lakes Red! Tastes so very much like Grape juice. I should know, I searched far and wide for this
Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

For sweet wines, I've found some of the whites are sweeter, like say, Moscato. Very sweet.

But then, I think grape jellly/juice is repugnantly vile. I do like very sweet wines though--ones that are too sweet for most people.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:26 AM
BANNED

I might get around to trying some of the suggestions, but "Night Train" tastes like grape juice, as does cheap port -- sweet and grape-like. Hard to find Night Train in decent neighborhoods, but I'd drink a fifth of that over most anything else if I just wanted to drink grape juice with alcohol.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 AM

I would suggest a Ruby port. Not that Grapey tasting but it is a rich, sweet wine with very dark, grapey color.

I think a lot of people come to wine for the first time expecting something like grape juice and intead get the dry, tannic taste that most of us think of as a good thing in red wine. I can see that that would be off-putting. Try a dessert wine like a Moscato or a port or Manischewitz Concord. Ain't nothing wrong with that. There are thousands of non-dry wines out there.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:54 AM

Port can be awfully syrupy. I like ports, but not everyone does. Just a note of caution! Maybe order one at a restaurant before buying a bottle. Not that port (like wine) needs to be expensive, but some can be.

And I think (thought I may be wrong) that ports do not oxidize as readily as wine. So bonus - the port will last longer opened than a bottle of wine will. Although I don't think that an opened bottle of Manischewitz will noticeably degrade in quality over any amount of time anyway, now that I think about it.

Last edited by Snickers; 12-06-2011 at 09:56 AM..
Old 12-06-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post

Thanks for giving me a flashback to that Very Special Episode of Diff'rent Strokes, when Gordon Jump got Dudley and Arnold drunk on muscatel...
Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

I'll throw down for Concord varieties as well. Here's the one I favor:

Mount Hope Wineries Concord

Ignore the Ren Faire bit. That's relatively new. When I started buying it there was just a black and purple label. Excellent wine, though. Especially if you're into taste.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
I'll throw down for Concord varieties as well. Here's the one I favor:

Mount Hope Wineries Concord

Ignore the Ren Faire bit. That's relatively new. When I started buying it there was just a black and purple label. Excellent wine, though. Especially if you're into taste.
That's pretty much right up the road from me. Yeah, the Mount Hope grounds are the site of the PA Ren Faire and a bunch of other events, too. Nice place.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:30 AM

This may be a bit obvious, but why not just drink grape juice? I can guarantee that it will taste like grape juice.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineToTheSky View Post
This may be a bit obvious, but why not just drink grape juice? I can guarantee that it will taste like grape juice.
Are the healthy parts of red wine (as ordered by the OP's doctor) in grape juice, or do they only develop when the juice is fermented into wine?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:02 PM

This brings back memories. We're not Jewish but my Italian grandmother always thought we should have wine with dinner and we either had Mogen-David or the Manischewitz Concord Grape. The kids got it mixed with 7-Up, I thought I was so cool getting to drink wine as a child. Imagine my surprise when I got older and tried other wine. I'm not really crazy about reds and I prefer the less dry whites or pink wines but I can't see myself drinking the fruit juice wine again ... unless I mix it with 7-Up*.

*It must be 7-Up, Sprite is not an acceptable substitute.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:06 PM

Beaujolais Nouveau is the answer I give people for the most "Grape juice-y" tasting wine. Other types of Beaujolais are also grapey, fruity and incredibly delicious. And cheap. Love me some Beaujolais. If it's the Welch's taste you want, then you need an Vitis labrusca variety, like Concord.

An opened bottle of ruby Port will oxidize and degrade over time; it's just that the time is much longer than that for other wines. I remember having an opened bottle of a vintage character Port like Six Grapes or Bin 27, for two weeks and not noticing much degradation. Of course, the winner in the "how long can I keep it open" contest is Madeira.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
That's pretty much right up the road from me. Yeah, the Mount Hope grounds are the site of the PA Ren Faire and a bunch of other events, too. Nice place.
Hell, I was there just a couple weeks ago. You never call and write.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:48 PM

Another option would be to buy any cheap red and make the Regency drink called Negus - red wine, sugar, hot water, lemon and nutmeg
Old 12-06-2011, 09:59 PM

If you guys don't like wines, why not just try a reisling?

Oh. Not red.

I have a bottle of Kosher merlot for my son's birthday (we're sponsoring the oneg on Friday) and I'm not that excited to try. It was $14 and so far I haven't had a Kosher wine in my budget I was impressed with. But I'm not a wineo so maybe the grapiness is just regulated to American wines.

What about port?
Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtail23 View Post

I can also recommend the Blackberry and Cherry.

It's KoolAid for grownups.
Yes, this. Basically, just Concord grape juice mixed with isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Works for me.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenPained View Post
It was $14 and so far I haven't had a Kosher wine in my budget I was impressed with.
There is a Spanish winery Capcanes that puts out pretty decent Kosher wines at nice prices. The Mas Donis Barrica, a Garnacha blend, comes in at $10-$12.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:05 PM

What criteria does wine have to meet to be declared kosher?
Old 12-08-2011, 12:20 PM

Here's what Wine Spectator has to say about how wine is made kosher.

The biggest challenge from a taste perspective is making Meshuval wine. Heat kills a lot of the flavor compounds found in wine and Meshuval needs to be heated, so there's your Catch 22. As the article states, flash heating technology has been developed that does less damage but still meets the requirements, resulting in an overall improvement in Kosher wine quality. It's still an expensive process, which is why finding a decent yet everyday priced Kosher wine is so hard.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Is plum wine considered a "red" wine? Or is it only wine made from grapes that gives the health benefits? (I'm leaning toward "it's the grapes" but I'm too lazy to look it up). Because plum wine is both cheap and sweet. It's tasty stuff. I'll back up the others on here who have cited various kosher wines as being sweet and grape-juicy. In my very early days of drinking, that's the kind of thing I would drink, because it didn't taste like alcohol.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
Is plum wine considered a "red" wine? Or is it only wine made from grapes that gives the health benefits? (I'm leaning toward "it's the grapes" but I'm too lazy to look it up).
Plum wine is not a red wine per se since it's not made of grapes.... and I've seen some pale green plum wines.

I've never heard one way or the other about its health benefits... however, if I had to hazard a guess I'd say it has some. Maybe the same ones that regular plums have? Maybe someone else knows for sure.