The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 07-01-2011, 08:28 PM

How do you keep your glasses from fogging up

My lenses get dirty and foggy really quickly. I can use the lens cleaning cloth or a lens cleaning spray to clean them, but my glasses just get dirty again within an hour or so.

So are there good products that leave a residue that stops fogging and reaccumulation of dirt on the lens for hours or days at a time? If so, how well do they work and how often do they need to be applied? I found several products on amazon but the reviews are hit and miss, and I have no idea if I'd have to apply them daily, weekly or what. C-clear and Clarity both seem to be decent brands, so has anyone used one or have any reviews on it?

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 07-01-2011 at 08:30 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 PM

I have an anti-fog spray for my squash goggles. Couldn't tell you if you can use it on glasses, though!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:15 PM

How exacty are your glasses fogging up? Been wearing glasses for over 20 years now and the only time I've eer had them.fog up was when I walk out from an air conditioned building on a very hot and humid day. I just wipe them on my shirt when that happens, then they're fine.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:17 PM

Rub a bit of dry soap on the lens and then polish it off with a tissue or cloth. Try it on a patch of a mirror and then breathe on it. It will fog up around the patch you buffed.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:36 AM

Always a problem

I run with glasses and fogging is a problem any time except summer. I often end up carrying the glasses, which is OK after I first get a sense of how the road surface is for the day.

I've had reasonable success with products made for the windshield of a vehicle. Stuff like Rain-X or Never-Fog come to mind. The low cost method is a bit of soapy water which leaves a surfactant that makes the condensation run instead of fog. It's a crap shoot. Maybe laser surgery on the eyes would be the ultimate answer for you, not for me.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:48 AM

When I play paintball. I apply a thin layer of liquid soap inside my mask to prevent fogging up. Distorts vision mildly but stops the fogging up.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:33 AM

well, riddle me this....I had a stroke last year. the only thing affected (I think! lol) was my vision. in layman's terms, I now have "right-field defect." only since my stroke does my right lens only fog up in the middle, constantly. is my eye emitting some kind of heat or something?....&, pursuent to your quesion, I'd use Rain-X.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:35 AM

Go to your local gunstore. There are some good products that will stop your glasses from fogging up.

As to Becky...I have no idea. Just last year, my left eye has started running and getting all goopy, so my glasses get icky. I keep telling myself its allergies, but its probably something else.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Toothpaste. Plain toothpaste, no gel, no whiteners, no nothing. Put a small dot on each side, rub it in, wash it off, good to go. I learned that trick from scuba diving.

Last edited by Clothahump; 07-04-2011 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: I can't tpye
Old 07-04-2011, 02:55 PM

toothpaste has abrasive particles in it that could scratch a lens. you could use it in the end of lens grinding.

Last edited by johnpost; 07-04-2011 at 02:58 PM..
Old 07-04-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmund View Post
Been wearing glasses for over 20 years now and the only time I've eer had them.fog up was when I walk out from an air conditioned building on a very hot and humid day.
Odd. Mine only fog up when going from a cold outside to a warm building. I've never worried about fogging except in the winter.

ETA: Past that I have no helpful information for the OP.

Last edited by RadicalPi; 07-04-2011 at 05:49 PM..
Old 07-04-2011, 06:07 PM

Soapy water will work. That's what all the dive boats I've been on use, and the paintball fields, too. It's somewhat temporary, however. I use Cat Crap for a more long-term fix.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:45 PM

Cat Crap. I've been using it on my ski goggles/sunglasses for years. It works great.

ETA: Didn't notice the guy above me recommended the same thing...

Last edited by dinahmoe; 07-04-2011 at 07:47 PM..
Old 07-04-2011, 08:36 PM

Have you considered buying a new pair of glasses that don't rest so close to your cheek/eyebrow area?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 PM

Theres an anti fog tape you can buy off amazon called fogstops that works pretty good at preventing fog. I've been using it for several months and it's been holding up pretty good.