Can gorillas jump?

The ads for The Rise of the Planet of the Apes feature a gorilla jumping from a bridge deck onto a helicopter flying next to the bridge. Watching that, it occurred to me that I don’t think I’ve ever seen a gorilla jump at all. The only time I’ve seen one with both feet off the ground was when it was swinging on something.

Do gorillas ever jump? If not, is it just because they don’t need to (being ground-dwelling), or are they somehow incapable of it?

Based on no knowledge at all, I think gorillas have similar muscle attachments to chimps, and chimps can do backflips. So I would think gorillas can jump; they just don’t have to. And of course their great weight would limit the jump height.

And aren’t the apes in that movie chimps?

I’ve seen a gorilla jump from a platfrom to a firehose and then swing to another platform.

Some, but not the white ones.

Casey in St. Paul
Little Joe in Boston

Mostly, but there’s a small contingent of gorillas and orangutans as well.

Yeah, I think if you peeved one off enough it would find a way, but I’d be more worried about what it’ll do to you if it did jump, rather than wether it can. (always take the safe route, if one’s mad at you, assume it can jump) :smiley:

A vet I know has said the he is the most hated person in the zoo where he works.

I can tell you from personal experience volunteering at the zoo that gorillas can indeed jump. And that the asshole gorilla can wait until you’re least expecting it and then leap at the (very heavy gauge) wire door separating you from him screaming at the top of his lungs to scare you. (It will.)