The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 07-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Neighbors spying on you?

(No worries, panache45, who started this thread. I know it's not you, and besides, what you describe isn't the sort of thing I'm talking about.)

I know this sounds paranoid, but we're getting the distinct impression that some of our neighbors are spying on us. Unfortunately, many people who live in and visit our neighborhood seem to be the sort who hang out in front of the building talking in loud voices late at night, and since we face the street we hear a lot of what they say. These people may be others who live in the same complex, or just from around the area; we're not sure. My wife thinks it's some people who do live here.

We've heard them say things like "They're always there, they pick up their newspaper every day". I didn't worry too much about that, myself, but then another incident happened just recently. Just before going to bed, I spent about 30 minutes in the spare bedroom, which we use as an office. As soon as I turned on the light, I heard someone downstairs in front saying "woohoo, somebody turned on a light!".

This is just sick. Who does that? Are we being cased for some special form of harrassment or worse?

Has this ever happened to you that you know of? What came of it?

Last edited by Spectre of Pithecanthropus; 07-17-2011 at 07:42 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 07-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

As Dr. Johnny Fever once said, "If everyone's out to get you, being paranoid is just good thinking."
Old 07-17-2011, 07:15 PM

Have you lived there a long time? I definitely see this attitude in our neighbors a little. A couple of years before we moved in they were doing some bridge work which turned our street into a dead end for over a year. Apparently they all became close and still socialize a lot. We're fairly introverted and keep to ourselves.

I don't think it's being targetted so much as a lack of understanding that people are different.

Last edited by Moonlitherial; 07-17-2011 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Forgot to sum up!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlitherial View Post
Have you lived there a long time? I definitely see this attitude in our neighbors a little.

I don't think it's being targetted so much as a lack of understanding that people are different.
We've been here awhile but they were here first, if they are who we think they are.

It wouldn't be an age thing would it? In all my adult life I've never been the target, that I know of, of any mocking or harassment from another adult, but I'm a little older now.

We do keep to ourselves, but are on polite terms with the other residents--and they with us, at least in the daytime.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

One of my neighbors thought I was a drug dealer because people sometimes entered my house in Los Angeles for a short time, then left with a large envelope.

The envelope usually contained printed music, but some minds just don't work that way.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:18 AM
BANNED

I spy on all my neighbors. Not a la "Rear Window," but I notice whose cars are in their spots and so forth. This is a condo complex, where everyone has a little carhole and you get to know everyone on some level (at least in my little section). I don't like to play music too loud if people are around, but it sounds better at a fuller volume, to me, so I have some reasons. I'm also paranoid and like to occasionally be nude and so forth. There's also a hottish chick who moved next door, so trying to get a better look as she goes to her car. Nothing pervy, just curious if she's cute or not.

Last edited by Jaledin; 07-18-2011 at 12:19 AM..
Old 07-18-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post
(No worries, panache45, who started this thread. I know it's not you, and besides, what you describe isn't the sort of thing I'm talking about.)

I know this sounds paranoid, but we're getting the distinct impression that some of our neighbors are spying on us. Unfortunately, many people who live in and visit our neighborhood seem to be the sort who hang out in front of the building talking in loud voices late at night, and since we face the street we hear a lot of what they say. These people may be others who live in the same complex, or just from around the area; we're not sure. My wife thinks it's some people who do live here.

We've heard them say things like "They're always there, they pick up their newspaper every day". I didn't worry too much about that, myself, but then another incident happened just recently. Just before going to bed, I spent about 30 minutes in the spare bedroom, which we use as an office. As soon as I turned on the light, I heard someone downstairs in front saying "woohoo, somebody turned on a light!".

This is just sick. Who does that? Are we being cased for some special form of harrassment or worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaledin View Post
I spy on all my neighbors. Not a la "Rear Window," but I notice whose cars are in their spots and so forth. This is a condo complex, where everyone has a little carhole and you get to know everyone on some level (at least in my little section). I don't like to play music too loud if people are around, but it sounds better at a fuller volume, to me, so I have some reasons. I'm also paranoid and like to occasionally be nude and so forth. There's also a hottish chick who moved next door, so trying to get a better look as she goes to her car. Nothing pervy, just curious if she's cute or not.
Let me see if I'm getting this straight: you spy on your neighbors because you're paranoid and you like to occasionally be nude? Are you nude when you are spying on your hottish new neighbor?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:02 AM
BANNED

No, if I'm in my apartment in a state of undress (say, boxers) and have a window open for light, I'd rather not have people looking at me -- I'd never care in an apartment building, but these are closer quarters.

And, now, I don't "spy" in the sense you imply -- I just glance out the window every now and then and see who's around and who's not. If I can take my empty boxes of wine to the trash without being singled out, or use the laundry room across the street, or see if my next door/downstairsnikeh neighbors (five of them) are home before I crank up the organ.

Indeed, "I Cover the Waterfront," but spying was the wrong term for me to use.

Last edited by Jaledin; 07-18-2011 at 01:03 AM..
Old 07-18-2011, 01:11 AM

Do you work from home or not go out much? They may be gossiping "I never see anyone go in or out! Are they alive in there?" by the newspaper every day thing and then you turned a light off so they were like "MORE PROOF"

Either way, I'm betting it was silly joking among friends and not some evil plan against you.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:25 AM

Yeah. Do these people, by chance, not work? Because I've noticed that neighbors that don't work usually have lots of time to gossip and say stupid shit to each other. I'm sure it's not done with a malicious or threatening tone.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemcgarry View Post
Let me see if I'm getting this straight: you spy on your neighbors because you're paranoid and you like to occasionally be nude? Are you nude when you are spying on your hottish new neighbor?
Hey, what was I doing in that quote?

But whatever. Please carry on.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:38 AM

ok, the group that hangs out out front has singled you out. why? because they're bored, everybody likes to gossip & they're making the point that they're "cooler" than you all are (& some ppl are uncomfortable with other ppl being more secure in their own skin)....if you really want to diffuse the situation, start going outside too....lol
Old 07-18-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post

I live right across a retirement home, only a few dozen meters between my windows and theirs. Almost every time that I glance through my windows there's one of the relics there staring at me. Though a lot of them are on Alzheimer rants and scream gibberish all day, at least they dont (or rarely) make coherent comments about what they see in my place (they do their open peeping to all my building neighbours as well).
It's tiresome though to feel like somebody is keeping tabs on you at all times. If I wanted that I'd move to some shithole village, I'd like to get some of the benefits of living in a big city.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:36 AM

Here's my question: How the hell do they think they know that you never leave the house unless they also never leave their house? If you're going to be judgmental, at least be intelligently judgmental.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:42 AM

I had a problem with the gay couple next door spying on me. It was really bad. They would literally peak in my windows. Any visitors I had would get the "gay stare" hardcore and sometimes even questioned as to who they were. One Saturday night around 3 a.m. me and a friend had just gotten home and were in my living room watching TV with the blinds open. I saw one of them peaking in and and I went out the back door and came around front. I scared the hell out of him and told him to never do this again. It more or less stopped after that incident, thankfully.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Well Is Best Revenge View Post
I had a problem with the gay couple next door spying on me. It was really bad. They would literally peak in my windows. Any visitors I had would get the "gay stare" hardcore and sometimes even questioned as to who they were. One Saturday night around 3 a.m. me and a friend had just gotten home and were in my living room watching TV with the blinds open. I saw one of them peaking in and and I went out the back door and came around front. I scared the hell out of him and told him to never do this again. It more or less stopped after that incident, thankfully.
The "gay stare"?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Zombie View Post
The "gay stare"?
Yep. Middle aged gay guys have perfected it. It's a very intense stare directed at other guys. You know when you get it.

Last edited by Living Well Is Best Revenge; 07-18-2011 at 09:50 AM..
Old 07-18-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Yep. Middle aged gay guys have perfected it. It's a very intense stare. You know when you get it.
Lol, what the fuck, is it a superpower like Cyclops' ray? You mean a stare so intense like "my stare is so uber-intense, I'm gonna turn you gay, kid, and you're gonna be my sex slave for me and my partner, come around, we have a dungeon in the basement" ?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Zombie View Post
Lol, what the fuck, is it a superpower like Cyclops' ray? You mean a stare so intense like "my stare is so uber-intense, I'm gonna turn you gay, kid, and you're gonna be my sex slave for me and my partner, come around, we have a dungeon in the basement" ?
LOL, well sort of. I think it's sometimes done out of lust. And sometimes done to try to figure out the other guy is gay by how he reacts.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:57 AM

Every apartment complex or neighborhood has its Mrs. Kravitz, the spy/gossip, that likes to people watch and talk about everyone else's goings on. In our neighborhood, it's the neighbor that lives directly behind us. It just so happens that we are also good friends with her and her husband. She's really pretty innocent about the whole thing, but she definitely knows what's up with most everybody on the block.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:20 AM

Some of our neighbors want us to be spying on them and seem indignant that we're not.

"You know that car [which was parked illegally] belongs to my niece, who is visiting me from New York, don't pretend you don't."

Uh...no, I don't pay enough attention to anyone to note who has guests.

"You know how often that happens."

Uh, nope, I'm blissfully ignorant. Sorry.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 AM

Not spying on me per se, but my Mother can be a little "difficult" (even before she developed Dementia), and I'd end up yelling myself hoarse that I was upstairs and couldn't attend to whatever 'emergency' she wanted me to attend to ...

Pretty sure the entire estate knew when I was in the shower/using the toilet/washing my hair/getting dressed.

I did toy with the idea of yelling that I was too busy shagging ...
Old 07-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Here's my question: How the hell do they think they know that you never leave the house unless they also never leave their house? If you're going to be judgmental, at least be intelligently judgmental.
Because picking up the newspaper was mentioned, I thought the meaning was that we almost never travel, rather than suggesting that we never leave the house.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 AM
Charter Member

Would be fun to flick the lights on and off for a while, see what kind of reaction that gets. S-O-S-S-e-n-d-h-e-l-p
Old 07-19-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I They would literally peak in my windows.I saw one of them peaking in .
"PEEK"! Not peak - that is a totally different thing.

And I am sure I have been the target of gossip occasionally in my neighborhood. Everyone is friends and relatives. We keep to ourselves and are quiet. When I see my neighbors I am always nice and make a point of being friendly and chatty. My SO doesn't get this at all, but I know it pays off to at seem normal, even if I don't match up to their idea of a neighbor.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
LOL, well sort of. I think it's sometimes done out of lust. And sometimes done to try to figure out the other guy is gay by how he reacts.
Oh, no, no. I've been the recipient of the "gay stare" on many occasions. If you look carefully in the pupils, you'll see it means: "He wore that belt with those shoes?!? Some people never look in a mirror."
Old 07-19-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallowed My Cellphone View Post
Oh, no, no. I've been the recipient of the "gay stare" on many occasions. If you look carefully in the pupils, you'll see it means: "He wore that belt with those shoes?!? Some people never look in a mirror."
LOL!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:58 PM

People care what their neighbors think of them? Weird.

I can see being worried if you think you're being plotted against. But what happened in the OP sounds like a few people just being drunk and obnoxious, not ill-intended.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Every apartment complex or neighborhood has its Mrs. Kravitz, the spy/gossip, that likes to people watch and talk about everyone else's goings on...
This was a large factor in the Stasi's ability to spy on East Germans. Didn't they keep getting overwhlemed with the volume of reports they had to sort though?