Does Rick Perry's stance on NY's gay marriage law lead you to like him a little bit more?

Regarding New York’s gay marriage law, Rick Perry seems to have ruffled a lot of social conservative feathers, including those of the Republican presidential frontrunners, by saying, “That’s New York, and that’s their business, and that’s fine with me.”

So, do you like him a little bit more for that? The eensiest, teensiest amount?

I’d have to know what the hell 10therism is. Google’s not even any help, as it only seems to include quotes from two sources, neither of which define the term. All I can tell is that it must be along the same lines of secessionism and nullification, the latter meaning the supposed right of a state to refuse to enforce a federal law if they believe it unconstitutional.

Probably a pretty silly characterization then, innit? But I suspect it has to do with the 10th Amendment to the Constitution.

Tenthers are pretty close to nullifiers, yeah.

Mmmmm, meaty, tasty, wriggly worm, make a good snack for a fish. Say, what’s that shiny metal part, there? Do worms have shiny, metal parts?

It’s usually spelled Tentherism. A couple of articles on it:
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/04/funders_increase_obama_successes_progress.php
http://www.alternet.org/teaparty/148593/tentherism%3A_the_bizarre_ideology_behind_tea_partiers’_plans_to_kill_social_security_and_child_labor_laws/

Yes. It is reassuring that Perry is somewhere to the left of Rick Santorum on social issues.

That’s all I got.

He’s basically saying, “Not my state, not my problem.”

When he signs a bill allowing same-sex marriage in Texas, I might like him an eensy, teensy bit more.

Not really. What’s his opinion on federal recognition of those marriages NY is performing? :rolleyes: Would he defend DOMA in federal court? Has he reversed his view that Texas’s ban on sodomy was “appropriate” and SCOTUS should’be upheld it? I will say this; Perry probally can afford not to kowtow to the Religous Right as much as the other Republican candidates have to.

Make no mistake, he’s no friend of gay marriage. He pushed pretty hard for the Texas amendment to outlaw it several years back.

What he was really saying is:

“New York is a totally separate state from Texas, and if they want to allow that godless, heathen stuff up there, that’s their business and is fine with me.”

The point being that it’s New York’s business, not Texas’ business.

You also have to wonder if there’s an element of “As a governor, I favor giving power to state governments. Now ask me that question again if I’m President with a Republican Congress in two years.”

It appears to be a crafty political move. It doesn’t directly antagonize the gay community but it sends clear signals to his base that he’s still on their side.

That’s makes him a good politician. It says exactly nothing new or different about his beliefs and shouldn’t change anybody’s opinion of him on either side by an ångström.

ETA: Hey, I got the symbols in ångström to come through. Hope you see them too.

Unitary Executive, anyone?
-Joe

You’re metal, dude.

Yes, a bit.

Also, I disagree with Jillian Rayfield’s (the “10therism” link) interpretation that states’ rights and the Tenth Amendment can be in conflict with Article Six. The key phrase to this point in the latter is “in pursuance thereof.” That is, the supreme law of the land can only be comprised of laws which are Constitutional. Her source, Elizabeth Wydra, says as much, but apparently both of them assume ("…of course…") that any laws becoming points of contention between the states and federal government will be Constitutional.

Than̈ks.

Nope. That doesn’t work. I tried copying the n with diaeresis from Spinal tap, but all that shows is a shifted umlaut you can barely see.

Not one little bit. This is simply consistent with his extreme states rights ideology and has nothing to do with any sense of equality under the law. The man is a hardcore nullifier, secessionist and states rights loon.

I seem to recall we already had a bit of a kerfuffle a few years back that settled these issues but Perry & his pals seem to be ignorant about how that resolved itself.

If the 10th Amendment ever is in conflict with Article Six, the 10th Amendment takes precedence, because it’s the more recent Constitutional addition.

Perry Supports Constitutional Amendment Banning Gay Marriage:

http://blogs.cbn.com/thebrodyfile/archive/2011/07/28/rick-perry-gay-marriage-is-not-fine-with-me.aspx

I don’t think it’s supposed to work that way. All of the Constitution is wholly in force at all times. (In theory.)