The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 08-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Audible.com 3-for-2 sale Need recommendations fast!

This sale ends on the 16th, but they have a certain selection of books that you can get three books for two credits. Here is the special collection:

http://www.audible.com/sp/3for2

I need to know which of these are good. Recommendations? No Romance, please.
Advertisements  
Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 AM

The Sharing Knife books by Lois McMaster Bujold are an excellent set of books.

The central relationship of the book is a romance, but there's plenty of action, with family tensions, as well. There is a fourth book in the series, but each volume does very well for being a self-contained story.

I can't speak for the audiobook version, though.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

They have the first three Dexter books, if you like sort-of-good-guy serial killer fiction.

I'm trying out the Stainless Steel Rat science fiction series from that same sale.

They also have the first few Dresden Files books, which our own illustrious Cecil Adams described as "Harry Potter for adults, or Sam Spade meets The Lord of the Rings." I found them enjoyable.

What kind of books do you like?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

I've watched the show Dexter--is it the same? I've already got all the Dresden Files. I like sci-fi, fantasy, mystery, urban fantasy, autobiographies, historical fiction... lots of things, really. I don't like romance or westerns.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

The books are quite similar, at least for a while; the first season is very close to the first book. After that it diverges. The books are significantly darker and feature a significantly less likeable Dexter, who really does want to hurt innocent people but who keeps himself in check, and who feels nothing at all for his girlfriend/wife but does feel somewhat mentor-ish towards her children. A couple of not-really-spoilers-but-I'll-hide-them-anyway-just-in-case regarding the second and third books:

SPOILER:
  • Book two's Big Bad is one of the more horrifying villains I've come across in fiction, similar to Allen in Spider Robinson's Very Bad Deaths. If you're at all squeamish, it may be too much.
  • Book three suddenly takes a left turn out of nowhere and the series becomes at least somewhat supernatural, or at least supernatural-ish.

I just recently read the Dream Park series by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes; they were really cool, a neat blend of fantasy and sci-fi where the players are playing a real-life D&D game (hence the fantasy) in a park full of hologram emitters and customizable stages and actors and whatnot that makes the game real (hence the sci-fi). And each one has a murder mystery thrown in, surrounding the game and raising the stakes. Anyway, All three current Dream Park books are available in the 3 for 2 sale; a fourth one comes out next Tuesday, I believe.

(As an aside, I tried to read Dream Park in 9th grade and didn't understand what was going on at all. Thanks to reading The Order of the Stick and Goblins and other D&D-themed webcomics, however, I now have a much better understanding of role-playing games in general, and when I picked the Dream Park series up again a few months back, I realized that now I found it fascinating.)

I've heard good things about the Stainless Steel Rat series, so I'm trying the first book out. The other two books I got with that one are the 2nd and 3rd books in Charles Stross's "Laundry Files" series, about a hapless British hacker who was caught goofing around with some kind of Lovecraftian algorithm that would have caused major chaos, so he was arrested and now works for an agency of the British government that protects the public from dangerous threats that people fooling in the occult can cause. I quite enjoyed The Atrocity Archives, the first book in the series.