Removing *all* duplicate rows in Excel

I know how to use the remove duplicates feature in Excel 2010. That is not what I need to do. The remove duplicates feature removes the second and all subsequent duplicate entries. I want to remove *all *of the duplicate rows, including the first duplicated row, leaving *only *rows that did not have any duplicates at all.

Any ideas?

Let’s say you have your data in column A. In a new column (perhaps B), use the formula:

=IF(COUNTIF(A:A,A1) > 1,"",A1)

Fill down throughout column B. Then column B will only show unique entries.

(With the implication being you can then use the unique values to make further modifications, perhaps copying only those rows to a new spreadsheet minus the duplicates, etc.)

You can use the conditional formatting feature to highlight all duplicate rows, then filter by cell color from the right click menu, then delete rows from the right click menu:

1. Select all items
  2. Conditional Formatting -> Highlight cell rules -> Duplicate Values -> OK
  3. Right click in selection -> Filter -> Filter by selected cell’s color
  4. Right click in selection -> Delete Row -> OK

This works much better :slight_smile:

How can i do this in vba without manually deleting all duplicate rows. Every example i have found so far only deletes the duplicates not the original as well. Thanks

Simply have VBA do one of the two methods provided above

Easiest would be to turn on macro recording, then follow the steps in JWT Kottekoe’s post. Voila, you have VBA.