The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

View Poll Results: Do you care about anniversaries (yours)?
Of course I do! 36 31.03%
Nopes 25 21.55%
Meh 49 42.24%
If I didn't I would be in major trouble... 2 1.72%
Other 4 3.45%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Do anniversaries matter to you?

Talking to a female friend of mine, we got onto the subject of anniversaries. I don't remember them, quite frankly. If I want to be with you I'll be with you. It's about the quality, not the quantity. Getting hung up on an anniversary is silly. On the other hand, celebrating an big anniversary I understand as it seems a lot of people get tired of others after a bit and split off.

So I ask you...do you care about anniversaries?
Advertisements  
Old 08-03-2011, 04:21 PM

The only anniversary I keep track of is when we met, and that's fairly easy for me to remember, since that was my one week-vacation that year. I don't remember any other dates. So yes, that one IS important to me. OTOH, HE may forget that one, but he's pretty diligent about keeping tabs on birthdays (of his friends and family).
Old 08-03-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

My husband and I have never made a big deal about our anniversary. My family was aghast that we didn't have a big blowout for our 25th. Honestly, it's become an excuse to go to a rather pricey restaurant that we really like. This year will be our 28th - it will be celebrated just like the 27 that came before.

I do remember the date of our first date only because we had a really short courtship before eloping. But it's just a bit f trivia, not a big deal.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:49 PM

I voted other because it would be nice to celebrate every once in a while, but I know my husband well enough to realize that it will never happen. Our anniversairy was this past weekend, and the only acknowledgment I got from him was him saying "I hope you wern't expecting anything".

I guess over time I have learned not to make them matter to me if I don't want to be constantly dissapointed.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 PM

I do not give a rat's ass about anniversaries. Or birthdays.

I'm all for celebrating stuff, but why it needs to be on that particular day, and not the day before or after or a month after....it baffles me.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:01 PM

I have to take my daughters age and do math to figure out how many years I've been married.

For the first few years I kept forgetting if our anniversary was July 30th or 31st.

This year, although we were in Las Vegas over our anniversary it was the night we celebrated the least. I believe he had a pizza slice for dinner and I had a pretzel dog.

So I voted Nopes
Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlitherial View Post
I have to take my daughters age and do math to figure out how many years I've been married.

For the first few years I kept forgetting if our anniversary was July 30th or 31st.

This year, although we were in Las Vegas over our anniversary it was the night we celebrated the least. I believe he had a pizza slice for dinner and I had a pretzel dog.

So I voted Nopes
Moon, that's ok. A couple years ago I helped my parents celebrate their 39th anniversary. What did they do, you ask? We went to costco for a cheap meal and then they took me to a car dealership so I could get a car. How exciting.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:07 PM

On the plus side my husband thinks he's the luckiest guy in the world. He never gets in shit over forgetting our anniversary. For that matter he wouldn't if he forgot my birthday but he hasn't done that.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:16 PM

We don't make a big deal out of our anniversary, and didn't make a big deal out of our dating anniversary when we weren't married. Sure, we'll have a nice meal (homecooked or night out), but we don't generally do the exchange of gifts or anything more exciting than going to a restaurant.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:16 PM

I voted "Meh" because while we always happily acknowledge our anniversary and sometimes even go out for dinner, it's not super important to us. We don't do presents or fancy trips or whatever. Not our style.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Meh. Like others, we note it in passing, like birthdays, but buying presents and all that guilt and bullshit is just not our style. I buy her things when I see something I think she'd like, she does the same. We don't do gifts at Christmas, either, because it's pointless at this stage of our lives.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:24 PM

Nope. I am one of the least sentimental people ever (weirdly, my father is possibly the most over-the-top romantic and schmaltzy person I ever met - maybe that's why I had enough of that stuff before I even dated). No idea when our 'anniversary' would be anyway. We don't celebrate any date. We're not married, no plans to be, there isn't a day I remember when we decided to proclaim to the world we were a couple. I know we met in September 2004, but I don't think it became sexual at all until after 2005 was underway, and not really serious for about a year after that.

I don't give a crap about birthdays either, although they are fun for kids. Chaps my ass when adults expect to be treated like excited 5-year-olds on their 'special day'.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 PM

We never celebrated dating anniversaries, so I can't imagine we'll do anything different for anniversaries now that we're married. It hasn't even been two months, and he already gets the date mixed up. No big deal. Two weeks after we got married, I did end up buying him an anniversary card because it reminded me of him (and then showed it to him when I got home) while I was looking for something else, but I don't expect anything from him.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:35 PM

My wife and I both forget our anniversary most years. Once we were in a restaurant with my parents and we got to reminiscing about the funny things that happened on our wedding day and we looked at each other and said "gosh how long has it been...?" and both realized that it was our anniversary that day.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:38 PM

Birthdays? Yes. Wedding anniversaries? No.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:44 PM

I voted "Meh". My gf puts great stock in our anniversary, so I try to do something special to make her happy. For me, it's the little, everyday acts of thoughtfuless that matter most.

When it comes to my own birthday, I take the day off, get a bottle of good hooch, draw the blinds and listen to the blues.

Bri2k
Old 08-03-2011, 09:37 PM

I've been married 10 years and have to look up the exact date of our anniversary every year. I don't know why I can't remember it. We do kind of half celebrate it, though, usually go out to eat somewhere nice, so I voted meh.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Wow, I guess this is just one more way in which Mr. S and I are square pegs. We both happily mark the anniversary of the day we met and our wedding day. Usually just with schmoopy talk and dinner out. Perhaps because neither of us ever believed we would get married in the first place. So it's nice to celebrate.

Sometimes we do cards, but that's about it. This year no cards, but Mr. S surprised me with posies for my home-office desk and some potted irises (my favorite) to plant in the yard. Then we went out for a ridiculously expensive and decadent dinner. 21st anniversary this year.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 PM

Wow I realized that I posted 'anniversaires' in the title. My french is even worse than my english so I don't know why it popped in there. Sorry guys.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:07 AM

While I don't mind going out for a nice meal on special occasions, I don't place a lot of importance on them. For one thing, I have a very hard time remembering dates, and for another, being treated well on a day-to-day basis is much more important to me than pulling out all the stops for one special day.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pai325 View Post
Birthdays? Yes. Wedding anniversaries? No.
Exactly how I feel and felt when I was married. Most years we would forget our anniversary, but we always celebrated birthdays. I threw a great party on his 50th. We are separated now, but I made him a nice dinner on his last birthday and we celebrated together with the kids.

Last edited by scootergirl; 08-04-2011 at 12:17 AM..
Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

I care to the extent that I think it's important... or at least, nice... to say "Happy Anniversary" to each other on the relevant day. We may or may not celebrate it; while I was in school, our wedding anniversary always seemed to fall the day before a midterm exam and I had to study! We might make a nicer-than-usual meal on or about the date, and maybe spend an extra $5 on a bottle of wine or somesuch.

We don't really celebrate birthdays all that much either, because our birthdays are a week apart (and mine is 2 days after our "dating anniversary") and I hate that I-buy-you-something-if-you-buy-me-something feeling that has. So we usually just do one thing for us both around that time.

So, recognition of the date is important, but I don't care if it isn't more than just a nice word to each other.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:46 PM

My wedding anniversary is tomorrow (39 years) so I guess I will go buy a card today. Our birthdays are a day apart, and we go out to dinner once. A couple of years ago my husband put some money in a card for my birthday because he didn't know what to get me, and that made me laugh. We usually agree not to get each other anything.

Last edited by Pai325; 08-04-2011 at 12:47 PM..
Old 08-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Thankfully no, because I have no idea what day we would celebrate.
We were friends long before we were a couple; we met some time in early 1986, but didn't become a couple for about 5 years.
We never had a first date; the closest thing would have been the summer of 1991
We're not married, so there is no wedding anniversary; I suppose we could celebrate the day I moved in with him. 20 years coming up soon.

Last edited by Tastes of Chocolate; 08-04-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 PM

I'm bad with dates and tend to be pretty indifferent to anniversaries, birthdays, and holidays.

I'll make an effort when it's important to someone I care about, and I won't say "No, I'm not celebrating our anniversary!" But if it's all left to me I tend to forget about them.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Pseudolegal

Yes, anniversaries matter to me. I'm big on significant dates of all kinds, and I tend to remember them.

That being said, I don't think it's necessary to make a huge deal out of anniversaries. I enjoy noting them, but I don't think they ought to come with obligation. Still, as someone else said, it's sometimes nice to have an excuse to go out for a nice dinner, if such an excuse is needed.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:27 PM

My wife rarely remembers our anniversary but I am afraid to forget. That might be the year she decides it is important. Like other, I have to count back from my firstborn's age to remember how many years it has been but the date is easy enough.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:40 PM

Anniversaries are important to both my husband and I. This Sunday is our first wedding anniversary and we are going out to dinner to celebrate and possibly going to see a show. In the last 12 months we got married, moved to a new apartment, went to Finland, adopted a puppy, got pregnant, and he found a new job after almost a year of unemployment so we have a lot to celebrate!
Old 08-04-2011, 03:54 PM

We both tend to be the "oh, our anniversary/valentines day/whatever else is in 2 days. Wanna do something?" types. So put me down as a meh.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:57 PM

I celebrate not only our wedding anniversary, but also the day we met. I'm romantic; what can I say? But it's not a huge deal, just a fun thing.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:13 PM

Our anniversary is December 21, which is, as you'll note, quite close to Christmas. I think we exchanged presents for our 10th anniversary, but in general, that's too busy a time of year to do much else to celebrate. I'm not huge on anniversaries, so I'm fine with that. It has been almost 20 years since we first hooked up. I might do a little something to celebrate that.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:17 PM

Yes, I enjoy little cultural traditions like that. Our entire lives don't revolve around them (we were in separate countries on our 1 year wedding anniversary), but yeah, I think they're worth being celebrated in some way.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinor01 View Post
We both tend to be the "oh, our anniversary/valentines day/whatever else is in 2 days. Wanna do something?" types. So put me down as a meh.
I usually am like, "OH CRAP! That was TODAY? oops.." And that's usually after everything's closed. It's not that I'm selfish I just don't think of these as important.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:33 PM

Meh. It's nice and all but it's not mandatory we do something on our anniversary no matter what.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

I always remember my anniversary. I met my wife on that date, I proposed on that date, we got married on that date. And it's the day after a major date in US history that everybody talks about every year. I'm no dummy. (Well, I am, but not about remembering my anniversary.)
Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 PM

Yes. Marking Important Dates is what we hang our memories on. Like beaver's dams interrupting the constant stream (of time.)
Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 AM

They're important to me. My parents were unhappily married for decades. I use my anniversary (and the few weeks before it) to do almost a yearly mental 'health check' on my marriage, just to confirm that I'm still happy and it's still heading in the right direction. DH originally felt like I wasn't in it for the long haul with that attitude, but now understands that I am, I just don't want to be unhappy for the long haul. We have occasionally joked about the "yearly renewal" being due.
And of course, it's almost guaranteed I'll get laid that day, so what's not to like?

Birthdays - not really fussed at all about. They have little meaning to me. But our anniversary, yes, it's important to me.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooje View Post
I'm all for celebrating stuff, but why it needs to be on that particular day, and not the day before or after or a month after....it baffles me.
Sorry, but if you care enough about something why don't you care enough to do it on the day? Some years ago I had plans to go to England to take part in a 100th birthday celebration, but when I heard that the organisers planned to do it on the weekend, two days after the actual day, because it suited people better I decided to stay at home.You don't celebrate something just to please yourself, you do it to honour the person whose birthday it was (although he had been dead since 1942).

The fact that I organised my own birthday celebration on the wrong day last year has got nothing to do with it. It was my own decision and it coincided with something else (and if it hadn't I wouldn't have celebrated it at all).
Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Sorry, but if you care enough about something why don't you care enough to do it on the day?
I am up for celebrating anything (including anniversaries), but I don't get this. If I can celebrate a birthday, with my entire family by doing it on a weekend instead of celebrating alone on a weekday, why not? We live too far away for weekday travel time to be possible without taking time off work, and weekends are generally convenient for everyone. Enjoying the occasion and spending time together is way more important than hitting a certain day.

Quote:
You don't celebrate something just to please yourself, you do it to honour the person whose birthday it was (although he had been dead since 1942).

Why celebrate anything, other than for the people involved to enjoy themselves? Obviously, if the person whose occasion it is cares about the date, then they should be accommodated, but the guy was dead, what did he care?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Elephant Whisperer

We do a monthly anniversary. Up into the multiple 100s now.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:26 AM

Meh. I tend to forget birthdays and anniversaries. I also tend to buy my friends/relatives/SO gifts when I see something OI know they would like. So I get looked at funny when I miss my gf's birthday, even though I bought her what woulda been the perfect BD gift six weeks prior.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

[Mod mod]Changed "anniversaires" to "anniversaries" in title.[/Mod mod]
Old 08-08-2011, 10:29 AM

We note our anniversary only because it gives us an excuse to get a babysitter and go out for a nice meal. There are a lot of good restaurants around here that we want to go to as a couple, rather than as a family (yes, we bring our kids to restaurants; yes, they're well behaved; but no, we don't bring them to places where children would be inappropriate), so we make a date of it. But we don't exchange gifts or even cards. In fact, today is our anniversary so last night we went to a great restaurant, saw a movie, went home and I allowed her to seduce me, and then she fell asleep on the couch while I watched Holmes on Homes.

We don't really make a big deal out of birthdays or Valentine's Day either. I knew she was the one for me when we were dating- she'd travel to see me a couple weekends a month, and one of her visits coincided with V-Day. I asked what she'd like to do when she came that weekend and she replied, "how about we order a pizza, crack a couple beers, rent a movie and have sex?"

The perfect woman.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihaga View Post
I am up for celebrating anything (including anniversaries), but I don't get this. If I can celebrate a birthday, with my entire family by doing it on a weekend instead of celebrating alone on a weekday, why not? We live too far away for weekday travel time to be possible without taking time off work, and weekends are generally convenient for everyone. Enjoying the occasion and spending time together is way more important than hitting a certain day.
Assuming you're from the USA: On what date do you celebrate the anniversary of the declaration of independence?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Assuming you're from the USA: On what date do you celebrate the anniversary of the declaration of independence?
On the fourth usually, if we're going to an event. I think this year the family did fireworks and a picnic on the 3rd instead of the 4th, but I wasn't able to go.