Four studs on a 6-hole tuxedo shirt - need answer fast.

Dopers, the fate of my nuptials is in your hands. My groomsmen have tuxedo shirts with six buttons and six button holes. The shirt came with only four studs. Should we just start at the top and work our way down, and button the last two? Should there have been six studs instead?

Help!

Wouldn’t the last two buttons get covered by the jacket? Maybe that’s why–they’d be invisible therefore unnecessary?

Good luck!

If you have time to go to a store, like a Jos A Bank or something, the studs are cheap.

If you are wearing a vest, you normally can’t see a few of the studs anyway. Button, safety pin, whatever makes it work.

Cummerbund? Tell one of your groomsmen to give you a stud so you each have five. That should work.

Studs at the top, buttons at the bottom covered by vest, cummerbund, and/or jacket is standard.

They don’t have cumberbunds, but thankfully, the bottom two are hidden in their pants. Crisis averted. Now on to figure out how to deal with this 90+ degree heat.

If you don’t have a cummerbund or vest, the jackets should probably be buttoned then. I assume you’re using bow ties or the studs are pointless anyway.

The top should be a button, since it’s covered by the bow tie. The next four are the studs, and the last is a button, covered by the cummerbund (or vest).

That was my answer though the OP said that without cummerbund/vest, his guys were able just to tuck the bottom buttons in too. This always made me a bit uneasy, why not just give me an extra stud for the bottom button, but someone somewhere has a reason for doling out the accessories the way they do (and since I always manage to lose one, I’ve bought a lot of last minute studs/cufflinks, all of which seemed to be in sets of four (the buttons, that is)).