Medidopers - I missed 3 doses of antibiotics. Issues?

So I worked until 5am on some emergency changes and collapsed into bed without taking my 6am dose. At 2:30 the alarm on my phone went off to remind me of the mid day dose and I was so tired my brain got stuck in the did I or didn’t I take the morning dose and I managed to completely forget that one too. I fell asleep in the corner of the couch at around 9pm and when my husband woke me and lead me to bed I didn’t take the bedtime dose either.

Clearly a change in my sleep schedule kills my brain.

All the goggling I’ve done say if you miss more than a day’s worth to call your doctor - but really how risky is missing one day?

Added complications - they weren’t prescribed by a doctor but by my dentist after gum surgery last week.

I don’t think based on this there is any reason to call, but I figured a sanity check here would be an excellent backup :slight_smile:

Call the office of the doctor and ask them. If they aren’t there because it’s a holiday weekend, I’d start taking them again, and call them as soon as they were open again and see what they say.

how long had you been on the antibiotic? How long were you supposed to be on it? Which antibiotic was it? What was it for? What other meds are you on? What chronic health conditions do you have? What’s your insurance number? :wink:

You don’t need to call anyone. If it is an antibiotic, just resume taking them and finish the course of treatment.

And do not double up in an effort to ‘catch up’.
mmm

Not necessarily. Depends on the antibiotic, the duration, the diagnosis, and other associated conditions.

I speak as someone who prescribes antibiotics, and has done so for a while now.

Teva-Amoxicillin 500mg. I had gum surgery on Monday June 27th and my understanding is that they’re prescribed “just in case”. 7 day supply so now it will take me 8 days total to finish the course. No other meds and I have no other medical conditions other than a current lack of sleep due to to technological idiocy.

I ask only because it doesn’t seem like it would be an issue but more than a days doses was given as the guidance for when to call the doctor and standing so close to the line makes me a little more cautious than normal. I’m right on top of the schedule today :slight_smile:

Speaking in the general case only, since I haven’t examined you or know your actual medical history, I would posit the following: As long as it’s not for antibiotic prophylaxis for a few specific heart conditions or for prosthetic joints, and one is healthy otherwise, the missed doses in such cases as you describe are not likely to be problematic. One generally picks up where one left off and finishes all the pills.

YMMV, contact your dentist/doctor about problems/concerns/etc.

This applies only to the sort of case discussed by the OP, and does not apply to antibiotic use as a whole. Many circumstances occur where missing that many doses would result in needing to start the treatment over again, or dose it differently.

You are right, of course. What was in my head - and what I failed to convey - is that you needn’t wait until you can call your doctor before resuming the course of antibiotics; in other words, call when you can, but don’t skip any more doses.

If this (revised) advice is incorrect, please tell me.
mmm