What wine tastes the most like grape juice?

Title asks it all really. I’ll add- not too sweet, but basically like red grape Welch’s.

Moving thread from IMHO to Cafe Society.

Md 20/20?

Wines from the muscat grape taste fruity. They can be anything from dry to very fruity. To take just one region as an example - the Alsace - they can range from dry to the late harvested, sweet, Selection de Grains Nobles.

My wife claims that the New York varietals I like 9especially Widmer’s Lake Niagara) taste like grape juice, but I reject that, and think she lacks the discimination to appreciate th difference.

For my money, Mogen David and Manischevitz both taste powerfully of grape juice, but I admit it’s been a long time since I tried them.

Maybe Manischewitz Concord wine? Welch’s (and many other American brands of grape juice) is made from the Concord grape which has a distinctive flavor that is known as “foxiness” in wine circles. Most wine-making grapes do not have this characteristic flavor, so if you can find some wines made from Concord grapes, that’ll put you half-way there.

Second the Concord grapes idea. Waldensian Heritage Wines in NC (IIRC) makes their product from concords, and while they range from dry to dessert, all of them have a distinctly Welch’s Grape Jelly aroma.

I agree. Mogen David tastes like spoiled Welch’s grape juice to me

Any wine that is made from grapes that are eaten by themselves (eg Concord and Niagara) will taste more grapey. Those grapes are eaten because they have a lot of aroma compounds before fermentation. These compounds will stick around after fermentation. Traditional wine grapes are mostly strains of vitus vinifera and have few aroma compounds before fermentation. However, what they do have is tons of precursor compounds which transform in to aroma compounds during fermentation, so they bear less resemblance to the initial grape.

What kind of wine did they have in the Holy Land around Jesus’ time? Because according to my church, that wine was just like grape juice.

Yup, what you want is a fine bottle of Manischewitz Concord Grape.

I can also recommend the Blackberry and Cherry.

It’s KoolAid for grownups.

I think that you’re trying to say that native American grapes (labrusca) have a characteristic called “foxiness” (called so because it’s characteritic of the native Fox grape) that comes through i the wine. I don’t think you’re statement about “grapes eaten by themselves” is true – California Table Grapes are eaten “by themselves” and have no such taste (or stigma). Heck, people eat grapes of all kinds “by themselves”.
Nor is it true that such flavors inevitably bleed through or are significant in the final wine. Bully Hill vineyards, for one, makes wines from several New York varietals that aren’t noticeably “foxy”. (And they make several that are).

The Widmers I mention upthread, along with Taylor’s New York White, and many others, have a distinctve “foxiness”, but they don’t taste anywhere near as much like grape juice as Mogen David or Manischevitz.

And, just so it won’t seem as if I’m picking on Jewish wines, I could say the same about the Catholic sacramental wine produce by Barry/Cribari. It’s only half a step from grape juice.

I’m not just talking about the foxiness. Labrusca grapes that are eaten as table grapes have fewer overall aroma precursors than vinifera wine grapes, but they usually have more initial aroma compounds. They do not undergo as radical of a transformation during fermentation. In addition, some of their aroma compounds would be destroyed in fermentation. Of course you can hybridize grapes to produce a decent Concord wine, but it’s still going to taste grapey even if you remove the foxiness.

If you can find it, try a Birbet wine made from the brachetto grape. I believe they’re from the Piedmont region of Italy. The first bottle I ever had was labeled ‘Le Rive Birbet’ and tasted like really good plump, sweet table grapes.

I think I’ll go with the Manischewitz Concord Grape. Thanks!

Not only do I have no palate, I’m not even embarrassed to admit it. But, my doctor keeps telling me to drink red wine and I like the wine that tastes like grape juice. (I hate dry wines.)

I know how it is. My brother has treated me to several “wine dinners” at fancy restaurants, multiple courses with a different wine served with each course. And most of them taste fairly unpleasant.

Similar here with friends and family. And they’ll even say “You’ll develop a taste for it”. My response is usally “I’m sure I could develop a taste for fermented mare’s milk, but why bother if I don’t like it the first time?”

Oh.

I’m a little ashamed of myself that my first thought was that you were planning to use it to play a practical joke on your teetotal brother and/or sister. Just a little, though. :wink:

Best of luck with your health issues.

“Health issues” here meaning “can remember Elvis singing live on TV”. I think they push for red wine consumption by all 40+ guys (meaning the AMA has apparently invested in vineyards;).)

You didn’t ask, but I like this wine Adesso Cagnina Di Romagna. I think has a nice berry flavor. Maybe not as grapey as a big ole spoonful of Welch’s jelly, but it’s pretty good.

And it’s $10 a bottle.