Is "Life of Brian" based on a true story?

Some scenes looked quite authentic :dubious:

It is basically a spoof of the life and times of Graham Chapman.

Actually, only the alien abduction scene was based on historical sources.

As I recall, when the group first decided to make a satire on the subject, they planned on making it more directly about Jesus. But when they looked at the things that Jesus had personally said and done, they realized he was a poor subject for satire. Pretty much everything Jesus did was simple and to the point and made sense.

So they pulled back a little bit and looked at the people around Jesus. These people had taken Jesus’ simple message and completely screwed it up. So they were a ripe target for satire.

John Cleese, surely? After all, where two or three are gathered together in his name, they shall repeat the Parrot Sketch!

I believe the originating joke was Eric Idle suggesting a film called “Jesus Christ: Lust for Glory”. The rest followed as described.

I don’t know what the OP means by the film looking authentic. It was filmed in Tunisia, if anyone’s wondering.

They reused some of the sets from Jesus of Nazareth.

And they based much of the dialog on surviving records of the meetings of the Peoples’ Front of Judea, preserved in triplicate and subject to revision by a 2/3rds majority after a proposal forwarded by a simple majority in the Historical Revisions committee.

Yes it is based on a true story. The Romans did occupy Judea. They were definatly unpopular as they had brought nothing but better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order to Judea. And they did crucify people.
I am unsure if there was a Biggus Dickus.

I’m a card carrying member of the People’s Front of Judea.

Splitter!

Romanes eunt domus!

‘People called Romanes they go the house’?

Could a mod lock this thread? It’s gotten too silly.

The question was ment to be silly, however, some answers make sense and I got a good laugh out of the other answers.
Please don’t close this tread!

If it isn’t done by sunrise, I’ll cut your balls off.

If it is done by sunrise, I’ll cut your balls off.

Did you actually watch this movie, TonKa?

No, my mom won’t let me…

Nnnooooooooo! It’s the Judean People’s Front that is the true inheritor of the mantle of the, er… Judean people.