The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 07-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Is Elmo evil or is it just me?

Why do I hate Elmo? Okay, hate is too strong a word, but it works in casual conversation. The Dudeling is a bit over a year and a half and knows his alphabet/colors/numbers, so weíre thinking of letting him watch a bit of television from time to time (thatís a whole other thread). But every time Elmo is on the screen, or shows up on a toy or book, I want to cringe. Thereís also some Brundlefly creature thatís fairly annoying too (one of the electronic books screeches ďIím ready! Iím ready!Ē), for similarly vague reasons.

I canít imagine finding Grover or Cookie Monster so repugnant, so itís not an anti-muppet thing. Could it be that all the other muppets are Ďpeopleí, yet Elmo is some hyper-infantilized monstrosity? But I vaguely recall other Ďkidí muppets out there. Is it that Elmo is new? But Iím not that territorial with other things, and Elmo has been around for years. I donít get it.

Parents with more experienceówhat is it about Elmo that grates so much? Why does the Dudeling find him so compelling? Oh, and why was it so hard to find Deaf/Mute Elmo in the stores?

(Mods, if I'm not alone in this and it devolves into a Pit thread, I'm fine with moving it rather than reining in posters. Unless, of course, it turns into a Pit of me, then you should break out the banstick.)
Advertisements  
Old 07-28-2011, 01:21 PM

For me, it's the voice and the talking in third person habit. That high pitched whiny moron tone just grates on my nerves.

Prairie Dawn would have been my favorite Sesame Street character of all time if she didn't have a similar high pitched whiny voice.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:21 PM

I think it's like you said, that Elmo is infantile. The other muppets...Grover, Bert, Ernie, Cookie Monster, etc., are all adults. Big Bird isn't an adult, but he's also not an infant. Elmo and Zoe are. So, the rest of the muppets generally act and talk like older people. That's not true for Elmo or Zoe, who act and talk like toddlers.

I think that's a large part of the reason you find him annoying but that your kid finds him so engaging.

Last edited by Captain Amazing; 07-28-2011 at 01:22 PM..
Old 07-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

I don't hate Elmo, but I definitely want him to STFU.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 PM

He's still better than the purple pedophile dinosaur. That show never got turned on at our house.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:08 PM

I adore Kermit. (But I wish someone would turn Miss Piggy into sausages.)
I love Ernie and Bert. (FWIW, ever since I was little kid I thought they were married. It seems many people hint they are more than roommates.)
I have a love-hate relationship with Barney.
The Teletubbies creep me out. (Are they still on, BTW?)
I am indifferent to Elmo.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

I think it's good for the Dudeling to watch. He teaches nice toddler things like how to take a bath, or take care of your teeth, eat your veggies, and how to not be afraid of thunder. I'm pretty sure it's designed to be compelling to toddlers, with the simplistic bold lines and bright colors, and even that annoying voice.

It could be worse, he could like the Wonder Pets, with that lisping duck.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:42 AM

His voice is fine. It's just the third person thing. And kids will pick up on it. Sure, they'll learn it's wrong, but it's annoying to have to deal with the regression. And I say that as someone who only dealt with them in a co-babysitting fashion (where I wasn't even the disciplinarian).

Last edited by BigT; 07-29-2011 at 10:43 AM..
Old 07-29-2011, 11:26 AM

However evil Elmo may be he's only the understudy

Bert, however...

http://www.bertisevil.tv/
Old 07-29-2011, 12:47 PM

It's that voice, that ear-shattering voice! Which is funny since nobody seemed to mind so much when Kevin Clash played this guy

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm235837440/ch0107529

Last edited by NotherYinzer; 07-29-2011 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: hotlink didn't work
Old 07-29-2011, 02:24 PM

I dare you to watch this and not think Elmo (and the puppeteer) are hysterical.

http://youtu.be/Kr9_5uZn6ds

Oh and also listen to this
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6169709
Old 07-29-2011, 04:36 PM

I really warmed up to Elmo after I found what else was out there. His voice is annoying, but he's an upbeat, positive character who teaches worthwhile lessons. Although, it should be pointed out, valuable lessons on how trap and eat guys from the Wiggles are conspicuously absent. Otherwise he's OK in my book.

But yes, he's infantile, as as been noted, and my guess is that's a big part of the problem. I seem to recall reading somewhere that he was introduced at a time when there was a conscientious decision by the makers of Sesame Street to change their target audience from the kindergarten-early elementary school set to the toddler segment. Hence Elmo, Abby, and their ilk- all definitely infantile characters designed to appeal to a 2-year-old.

For the record, the first TV or video of any kind that our first child watched was Sesame Street when he was around a year old, and his knowledge of letters and numbers showed up early and strongly. Possibly only correlation instead of causation, but still. He hasn't learned a thing from the goddamned Wiggles, that's for sure.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Rich as a Lannister

Moving thread from IMHO to Cafe Society.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

I'd only glanced at the Wiggles before (my nephew was what, a Wiggle-head?), and they kind of creeped me out in a 'please stop with that vapid smile' sort of way. Then a short while ago I dropped them into Rhapsody to hear what's in store, and I must admit to being surprised at the caliber of composition. Not quite Pink Floyd for young'uns, but much better than I expected. I suppose after hearing the same song a thousand times I might feel differently, but for now I'm letting my guard down. A bit.

The Dudeling has seen and heard very little of Elmo--our main hang-out is the parlour, which has music but no video to speak of. His Elmo-fixation is pretty much solely based on the handful of items his face (Elmo's, not the Dudeling's) is plastered on. A couple books, his deaf/mute Elmo doll, and, now that I think of it, probably the largest impact: his diapers.

Yeah, maybe that whole Seinfeld episode with 'The Jimmy' or whatever was tapping into the third-person annoyance. The cloyingly sweet toddler-like persona is pretty grating. Fucker. Oops. I never thought of Grover as an adult per se, or even an older kid. There were some old muppets (Sam the Eagle, Statler and Waldorf), but most were self-identifiable people.

The Gervais skit is pretty cool. Anyone know if Elmo has done Colbert?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotherYinzer View Post
It's that voice, that ear-shattering voice! Which is funny since nobody seemed to mind so much when Kevin Clash played this guy

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm235837440/ch0107529]
Clash also did this guy, and old friend of mine.

Last edited by Marley23; 07-30-2011 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: fixed coding
Old 07-29-2011, 07:05 PM

Heh. I found Elmo to be not nearly as annoying once I found the YouTube outtakes involving some very adult humor with comedian guests.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Beauchamp View Post
I dare you to watch this and not think Elmo (and the puppeteer) are hysterical.

http://youtu.be/Kr9_5uZn6ds

Oh and also listen to this
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6169709
Here's more of the interview with Ricky Gervais!

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 07-29-2011 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: forgot the link! and misspelled Gervais!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 PM

The most annoying thing about Elmo is that he's overexposed. A little Elmo goes a long way. The vibrating maniacal laughing Elmo doll creeps a lot of kids out, too. We have an ancient one that just won't die.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalypso View Post
It could be worse, he could like the Wonder Pets, with that lisping duck.
I hate this fucking show. The premise is stupid beyond belief even for a kids show. But that stupid lisping duck irks my drawers. It's a kids show and characters should speak properly.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdvl View Post
I canít imagine finding Grover or Cookie Monster so repugnant, so itís not an anti-muppet thing.
My Sesame Street watching began around 1972, so my antipathy to Elmo (when I found out about him) was based around how much he seemed like a debasement of Grover.

My daughter loves Elmo, though - and after getting used to him I can't really find anything about him that is objectively more annoying than Grover, who I'm sure my parents found incredibly irritating.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

It's just you that's evil. Not Elmo, not anyone else.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 07-30-2011 at 11:08 AM..
Old 07-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Clash also did this guy, and old friend of mine.
Yes, but that guy was intelligent and funny. Elmo... isn't.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
I hate this fucking show. The premise is stupid beyond belief even for a kids show. But that stupid lisping duck irks my drawers. It's a kids show and characters should speak properly.
You guys don't like Wonder Pets? How can any show that boasts the line, "Baby chimp! Take the banana out of your ear!" be bad?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:24 AM

I heart Wonder Pets. I encouraged my daughter to watch it far past the preschool stage it's appropriate for, 'cause we'd have so much fun singing along.

And I gotta say, there's nothing more motivating for cleaning up the bedroom than a rousing rendition of, "What's gonna work? TEAMWORK!" (Well, OK, that evil purple dinosaur has a good clean up song, too, but...ick.)