The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 07-17-2011, 02:37 AM

How do I stop people from mocking me for majoring in Latin

damn kids these days have no respect for the classics
Advertisements  
Old 07-17-2011, 03:13 AM

Tell them, "Tu stultus es." *

Or, perhaps, "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam." **

* - "You are stupid", the original motto of The Onion.
** - "I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head." One of my favorite quotes from the book "Latin For All Occasions".
Old 07-17-2011, 04:28 AM

Ask 'em if they can understand their doctor's instructions on their meds. Wouldn't they like to?

Tell them, it's too bad they don't speak Latin, 'cuz there's this wicked dirty pun/joke in the Roman Catholic Vulgate Bible that you'll try to translate for them but they may not get, but you'll try anyway, (look pensive for a few seconds). Nah, it won't work, it loses so much in the translation.

Tell them that "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet" they see printed on stuff is NOT a "place holder for text". It's the Ilumnati Manifesto.

Ave atque vale!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSXer View Post
Easy: don't major in Latin.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:16 AM

Why not just ignore them?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:31 AM

When they ask, tell them you majored in Go Fuck Yourself Studies, with a concentration in Suck My Dick.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:33 AM

Flaunt before them all the riches you have gained as a result of your studies!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:41 AM

Be prepared with the awesome and highly paid list of jobs a B.A. in Latin opens the door to.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:44 AM

"Unfortunately underwater basket weaving just wasn't available at my school"
Old 07-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

I'd go the other way: don't try to justify it as practical. Just get a glow in your face and say "I love Latin. It's amazing," and then start talking and talking and talking about whatever it is that makes you love it (I assume you love it? If you don't love it like caramel-covered crack, don't major in it).

I find that people don't know how to respond to genuine enthusiasm.

ETA: I have a better way to say that. I find most people are reluctant to be out and out dicks in the face of genuine enthusiasm.

Last edited by Manda JO; 07-17-2011 at 07:59 AM..
Old 07-17-2011, 08:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
Easy: don't major in Latin.
This. I'm pretty sure you could learn it without majoring it.

Seriously, what kind of a job do you get with that major? (I'm not sassing you.)
Old 07-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Tell them it's a hobby, not a vocation.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Think of all the respect you'll get from dead Romans.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:29 AM

What are *they* majoring in that's so awesome? I took a year of Latin to cap off my music degree, and there's so many people who want to take pot shots at me. Mostly kids who took business. Because of course, taking a degree in a business and working as an assistant paper pusher for the government bureaucracy is the pinnacle of human existence. You got me beat!

Nothing you can say will appease those low brow chattle, so don't even try!
Old 07-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaraMateo View Post
This. I'm pretty sure you could learn it without majoring it.

Seriously, what kind of a job do you get with that major? (I'm not sassing you.)
Teach Latin
Go to professional school (law, medical, business)
Go to graduate school (classics, history, social sciences)

And those are if you know nothing else. There are also jobs in fields like tech writing, human resources, civil service, client services, and sales where having a college degree is essential and having a college degree with experience writing/speaking/thinking is preferable. What is common in those sorts of jobs is that the college degree gives you a slight edge for the entry level position, but it becomes essential when trying to move up through the company as management-level job descriptions will require a degree, any degree.

ETA: There's also the fact that four years of highly disciplined study in a complex and analytical field will make you smarter. Being smarter will make you better at whatever job you do end up in, and more likely to be noticed and promoted.

Last edited by Manda JO; 07-17-2011 at 08:34 AM..
Old 07-17-2011, 08:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
Teach Latin
Go to professional school (law, medical, business)
Go to graduate school (classics, history, social sciences)

And those are if you know nothing else. There are also jobs in fields like tech writing, human resources, civil service, client services, and sales where having a college degree is essential and having a college degree with experience writing/speaking/thinking is preferable. What is common in those sorts of jobs is that the college degree gives you a slight edge for the entry level position, but it becomes essential when trying to move up through the company as management-level job descriptions will require a degree, any degree.
I would assume, though, the teaching Latin part isn't really the best opportunity. I don't know many schools that offer that. Second, wouldn't all the Latin majors be fighting over it? As opposed to say being a math teacher which is usually in demand.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 AM

"I cried because I'd majored in Latin, until I met a man who'd majored in Art."
Old 07-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would assume, though, the teaching Latin part isn't really the best opportunity. I don't know many schools that offer that. Second, wouldn't all the Latin majors be fighting over it? As opposed to say being a math teacher which is usually in demand.
The demand is lower, but so is the supply: there are a lot more math majors out there than Latin majors. In fact, the number of people that can teach highly advanced Latin is vanishingly small, and they are in pretty high demand.

I mean, if a life of teaching Latin would make you 100 times happier than a life of teaching math, but teaching Math would get you a job one year sooner, it seems obvious to go for the Latin. In the big scheme of things, having to work a McJob for a little longer until you find the thing you really want seems trivial compared to a lifetime of satisfaction instead of a lifetime of bitter resignation.

If being a highly attractive candidate is that important, there are plenty of ways to beef up your resume besides committing to a lifetime of doing something you don't really like.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Another sneak-bragging thread.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
I'd go the other way: don't try to justify it as practical. Just get a glow in your face and say "I love Latin. It's amazing," and then start talking and talking and talking about whatever it is that makes you love it (I assume you love it? If you don't love it like caramel-covered crack, don't major in it).

I find that people don't know how to respond to genuine enthusiasm.

ETA: I have a better way to say that. I find most people are reluctant to be out and out dicks in the face of genuine enthusiasm.
Or just say "oh, I love Latin, I find it fascinating.....how 'bout those Yankees" and turn the subject. Honestly, listening to someone else rave about someone you don't find interesting is dull. And people aren't mocking you because they find Latin fascinating.

If you are lucky enough to not need to major in something practical in order to support yourself, this is a good time to respond with a jab back....."well, I have this trust fund. I'm lucky enough to be able to major in a subject I love and not really have to worry about being employable when its done. The trust fund will get me through grad school easily - and then I hope to teach, but if I don't, they money will still keep a roof over my head and feed me." I've known several people in that situation

Manda Jo is right, there are lots of jobs for which a general liberal arts degree is sufficient. But its a slower start than a related degree - and in a tough job market hiring a just graduated from college sales person with a business degree is going to be more attractive than a few years ago when you hired a sales person with a liberal arts degree and trained them because there were more jobs than candidates.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:06 AM

What are they saying to you? That you won't get a job studying a dead language? That Latin majors are stuck-up? That majoring in Latin is easy?

To the first point, you could be all high-and-mighty and say college isn't a vocational school and that if getting a job is all they care about, well, how sad for them. To the second, you could agree with them and say that Latin majors are better people (with a dramatic sigh), and the sooner they learn to deal with this reality, the better. To the third, you could just speak a little of it and ask them to translate, if it's so easy.

But those are all stupid suggestions.

The best suggestion is just to learn not care about what people say about your life choices. You chose to go an unconventional route, and whenever you do this, people will give you crap about it. It doesn't stop in college.

You know what would get under some people skin's? Saying, "I'm studying what I like instead of following the herd. When the herd goes off the cliff, I'll be sitting under a tree with my books, watching and laughing. Where will you be?"

You'll be real popular then, but at least that one particular person will shut the fuck up.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
What are they saying to you? That you won't get a job studying a dead language? That Latin majors are stuck-up? That majoring in Latin is easy?

To the first point, you could be all high-and-mighty and say college isn't a vocational school and that if getting a job is all they care about, well, how sad for them. To the second, you could agree with them and say that Latin majors are better people (with a dramatic sigh), and the sooner they learn to deal with this reality, the better. To the third, you could just speak a little of it and ask them to translate, if it's so easy.

But those are all stupid suggestions.

The best suggestion is just to learn not care about what people say about your life choices. You chose to go an unconventional route, and whenever you do this, people will give you crap about it. It doesn't stop in college.

You know what would get under some people skin's? Saying, "I'm studying what I like instead of following the herd. When the herd goes off the cliff, I'll be sitting under a tree with my books, watching and laughing. Where will you be?"You'll be real popular then, but at least that one particular person will shut the fuck up.
I don't think anyone is mad at the OP for studying on an offbeat path. I think we're all think wtf is he going to do with this degree? (Which I did until someone broke it down for me.) We're worried he won't be as financial stable as his peers. I think this thread is showing more concern than being annoyed he choose something so esoteric to major in.

You can ahead of the heard, but can also be behind it. It goes both ways...

FWIW, I have many friends who majored in what they wanted and the job market wasn't friendly to them and they regreted it. I'm not saying anyone who majors in a unique field will feel the same, but it's a good thing to think about.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:21 AM

Just point out all those hot Latino chicks you're going to get to bang.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:22 AM

Just remind them: "Rident stolidi verba Latina."
Old 07-17-2011, 11:08 AM

Yeah I'm not expecting to get rich off of it. I guess everyone now only cares about money and not learning. Or maybe they think I don't actually enjoy it but am just purposely wasting money on a useless degree. But how do you respond to something like "Latin is useless because dead languages and ancient literature (or the humanities in general) don't help society. Science and medicine and whatnot are improving technology and saving lives". Or that "you can learn Latin at home in your free time while learning a useful skill at college"?

Last edited by PSXer; 07-17-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Old 07-17-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah I'm not expecting to get rich off of it. I guess everyone now only cares about money and not learning. Or maybe they think I don't actually enjoy it but am just purposely wasting money on a useless degree. But how do you respond to something like "Latin is useless because dead languages and ancient literature (or the humanities in general) don't help society. Science and medicine and whatnot are improving technology and saving lives". Or that "you can learn Latin at home in your free time while learning a useful skill at college"?
Not everyone needs to change the world. A lot of people simply want to get through life in an enjoyable fashion. And if you are lucky enough to be able to spend on a college degree without worrying about its ROI, that's really great - but you are fortunate in this day and age of very high college costs and high unemployment to be able to afford to simply be able to go to college to learn and not because you need to care about money. I'm saving like a madwoman for two kids because I want them to have the luxury of not having student loans and degrees in English Lit if such is their passion. Because, for me, I think its not bad to have one or the other (a liberal arts degree OR loans), wise to have neither (graduate with a 'practical' degree and no debt), and unwise to have both (loans and a degree in Art History).
Old 07-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Or maybe they think I don't actually enjoy it but am just purposely wasting money on a useless degree.
I doubt anyone thinks you don't enjoy it. It's more that for some people enjoying yourself is not the top priority of college. Some people think college should be a mix of education and career development, so you're prepared to get an interesting, challenging career afterward.

Not me, though. I majored in Latin. But some people.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
My only concern (and I voiced this in another thread that I made) is are you pursuing a degree in this going to make you worse off than when you started. I.e. are you going to 100,000 in debt to make 20,000 a year? For ME, that would make me not want to pursue such a degree. So, no one cares if you don't get rich. We just hope you don't get in debt for it.

I honestly think Latin (and other subjects) are better off as minors with a major in something you'll see financial reward in. However, that's part of being an adult. You learn to compromise (or right do things you don't like) to better yourself/future.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Riderint dum metuant.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:50 AM

take Greek and show them you really respect the classics.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:53 AM

I do take Greek too. Maybe Hebrew next.

but all financial questions aside, is there value in studying the humanities in 2011? I think there is of course, or else I wouldn't be doing it. But I am not good at explaining why and was hoping someone more articulate could help.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
You know what would get under some people skin's? Saying, "I'm studying what I like instead of following the herd. When the herd goes off the cliff, I'll be sitting under a tree with my books, watching and laughing. Where will you be?"
Taking expensive vacations and ski trips with my classmates from business school.

Absque argento omnia vana bitches.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:58 AM

I don't like skiing though. I would be happier staying home and watching laserdiscs.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Tell them, "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur."
Old 07-17-2011, 12:05 PM

I usually just recite lines from Catullus
Old 07-17-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
My only concern (and I voiced this in another thread that I made) is are you pursuing a degree in this going to make you worse off than when you started. I.e. are you going to 100,000 in debt to make 20,000 a year? For ME, that would make me not want to pursue such a degree. So, no one cares if you don't get rich. We just hope you don't get in debt for it.

I honestly think Latin (and other subjects) are better off as minors with a major in something you'll see financial reward in. However, that's part of being an adult. You learn to compromise (or right do things you don't like) to better yourself/future.
On a micro level, I hope PSXer doesn't put himself into an uncomfortable level of debt over it. I've watched friends with liberal arts degrees spend 15 years struggling to cover the cost of living while paying down student loan debt - and while that degree in Theatre was a really enjoyable field of study, and doing community theatre has a lot of value in society in terms of providing entertainment and arts to the community, many of them don't think it was worth it in terms of the quality of life hit they took post college.

On a macro level, I think the college loan bubble will be the next to hit - or if not next, it will hit in the next decade. You can't bankrupt yourself out of it - but we can't get blood from a rock either. I suspect we will regret the quantity of government backed student loans we've made.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

I love Car Talk's motto: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis, which they translate as "unencumbered by the thought process."

I know med schools have been trending towards favoring non-science majors who fill premed requirements with electives. You might focus on the advanced degrees aspect when trash talking to other students. If you're talking to say a Biology premed you can say his 4.0 might get him on a waiting list while yours gets you right in.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:

but all financial questions aside, is there value in studying the humanities in 2011? I think there is of course, or else I wouldn't be doing it. But I am not good at explaining why and was hoping someone more articulate could help.
Well, what are you getting out of your education? Are you learning anything? Anything useful? If you don't know the answers to these questions, you probably SHOULD assess the value of your major.

I will say this. When I graduated from college with my BS, I didn't feel like I had mastered my area of study. In fact, I felt like I had discovered just how little I did know. The deeper you dig, the more you realize how deeper you have to go to really understand it all. At least that was the take-home message I got when I left that institution.

So was my degree worthless? Of course not. Even if I hadn't used it to pursue an advanced degree, I learned some things that could have made for an impressive resume for an entry-level position somewhere.

If you aren't already pursuing internships and/or minoring in something that is career-related, then I advise doing so. There's no sense in pretending that "learning for the sake of learning" is not a luxury for most people. If you aren't most people and you have your ducks lined up in a row for a career post-graduation, then I say don't worry and enjoy your educational experience. But if you are like most people and expect a degree in anything, from anywhere, to land you a great job, then I would saddle the Latin up with something practical. Like basket weaving (hey, someone's got to make those baskets!)
Old 07-17-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
If you can't articulate why you value it then that's a huge red flag which may be what people are seeing and why they question or mock you for your major.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:23 PM

sure I can articulate it but it doesn't satisfy everyone. I need a master orator so I can appease the haters
Old 07-17-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
sure I can articulate it but it doesn't satisfy everyone. I need a master orator so I can appease the haters
What do you say to them?
Old 07-17-2011, 12:59 PM

What is the Latin translation of "Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."?
Old 07-17-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Did they enjoy the film 300? What about Harry Potter?

Greek and Latin aside, try asking them to avoid the humanities for a week: no television, no movies, don't look at any art, conversation limited to the exchange of practical information. No news that references history. They probably don't value the humanities because they associate them with leisure (=fun) and because they don't notice how pervasive they are.

As for Latin, the role that English has now in the world was held by Latin for over a thousand years. If they think English is valuable, by their own logic they must think that Latin was once valuable, and for ten times as long as English (as far as international languages go). Now the only argument they have is that studying the past has no value, an argument that's pretty hard to sustain.

Seriously: you're in college for an education. Your bachelor's degree means you have a strong ability for critical and analytical thinking. Mastering Latin and Greek demonstrates that pretty well, and shows you're a bit more adventurous and imaginative than an economics major. You thus have all the skills you need for thousands of different employment fields.

Last edited by Dr. Drake; 07-17-2011 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: added line
Old 07-17-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:

[...]
Hebrew? Do you want to end up with a useless degree? Take Sanskrit, dude. (I did).
Old 07-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
Just point out all those hot Latino chicks you're going to get to bang.
If they're Latino, there's going to be a surprise involved. Stick to the Latina chicks. Or don't. Whatever you're into.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You don't. But if you want one anyway, I have a few suggestions. I suggest you actually read them in Latin, since they are all wonderful texts.

The Metalogicon of John of Salisbury is a spirited defense of a liberal arts education from the 12th century. John complained that all kids wanted in his day was to get their degree stamped so they could get a cushy government job. This battle was fought and lost almost 1000 years ago.

For something a little more classical, you can always read Cicero's de Oratore. If you don't know what it's about, then read the chapter in Conte on Cicero.

Augustine talks a great deal about his education in the Confessions.

But really, as far as your job prospects are concerned, your major really doesn't matter at all. What matters is that whatever you choose, do it as rigorously as you can. In your case, take all of the prose comp, stylistics, and upper-level survey classes you can. If you are smart and motivated, you'll do fine. Better, even, then the hacks who try to pick something practical to major in and just end end up as drones. Classics really can equip you with a useful mental apparatus if you take it seriously enough. As long as you keep reading, classics will enrich your life until the day you die. Hell, some authors will tell you how to die properly, too. How many majors teach you how to have a good death, let along a good life?

I was a classics major, too, and graduated in 2000. I have done very well for myself in a variety of fields and I live a pretty interesting life. I was successful in business, was promoted several times at a Fortune 50 company, and now consult and work on my PhD. I get to do business, research, travel, and teach, all on my own schedule. I know a lot of other classics people, especially now since I am back in academia, and they have had their pick of careers. Many end up lawyers, since our verbal skills, analytical skills, and trained memory are quite useful in law. It's delightful to come across a classics major in my corporate travels, too. We instantly have something in common, far more so I think than people who major in subjects with a broader appeal.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panurge View Post
Hebrew? Do you want to end up with a useless degree? Take Sanskrit, dude. (I did).
I was going to say that, too. Sanskrit is great.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panurge View Post
Sanskrit. You're majoring in a 5,000-year-old dead language?
Old 07-17-2011, 02:12 PM

I think it is totally awesome you or anyone can get a major in Latin.

When someone gives you crap over it, tell them your switching to Ebonics.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I think you should be complimented for majoring in a challenging subject,
one which provides insight into the origin and meaning of surely a quarter
and maybe close to half of the most common words in the English language.