The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Revtim Revtim is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Remember Lamb and Lynx Gaede of White Power group Prussian Blue?

Quote:
Lamb and Lynx Gaede, the dimpled tween rockers whose Nazi-themed pop band, Prussian Blue, sparked an exuberant media firestorm several years back have grown up — and had a change of heart.

“I’m not a white nationalist anymore,” Lamb told The Daily in an exclusive interview, the twins’ first in five years. “My sister and I are pretty liberal now.”
Quote:
Meanwhile, they’ll keep growing up. Impressive as their transformation has been, for instance, their views on World War II still bear traces of the Holocaust denial ideology they were taught as children. For instance, asked whether the Holocaust happened, Lynx replied, “I think certain things happened. I think a lot of the stories got misconstrued. I mean, yeah, Hitler wasn’t the best, but Stalin wasn’t, Churchill wasn’t. I disagree with everybody at that time.”

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/07...azi-twins-1-6/
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 07-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Sierra Indigo Sierra Indigo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
I felt sorry for those little girls when they were little girls, espousing the hate their mother spewed without really understanding it. And I still feel sorry for them, because though they have grown and matured, as it says in the interview, there's still traces of their upbringing in their lives and they have to live the rest of their lives with the associations of their teen years dogging them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Jackmannii Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Prussian Blue is the father of our Labrador retriever, Patience.

I'm not sure if she's a liberal, but she is a goofball.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-18-2011, 01:21 PM
thelurkinghorror thelurkinghorror is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
The real hate crime here is Lynx's failed duckface.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Argent Towers Argent Towers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
I always knew their whole Nazi shtick was totally scripted by their parents or whoever was controlling them, and that they never really had any comprehension of the ideology behind it.

I foresee a lot of black and Jewish men in their future. Nothing like the forbidden fruit.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Sicks Ate Sicks Ate is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: KS, US
Posts: 4,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
I always knew their whole Nazi shtick was totally scripted by their parents or whoever was controlling them, and that they never really had any comprehension of the ideology behind it.

I foresee a lot of black and Jewish men in their future. Nothing like the forbidden fruit.
Where's Sammy Davis, Jr. when you need him?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Guinastasia Guinastasia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
I always knew their whole Nazi shtick was totally scripted by their parents or whoever was controlling them, and that they never really had any comprehension of the ideology behind it.
Well, they started out when they were what, ten-years-old?

Here's hoping as they study more about WWII, they'll dump the Holocaust denial all together. (But Rome wasn't built in a day.)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 07-18-2011 at 10:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Argent Towers Argent Towers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Holocaust denial is getting more mainstream, I think. There are now a lot of academics advocating it. Lynx and Lamb go beyond that - they actually said that Churchill was comparable to Hitler, which is absolutely insane.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 PM
BrainGlutton BrainGlutton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 69,193
Darn! I remember a pic of Prussian Blue looking absolutely adorable and winsome in their cute matching "Happy Hitler" t-shirts (just a with a brush-mustache).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Guinastasia Guinastasia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
Holocaust denial is getting more mainstream, I think. There are now a lot of academics advocating it.
Seriously? That's disturbing.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 AM
Shakester Shakester is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
Holocaust denial is getting more mainstream, I think. There are now a lot of academics advocating it.
If you have a cite of a reputable historian (ie one with actual academic qualifications, unlike David Irving*) who says the holocaust was a hoax, let's see it.

*Also not being an admitted and convicted forger of evidence like Irving would help with the credibility thing.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Shakester Shakester is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
I foresee a lot of black and Jewish men in their future. Nothing like the forbidden fruit.
I've been saying that about them for years.

Sooner or later they'll realise - or someone will point out to them - that they can make a lot of money by going on Oprah and tearfully rejecting their former Nazi ideology.

Last edited by Shakester; 07-19-2011 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: redundant redundancy
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-19-2011, 02:35 AM
mac_bolan00 mac_bolan00 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,767
let white pride grow. it's their right.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-19-2011, 04:23 AM
willthekittensurvive? willthekittensurvive? is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I thought this part was funny

Quote:
Approximately a year ago, Lamb and Lynx stumbled on a new treatment that they say has done wonders for many of these ailments.

“I have to say, marijuana saved my life,” Lynx told me.
that is how you fight hate
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-19-2011, 04:33 AM
Indygrrl Indygrrl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
I think it's amazing that they've already come so far from their white power rdoots. Their ndoctrination went pretty deep, I'd imagine. Then to stand in front of militant supremicists and renounce those beliefs took serious ovaries. I really admire that.

However, their opinion of the holocaust is baffling. They seem very bright, so you'd think they'd accept the facts about it. I've never understood how anyone can deny such a well-documented part of history like it's a matter of opinion rather than a fact.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Shakester Shakester is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indygrrl View Post
I've never understood how anyone can deny such a well-documented part of history like it's a matter of opinion rather than a fact.
Holocaust deniers are no different to any other kind of irrational believer.

For that sort of person, there is no difference between "I want this to be true" and "This is true". There is no possibility that the chosen belief system is incorrect, therefore anyone who says it's incorrect is a liar or a dupe of the conspiracy, and any evidence that it's wrong is forged. And so on. It's worse than a religion, it's a cult.

And it works exactly the same way a cult works. Lots of "Us against the world" "We are the chosen few" stuff. It appeals to people with a certain kind of paranoia and a need to belong to a group. The group reinforces the irrational belief system.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-19-2011, 07:19 AM
amanset amanset is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
Holocaust denial is getting more mainstream, I think. There are now a lot of academics advocating it. Lynx and Lamb go beyond that - they actually said that Churchill was comparable to Hitler, which is absolutely insane.
Bizarrely, I did a Photoshop and Illustrator class at an adult education college here in Stockholm. Our teacher wasn't there for the last couple of lessons before Christmas, which irritated us all. Imagine my surprise to come back from my Christmas holiday in the UK to find out that the reason why was because he was giving a lecture at that Holocaust Denial conference that Ahmadinejad ran in 2006.

http://www.thelocal.se/5797/20061214/

I always found him a strange chap. Didn't quite expect him to be that strange though.

Last edited by amanset; 07-19-2011 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Guinastasia Guinastasia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indygrrl View Post
I think it's amazing that they've already come so far from their white power rdoots. Their ndoctrination went pretty deep, I'd imagine. Then to stand in front of militant supremicists and renounce those beliefs took serious ovaries. I really admire that.

However, their opinion of the holocaust is baffling. They seem very bright, so you'd think they'd accept the facts about it. I've never understood how anyone can deny such a well-documented part of history like it's a matter of opinion rather than a fact.

They've been raised that way, though, so it's still something they're learning about. I suspect they'll come around.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Cat Fight Cat Fight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Quote:
“We just want to come from a place of love and light,” Lamb said. “I think we’re meant to do something more — we’re healers. We just want to exert the most love and positivity we can.”
Oh great. Now they're hippies.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.