The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 07-31-2011, 08:16 PM

Buying Sudafed...The "good stuff".

I'm sure most know that because of the widespread use of pseudoephedrine-containing products to manufacture illegal methamphetamine, the sale of original formula Sudafed (which contains pseudoephedrine) is now restricted to behind-the-counter purchases at the pharmacy dept. of drug stores and supermarkets.

What this means is you must present your I.D. to the pharmacist, who scans it through the national database to check against known perpetrators and to see if you're purchase falls within the permissible limitations on how much a person can buy in a given time. You must then sign a form and it is really all kind of strange. I almost feel like I am doing something wrong when I am going up to RiteAid to get some relief from my stuffed up sinuses.

It is intimidating, in a way. I went to the drug store today to buy Sudafed and the pharmacist treated me like a shady teenager trying to buy booze or something. When I initially asked for the sudafed, the pharmicist replied back, "Sudafed 12hr is not available after 6pm. We've had a lot of trouble with it lately." I didn't even know what he meant at first by "sudafed 12hr" and I just kind of stared blankly at him and repeated "I just need Sudafed". "Oh, yes, we have the regular Sudafed." And he glared at me the whole time he was ringing up my purchase. As if my one little 24 count box of sudafed was going towards some meth ring or something. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

I got to my car and realized how relieved I felt. Man, all that just to get some freaking decongestant! Ugh...
Advertisements  
Old 07-31-2011, 08:32 PM

I totally agree with you that it can be a pain and it seems like just about everything these days is governed.

When I was working as a Pharmacy tech in a grocery chain for a year we had to do all the things that you mentioned, except check a computer base. We just wrote the person's name down in a book that was provided by the state and note that we checked their ID. Customers were only limited to (I think) 48 tablets a day, depending on the strength, from what I can remember.

One of the Pharmacist may have checked the log to see how regularly a customer was buying it, but I never saw them. Though there was a time another store called and asked us to check our list for a certain person and the dates they came in. It turned out he was store hopping for a couple days and that store ended up calling the police.

Though besides that one time, we never really did anything with the book. Just stored them away after they were full. I am sure they were sent to the state after a couple months.

I never looked at anyone odd for buying them either. I was doing my job by putting their name down. It wasn't my job to judge a person by their purchase.

Last edited by BrknButterfly; 07-31-2011 at 08:33 PM..
Old 07-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

I always feel a bit dirty after buying Sudafed these days and I am usually dressed in scrubs when I buy it.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:42 PM

You bunch of meth heads....
Old 07-31-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Mistress View Post
I always feel a bit dirty after buying Sudafed these days and I am usually dressed in scrubs when I buy it.
Yes! I become VERY aware of my state of dress when in front of the pharmacist asking for the sudafed. I feel judged, like he's thinking "Oh, so they got a guy in a wheelchair to act as their "front man", coming in and buying sudafed. Nobody'd suspect a disabled guy."
Old 07-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Ditto for me too. I don't go through much of it, but just because of the hassle of buying it, I rarely give any to coworkers anymore. Luckily I have a rather exotic selection of other decongestants, but Sudafed is still nice if I'm looking for something gentler.
I always feel like for I ought to be getting a buzz from it for the extra trouble I have to go through to get it. I assume this is similar to what buying codeine is like in Canada.

*I was seeing a psychiatrist in college for ADHD who over-prescribed like you wouldn't believe. Without going into all the illegal things I did with those pills, 10 years later I probably still have 500 or so left. A half a pill makes it like you don't even have a cold...amphetamines are nasal decongestants. Pseudoephedrine does a good job...Adderall and Dextrostat (pharmaceutical speed) does a great job.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Sudafed is fast turning into a prescription-only item in Missouri. This hasn't happened in St. Louis City or County yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did shortly. The more rural communities are all putting laws in place, one after another. There is quite a large meth making problem in Missouri and they see this as an effort to bring it under control. Supposedly, this helps, more than just putting it behind the counter and making people sign for it; I have no idea if that's true or not
Old 07-31-2011, 09:55 PM

Consider yourselves lucky. Twice a month I get to drop $25 for the 10 hour, 30-cap Claritin-D

I'd LOVE to be able to buy, I dunno, 100 at a time, but it's OTC. I'd love to save a little dough on my constant an forever-after allergy condition.

$600 a year for PART of my regimen. The eyedrops last a long time at $12 a bottle. The Nasal spray lasts quite awhile at $10 copay per bottle. But without that REAL decongestant, I'm deaf, can't smell, and am nearly unfunctional.

And yeah, I expect the TSA to take over the pharmacy soon. Making 99% of the population suffer for the less than 1% that causes the problems is fargin stupid. They just buy it in bulk and manufacture the stuff south of the border.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

I remember when these restrictions weren't in place. I graduated from college in 1988 and if you went to the infirmary complaining of a cold, they'd just hand you an envelope with ten or twenty generic pseudoephedrine pills in it. No big deal. I doubt they do that now.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I remember when these restrictions weren't in place. I graduated from college in 1988 and if you went to the infirmary complaining of a cold, they'd just hand you an envelope with ten or twenty generic pseudoephedrine pills in it. No big deal. I doubt they do that now.
When I was in college (98-02) they handed out all kinds of free stuff in those "Welcome to college" gift boxes that were full of No Doz, shaving cream, cold meds etc. The cold pills were something magic. They had them at the on campus doctor's office as well, free samples to boot, take as many as you want. I don't remember what was in them, but all of a sudden they disappeared. Turns out whatever the magic ingredient was got taken off the market. I'd imagine it was some sort of stimulant that was probably giving people heart attacks or strokes. Wish I could remember what it was.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unintentionally Blank View Post
Consider yourselves lucky. Twice a month I get to drop $25 for the 10 hour, 30-cap Claritin-D

I'd LOVE to be able to buy, I dunno, 100 at a time, but it's OTC. I'd love to save a little dough on my constant an forever-after allergy condition.

$600 a year for PART of my regimen. The eyedrops last a long time at $12 a bottle. The Nasal spray lasts quite awhile at $10 copay per bottle. But without that REAL decongestant, I'm deaf, can't smell, and am nearly unfunctional.

And yeah, I expect the TSA to take over the pharmacy soon. Making 99% of the population suffer for the less than 1% that causes the problems is fargin stupid. They just buy it in bulk and manufacture the stuff south of the border.
loratadine (claritin) and sudafed (the D part) are both available in generic. the downside is you would take two pills instead of one, but it might make a considerable savings for you, depending on your insurance plan. I find I pay less if I just buy OTC than if I send it through my insurance plan.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I always feel like for I ought to be getting a buzz from it for the extra trouble I have to go through to get it. I assume this is similar to what buying codeine is like in Canada.
Although they keep stuff with codeine behind the counter you don't need to present ID nor do they take down your name. A few months ago my desk bottle and my home bottle ran out at the same time so I bought 2 bottles, 400 tablets each and didn't even get a blink. Once in a while they ask if you've taken it before and if you say no the pharmacist will review the side effects with you. Basically it's easier to buy codeine than Sudafed.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:53 PM

At least you can still get real Sudafed (that sounds funny to me). But you can't get real Coricidin D, which was a magic drug. You can't get it at all. It's gone.

I found some really old ones three years ago when I moved. I kept them for emergencies. I kept thinking, "Well, they're old. And probably they really aren't that much better than Zyrtek" (although certainly CHEAPER, and with a better name). And then the day came when I just couldn't take anymore almost-sneezing, which of course is worse than actual active sneezing, at least for awhile, until you start really sneezing. And you know what? They are that much better.

Yanno, Sudafed used to be prescription-only. I can live with that. But why can't the original Coricidin D be prescription-only if it's so damn dangerous? My brother the pharmacist said it caused something (liver trouble? Heart problems?) in women of a certain age, but I'm PAST that age so WHY CAN'T I HAVE IT IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK? I guess it is.

I really hate the idea that I might be tagged a frequent flyer just because I want to be able to breathe through my nose.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Mistress View Post
loratadine (claritin) and sudafed (the D part) are both available in generic. the downside is you would take two pills instead of one, but it might make a considerable savings for you, depending on your insurance plan. I find I pay less if I just buy OTC than if I send it through my insurance plan.
I'll look into the sudafed part, you're right in the Claritin part: 300 for $12 at Costco...it's the decongestant part where they're screwing ya.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
When I was in college (98-02) they handed out all kinds of free stuff in those "Welcome to college" gift boxes that were full of No Doz, shaving cream, cold meds etc. The cold pills were something magic. They had them at the on campus doctor's office as well, free samples to boot, take as many as you want. I don't remember what was in them, but all of a sudden they disappeared. Turns out whatever the magic ingredient was got taken off the market. I'd imagine it was some sort of stimulant that was probably giving people heart attacks or strokes. Wish I could remember what it was.
Phenylpropanolamine. Yep, banned because of the stroke risk, specifically in young women. Gods, I miss that stuff!

ETA: PPE was also the stuff in Coricidin D.

Last edited by WhyNot; 07-31-2011 at 11:19 PM..
Old 07-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Phenylpropanolamine. Yep, banned because of the stroke risk, specifically in young women. Gods, I miss that stuff!
Yup, AKA PPA. The pills we got probably also had tylenol in them based on how big I remember them being.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlitherial View Post
Although they keep stuff with codeine behind the counter you don't need to present ID nor do they take down your name. A few months ago my desk bottle and my home bottle ran out at the same time so I bought 2 bottles, 400 tablets each and didn't even get a blink. Once in a while they ask if you've taken it before and if you say no the pharmacist will review the side effects with you. Basically it's easier to buy codeine than Sudafed.
Out of curiosity, what type of pills can you buy? Is there a limit on the codeine strength before you need a script? Was this Tylenol/codeine or just codeine?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

We bought pseudoephedrine last night. After we’d stood in line for a while, I nearly forgot what we were there for, and I stammered when I asked for the pills. Then my husband asked a question about the strength, and the cashier went off to speak to the pharmacist. I whispered to my husband, “Now you’ve done it.” Then the pharmacist came back and said, “I’ll be completing this transaction for you.” It took her so long to finish ringing us up and get the logbook, I was certain they were trying to delay us until the cops arrived.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
When I was in college in the early 90s, for a while there I went crazy trying to lose weight. As part of that, I was taking a "triple stack" four times a day: 300mg of aspirin, 100mg of caffeine, and 30mg of ephedrine. None of this "pseudo" stuff, actual ephedrine. I bought it from an online nutrition store that would also sell vitamins and protein supplements. As I recall, I'd buy three 90-count bottles at a time. It was cheap. Of course, they don't sell it anymore.

I stopped taking the stack when I realized it was causing some personality changes, such as the time I threw a couch at my brother.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:20 AM

One good thing that happened to me was a while back I had to show ID for a box and the guy gave me the stink eye and said my driver's license had expired.

Oh. Wow. I had no idea! I had been driving for months that way. Luckily I found out there and not by the police.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:12 AM

Pseudoephedrine is one of the few drugs I buy, because it works. And every time they have to treat me like a meth addict begging for one more hit. The last place told me that my driver's license expiration was incorrect in the national database so they can't sell to me until I correct that - but they don't know how that is done. Since I can only get 24 pills at a time it is hardly worth the trouble of being treated like a meth addict. Why don't they just make the stuff illegal?

I am curious how these rules are made? What is the government agency that just gets to make up rules about what drugs are legal?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftless View Post
I am curious how these rules are made? What is the government agency that just gets to make up rules about what drugs are legal?
I believe that's the FDA, but when it involves Scheduled drugs the DEA comes into play.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 AM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
When I was in college in the early 90s, for a while there I went crazy trying to lose weight. As part of that, I was taking a "triple stack" four times a day: 300mg of aspirin, 100mg of caffeine, and 30mg of ephedrine. None of this "pseudo" stuff, actual ephedrine. I bought it from an online nutrition store that would also sell vitamins and protein supplements. As I recall, I'd buy three 90-count bottles at a time. It was cheap. Of course, they don't sell it anymore.

I stopped taking the stack when I realized it was causing some personality changes, such as the time I threw a couch at my brother.
But did you lose any weight?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
But did you lose any weight?
Oh yeah. I wasn't skinny by any means, I'm too large-framed for that, but I shed bad pounds and put on some rock-hard muscle. Considering the long-term damage I may have done to myself, it wasn't worth it.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemcgarry View Post
I went to the drug store today to buy Sudafed and the pharmacist treated me like a shady teenager trying to buy booze or something. When I initially asked for the sudafed, the pharmicist replied back, "Sudafed 12hr is not available after 6pm. We've had a lot of trouble with it lately." I didn't even know what he meant at first by "sudafed 12hr" and I just kind of stared blankly at him and repeated "I just need Sudafed". "Oh, yes, we have the regular Sudafed." And he glared at me the whole time he was ringing up my purchase.
I would've called him on it then and there. You're the customer, you're not breaking the law, and he's some putz pharmacist making 40 grand a year. Who the hell is he to judge you?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:53 PM

When I worked at a Walgreens in northwest Arkansas, we had issues with coordinated groups of people getting others to buy Sudafed. They would send in two or three people to buy Sudafed, then one or two other people would come in and steal instant cold compresses, iodine, and lithium batteries, along with whatever else was in their path. I'm not sure why they wanted the batteries, the cold compresses, or the iodine, but I was told you could use them to make drugs.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:55 PM

I suppose there's one advantage to being a big guy: I don't look much like a druggie.

I've never had a real problem with buying pseudoephedrine. The stores I go to have little plastic placards stocked in the aisle. Grab one, take it to the pharmacy, they retrieve the box, you fill out the form and get it rung up. It's a pain, but not very intimidating, and the pharmacist has never treated me as anything more than a fellow person being inconvenienced by the process.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unintentionally Blank View Post
I'll look into the sudafed part, you're right in the Claritin part: 300 for $12 at Costco...it's the decongestant part where they're screwing ya.
Yeah, I usually get the two drugs separately as well. I can't find the prices of generic pseudephedrine online (), but off the top of my head I think it's $5-$10 for a 20-pack of 12-hour pills. You might easily cut you medications costs in half by getting generics.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
I've never had a real problem with buying pseudoephedrine. The stores I go to have little plastic placards stocked in the aisle. Grab one, take it to the pharmacy, they retrieve the box, you fill out the form and get it rung up. It's a pain, but not very intimidating, and the pharmacist has never treated me as anything more than a fellow person being inconvenienced by the process.
That's generally true for me also, but one time I went in to my local CVS (where I've been a customer for about 8 years) near closing time and tried to get a pack... the pharmacist exchanged glances with the manager and said "We're all out."
Old 08-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

I've never had a problem buying it. Once had to sign a paper register, and more recently a credit-card type signature screen. I rarely buy it, though. I have sinus issues and it does work fairly well for congestion (unlike oral phenylephrine a.k.a. "new formula" Sudafed, which did precisely nothing), but it makes me feel edgy as hell, and--- well, let's just say sinus tissue is not the only thing that shrinks when I take it.

I'm aware of the rationale for all the record-keeping now, but I don't understand why the purchase of a single box would invite so much scrutiny and suspicion.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
I'm aware of the rationale for all the record-keeping now, but I don't understand why the purchase of a single box would invite so much scrutiny and suspicion.
I don't get it either. The reason it continues to be sold at all is, hey, it's an effective drug with a legitimate use.

I mean, if someone wants to buy out the store's entire stock, that's an eyebrow raiser at the very least. But if someone wants a single box, don't make the poor bastard dealing with a cold go through any more trouble than he has to.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post

Aspirin for weight loss? I've never heard that one before.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbkrazy View Post
I would've called him on it then and there. You're the customer, you're not breaking the law, and he's some putz pharmacist making 40 grand a year. Who the hell is he to judge you?
$40k? I don't think there are any pharmacists that have made that little since the 80's. We are making like 3 times that nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjepson View Post
That's generally true for me also, but one time I went in to my local CVS (where I've been a customer for about 8 years) near closing time and tried to get a pack... the pharmacist exchanged glances with the manager and said "We're all out."
I don't know if they were telling the truth, since that is the classic line when we don't want to sell something or fill a script... However, CVS got into some trouble due to their psudoephedrine selling practices a while back, resulted in a BIG fine, and the loss of all the profits from psudoephedrine sells. Since then, CVS corporate has been much more strict, and has actually limited the amount of psudoephedrine products shipped to their stores. So.. It is possible they actually were out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftless View Post
Nationally? Congress is the ones who set up all the rules and regulations on psuedoephedrine sales, as part of the Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005. However, the various states have made a lot of their own rules, which might be stricter then the national requirements.

Personally, I have no problem selling psudoephedrine, it is my nasal decongestant of choice, and I recommend it to all my patients. In my experience it works much better then phenylephrine. However, I have seen some shady people try to buy the maximum amount they can, and they always seem to ask for Sudefed 24hr or 12hr.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:39 PM

I go in, say, "I want to buy as much as I can buy legally" and sign the stuff. Either I am immune to the stinkeye or I just look so much like a suburban housewife that they can't imagine me doing drugs.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post

ETA: PPE was also the stuff in Coricidin D.
That was what was in the original Dimetapp, back when Dimetapp was the good stuff.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
That was what was in the original Dimetapp, back when Dimetapp was the good stuff.
Yep. Except for that embarrassing typo I made. Should be PPA, of course.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:16 PM

You should come to MO (we are, or were, meth-producing capital of the US). They're seriously considering making all OTC drugs that are behind-the-counter currently prescription only. Because I really want to go to the doctor every time I need some Claritin-D.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemcgarry View Post
Aspirin for weight loss? I've never heard that one before.
Wiki on the ECA Stack. I'm not clear on the exact role of the aspirin, but from what I've read, it enhances the effects of the other two.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:14 PM

You have to show your ID to get canned air to clean your electronics around here.

Last edited by wolfman; 08-01-2011 at 06:15 PM..
Old 08-01-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GythaOgg View Post
Sudafed is fast turning into a prescription-only item in Missouri. This hasn't happened in St. Louis City or County yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did shortly. The more rural communities are all putting laws in place, one after another. There is quite a large meth making problem in Missouri and they see this as an effort to bring it under control. Supposedly, this helps, more than just putting it behind the counter and making people sign for it; I have no idea if that's true or not
It's not a St Louis county thing yet but most of the little burgs in the county are prescription only. I don't understand how they can do that but they are.
I wonder if that includes possession? And if I have a script, doesn't that give me some protection from the prying eyes of the man? <- iffy?

I hate being punished because of a few assholes. Meth labs, puppy mills and buck toothed hillbillies. And that's just our elected officials.
MOSux
Old 08-01-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what type of pills can you buy? Is there a limit on the codeine strength before you need a script? Was this Tylenol/codeine or just codeine?
You can buy either Tylenol/Codeine (Tylenol 1) or Asprin/Codeine (222's). Both of those have 8mg of codeine per pill. Pure codeine and higher dosages (tylenol 3) are still prescription only.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi N. Cheese View Post
It's not a St Louis county thing yet but most of the little burgs in the county are prescription only. I don't understand how they can do that but they are.
I wonder if that includes possession? And if I have a script, doesn't that give me some protection from the prying eyes of the man? <- iffy?

I hate being punished because of a few assholes. Meth labs, puppy mills and buck toothed hillbillies. And that's just our elected officials.
MOSux
(Two jail inmates meet in jail)...Inmate#1: "Hey man, I just got picked up for giving my old lady a black eye...It sucks. What're you in here for?" Inmate#2: "Possession of Sudafed". Inmate#2:

Last edited by Ambivalid; 08-01-2011 at 10:06 PM..
Old 08-01-2011, 10:20 PM

When this all started they were saying that liquid medications with pseudoephedrine would still be available on the shelf because the drug couldn't be isolated form the rest of the liquids. I expected to see all kinds of liquids and gel caps come on the market but it never happened. They were even saying that you would be able to buy one 24 or 48 hour amount off the shelf for cold emergencies when the pharmacy was closed and that never happened either.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulema View Post
When this all started they were saying that liquid medications with pseudoephedrine would still be available on the shelf because the drug couldn't be isolated form the rest of the liquids. I expected to see all kinds of liquids and gel caps come on the market but it never happened. They were even saying that you would be able to buy one 24 or 48 hour amount off the shelf for cold emergencies when the pharmacy was closed and that never happened either.
By federal law, Single dose psudoephedrine packages aren't restricted. I have seen the single packs that have 2 tablets of 30mg psudoephedrine in the gas stations around here. So, if they are restricted where you live, that is a state thing, not a federal thing.

I haven't heard anything about the liquids though. The psudoephedrine suspensions (for children normally), are behind the pharmacy counter here.

(I'm in Georgia for the record. I know Georgia law, so that is all I speak for)
Old 08-01-2011, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. Sudafed+Costco Claritin will drop my daily allergy cost from $1.46 to $0.45 if everything works the same.

Eta: whaddaya ripoff... Claritin OTC: 0.08 a pill, for 24 hours. Claritin D: $0.73 a pill, twice a day.

Last edited by Unintentionally Blank; 08-01-2011 at 11:16 PM..
Old 08-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlitherial View Post
You can buy either Tylenol/Codeine (Tylenol 1) or Asprin/Codeine (222's). Both of those have 8mg of codeine per pill. Pure codeine and higher dosages (tylenol 3) are still prescription only.
Do some of the provincial or municipal jurisdictions have stricter controls? Last I checked, Schedule V controlled substances, which includes the weaker Tylenol/Codeine and codeine cough syrups (e.g. Robitussin AC), actually don't require a prescription under Federal drug laws in the States. But the majority of states have their own stricter laws in place about this.

Had this not been the case, I think the Feds would have simply decided that Sudafed would now be a Schedule V controlled substance.

To those in jurisdictions where you need a script to by Sudafed, are they renewable?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post
Do some of the provincial or municipal jurisdictions have stricter controls? Last I checked, Schedule V controlled substances, which includes the weaker Tylenol/Codeine and codeine cough syrups (e.g. Robitussin AC), actually don't require a prescription under Federal drug laws in the States. But the majority of states have their own stricter laws in place about this.

Had this not been the case, I think the Feds would have simply decided that Sudafed would now be a Schedule V controlled substance.

To those in jurisdictions where you need a script to by Sudafed, are they renewable?
I have never run into, nor am I able to find a cite for, any jurisdictional variation in pharmacutecal laws in Canada. They appear to be federal only.

Also I was a little tongue in cheek about Sudafed. In Canada it's either handled the same as the 222/Tylenol 1 pills, behind the counter but no additional controls or on the shelf.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirka T'Bawa View Post
Personally, I have no problem selling psudoephedrine, it is my nasal decongestant of choice, and I recommend it to all my patients. In my experience it works much better then phenylephrine. However, I have seen some shady people try to buy the maximum amount they can, and they always seem to ask for Sudefed 24hr or 12hr.
I buy the 12 hour because the regular kind really only works for about 3 hours for me, which means I can't sleep through the night without waking up congested. I don't use it very often, only for a few weeks a year when my allergies are out of control, but I've never understood how people can stand using the short duration stuff. Maybe it just wears out faster for me than for most people.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirka T'Bawa View Post
Congress is the ones who set up all the rules and regulations on psuedoephedrine sales, as part of the Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005. However, the various states have made a lot of their own rules, which might be stricter then the national requirements.
Thanks for the tip. It's nice to know that these decisions aren't being made by some random guy in the basement of the FDA. On the other hand it seems, to me, like a waste of congress' time to be crafting laws about every drug that may or may not be used for illegitimate purposes.

Led me to the Wiki CMEA Wiki that included this interesting statement:

Quote:
"The CMEA requires record-keeping and identification of all sales and reports to law enforcement of any 'suspicious' transactions. Purchasers are limited to '3.6 grams of pseudoephedrine base' per day and 9 grams per month. (Buying more than that is a federal misdemeanor.)"[2]
So basically, unless someone keeps track of my psuedoephedrine purchases, it would be easy for me to go over the limit and inadvertently commit a federal misdemeanor. It appears that some of the pharmacies I've been to lately have some sort of system to track purchases. A system that is broken for me because they got a typo in my driver's license expiration date that says mine has expired. Maybe when I get a new license in 2 years they will be able to correct the error and I can buy psuedophed again.

I also would like to understand how a pharmacy employee is supposed to judge whether a person is 'suspicious.' I get the stinkeye every time ask for the stuff so I have to wonder if there is the air of a meth addict about me.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:29 PM

Considering meth production involves kitty litter, I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested putting THAT behind the counter. (I'm not kidding -- I honestly would not be surprised)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
Mmmm...Dimetapp. Plus it tasted like grape popscicles.