The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Nunavut Boy Nunavut Boy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Can I use a Coleman latern indoors - need answer fast!

Due to a generator failure in town, we're going to have rolling blackouts for the next few days.

Our power is supposed to off from 6pm (40 mins from now) to 10pm tonight and I was planning on using our Coleman propane lantern indoors. I figure, as long as we keep our windows open and get a good draft going, we should be ok. My GF is convinced that we're going to asphyxiate. Who's right?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 08-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 48,779
I've used one of my Coleman lanterns indoors many times. It's not recommended, but as long as you have fresh air coming in you should be fine. Just don't go to sleep with them on. You might not wake up if you've miscalculated the amount of incoming air. Really, I reckon my 70-something-year-old house gets enough ventilation -- even when I don't want it. Like in Winter.

Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.




.

Last edited by Johnny L.A.; 08-29-2011 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2011, 04:25 PM
jasg jasg is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upper left hand corner
Posts: 2,980
According to their PDF manuals, NO. Carbon monoxide is the danger cited.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-29-2011, 04:25 PM
obbn obbn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
As a last resort it can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it. The risk is really not worth it. Not to mention the possibility of a fire if knocked over.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Nunavut Boy Nunavut Boy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Great - thanks! I showed her this and now I don't have to sit in the dark all evening.

She did mention that she's going to be greatly displeased with both of us if she wakes up dead tomorrow.

EDIT: this was directed towards Johnny. There were fewer replies when I started typing.

I know it's not recommended - but what is not recommended due to lawsuits and what is generally safe if done correctly are often two different things.

Last edited by Nunavut Boy; 08-29-2011 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 48,779
Also, I use the traditional lanterns. Propane should burn cleaner. It's what my furnace runs on. As far as burning gas in the house, many houses have gas ranges. (Sadly, mine doesn't.)

Not to disagree with the others. As I said, it's not recommended. But I do it until I can pull out the genny. (The Internet, cable, and TV won't work on Coleman lanterns!)

obbn: There's little danger of knocking over the kind of lanterns I use. No dogs or children or anything. Besides, I often hang it from a hook that someone put up for a hanging lamp. (And yes, I made sure the ceiling doesn't get too hot.)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-29-2011, 05:17 PM
jnglmassiv jnglmassiv is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago's Northside
Posts: 1,998
How much more 'dangerous' is a propane lantern than, say, all four burners and the oven running on my natural gas stove? Assume no kitchen stove hood and average household ventilation.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-29-2011, 05:20 PM
johnpost johnpost is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
people operate gas ranges/ovens for that amount of hours in houses sealed up for winter consuming higher amounts of gas. should be safe if you shut off before sleeping.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Don't try this at home

Theoretically, the burner is very efficient. However, you have no way of knowing. If you said you had a CO detector running next to it, I would feel better except I bet it would be setting off alarms. You are only talking about four hours of your life here and it should be light until 8:30 anyway, maybe 9PM. Have fun in the dark and get batteries for next time.

PS. I have DC power to last two weeks or more as far as lights, shaving and other necessities like Internet. Cable might not last with power out, but dial up would limp along.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Martin Hyde Martin Hyde is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Growing up in the stix where storms regularly knocked out power for many hours (and weeks if it was a snow storm) we lived on coleman lanterns (and other more traditional oil lamps as well) with no ill effects.

I know that factually there is a risk, but I think it is very overstated. People sometimes dramatically underestimate concentrations of various gases in relation to danger. Not directly related but there is a scene in a movie in which the hero shoots up this cabin, killing all the villains. Then he hits the gas line with the butt of his rifle venting gas into the cabin and walks out.

Less than 15 seconds later the huge roaring fire in the fireplace reacts with the gas engulfing this 2 story, est. 4,000 sq. ft + massive lodge in a massive inferno.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Ludy Ludy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Keep a window open in the room the lantern is in and you will be fine.

My family has a cabin that we use them in all the time. We have a few running and keep the window open. Three generations of my family have done it that way with no problems.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Bumbershoot Bumbershoot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,673
What is it they say about advice received on an internet message board?

And what it is they say about anecdotes equaling data?

But hey, knock yourself out!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 PM
crowmanyclouds crowmanyclouds is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hyde View Post
... there is a scene in a movie in which the hero shoots up this cabin, killing all the villains. Then he hits the gas line with the butt of his rifle venting gas into the cabin and walks out.

Less than 15 seconds later the huge roaring fire in the fireplace reacts with the gas engulfing this 2 story, est. 4,000 sq. ft + massive lodge in a massive inferno.
Shooter! With a great little cameo from Levon Helm.

CMC fnord!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Nunavut Boy Nunavut Boy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Update:

We used the lantern inside for a couple of hours with the windows open and everything seems fine. I've since talked to a friend who works for the power corp and found out that 2 of 4 diesel generators failed, one due to some problem with the head and another due to a blown turbocharger (100K part!!). They managed to MacGuyver something for the one with the blown head that should work until real parts arrive tomorrow.

Lantern is packed away again until winter camping...or until next blackout.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 48,779
Did you die?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Nunavut Boy Nunavut Boy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Can't say anything with 100% certainty, but if if this post is from me dead, than I can finally offer proof of the supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 AM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 22,656
For the OP and everyone else- they now make these dandy wind-up LED lanterns, that often also work by batteries. Along with a couple of these should be a Red Cross radio that also works by wind-up or batteries.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.