The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 PM

How long does Irish Cream stay good?

I have an opened bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream in the fridge, it's been there at least a year but no longer than a year and a half at this point. Is it still good to drink, and if it weren't, how could you tell? I haven't poured any out lately, but it smells normal to me (like alcohol) and I didn't notice any chunks or anything else untoward on the inside of the lid (it was lying on its side, now it's upright in the door). Any thoughts?
Advertisements  
Old 07-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

The manufacturer claims Baileys Irish Cream has a shelf life of 30 months and guarantees its taste for 2 years from the day it was made, opened or unopened, stored in the fridge or not when stored away from direct sunlight at a temperature range of 0-25 degrees Celsius (32 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit). [6]

per Wiki.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:56 AM

Ah, thanks. I suppose this one's a candidate for "why didn't you Google that first," heh. There isn't a date of creation on the bottle, but on closer inspection of the label there is a wee "best taste before" date of this coming December. So at least I have that much to go by. Don't know why I didn't see that before.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeneva View Post
... There isn't a date of creation on the bottle, but on closer inspection of the label there is a wee "best taste before" date of this coming December. So at least I have that much to go by. Don't know why I didn't see that before.
At least according to German wikipedia, there is:
Quote:
Das Produktionsdatum ist indirekt auf allen Flaschen vermerkt. Auf der linken unteren Hälfte der Rückseite befindet sich das vom Hersteller empfohlene Datum für den Konsum, welches 2 Jahre nach der Herstellung ist. Es besteht aus dem Monat und dem Jahr.

The date of production is marked indirectly on all bottles. On the lower left half of the back is the recommended date of consumption by the manufacturer, which is two years after production. It consists of the month and year.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:28 AM

Fair enough, thanks.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:45 AM

I've never had a bottle last long enough for freshness to be a concern. I admire the OP's sobriety.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Over the years I've pitched several bottles of that nasty stuff that folks have left behind at parties we've held. When you can't remember which party it was from and the dust is thick on the bottle cap & shoulders, it gets the heave.

Drink it? Shudders. Evven when fresh.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:45 AM

LOL -- my ability to drink alcohol without dire consequences has decreased severely in recent years, so yeah. I literally kept forgetting it was in there, because it was lying on its side on a narrow little shelf. And all Irish Cream is good for anyway is going into coffee -- or tea, since I don't drink coffee. I suppose I could get some Kahlua and vodka and make mudslides.

Oooooh, just the thought of that made me shudder. No mudslides for me. I am no longer 15.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeneva View Post
And all Irish Cream is good for anyway is going into coffee -- or tea, since I don't drink coffee.
Hot chocolate.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:54 AM

I recommend having it with Cocoa Pebbles, substituting the Baileys for milk.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Hot chocolate.
This. Now, the closest to that that I've tried is with chocolate milk (yum!) but I'm sure hot chocolate would taste just as good.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

If you're only camping for a weekend (and therefore your framepack can handle the extra weight), taking a bottle into the snow makes for a great treat--flavoured snow cones!

Last edited by Rhythmdvl; 07-30-2011 at 11:06 AM..
Old 07-30-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienville View Post

You, good sir, are some sort of God among men.

*runs to store to get Pebbles and Irish cream*
Old 07-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Or you just make your own whenever you needed to. My recipe:

2 egg yolks

1 pint heavy cream (could use half and half if you're a candy ass)

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tsp. instant coffee or espresso powder dissolved in 1 Tbs. water

2 Tbs. chocolate syrup

6 - 8 oz. Jameson Irish Whiskey (6 makes it smooth, 8 kicks you in the ass - your choice) or Bushmills

Makes just over 1 liter.

Pour into bottles and refrigerate.

Shake before serving.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

If you think it is bad, just make a Cement Mixer with it. It is simply Baileys Irish Creme and freeze squeezed lime juice. Even a new bottle of Baileys will coagulate into small chunks with that mixture so any presence of chucks from an an older bottles just becomes a feature rather than a flaw. Ummm, ummm. A Cement Mixer falls into the category of things that aren't good but still manage to shine just because it doesn't suck nearly as much as you think it will.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 07-30-2011 at 08:37 PM..
Old 07-31-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienville View Post
o_0

0_o

o_0

buh. I don't think you can get Cocoa Pebbles here anyway, so it's probably just as well.

I have tried it with hot chocolate, and for some reason it wasn't as good as tea, or even coffee which I don't drink. I will make the odd exception for coffee with Irish Cream, but I do not recommend getting drunk on it...

Last edited by Dunkelheit; 07-31-2011 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: additional squidgy faces
Old 07-31-2011, 08:50 AM

I like it with a bit of milk added but when I order that in a bar I get laughed at.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Gadaí View Post
I like it with a bit of milk added but when I order that in a bar I get laughed at.
Try asking for it in a dirty glass. ;-)
Old 08-01-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Gadaí View Post
I love a Caucasian (White Russian) made with Soy Milk. But I only order it in bars where I know they will take my request seriously.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 AM

I want to get a second opinion. Hopefully, someone here will have had a similar experience and can say one way or another:

I was given a bottle as a gift in late January. It sat in my cupboard (opened once for a recipe I tried) from then until about two weeks ago. My apartment is on the second floor of a very old building and there's only a tiny little window a/c unit to attempt to keep it cool in here.

The bottle was exposed to temps ranging from 76-88 degrees in the past month and a half.

It smells fine. I have not poured any out to see if it had chunks or anything in it. I moved it into the fridge during the heatwave when I remembered it sitting in my cupboard.

Bailey's customer service will only say they won't "guarantee freshness" and suggest not drinking it.

What could have happened to it?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconFinder View Post
I want to get a second opinion. Hopefully, someone here will have had a similar experience and can say one way or another:

I was given a bottle as a gift in late January. It sat in my cupboard (opened once for a recipe I tried) from then until about two weeks ago. My apartment is on the second floor of a very old building and there's only a tiny little window a/c unit to attempt to keep it cool in here.

The bottle was exposed to temps ranging from 76-88 degrees in the past month and a half.

It smells fine. I have not poured any out to see if it had chunks or anything in it. I moved it into the fridge during the heatwave when I remembered it sitting in my cupboard.

Bailey's customer service will only say they won't "guarantee freshness" and suggest not drinking it.

What could have happened to it?
The only thing I can think of is that the milk aspect may have spoiled from the heat, but surely that would be noticeable. Pour some out and see what it looks like, if it's chunky or smells sour I definitely wouldn't drink it. If it seems normal, have just a small taste to test it.

That said, I haven't tried mine yet. ;-) But that's just because I keep forgetting about it again...
Old 08-03-2011, 01:16 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking I'd do. I'm kind of afraid to! LOL
Old 08-03-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Hot chocolate.
Best with Swiss Miss Rich Chocolate or Indulgent Dark Chocolate Sensation.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
That's kind of what I was thinking I'd do. I'm kind of afraid to! LOL
Do like people do when they're testing an unfamiliar plant for edibility. ;-) Put just a drop on your tongue at first, and if it doesn't seem bad, try a larger taste.

I imagine it would be fairly obvious right away if the milk had spoiled. I rather think it would be detectable by smelling alone. At least I know mine hasn't been exposed to undue heat, so I'm pretty confident it's okay. Maybe I'll have a wee tea with it this evening.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:05 PM

Well, I just poured a tiny bit in a glass after swirling it around in the bottle to make sure if there were any solids they wouldn't be stuck at the bottom or anything.

Looks fine, smells fine -- and I did a tiny taste test and it seems to taste fine.

So, perhaps I dodged a bullet?

I don't really drink the stuff, I used it to make some delicious brownies back in March.

Perhaps that bottle will be relegated to baking so that anything bad can get cooked out and if I ever decide to drink some, I'll get a new bottle.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Perhaps that bottle will be relegated to baking so that anything bad can get cooked out and if I ever decide to drink some, I'll get a new bottle.
That's a good idea. And Irish Cream Brownies... that's another good idea. ;-)
Old 08-05-2011, 04:25 PM

They were FABULOUS:
http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/s...cream-bars.htm
Old 08-05-2011, 04:33 PM

For the record, Baja Rosa does not stay good when kept on a non-refrigerated shelf for a year. That was vileeeee.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I saw some small bottles of Bailey's for sale one time -- not small as in airline samplers, but rather enough for a few drinks -- and bought it just because it looked cute sitting on the shelf at home as a decorative item. Then one day after moving it -- this was some years later -- we could see enough through the smoky glass to tell that there was no liquid movement. The entire contents had solidified.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:51 PM

Eeeeeewwwwwwww...

Er, that was in response to the "solidified bottle" post, not the "Irish Cream Brownies recipe" post...

Last edited by Dunkelheit; 08-06-2011 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: clarification