How fast can you tap your finger -- a really meaningless little contest

I have been using this little online tool for finding out the beats per minute of my music. Then came my moment of genius – “Hmmm, how fast can I tap my finger?” So I tried.

I can sustain 400 taps per minute for about 10 seconds, and it goes down to around 360 pretty fast after that. I have held it in the 360 neighborhood for a couple of minutes, but basically I’ve stopped because of a combination of fatigue and boredom.

Give it a shot and report back.

450ish

I don’t know how long I was doing it, maybe 10 seconds, maybe a little less, maybe a little more. I got 644. I credit “Track and Field” for the old NES. I get fatigued quickly, of course.

Edit: Okay, I did it longer this time and got 556 taps per minute with a total of 382 total taps.

Started out flying with around 630 for the first 10-15 seconds. Dropped to 498 after 458 taps. I wish it would show how the speed drops over time.

Second attempt: Started around 730 - ended up with an average of 598 after 500 taps.

450 bpm with right index finger, 400 bpm with right middle or left index, 350 with left middle. I average about 120 APM in Starcraft 2.

I can keep about 510 bpm going for about 30-40 seconds, then it starts trailing off pretty rapidly.

Which doesn’t surprise me; I used to play a lot of Sega Genesis and Nintendo/Super Nintendo games when I was younger.

I managed to clock in about 670 with my right middle/index finger and 590 with my left middle/index finger consistently for more then 30 secs. Using my middle and index on my right hand i can tap 1000 times per minute.

Holy crap, that’s a bunch of speedy zombies.

I can manage maybe 330, on my good hand. Do people who suck at this just not post, or what?

Out of interest I got all my kids to do it too, in case youth is associated with speediness (nup)

Mind you, my daughter managed to get up to 1200. No prizes for guessing how. She may not be speedy, but she ain’t dumb…

Hehe first thing I tried too. Up to 1800 flailing all 8 fingers randomly on the keyboard. Only 400 max with one finger though.

One finger (index), I start at about 425, but quickly drop down below 400 and have to struggle to keep as high as 385.

Two fingers (index, middle), I get mid-600s.

Three fingers (ring, middle, index), mid-900s.

I can get about 650 for a little while, but after about 30 seconds, my average is 570.

I developed a technique when playing video games like track and field and ice hockey. Lock up your forearm and vibrate from the elbow. Let your finger bounce on the button. I still smash my kids whenever a game comes up that requires the technique in Mario Party haha.

450s with one finger. (ETA: That should be one finger, one key. I can, of course, get over 1000+ by using one finger and sliding over keys. :slight_smile: )

1905 with just one tap.

Two fingers (opposite hands) / two keys, approx 920

My name’s Kody Lakai and my average is between 900-1300. According to my bpm app. Also, I have tapped over 30,000 times consecutively and currently have a world record for fastest fingers you can check out on YouTube or Recordsetter. But I’m a skilled drummer so that probably has a lot to do with it.

I found with my left hand, I got 963.3, with 153 taps.
Right hand, I got 770.09 with 162 taps.
Single finger left hand I got 510.01 with 70 taps.
Single finger right hand I got 468.75 with 72 taps.

If you’re wondering, I am right hand dominate, I just play a rhythm game called osu which requires fast fingers.

Over 45 seconds or so…

Right hand 1 finger: 490-510

Left hand one finger: 480-490

My right hand starts high and the average falls while my left hand starts low and rises.

I got a average of over 800 taps a minute for 528 taps I got tired quick though

Taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap…

Braaaaaaiiinnnsssss…

Can sustain 450 for over a minute. Not a lot of variation. Ultimately this tells more about your device’s keyboard than the users finger.