The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:00 PM
BANNED

My wife thinks that I am cheating on her, but I am not!

I don't know what to do. I really don't blame her as to why she belives why I am cheating. It all began a few months ago. My son and I were at the gas station by my house. There was a used condom by the gas pump and I ignored it because is was disgusting. Well, my son stepped on it and it got stuck on his shoe and brought it into my truck. I didn't see the condom in my truck so I wasn't worried. Two weeks later, my wife and I were going to the store and she saw it. She confronted me and was rightfully angry. I explained it to her and she backed off. Then a month later, I was taking some old clothes to the Goodwill Box. My neighbor who is a young attractive woman asked me to take a bad for her, so I did. The plastic bag with my neigbor's old clothes had a hole and a pair of her panties and a blouse fell out in my back seat. Of course a week later, my wife was putting groceries in the back seat of my truck and she found the panties and blouse. Again she confronted me and this time she was really mad! I thought she was going to leave me. I explained to her what had happened and she was still uneasy. It gets better. Not 1, not 2, but 3 women have called my cell phone while I am with my wife. I have know idea who these women are, but they keep on calling my cellphone and hang up when my wife answers my phone. My wife has also called there women back, but they don't answer their phones. I talked to one of them and told them that they had the wrong number, but she continued to call. My wife is really suspious now and doesn't believe that all of these things are just a coincidences.

Today my wife, got online to look up all the signs of a cheating husband and of course I fit the profile! Because of some of my slight changes in behavior. I joined a gym about three months ago and I have lost a lot of weight so I had to buy some new clothes. Everyone knows that the clothes for thin people is alway nicer than clothes for fat people, so I changed the way I dressed. I have also been taking out cash instead of paying with my debit card because my card doesn't always work and it is embarrassing getting denied at the checkout counter. Because of all of these things my wife now thinks I am cheating on her and is currently not talking to me. I don't know what to do.

I have given her access to all my email accounts, my cellphone and everything I could think of and she still does not trust me. She has always been a little Jealous, but now she is out of control. I can have any female friends now, soon I won't be able to leave the house.
Advertisements  
Old 08-22-2011, 05:52 PM

She is being totally unreasonable. You don't sound like you're cheating at all--I mean, I'm totally convinced. I myself have not noticed the occasional used condom or stray bra in my car. Sometimes I'll even get off work late and instead of driving home tired, which is dangerous, I'll rent a motel room for the night. And of course my paranoid wife will jump to all these crazy conclusions. She just needs to chill out, right?

I don't know how many times I've had to talk my wife out of Jealous crazy-ville. I mean, just because I take a business trip and she notices a line item on my credit card bill from a local restaurant from some idiot waiter that swiped my card number a while back and decided to have a free dinner doesn't mean I'm cheating. And I delete my browser history every day because it's good for the computer. She, should thank me for that, but know, I only get lip. And don't even get me started about the phone thing--of course I leave the room when I get calls so I can talk privately. I don't want to bud her! We're just misunderstood, is all, and having people get suspious just makes me angry, because I am not doing anything wrong! I can do my job without taking my business trips, so their is no reason to get upset at me. I have many lady friends, and my wife will just have to learn to deal with her.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Man View Post
I don't know what to do. <snip> I can have any female friends now, soon I won't be able to leave the house.
You signed up to snark on a zombie?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Moderating

I split these three posts from this thread, which was started last June.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:32 PM

I recommend you stop cheating on your wife.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Once is an innocent accident. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is dubious. By my count, you're at six.

Tell your son to wipe his feet. Have your young, attractive neighbor take her own clothes to Goodwill. Go to the bank, tell them your debit card is worn out and get one that works. Ask your wife to help you shop for new clothes. Get call-blocking for your cellphone and put those strange women on the list.

You might even consider stopping cheating on your wife and seeing a marriage counselor.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 PM

So, you're trying to get us to create a plausible story to cover the evidence that you're cheating on your wife?

Obviously you are. You know we know that. I'm not sure what you are looking for here?

Or you're actually the wife. In which case you're right - he's cheating on you.

Last edited by Candyman74; 08-23-2011 at 09:11 PM..
Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman74 View Post
So, you're trying to get us to create a plausible story to cover the evidence that you're cheating on your wife?

Obviously you are. You know we know that. I'm not sure what you are looking for here?

Or you're actually the wife. In which case you're right - he's cheating on you.
I think he might be trying something else, actually: He's a cheating husband and, like he said, he's encouraged his wife to look at his internet history. He hopes she'll see this thread where he insists his innocence to strangers (and why would he lie to a bunch of strangers, right?) and begs them to help him convince her that he's not cheating and that on its own will be convincing.

Last edited by AClockworkMelon; 08-23-2011 at 09:18 PM..
Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Once is an innocent accident. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is dubious. By my count, you're at six.
So this is a rejected sitcom script or something.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know what to do. I really don't blame her as to why she belives why I am cheating. It all began a few months ago. My son and I were at the gas station by my house. There was a used condom by the gas pump and I ignored it because is was disgusting. Well, my son stepped on it and it got stuck on his shoe and brought it into my truck. I didn't see the condom in my truck so I wasn't worried. Two weeks later, my wife and I were going to the store and she saw it. She confronted me and was rightfully angry.
Sorry, I got about this far, and my B.S. meter is going off.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is Enemy Action."
-- Auric Goldfinger

I don't get the impression this poster is serious anyway.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
I don't get the impression this poster is serious anyway.
Yeah, getting the rest of the way through the OP and the thread, it's gotta be a parody post of the original thread this was split off from.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:34 AM

What the hell, Good Man, you are doing this all wrong. There are books on how to cheat without getting caught, and there is common sense. Common sense would tell you to get the used condoms out of the car, get the woman's clothing out of the car, and give your lady friends a cell number that isn't going to ring when your wife's around, if you give them any number at all.

I have no idea what the books say, beyond the 50-mile rule. I'm sure you can figure out the 50-mile rule without my spelling it out. For your particular problem I would recommend skimming it at the bookstore as otherwise your wife will be sure to find it.

On the other hand, from your behavior, sounds like you WANT your wife to find the evidence.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have know idea who these women are, but they keep on calling my cellphone and hang up when my wife answers my phone.
This is the part where I gave up. This just doesn't happen outside of romantic comedies. Sorry.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
This is the part where I gave up. This just doesn't happen outside of romantic comedies. Sorry.
That happened with a married couple who are friends of my family. So, yeah.

Edit: And I can't think of a romantic comedy in which it happens. It doesn't seem very funny to me.

Last edited by AClockworkMelon; 08-24-2011 at 02:19 AM..
Old 08-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Charter Member

I've never even met the OP and I think he's cheating on his wife.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
That happened with a married couple who are friends of my family. So, yeah.
But not as the third stage of suspicious (or is it?) behaviour.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
But not as the third stage of suspicious (or is it?) behaviour.
What do you mean? With the RL couple I mentioned it turned out there was an inappropriate extramarital relationship (I think things had only progressed to an emotional affair by that point... but if they hadn't been caught I'm sure it would've gone further).
Old 08-24-2011, 04:04 AM

I actually got as far as

Quote:
Everyone knows that the clothes for thin people is alway nicer than clothes for fat people, so I changed the way I dressed.
before completely stopping to believe anything the OP said.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
What do you mean? With the RL couple I mentioned it turned out there was an inappropriate extramarital relationship (I think things had only progressed to an emotional affair by that point... but if they hadn't been caught I'm sure it would've gone further).
Oh. You were agreeing with me? I got all confuzzled, sorry.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:46 AM

Just repeating this in case 3/4 of the participants of this thread missed it...
Old 08-24-2011, 08:29 AM

My wife got a little suspicious when she found a couple of naked hookers in our bed. Honest, I don't know how they got there!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:40 AM

Clearly, tdn, all you were doing was putting a used condom into the Goodwill box.

I think your wife is co-dependent.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:48 AM

That'll teach you to use condoms.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ImpossibleThingsB4Breakfast View Post
Clearly, tdn, all you were doing was putting a used condom into the Goodwill box.
Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Because of all of these things my wife now thinks I am cheating on her and is currently not talking to me. I don't know what to do.
How 'bout not cheating on your wife, seems to me that would work just fine. Trust me, whatever fling you're having now will amount to nothing in the end, after having your fun around town, you'll always want to return to your spouse.

Oh, and having 'female' friends is not allowed, first of all your wife should be your best friend, and anyone else other than her can only be male. Men and women cannot be 'friends', or at least not for long before chemical reactions start going off like fireworks if you get my meaning.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstrain View Post
Oh, and having 'female' friends is not allowed, first of all your wife should be your best friend, and anyone else other than her can only be male. Men and women cannot be 'friends', or at least not for long before chemical reactions start going off like fireworks if you get my meaning.
Yay! The thread's gonna get fun now!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Y'all know you're being whooshed, right?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
How 'bout not cheating on your wife, seems to me that would work just fine. Trust me, whatever fling you're having now will amount to nothing in the end, after having your fun around town, you'll always want to return to your spouse.

I agree the OP's probably cheating, but I call bullshit on the bolded part of the above quote.

"Not allowed"?? Sez who? Cuz' it is in my marriage.

Husband has female friends and that's fine with me; I have always had a few guy-friends. Husband knows that he is my #1 and trusts me, and I knows he adores me and no-one else so I trust him. The key here is the word friend - as in a platonic relationship where two people have similar interests and enjoy each others company. Male/female relationships don't HAVE to be sexual.

Of course, I'm speaking from a 50 year old's view point, not a 24 year old's. And, FWIW, we've been married (to each other) for 20 years, and together for 11 years prior to that.

And what about same sex couples? Must they then only associate with members of the opposite sex?

ETA - I would have thought this a definite whoosh except for Bosstrain's previous arrogance in his tailgating rant.

Last edited by saje; 08-24-2011 at 09:22 AM..
Old 08-24-2011, 09:24 AM

saje, Bosstrain has a point. I'm just not sure where it is.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saje View Post
ETA - I would have thought this a definite whoosh except for Bosstrain's previous arrogance in his tailgating rant.
It's not Bosstrain I'm talking about. The OP is obviously a joke.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
It's not Bosstrain I'm talking about. The OP is obviously a joke.
Yes. Once again, read the thread the OP was split out from.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 AM

I did not take older relationships into account with that statement of course. A young couple is going to have a very rocky road for many years, but one of the ways of keep it from crumbling is merely to have one of the two individuals sacrifice themselves every second of every day. It works much better if the man goes ahead and realizes his life is devoted to her, and vice versa. Being a male, I can only speak from my side of things, and I know that right off the bat men think once they've married, they now have a slave or something (I'm being overly dramatic of course), when in reality, it's quite the opposite. If both spouses enslave themselves to the other, the unity is nearly un-breakable, however, this requires an extreme level of devotion on both sides, and if one side falters, the over must take up the slack to regain balance.

Oh, and thanks so much saje, for reminding us all of that thread, like no one knew about it.

Last edited by Bosstrain; 08-24-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Old 08-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Who donates panties to Goodwill? Ewwww.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Yes. Once again, read the thread the OP was split out from.
I think it was a bad idea to split the post from the context of the thread it was in.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Since the OP appears to have been a passing troll, I'll close this. If anyone still has anything to say about other participants in this thread, feel free to start a new thread, in MPSIMS or the Pit, depending on how outraged you are.

twickster, MPSIMS moderator
Old 08-24-2011, 03:46 PM
BANNED

My wife thinks that I am cheating on her, but I am not! (Updated)

I apologize for not replying to those people that responded to my posting yesterday, which I included above. I want to thank everyone for their honesty. I posted on this website so that I can see if anyone would believe me. Of course the results were what I expected. I don’t blame my wife for thinking that I was cheating on her, even though I am not! I love her too much to do anything to hurt her. The good news is that my wife and I made up and I cleared up most of the coincidences.
We found out that the women that were calling me were the trainers from my gym. They were trying to schedule an appointment with me. They hung up on my wife because they thought that they had the wrong number and they weren’t smart enough to ask for me. They finally left a message for me. My wife and I actually went to the gym to meet with the trainers last night. To my wife’s surprise they were real trainers that did work at the gym. It was really embarrassing when we went to the gym, I had to give the trainers an explanation as to why my wife wanted to meet them. I don’t think I will be going to that gym anymore. This convinced my wife that these were not my girl friends. We also cleared up the incident with the panties and blouse. My neighbors vouched for me and told my wife that they did ask me to take their old clothes to Goodwill box for them. Thankfully, I had also taken my next door neighbors clothes that day and he saw me take my other neighbor’s clothes (The attractive young woman. I agree, it is gross to donate your underwear .) Now I have to prove to my wife that the condom in my truck was not mine. That is going to be difficult. I think that she still does not trust me 100%. The major thing that saved my marriage is that I have never given her a reason to suspect me of cheating. I have been a great husband to her and we have had a great marriage until recently.

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 08-24-2011 at 04:04 PM..
Old 08-24-2011, 03:59 PM

Well, good for you!

Joe
Old 08-24-2011, 04:01 PM

Mod Note

I'm actually going to merge this with your other topic and reopen that one since it appears you weren't just doing a drive by.

I have also edited your post so it's not, essentially, repeating the entire OP.

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 08-24-2011 at 04:03 PM..
Old 08-24-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
The major thing that saved my marriage is that I have never given her a reason to suspect me of cheating.
I'd say the major thing that saved your marriage is the massive brain injury your wife must have sustained in the past to make her so gullible.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 PM
BANNED

Just because she believes me doesn't make her stupid. She is a very smart woman, she is a VP of a major company. She was able to work her way up in just 4 years! She is also the kindest person I know and will help anyone in need. I love her more than life its self. I would do anything to prove to her that I love her and I would even look at another woman. I am just glad that things are working out. Bob Ducca you are just jealous because you don’t have a woman that loves you this much.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 PM
BANNED

Thanks Joe, at least there is one person here with a heat.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks Joe, at least there is one person here with a heat.
If I told you to die in a fire, would you say I have a big heat?

All joking aside, all's well that ends well right?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

I'm extremely curious (and I know you can't answer because it didn't happen) ... how did the woman you had sex with in the back of your truck (not that you actually did) leave without her panties or even her blouse? I mean (hypothetically speaking) did she have a long jacket or something and just forget to count the pieces as she put them back on? Or did she actually (but not really) walk away both commando and topless?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:38 PM

Threads like this make me appreciate open marriages SOOOOOOO much.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 PM

Who gives old panties to Goodwill? That's nasty.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
*snip*
This is not true.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Just because she believes me doesn't make her stupid. She is a very smart woman, she is a VP of a major company. She was able to work her way up in just 4 years!
And you're a cowboy astronaut, right?

I'd suspect the OP's story to be an old Three's Company episode, but it's too badly written even for that.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Good, now I feel a little less naive. I actually believed the OP the first time. It helps of course, that neither my husband nor myself are the jealous kind.

And that between our jobs, chores, childcare and vegging out behind the computer, neither of us has more then five minutes a day to cheat, even if we wanted to.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
We found out that the women that were calling me were the trainers from my gym. They were trying to schedule an appointment with me. They hung up on my wife because they thought that they had the wrong number and they werenít smart enough to ask for me. They finally left a message for me. My wife and I actually went to the gym to meet with the trainers last night. To my wifeís surprise they were real trainers that did work at the gym. It was really embarrassing when we went to the gym, I had to give the trainers an explanation as to why my wife wanted to meet them. I donít think I will be going to that gym anymore. This convinced my wife that these were not my girl friends.
I'm amazed that these trainers are willing to come within 5 miles of you and the crazy.
Closed Thread