The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

View Poll Results: What type of mattress do you own?
Innersprings 93 57.41%
Memory Foam 32 19.75%
Latex 11 6.79%
Air 8 4.94%
Futon 5 3.09%
Other 13 8.02%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2011, 02:23 AM

What type of mattress do you own

We just replaced our ten year old mattress, and so I did a lot of research on options. I'm curious about what people really have, so here is a poll.

Innerspring is the standard type.
Memory foam is like the Tempurpedic bed, and conforms to you.
Air is used by Sleep Number and such, and is adjustable.
Advertisements  
Old 09-05-2011, 02:44 AM

Other. Soft-side water bed.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:04 AM

I have a Sleep Number. I absolutely without a doubt HATE the thing. You have to understand. I love marshmallow cloudy beds. This one has basically two settings (even though you have several numbers) hard and bottom of the bed. There is no way it can conform to your body unless there is something else to support you, get into the areas you need. I have had more problems sleeping on it than any other bed. I tried to return it but they wouldn't (even after calling several times). Horrible. They did send me an eggcrate to sleep on with it. Yay.

There was one bed I almost got but it was wayyyyyy too expensive. It was a memory foam/innerspring mattress. I thought I would sleep for the rest of my life in that bed. Unfortunately, I could not afford it.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:40 AM

I love my memory foam mattress, it is the most comfortable mattress that I've ever slept on.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:41 AM

Sleep Number. Best chunk o' change we ever spent.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saje View Post
Sleep Number. Best chunk o' change we ever spent.
Same here. We had a very hard king bed and it made me miserable. I like to sleep on my side, and my shoulder would just get crushed. With the sleep number, I can have my side soft and my Wife can have her side hard. Works great for us.

VitrolicBump That's odd. Only two settings? Yes you said that there are several numbers, but ours is I think 1-100. It's not so much a setting as you just adjust the air pressure. Perhaps something is wrong with yours.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:04 AM

My parents hate their Sleep Number bed, too. I think it's just not the right fit for some people.

We have a crappy inner spring, the cheapest bed in the store. We bought it because we needed something quickly (just moved home from overseas) and didn't have a huge budget at the time. It kills my back. We're getting ready to go bed shopping again for something nicer, more comfortable, and bigger (!), which is why I clicked on this thread. My dream bed is the Serta mattress that they have at Hampton Inn hotels. You can order them through their website, but we'll try to find something similar locally.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Same here...
Old 09-05-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Same here. We had a very hard king bed and it made me miserable. I like to sleep on my side, and my shoulder would just get crushed. With the sleep number, I can have my side soft and my Wife can have her side hard. Works great for us.

VitrolicBump That's odd. Only two settings? Yes you said that there are several numbers, but ours is I think 1-100. It's not so much a setting as you just adjust the air pressure. Perhaps something is wrong with yours.
Unfortunately there really is no difference in the numbers for me. If I put it past 20, it kills because it's so firm. At 20 or below, all I feel is the bedframe. It isn't the mattress for me.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:12 PM

Innersprings. We just got a new one about a year ago. We're old-fashioned guys . . . .
Old 09-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure what my mattress is. Something designed by early communists intent on not only breaking their people's backs via toiling labor, but by also breaking their backs during their rest periods via mattresses made of plywood. Or something. I can literally knock on the top of the mattress and hear a hollow thud. It's an empty, solid box covered with mattress-looking fabric. I've always complained that I could never find a mattress that's firm enough for me, but this one crosses the line. Its only benefit as a mattress is that I don't have to get pinched by the slats comprising the bed frame's platform.

(And no, it's not a box spring.)
Old 09-05-2011, 08:33 PM

We've a spring mattress, which wasn't bad at all, but it got a lot better once we sprung for one of those memory-foam mattress toppers.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:24 PM

Cheapo Ikea innerspring. I think it was the second cheapest- $150 for a full.

I like hard mattresses. I'm happy.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:49 PM

After memory foam and a variety of innerspring back breakers... back to latex, ahhhhhhh!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCat View Post
Same here...
Me three.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:03 PM

Memory foam, but not of the sink-your-body-into-it-and-ache variety. It's the perfect amount of 'firm'.

It's amaaazzzzing.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:41 AM

I'm not sure what I have. It came out of a hotel that was upgrading their mattresses. It's not inner spring because it's stuffed like a futon, but it's a regular mattress looking thing. It's king sized and really firm and heavy, I love it. I call it my Klingon Death Bed.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Me too.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:27 AM

We have memory foam and we like it. It replaced a very expensive inner spring mattress (not RIDICULOUSLY expensive like Hästens, but pretty expensive), and the much cheaper foam is a lot more comfortable for both of us.

I've slept on Sleep Number beds in a hotel a couple of times, and I didn't like it at all. It felt like an air mattress to me. We tried them in the store, and the only one that approached feeling good was the one with so much padding on top you couldn't feel the air anymore, which it seems would defeat the purpose.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:11 AM

I have a Sleep Number bed and dislike it but my wife loves it. For me, it exacerbates my back problems regardless of the setting. Currently my side is set to 100 for the most support because I prefer that but I'm considering tinkering with the pump or possibly replacing it with a 5000 lb capacity air compressor so I can literally blow it up. I'd turn to my wife and say, "Gosh! What was that noise?" and then buy something else. Maybe a hammock.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereknocue67 View Post
I have a Sleep Number bed and dislike it but my wife loves it. For me, it exacerbates my back problems regardless of the setting. Currently my side is set to 100 for the most support because I prefer that but I'm considering tinkering with the pump or possibly replacing it with a 5000 lb capacity air compressor so I can literally blow it up. I'd turn to my wife and say, "Gosh! What was that noise?" and then buy something else. Maybe a hammock.
I endorse the natural latex slab. I compared between it and memory foam, never considered the sleep # woo woo.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 AM

We got a Serta high end Innerspring with the pillow top recently, California King. Despite my best efforts to buy the best, most comfortable mattress on the market I'm disappointed in it already. One, it must be rotated frequently or I feel I'm in a bit of a trough. Also, the pillow top captures and holds too much heat. Admittedly, I'm a 'hot' sleeper but with this I sweat even when the AC is on 76 and I'm only using a sheet.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:35 PM

To answer my own question, we looked at higher end innerspring mattresses, and tried out memory foam, but when we found a latex bed we immediately fell in love with it. The problem with memory foam for me is that I always start sleeping on my left side and end up sleeping on my right, and I'm not sure it would adjust.
We've only slept on the new bed for two nights, but I don't seem to be waking up as often, and it is very comfortable.
Interesting about sleep number beds, though.
What is frightening is that the bed costs about as much as a car I used to own. But it gets better mileage.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:38 PM

I put springs, but my mattress also has a memory foam pillow top.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:56 PM

I have also grown to hate my Sleep number bed.
If I have the number as low as I like it, my butt hits the baseboard, plus, my wife will inevitably roll into me. Plus, the middle of the bed is supported by a tiny foam strip, so if we want to cuddle, we have no support. Likewise sitting in the middle of the bed to watch TV. The foam side walls are bulging out, and it slides around on top of the lower box.

The only good thing about it is it disassembles for easy moving.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Sleep Number. Expensive, but worth it.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Latex. Love it. We've got an extra firm mattress with a thin top layer of soft latex. It gives you that "sink-into-it" softness *and* support.

It doesn't have the "can't turn over because you've sunk into a trough" issue that the memory foam mattresses have. And it's cooler than the memory foam, which is important when you're a heat pump.

We could have had two individual softness levels if we'd wanted, they would have put that together for us as well.

I tested a Sleep Number mattress when I was out looking. I cranked it all the way up and all the way down, couldn't really tell any difference between the settings.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:49 PM

Old fashioned water bed, with a waveless mattress.

It's still the best sleep for both of us, and when we have to suffer while visiting SCal and the grandbaby, it makes coming home all the sweeter.

~VOW
Old 09-06-2011, 02:04 PM

I got me one of these, and it's terrific!

http://www.aireloom.com/handCrafted.html
Old 09-07-2011, 01:38 AM

I have a cheap mattress and boxspring set, Therapedic, I think. Extra-firm, purchased in 1993. I added a 4-inch foam topper last year and like that, still happy with the thing. It won't die, still looks brand new. I like the topper a lot, will probably go with a foam mattress if I ever get around to investing in a bed again.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtail23 View Post
Latex. Love it. We've got an extra firm mattress with a thin top layer of soft latex. It gives you that "sink-into-it" softness *and* support.

It doesn't have the "can't turn over because you've sunk into a trough" issue that the memory foam mattresses have. And it's cooler than the memory foam, which is important when you're a heat pump.

We could have had two individual softness levels if we'd wanted, they would have put that together for us as well.

I tested a Sleep Number mattress when I was out looking. I cranked it all the way up and all the way down, couldn't really tell any difference between the settings.
Totally concur. Our California King size latex mattress was a lot more costly than I was initially comfortable with. We ordered it through Costco online (free shipping and set up) and my wife has been sleeping on it for about nine months, and together we have been sleeping on it for three and a half months (back from deployment.) We are both pleased with it.

The memory foam mattresses create that weird "gotta roll up and out of the trench you melted into" feeling that drove me crazy. I agree, they are also cooler than memory foam.

Sex on a latex mattress is awesome. They provide great support that is different than an innerspring mattress. We've gone from one room to the other to test the differences between them, and the latex is the one we keep coming to.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:21 AM

I have the IKEA Sultan Hjartdal mattress - an innerspring with two inches of memory foam on top - awesome! You get the softness and comfort of the foam coupled with the firmness of the springs.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 AM

... no options for people who own/use more than one bed?

The bed I normally use has a foam mattress from IKEA. The futon is, well, a futon. The guest bed has springs. The bed I'm using in Madrid is ancient foam, it should have been changed years ago but I don't think you can even find that size any more.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 AM

Funny this thread should suddenly appear. Hubby and I are in the midst of a mattress dilemma, as we're total opposites on what we both think constitutes "comfortable". We can't seem to meet in the middle, and it's driving us nuts.

He needs firm-to-the-point-of-concrete-slab. I need a little give. We've gone through a futon and two mattresses in the past 6-7 years and we still haven't found anything to our mutual liking
Old 09-08-2011, 08:31 AM

kiz, in Spain it's relatively normal (an informal poll taken around the time of my brother's wedding came out to "about 50:50") for married couples to have two beds rather than one. It solves issues of mattress firmness and blanket-hogging and none of the two-beds couples consulted found that it impeded intimacy. None of the single-bed couples consulted had ever tried a two-beds arrangement; some of the two-bedders had been single-bedders at the start of their marriage and moved to two-bed.

It may be worth considering.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitrolicBump View Post
Unfortunately there really is no difference in the numbers for me. If I put it past 20, it kills because it's so firm. At 20 or below, all I feel is the bedframe. It isn't the mattress for me.
Are you letting it inflate/deflate while you're on the mattress? Cuz I think that's the way you need to do it.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
... no options for people who own/use more than one bed?
The other person can get his own login.

I wonder however if dual bed couples have the same type of mattress.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Queen-size spring/memory foam combination mattress from the Walmart website. It was only $300, and I count it as the third-best money spent in my entire adult life (the first being my computer, the second my car).

Last edited by Rachellelogram; 09-08-2011 at 12:55 PM..
Old 09-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

All this talk about memory foam.. does no-one have polyether foam matresses anymore?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:04 PM

I currently have spring - but we definitely need a new bed. Its always a "3 dog night" in our house, and the queen is so crowded. I want a California King - would help my husband since he's so tall, right now his feet dangle over the edge, or crowd my feet. And based on what I'm reading here, I'm going to look into the latex. Prefer cooler over hot (I've got 3 little furnaces and 1 big furnace I can cuddle against if I'm too cool), and its already hard enough moving around with all the different bodies in the way, I have no interest in trying to struggle out of a trench too.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I will agree that the latex was pricey. We almost didn't go that route just for that reason. But we're very glad we did. Hell, amortized over 20 years it's not that bad!

kiz - try both foam (tempurpedic-type) and latex, I think one or the other might work for you. They seem to work for both 'hard-as-rock' and 'soft-and-squishy' people. That's one of the issues we had in our household. (Actually, the first time I flomped down on one of the mem-foams at the store, I called it the "softest rock I'd ever laid on". They do soften up as they warm to your body temp, which latex doesn't.)

Maastricht - I'm assuming you're talking about what we USAnians usually call 'foam rubber'. We didn't get one of those because they've gotten so expensive here - it was almost as much for a good, dense, foam mattress as it was for the memory foam. And a foam rubber mattress will break down fairly rapidly compared to the 20-year warrantied lifespan of either the memory foam or the latex mattresses we looked at.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:11 PM

I got a Tempur-pedic last fall, and love it.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:29 PM

When I first bought my house, I had almost no furniture, so we spend the first year and a half sleeping on airbeds. I LOVE those things, but if you sleep on it every night you have to replace them every 5 or 6 months. And I don't think they'd be conducive to a good love life. (I didn't have one at the time, so no matter.)
Last tax time I decided to buy a grown-up mattress and wanted a memory foam. Too pricey, until I found a good deal on Overstock.com and got an RV modular type memory foam. It came in three seperate layers which can be rearranged if you want a different firmness, although I haven't tried it. The only problem is the three layers eventually slide around and you have to haul them back into place. I guess if you installed it in an RV it would be surrounded by walls which would keep the layers in place better.
At any rate, I got my memory foam for under $300. Sweet. And I LOVE it even more than the airbed.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maastricht - I'm assuming you're talking about what we USAnians usually call 'foam rubber'. We didn't get one of those because they've gotten so expensive here - it was almost as much for a good, dense, foam mattress as it was for the memory foam. And a foam rubber mattress will break down fairly rapidly compared to the 20-year warrantied lifespan of either the memory foam or the latex mattresses we looked at.
I'm not sure, but I meant polyurethane foam. That is purely synthetic and it used to be the cheapest kind of matress. You could buy it in any shape and thickness and cut it with a bread knife to match the size of your bed. It looked like an oversize kitchen sponge. It didn't last more then about five/ten years, but it was cheap enough to replace often. I remember it being quite comfortable. It didn't have the memory feature, but I never missed that.

Last edited by Maastricht; 09-08-2011 at 03:06 PM..
Old 09-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Dances, prances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
What is frightening is that the bed costs about as much as a car I used to own. But it gets better mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofs View Post

Sex on a latex mattress is awesome. They provide great support that is different than an innerspring mattress. We've gone from one room to the other to test the differences between them, and the latex is the one we keep coming to.

I have a TempurPedic memory foam, and I don't get what trench you all are talking about. It sort of smooshes around me, but it' not like I have to sit up to peer out.

And speaking of sex, I don't think I've completely adjusted to sex-on-the-memory-foam. No bounce! At all. I mean, I don't want to hit the ceiling or anything, but I do think it's weird not to have a little give.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:53 PM

I have a question for you latex and memory-foam owners: don't those things get HOT? In my mind, foam is essentially PLASTIC, and if you put a plastic cover on your mattress you'll end up simmering before the night is over. That's one of the reasons a damned hospital bed is so uncomfortable!

Now, our waterbed is basically a great big baggie full of water, but in the summertime we turn OFF the heater and the bed becomes a fantastic heat sink that drains away all our body heat.

~VOW
Old 09-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Dances, prances

Your "hot" is my "snuggly warm," I'd say. But there is a cloth cover over the foam, and then the sheet over that. It's not as though you're just millimeters off plastic.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Waterbed.

StG
Old 09-08-2011, 08:27 PM

My memory foam does get hot, mostly because I start out the night (regardless of weather) with two huge comforters. By midnight, I'm hot no matter what I'm sleeping on, but there is definitely a papergirl-shaped hot spot. I just scooch over to the cooler side and toss the covers overboard.
When I deliver papers in the winter, though, it's a nice feature--I'm hypothermic by the time I get home, and it's nice to be able to snuggle into my self-made warm spot.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cherry View Post
Your "hot" is my "snuggly warm," I'd say. But there is a cloth cover over the foam, and then the sheet over that. It's not as though you're just millimeters off plastic.
So far I haven't thought my new latex mattress is any different from the old innerspring one.