The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 08-25-2011, 12:03 PM

Kirkland Vodka vs Grey Goose? Really?

I got a bottle of Kirkland vodka from one of my buyer's for my b-day and a couple of people that saw it said it's just like Grey Goose, but for half the price. It's 5x distilled but will that be enough for it to compete?

I stuck it in the freezer and will compare it to some Belvedere this weekend.
Advertisements  
Old 08-25-2011, 12:10 PM
BANNED

I thought that Grey Goose was supposedly a pretty mediocre vodka (as far as "professional" liquor & spirits critics are concerned) dressed up as a super-premium product by a very successful marketing campaign....
Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 PM

Even so, it's half the price and if it's as good as GG then I'll be sold.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:26 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Moving to Cafe Society.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 08-25-2011, 12:30 PM

I need to find the cite, but I remember a true double-blind vodka taste test that destroyed the whole premium scam. The winner was a plastic jug brand. And this was tasting ice cold shots.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:31 PM

The only "super-premium" thing about Grey Goose, and all other such "high end" vodkas is the pretty bottle it comes in.

Before anyone starts, yes, there is a difference between a decent brand and the shit that comes in a plastic jug, sometimes massive, usually subtle, but the main difference between Svedka, Stoli, and Chopin is about $20. With few exceptions, the vast majority of vodka snobs who insist they can tell the difference between $10 Smirnoff and $60 Jean Marc XO are both fooling themselves and wasting their money.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPB in Salt Lake View Post
I thought that Grey Goose was supposedly a pretty mediocre vodka (as far as "professional" liquor & spirits critics are concerned) dressed up as a super-premium product by a very successful marketing campaign....
It is. But, then almost all vodkas are fairly mediocre. The whole point of vodka is to be as flavorless and unassuming as possible. Vodka as a drink is essentially driven entirely by marketing (to an even greater extent than the wider alcoholic beverages market).

Grey Goose is a premium vodka because it's a premium brand. It entered the market costing twice as much as the most expensive and successful vodka (Absolut, which spent a fortune on a brilliant and successful advertising campaign to get where it was). Its most impressive advancements in the art of vodka were bottle design (heavier, frosted glass) and an aspirational price.

Here's a great article about the history of vodka in America.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Slight hijack, but is there anything to the idea of buying low-end vodka and filtering it using a Brita water pitcher? Would doing so improve the taste much? (I'm not much of a drinker, so it's not an experiment that I'm qualified to try.)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Slight hijack, but is there anything to the idea of buying low-end vodka and filtering it using a Brita water pitcher? Would doing so improve the taste much? (I'm not much of a drinker, so it's not an experiment that I'm qualified to try.)
The very first thread I ever started here on the SDMB was about various vodkas, and the Britta technique was discussed in some detail, as well as the actual differences between high-end and rotgut labels.

I think it was a 3 page thread, a virtual cornucopia of vodka information for all of the degenerate juicers and sophisticated connoisseurs here on the Dope....
Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Mythbusters did this. Subjectively, it did seem to improve the taste, but not by much.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
I got a bottle of Kirkland vodka...
Kirkland? As in Costco Kirkland? (Googles. Wow, it is from Costco!)

And here I thought that Trader Joe's blended Scotch was weird.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:00 PM

Years ago, a friend and I bought a bottle of "Osco Drug" branded brandy.

It was... not a good experience.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcards View Post
Kirkland? As in Costco Kirkland? (Googles. Wow, it is from Costco!)

And here I thought that Trader Joe's blended Scotch was weird.
The Costcos near me have an entire aisle devoted to wines, beers and spirits. I'm a big fan of their Kirkland brand products.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I was shocked when I saw it in a liquor store a few months ago because I heard about how it was a really expensive brand and all that. But it's really not eyebrow-raisingly expensive. Unless you buy it in a club and they tack a three hundred dollar bottle service fee onto the price.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Here's an Interesting New York Magazine article that discusses the origin of Grey Goose. Conclusion: it's a pretty good vodka that was made popular by setting an outrageous price for it and marketing it as super-premium.

I've never really gotten the whole premium vodka thing. Bad vodka has off-putting flavors. Good vodka is flavorless. Premium vodka is what, even more flavorless? Maybe my palate is just not refined enough, but their distinguishing feature seems to be the pretty bottles.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:09 PM

Seriously (and I mean it. I'm not snarking), somebody explain vodka connoisseurship to me. What are you trying to taste in a good vodka? It's always been my understanding that vodka is supposed to be pretty much pure ethanol at a certain percentage in tasteless water.

So, are you trying to detect...the absence of any flavors? Is that what makes it good?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
The Costcos near me have an entire aisle devoted to wines, beers and spirits. I'm a big fan of their Kirkland brand products.
I've been impressed with them as well. A co-worker last week was talking about the Kirkland batteries, said they were just as good as Duracell's. I have some cargo shorts that are Kirkland and they're nice and thick, good stitches, and for $15.00 I was all about 2 or 3 pairs.

Back to vodka, I usually drink it mixed with fruit juice like strawberry/banana/pineapple/orange in various combination's so I drink a lot of that red labeled Smirnoff brand. It's only triple distilled but it goes well mixed.

Anyone ever infused vodka? I guess you can flavor vodka by soaking it in different things. Some weird combos like bacon and grapes or some stupid things that claimed to turn out good. (I haven't tried it)

Last edited by Rekd; 08-25-2011 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: because I can't speel "ever"
Old 08-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Don't be too quick to dismiss Kikkerland-branded stuff. Everything I've purchased with that label has been high-quality. The vodka is good, but lesser-priced stuff is just as good.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
With few exceptions, the vast majority of vodka snobs who insist they can tell the difference between $10 Smirnoff and $60 Jean Marc XO are both fooling themselves and wasting their money.
You lucky stiffs. Here in the Great State of Washington Smirnoff is $18.95 for a 750 ml bottle. Don't even dare to think what Jean Marc would be.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:39 PM

It is possible to go too low with vodka. Someone gave my mother a drink secretly made from Popov vodka, convinced that she wouldn't be able to tell the difference. My mother's taste buds might not have, but her body did -- she upchucked after the first swallow.
But Smirnoff won in a NYTimes vodka taste-off.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Don't be too quick to dismiss Kikkerland-branded stuff.
I'm not dismissing it, I'm bringing it up for discussion because lately I've been impressed with the Kirkland stuff.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Anyone ever infused vodka? I guess you can flavor vodka by soaking it in different things.
My fridge right now is stocked with bottles of the summer's infusing experiments. Truly, truly awesome, and much better than purchased "infused" vodkas. I have cucumber (good alone or with a sprinkle of sea salt and a splash of seltzer), plus fruit combos that are good alone or with a little simple syrup & seltzer or various mixers like lemonade. For example, ginger peach, blackberry vanilla, strawberry lime. I also have some basil simple syrup I plan to try with the cucumber ...
Old 08-25-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapiotar View Post
Someone gave my mother a drink secretly made from Popov vodka, convinced that she wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
But Smirnoff won in a NYTimes vodka taste-off.
Popov is to vodka what Jose Quervo is to tequila. :hurl:
Old 08-25-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Beauchamp View Post
My fridge right now is stocked with bottles of the summer's infusing experiments. Truly, truly awesome, and much better than purchased "infused" vodkas. I have cucumber (good alone or with a sprinkle of sea salt and a splash of seltzer), plus fruit combos that are good alone or with a little simple syrup & seltzer or various mixers like lemonade. For example, ginger peach, blackberry vanilla, strawberry lime. I also have some basil simple syrup I plan to try with the cucumber ...
I'm almost convinced to get started. It's either that or start doing micro-brew. But I'm not much of a beer drinker so I'm thinking infusing.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daylate View Post
You lucky stiffs. Here in the Great State of Washington Smirnoff is $18.95 for a 750 ml bottle. Don't even dare to think what Jean Marc would be.
Wow, here in Utah, where all alcohol except for 3.2% beer is sold only by state-owned and run stores, I just saw Smirnoff for under $12....

Of course, up in an average, random grocery store in Seattle, the beer and wine selection is glorious enough to bring tears to my eyes, so bountiful the choices, and all sold cold, to boot.

(You can't buy any alcohol in one of our liquor stores that's been kept refrigerated, as apparently they don't trust us not to tear into it immediately upon getting out of the store and then guzzling it down as we careen down the interstate, eyes gleaming with the craven, Godless visage that all consumers of alcoholic beverages obviously possess so that the Righteous can avoid them at all costs)
Old 08-25-2011, 06:04 PM

A couple years back some friends & I did a doubleblind taste test of Grey Goose, Belvedere, and Chopin. GG was the clear loser. Bel & Chopin each got a few votes. I voted for the Bel, which surprised me because I was a Chopin guy going into the tasting. Take that for what its worth.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've been impressed with them as well. A co-worker last week was talking about the Kirkland batteries, said they were just as good as Duracell's. I have some cargo shorts that are Kirkland and they're nice and thick, good stitches, and for $15.00 I was all about 2 or 3 pairs.

Back to vodka, I usually drink it mixed with fruit juice like strawberry/banana/pineapple/orange in various combination's so I drink a lot of that red labeled Smirnoff brand. It's only triple distilled but it goes well mixed.

Anyone ever infused vodka? I guess you can flavor vodka by soaking it in different things. Some weird combos like bacon and grapes or some stupid things that claimed to turn out good. (I haven't tried it)
Our roomie makes pepper vodka and hot pepper vodka. I believe she also made a cherry infused one as well.

mrAru and I are fond of potato vodka, it seems to have a smoother mouthfeel without having to be frozen and seems to have much less alcohol sharpness when sipped instead of chugged. Mixes well also but he prefers it as shots or in tonics and i prefer it in tonics and rickeys on the very rare occasions that I take a drink.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I'm almost convinced to get started. It's either that or start doing micro-brew. But I'm not much of a beer drinker so I'm thinking infusing.
I wanted to make not-huge quantities of lots of different flavors, so I used quart mason jars. Filled them with 2 cups or so of fruit (whole blackberries, everything else in roughly 1/2" cubes or slices), the other flavoring (1/2 split vanilla bean, peel [no pith] of 1 lime, etc.), and filled with vodka. Don't use expensive vodka -- Smirnoff is fine, or I had Skyy on hand so I used that. Screw on lids and put in a dark place and let steep 2 weeks. (fruit will lose its color mostly ... freaky.) Strain, then strain again through coffee filters. You'll need multiple changes of filters as they clog quickly.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Beauchamp View Post
I wanted to make not-huge quantities of lots of different flavors, so I used quart mason jars. Filled them with 2 cups or so of fruit (whole blackberries, everything else in roughly 1/2" cubes or slices), the other flavoring (1/2 split vanilla bean, peel [no pith] of 1 lime, etc.), and filled with vodka. Don't use expensive vodka -- Smirnoff is fine, or I had Skyy on hand so I used that. Screw on lids and put in a dark place and let steep 2 weeks. (fruit will lose its color mostly ... freaky.) Strain, then strain again through coffee filters. You'll need multiple changes of filters as they clog quickly.
Wow. That's pretty simple to get started. Thanks. Are there limits to what you can flavor with? I assume the alcohol will preserve just about anything that sits in it, right?
Old 08-26-2011, 05:48 AM

The idea isn't to preserve the fruit/whatever, it's to extract the flavor from the [whatever]. The infusion ingredients are pretty useless after the steeping. As to limits ... well, don't know of any. Whatever sounds good to you.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

I'm on my iPod so I can't link, but Google "vodka infusions" and you'll find that you don't have to soak it for three weeks all the time - I don't think I ever soaked anything longer than two. I made a really kick-ass hot pepper vodka with jalapeño, Thai and Serrano peppers that only soaked three days. It's the number one request I get for parties. Fantastic Bloody Marys and it's killer with pineapple juice. I can't remember the name of the vodka - it's seven times distilled and comes in a blue three-sided bottle. Good stuff, though.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:33 AM

I didn't say 3 weeks, I said 2. In fact, except for something like limoncello which uses only peel, more than 2 weeks is a bad idea. For something hot like peppers, I would guess that less time is OK unless you want something super fiery.

I didn't say my method was the definitive be-all, end-all. I got my ideas from Googling around, too. No need to be combative about it.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular1 View Post
I'm on my iPod so I can't link, but Google "vodka infusions" and you'll find that you don't have to soak it for three weeks all the time - I don't think I ever soaked anything longer than two. I made a really kick-ass hot pepper vodka with jalapeño, Thai and Serrano peppers that only soaked three days. It's the number one request I get for parties. Fantastic Bloody Marys and it's killer with pineapple juice. I can't remember the name of the vodka - it's seven times distilled and comes in a blue three-sided bottle. Good stuff, though.
Platinum, I think.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:05 PM

I am not a vodka drinker. In fact, I drink frilly girly umbrella drinks, the ones that will make you sick before they get you drunk. I have a sweet tooth! What can I say? Well, except for a really good Cadillac Margarita on the rocks. But I digress.

Effen Vodka. My husband & I bought a bottle, mainly for the name & the cool bottle. And so we could ask guests if they wanted some effin' vodka.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:11 PM

I've got some Effen vodka too. Good stuff. I have Crystal Head, cool bottle haven't tried it. I have 3 bottles of Holland (Bong) vodka, I drank one and am... modifying it. It's good as well.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:17 PM

There's also skittles vodka.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Seriously (and I mean it. I'm not snarking), somebody explain vodka connoisseurship to me. What are you trying to taste in a good vodka? It's always been my understanding that vodka is supposed to be pretty much pure ethanol at a certain percentage in tasteless water.

So, are you trying to detect...the absence of any flavors? Is that what makes it good?
It is for me. Apparently I'm very sensitive to the flavor/smell of alcohol contaminants. I'm no snob, but I can tell the difference between vodkas in mixed drinks. I've tried many and found only a few I can stand. I prefer Belvedere or Stoli Gold; GG or Ketel One are close seconds.

It's not marketing that made me like those brands, but it was marketing that led me to try those brands over taking my chances testing some no-name cheap vodka. When I'd tested enough to know that these were drinkable and it would be hard (and expensive) to find better I quit searching. I imagine I'd be happy with reagent-grade ethanol.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodyne View Post
It is for me. Apparently I'm very sensitive to the flavor/smell of alcohol contaminants. I'm no snob, but I can tell the difference between vodkas in mixed drinks. I've tried many and found only a few I can stand. I prefer Belvedere or Stoli Gold; GG or Ketel One are close seconds.

It's not marketing that made me like those brands, but it was marketing that led me to try those brands over taking my chances testing some no-name cheap vodka. When I'd tested enough to know that these were drinkable and it would be hard (and expensive) to find better I quit searching. I imagine I'd be happy with reagent-grade ethanol.
But you've never tried them in double-blind circumstances.

Sounds like a lovely idea for a Dopefest - vodkas all over the price range, re-bottled and coded at an off-site location, tested both neat and in one agreed-upon mixer.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
But you've never tried them in double-blind circumstances.

Sounds like a lovely idea for a Dopefest - vodkas all over the price range, re-bottled and coded at an off-site location, tested both neat and in one agreed-upon mixer.
Based on my experience I know I like pepperoni on pizza more than spinach, I don't require a double-blind test to be sure.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post

Below is from Spirits Review for Luksusowa (It is more than I would ever notice but I do like the brand, and the potato vodka.)

Appearance: Crystal clear, no sediment whatsoever. On swirling, it leaves a thin clear coat on the inside of the glass forming a crenellated edge with some legs and lots of small droplets - this seems to be a familiar pattern with potato vodka. A crystal clear viscous pool in the glass.

First Impression: A slightly sweet smell to it, slight alkaline (cocoa?) smell (could be because it is a member of a alkali plant family). Rounder,deeper smell than a grain vodka. No smell of esters or oils; clean.

Taste: Sweet and slightly oily on the tongue, medium body. Crisp, mild bite to it on the edges of your tongue. A slight warming of alcohol as it goes down the throat, with lingering warmth and tingle to the lips. Chilling accentuates the sweetness and body.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodyne View Post
Based on my experience I know I like pepperoni on pizza more than spinach, I don't require a double-blind test to be sure.
Neither pepperoni nor spinach is legally defined as:

Quote:
neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color.
...and I don't think I'd want to eat either it they fit that description.

Seriously, if you really, truly believe that you have not been influenced by marketing, and chose the brands of vodka you prefer solely on taste, this would be your opportunity to show all of us.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
Mythbusters did this. Subjectively, it did seem to improve the taste, but not by much.
To be fair, the expert did manage to rank the filtrations in order from 1-10 which would be almost impossible by chance alone. The rest of the participants, however, couldn't tell the difference between the filtrations.

I've tried it. One thing they don't mention in these experiments is that it absolutely ruins your filter for normal tasting water. So if you're planning doing this to save money, realize that you're out a $20 filter in the process.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeinva View Post
Below is from Spirits Review for Luksusowa (It is more than I would ever notice but I do like the brand, and the potato vodka.)
I love this brand. It's quite cheap at my local store too, less than Stoli usually. It goes down smooth, and I use it to do infusions. My favorite combos have been Cardamom pods and a cinnamon stick, peppercorns and sliced ginger, and one with a bunch of fresh sage. I infuse the sage one for a week, the other two for 2-3 weeks in a dark cupboard. I never bother to filter, just strain through a sieve, then store in the freezer.

They're very tasty mixed with seltzer, seltzer and citrus juice, or best of all, seltzer, lemon juice and a shot of Barenjager for a very exotic summer night lemonade.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I'm not dismissing it, I'm bringing it up for discussion because lately I've been impressed with the Kirkland stuff.
I don't know if this is true for any particular Kirkland product, but it's not unknown for generics/house brands to be made by name brand companies on a contract basis, and if you can't beat Costco, maybe you can reclaim some of those sales by becoming a contract manufacturer. Though I don't claim to know who OEMs their vodka.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huerta88 View Post
I don't know if this is true for any particular Kirkland product, but it's not unknown for generics/house brands to be made by name brand companies on a contract basis, and if you can't beat Costco, maybe you can reclaim some of those sales by becoming a contract manufacturer. Though I don't claim to know who OEMs their vodka.
Well one clue may be they use the same type of "cork top" as Grey Goose.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:13 AM

Does aging the vodka two years help?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
Does aging the vodka two years help?
You mean buying a bottle and stashing it away somewhere cool and dark? Nope. Distilled spirits, once bottled, don't age. The maker can age it before bottling but nothing will happen in the bottle once you get it home - other than evaporation.

As was pointed out above vodka is, by definition, meant to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color.... and the intent of aging is to add some or all of those things. I think aged vodka is an oxymoron.

Having said all that, I'm quite sure someone will come in and link to some. That's how my luck goes
Old 06-28-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Righteous View Post
You mean buying a bottle and stashing it away somewhere cool and dark? Nope. Distilled spirits, once bottled, don't age. The maker can age it before bottling but nothing will happen in the bottle once you get it home - other than evaporation.

As was pointed out above vodka is, by definition, meant to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color.... and the intent of aging is to add some or all of those things. I think aged vodka is an oxymoron.

Having said all that, I'm quite sure someone will come in and link to some. That's how my luck goes
But a two year-old aged thread about vodka tastes just right!

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 06-28-2013 at 10:41 AM..
Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 AM

While we're on the subject, how does one infuse flavors into vodka? If I wanted to make a spicy vodka, do I just open the bottle, throw in a few habaneros, and let it sit for a few days?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
But a two year-old aged thread about vodka tastes just right!
Ahhhh... this is one smooth aged thread.