The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 08-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Texting hours etiquette.

Early this morning (5am) I was out walking the dogs and saw that there is a show tonight that I wanted to go see. Since it's a last minute event, I thought I should text my friends as soon as possible to see if they were interested. Well, it's 5am.

Which got me thinking, should texting follow calling hours (the standard 9am-9pm) or can we text anytime?
Advertisements  
Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpauler View Post
Early this morning (5am) I was out walking the dogs and saw that there is a show tonight that I wanted to go see. Since it's a last minute event, I thought I should text my friends as soon as possible to see if they were interested. Well, it's 5am.

Which got me thinking, should texting follow calling hours (the standard 9am-9pm) or can we text anytime?
Calling hours. Mobiles beep when they receive texts. You probably woke someone up and they now love you.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 AM

Text anytime. If someone's phone beeping once disturbs their sleep that much, they should silence their phone while they sleep.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanset View Post
Mobiles beep when they receive texts. You probably woke someone up and they now love you.
Wouldn't someone who didn't want to hear a beep during a given span (sleeping, or otherwise) turn off that notification, or the phone itself?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:40 AM

Anytime.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark240 View Post
Wouldn't someone who didn't want to hear a beep during a given span (sleeping, or otherwise) turn off that notification, or the phone itself?
I use my phone as an alarm and I am often on call and need to answer emergency calls during the night.

Please don't text me in the middle of the night unless it's urgent.

what I do for my kids (who have radically different sleep schedules than I do) is compose the text when I'm thinking of it and at a more approriate time just hit send.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silophant View Post
Text anytime. If someone's phone beeping once disturbs their sleep that much, they should silence their phone while they sleep.

A lot of people keep their cells nearby for emergencies, and silencing them makes them pointless for this purpose. This does not mean they want to read about how drunk you are at 4 am.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 AM

If you wouldn't call them at the same time, then you shouldn't text them. Calling and texting both make noise.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlitherial View Post
I use my phone as an alarm and I am often on call and need to answer emergency calls during the night.
Fine, but that doesn't mean you need audible notification of text messages.

Quote:
Please don't text me in the middle of the night unless it's urgent.
If it's urgent, I'm not going to waste time with a text message. I'm going to make a telephone call.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Okay I'll grant you that and if it was a real problem in my life I would probably take the time to change adjust the notification of text messages before bed and upon waking.

Cell programming opportunity! Time of day profiles for alert settings. Someone get on that please.

In reality I've only had one text message wake me in the last couple years and my husband is still paying for it 2 weeks later. Drunk text ME from your conference will you!

Last edited by Moonlitherial; 08-17-2011 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Bad edit, bad! close the quote.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I seriously am baffled that you think every single person you may ever text should change the settings on their phone every single night before they go to bed rather than you just refraining from rudely texting them in the middle of the night.

Could you explain the exact logic behind this?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Almost everyone has audible notifications for text messages on all the time. Just because you may not, doesn't mean you shouldn't expect them to.

Everyone could turn off their landline phones at night, but no one does. Would you call them at night because they could have turned them off if they wanted to?

Even ignoring the above, keeping phone calls on, but text messages on is not necessarily easy on all phones.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihaga View Post
I seriously am baffled that you think every single person you may ever text should change the settings on their phone every single night before they go to bed rather than you just refraining from rudely texting them in the middle of the night.

Could you explain the exact logic behind this?
I'm actually a little baffled that people don't already do this. I sleep with my phone on the night stand, and like Moonlitherial I use it as an alarm and sometimes have to take calls from work. But I long ago got into the habit of turning off all of the extraneous notifications, like text alerts and appointment reminders (that often go off at midnight on the day of an all-day event).

I vote for sending anytime, because even if the notification isn't silenced, I can't imagine that a quick beep is enough to wake most people up.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallan View Post
I'm actually a little baffled that people don't already do this. I sleep with my phone on the night stand, and like Moonlitherial I use it as an alarm and sometimes have to take calls from work. But I long ago got into the habit of turning off all of the extraneous notifications, like text alerts and appointment reminders (that often go off at midnight on the day of an all-day event).

I vote for sending anytime, because even if the notification isn't silenced, I can't imagine that a quick beep is enough to wake most people up.
I second this, almost. My phone (a Blackberry) goes into "Bedside Mode" by default when you plug it in to a charger. Since I plug it in just before I go to bed and unplug it when I wake up, this works dandy. I have tweaked the Bedside Mode alerts so that I get a ring if it's a phone call, an audible wake-up alarm, but no alert at all for anything else, as even a vibration will generally wake me up when it rattles on the nightstand and I don't want to be woken for emails and tetxs. When it's in non-Bedside Mode (unplugged), I have different patterns of vibrations for calls, texts, and emails.

But, I know that many of the folks I communicate with don't do this. So, even though to me a text is more like an email and can wait till morning, I don't assume the person on the other end views it that way. So, I text during calling hours.

ETA: a quick beep will wake me up, but I am a pretty light sleeper.

Last edited by Bayard; 08-17-2011 at 10:22 AM..
Old 08-17-2011, 10:22 AM

I hate getting texts in the middle of the night or early morning. I don't usually silence my phone in case someone needs to call with an emergency and being woken up by a text chime is pretty obnoxious and startling.

It's not like they're going to wake up at 5am and run to buy tickets to the event, right? Why not just wait a few hours?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:25 AM

I would text anytime. I try not to worry about stuff like that.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:27 AM

Text anytime. If you don't want to hear text alerts, turn then off. It's trivial to have separate phone profiles for day and night, just as you would for different work or social situations.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:

I don't already do it because I don't interact with anyone who's going to text me for something stupid in the middle of the night.

Shall I also unplug my land line and muffle my door knocker every night before I go to bed?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steophan View Post
Text anytime. If you don't want to hear text alerts, turn then off. It's trivial to have separate phone profiles for day and night, just as you would for different work or social situations.
It's only trivial if you have a relatively sophisticated phone. I could change text notifications on my dumb-as-rocks-phone, but I'd have to dig through lots of menus and change several settings every time. Of course, it's not a problem for me usually. I can recall only one time when I was woken by a text message late at night.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 AM

I am in near jaw-dropping disbelief at the number of posters who think it is ok to text any time!

Incredibly rude, is how I view it. Why should it be incumbent upon the target of your trivial drunk text to change their phone settings? Why can you not refrain from sending a text at midnight? If it's stupid enough that it doesn't rate a phone call, why can't you wait until tomorrow? The other person should pay for your impulsiveness by losing sleep?

I can't believe I'm getting so worked up about something like this, but man...kids today. And that's all I can say without getting a visit from a Mod.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:40 AM

The idea that people who don't want to be texted in the middle of the night should take the responsibility of changing their phone settings to accommodate people who feel entitled to instant access to everyone at all times reminds me of the famous thread where the telemarketer proposed that people who don't want to be bothered by sales calls should just get rid of their phone.

My phone serves me, not you, so I expect you to be aware of things like common courtesy.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
And I am surprised both that controlling one's own electronic device settings is perceived to be a great burden, and that transmitting written communications at certain times is perceived as rude. Do you care when people send you an e-mail?

Look, there's a natural difference between speaking and writing, and exploiting this difference is the precise reason that text messaging on cell phones has value.

Spoken communication naturally exists in a shared moment, actively reciprocal. Spoken conversation does not happen if one person isn't listening when the other is speaking. A telephone call is thus, inherently, a demand for immediate attention. (Voice mail, like any sound recording, loses the distinct qualities of shared moment and reciprocality; though audible, it is functionally more like writing.) Of course nobody shuts off their telephone ringer at night; if somebody has to call you at night, it's important and you want to be awakened.

Written communications are not in a shared moment. I compose my piece first, then transmit it, then you read it. It doesn't necessarily make a difference if you read it immediately; the message is still conveyed if you read it ten minutes, or two hours, later. An e-mail or a text does not inherently demand attention the way that someone speaking to you, or calling you on the phone, does.

If you're using text messaging as simply a kind of non-audible telephone calling--reading every text right away, expecting yours to be read right away, conducting awkward extended conversations by texts back and forth--you're basically depriving yourself of the point of having two different means of communication enabled on the same device; you're using them the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolga View Post
The idea that people who don't want to be texted in the middle of the night should take the responsibility of changing their phone settings to accommodate people who feel entitled to instant access to everyone at all times...
See, there it is. Sending you a text message is not feeling "entitled to instant access." It is the opposite; a text message allows you to choose when you give it attention.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qubed View Post
Almost everyone has audible notifications for text messages on all the time.
Uh, no.

My phone is on vibrate almost 100% of the time. It won't wake me up. I'm not so self-important as to think there's anything I need to be available to attend to at 3 AM. I'm also sort of shocked by how many people don't already turn their phones off at night. What kind of emergency are you expecting anyway?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM

My 17 year old son and I just had this discussion, and I now stop and think before texting.

Of course, the text that woke him and got him pissy was sent 11:30 am on Sunday.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Resident Archangel
Charter Member

I think they're an anytime thing. However, I probably wouldn't send them much out of calling hours anyway, because I know that other people don't share my opinion. It'd depend somewhat on the person, too; I have one friend who I know sleeps lightly and leaves text notifications on. I wouldn't text him in the middle of the night unless it was an emergency.

Conversely, I'll sleep through small noises. And, honestly, after seven years in a job where my phone needed to be silent during working hours, the ringer is seldom on anyway (much to the consternation of those who want to call me, but, honestly, anyone who knows me knows that Skype or IM is a much safer bet). Text me anytime. I'll get to it when I'm awake.

Last edited by Angel of the Lord; 08-17-2011 at 11:03 AM..

Quote:
If you're using text messaging as simply a kind of non-audible telephone calling--reading every text right away, expecting yours to be read right away, conducting awkward extended conversations by texts back and forth--you're basically depriving yourself of the point of having two different means of communication enabled on the same device; you're using them the same way.
I use texts differently than phones or emails. For long, non-urgent communication, it's usually email, for communication that requires a detailed back-and-forth exchange, I call, and for quick one-off questions that don't necessitate a conversation but for which I need an expedient answer, I text. If it's not at all time-sensitive, I just send an email instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
What kind of emergency are you expecting anyway?
I agree. Among grown-ups who work days, unexpected texts between 1:00am and 6:00am should generally involve death or dying.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:10 AM

I put my phone on silent every night. I often get email in the middle of the night from various companies I've done business with; sales, special offers, etc. Am I the only one?
I use an alarm clock, not my phone to wake me. I do see where it would be a PITA if I needed to keep my phone on to receive emergency/work calls.
I don't think the text==phone call comparison is a accurate. Receiving a phone call requires action on your part, a text does not.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qubed View Post
Even ignoring the above, keeping phone calls on, but text messages on is not necessarily easy on all phones.
Yeah, I can't choose on my phone.

I vote wait. There's a chance you'll forget, but it's not justification for inconveniencing someone.

My daughter used to text me early in the morning, before she went to work. When she's at work, she can't text or call. She thought I'd have my phone turned off until I got up. When I told her I leave it on all the time, she stopped.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I use texts differently than phones or emails. For long, non-urgent communication, it's usually email, for communication that requires a detailed back-and-forth exchange, I call, and for quick one-off questions that don't necessitate a conversation but for which I need an expedient answer, I text. If it's not at all time-sensitive, I just send an email instead.
So do you turn off email notifications at night? Or do you expect everyone who has your email address to not email you when you're asleep? Do you feel comfortable sending an email at 1:00 am or are all forms of communication forbidden between midnight and 6:00 am?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
So do you turn off email notifications at night? Or do you expect everyone who has your email address to not email you when you're asleep? Do you feel comfortable sending an email at 1:00 am or are all forms of communication forbidden between midnight and 6:00 am?

I'm not emailing anyone in the middle of the night anyway, and my phone's default settings have never made a sound for emails. The default settings do, however, make a sound for texts... fascinating, that.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Apples and oranges. Email doesn't go to the recipient's phone by default. Text messages do.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
I am in near jaw-dropping disbelief at the number of posters who think it is ok to text any time!

Incredibly rude, is how I view it. Why should it be incumbent upon the target of your trivial drunk text to change their phone settings? Why can you not refrain from sending a text at midnight? If it's stupid enough that it doesn't rate a phone call, why can't you wait until tomorrow? The other person should pay for your impulsiveness by losing sleep?

I can't believe I'm getting so worked up about something like this, but man...kids today. And that's all I can say without getting a visit from a Mod.
Almost everyone I would text would be awake at midnight, so that's not an issue. But more to the point, a text isn't necessarily stupid, just non-urgent. Most of the time, an immediate response to a text isn't necessary. The point is, you have the choice whether or not to be notified of a message at any given time. Hell, on modern phones you can set different notifications for different people, so would only be woken at 2am by someone you wanted to hear from.

Honestly, to complain that you are woken by a sound from your phone because you didn't change the setting is no less ridiculous than complaining that you were woken by your alarm clock at 5am on saturday because you left it on. It's your device, you need to set it to work how you want it.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:31 AM

Free yourself from default settings! Own your devices!
Old 08-17-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Honestly, to complain that you are woken by a sound from your phone because you didn't change the setting is no less ridiculous than complaining that you were woken by your alarm clock at 5am on saturday because you left it on. It's your device, you need to set it to work how you want it.
So I *should* unplug my land line at night so people can feel free to call me whenever they want?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:45 AM

Texting hours are somewhat more relaxed than phone hours, but not a free-for-all because for most people they do make noise and it's rude to do something you have a reasonable expectation will make noise when you have a reasonable expectation someone will be asleep. The exact hours in question depend on the person in question and what sort of schedule they keep.

And tbth, middle-of-the-night texts are just dumb. If it's urgent and you need an answer now, call and be sure the person in question gets the message. If it's not urgent, it could wait equally well until morning to call, text or email. And if you'll have forgotten by then...well, it can't have been all that important and share-worthy, could it?

Rigamarole, in my case the emergency I'm expecting is for my dad or grandpa to have a fatal heart attack or stroke--they're both vascular accidents waiting to happen. And if my Mom calls me from the ER, it'll be on her cell and the first of my numbers programmed into her cell phone is...wait for it...my cell. And when I was working at the vet clinic, gods only knew what kind of emergency you were likely to have turn up in the wee hours. Hit by cars, c-sections, bloats, popped-out eyeballs, I've gotten calls to come help with all of them after midnight.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:46 AM

I'm not changing the settings on my phone every night and morning. I shouldn't have to and it's not going to happen. If somebody texts me at odd hours of the night I'll ask them to stop. This should solve the problem because I try not to give my number to total assholes. Note that I'm not saying anybody who sends me a late night/early morning text is an asshole but I think somebody who keeps doing it, even after being asked not to, is.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
So I *should* unplug my land line at night so people can feel free to call me whenever they want?
No, because there is a different expectation there. If a land line phone rings at stupid o'clock, people assume it's an emergency, and abusing that is not a good thing to do. However, most people (in my experience) don't treat texting that way. I assume this is mainly because one can choose when and if you receive text notifications. The big difference is that if you miss a phone call, it's missed, but if you miss a text it's still there.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBee View Post
Apples and oranges. Email doesn't go to the recipient's phone by default. Text messages do.
It's been probably nine years since I've had a phone that didn't receive email and give a notification, and probably four years since I've had a phone that didn't immediately prompt me to set up an email account straight out of the box.

But this has me curious. I'd be interested in finding out the usage habits of the people who think it's rude. If you think it's rude to send a text at 1:00 am, do you own a smartphone? Do you use your phone for email, IM, appointment reminders, or anything other than talk and text? Does your phone frequently and regularly give you notifications throughout the day and night? Or is it mostly silent except when you're receiving calls and texts?

I know for me personally, my phone is alerting me of something probably every 15-30 minutes, 24-hours a day. I get an alert when a trouble ticket comes in, or even when a friend or co-worker logs into IM. So even if I didn't get any texts at all between midnight and 6:00 am, my phone would still be making plenty of noise all night long if I didn't turn sounds off. So it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if a friend's late-night text was added to the mix. And since most of my friends are like me, they wouldn't mind either.

Last edited by gallan; 08-17-2011 at 11:55 AM..
Old 08-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Text whenever you want. I don't keep my cell phone in the bedroom, but will hear the ringer if the phone rings. I won't hear the text beep, so it won't wake me up. Anyone who would call me with a true emergency knows the landline number anyways, and I use an alarm clock to wake up (or the hungry cats!)
Old 08-17-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
But this has me curious. I'd be interested in finding out the usage habits of the people who think it's rude. If you think it's rude to send a text at 1:00 am, do you own a smartphone? Do you use your phone for email, IM, appointment reminders, or anything other than talk and text? Does your phone frequently and regularly give you notifications throughout the day and night? Or is it mostly silent except when you're receiving calls and texts?

Yes, I own a smartphone. Yes, I use it for email, Gtalk, Yahoo instant messenger (occasionally), and appointment reminders. It gives me audible notifications for texts and calls and for gtalk if the phone is on. It is, however, mostly silent unless I'm getting calls or texts, unless I have an alarm set or something.

I think this is going to end up being more a function of age and hanging out with people that keep more-or-less normal hours than of smartphone usage.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:21 PM

Slight Hijack:

Quote:
[snip]...Cell programming opportunity! Time of day profiles for alert settings. Someone get on that please...[snip]
While not true of all phones, I am fairly certain that my last phone (mytouch slide) could do this. I could pick a time for the profile to go to silent/vibrate only, which was at work (8-3:30 m-f), pick a time where it would be silent for notifications (email/text) but ring, which was at night (11:00pm-6:00am, m-f), and when it would be normal (all other times). I don't think I used this very long, as I dropped it in water and ended up with a different phone, but I am fairly certain the technology (software wise) exists and is used on some phones...

Brendon Small
Old 08-17-2011, 01:08 PM

Isn't at least part of purpose of the text message is that I can contact someone when it's convenient for me to do so and they can read/respond when it's convenient for them to do so?

With a phone call, it has to be when I'm available to make the call and they are available to receive the call at the same time - otherwise I'm just leaving a message.

What's the point of a text message then?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyjeff View Post
What's the point of a text message then?
If you avoid sending texts in the middle of the night that still leaves you with the majority of the day to use text messages in the way you describe.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:12 PM

As far as receiving texts while I'm asleep goes, I'm a fairly sound sleeper, and the beep my phone makes when it's set to ring usually isn't enough to wake me up. If it did, and some nights when I'm having trouble sleeping it does, I set my phone to silent. As far as sending texts goes, it's like several people have said so far: it's your phone, it's your responsibility to silence it when you don't want it waking you up. There are people who have specifically asked me to not text them late at night, and I abide by those requests, but it's not my default behavior.

I appreciate that, on dumbphones, it may be non-trivial to have calls ring and texts silenced, but I've never seen a phone that didn't have "Alarm only" as a default sound profile.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

My default settings are vibrate for everything except phone calls and set alarms [not schedule calendar stuff] so it wouldn't wake me up.

Of course my alarm clock is the general quarters alarm from a 688 sub =) Guarenteed to blast mrAru out of bed if he is still around when it goes off =)Have to love military conditioning
Old 08-17-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Almost everyone I would text would be awake at midnight, so that's not an issue. But more to the point, a text isn't necessarily stupid, just non-urgent. Most of the time, an immediate response to a text isn't necessary. The point is, you have the choice whether or not to be notified of a message at any given time. Hell, on modern phones you can set different notifications for different people, so would only be woken at 2am by someone you wanted to hear from.

Really. Really? You think those are the same?? If I fail to shut of my alarm clock, it's on me. There's not some rude person on the other end of my alarm clock making it beep because they just couldn't wait to make it beep tomorrow.

Yeah, I might have the capability to go into my settings and figure out exactly when and how my phone should handle just about anything. But I shouldn't have to do that, because I like to think that people KNOW better.

Honestly, to say that it's my fault because I have the capability and therefore should, is no less ridiculous than saying that because you have the capability you should shove a bleach bottle up your ass.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:20 PM

I'm a nurse and many of my friends are nurses. About half of us work 7a - 7p, and about half of us work 7p - 7a, and several switch back and forth between the two. I long ago got over getting pissed about the random 3a or 3p text message that came while I was trying to sleep.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
What kind of emergency are you expecting anyway?
Not me personally, but my mum - She's waiting for the notification from the hospital that my stepdad's liver has become available, and that they need to get to the hospital RIGHT NOW.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:52 PM

Am I the only person on the planet who turns her phone OFF before going to sleep? Huh.

But then I also have it set for no sound notifications at all. If I want to know if I have a call or email or text I just pull the phone out of my bag and look at it.

Last edited by moejoe; 08-17-2011 at 09:52 PM..