Explain my Super Power

I can tell from sound alone whether the water poured from a kettle into a mug is hot or cold. The unboiled water makes more of a tinkling sound, while the boiled water sounds much duller. What is the mechanism for this?

Bonus points for suggesting a scenario where this power might benefit humanity. And if none can be found, does that make me a de-facto super-villain?

That would make you a rather useless member of the Justice League, admittedly. Not quite as useless as Aquaman of course, but: “Be careful, Superman ! My augmented senses tell me that coffee is boiling hot !” “…dude, you know I routinely swim inside the Sun, right ?”

It would make him Coffee Boy, able to know in a flash if that mug of coffee is going to need a few minutes in the microwave!

“Wait… that extremely dull sound… like computer programmer on Thorazine… cup can’t take… thermal shock… NOOOOOO!”

This seems related.

Though the effect seems almost opposite from what you describe: boiled water is generally thought to have fewer air bubbles than unboiled, and so it seems like boiled water should sound more “tinkly” than “dull”. So perhaps the effect is different.

What about boiled-but-cold water?

Good question, I might need to experiment a bit more to pin this down. I also wonder if it makes a difference if there is anything in the mug when I pour the water in. I have sugar in my tea and coffee, and that would dissolve much more slowly in cold water.

I suspect that it may be related to the way in which the liquid is poured. For cold water may be less worried about being splashed, and avoiding steam. Also vessel from which it is poured may be handled differently if it is hot.

I don’t think your going to win Randy’s million on this. However the great lakes avengers might have a place for you.

I think you were bitten by a radioactive thermocouple.

I think it may be viscosity.

The last time I poured myself a coffee and forgot to boil the kettle, the thing that struck me was how the water seemed almost “gloopy”. It just didn’t look right even before I noticed the lack of steam etc.

ETA: Viscosity does vary with temperature but I’ve no idea if the difference in the case of water is supposed to be perceptible or if – it’s a superpower!

It’s definitely not that, as at the time of pouring I was not aware the water was not hot, and it was the sound that was my first cue.

I think we need a double-blind experiment…

Oh! you’ve gotta do a few controlled experiments where someone pours various liquids at various temperatures and see how accurate you are. “184 deg F, earl grey”

OK, if you didn’t like that one, here is a second possibility. It may be that the air around the hot water has increased temperature and humidity. A quick google search picked of the following site which says

I’m also a bit skeptical that if you were pouring the water yourself that other clues as to the temperature of the water might not have subconsciously affected your opinion.

As an Alka-Seltzer, you should have an above average knowledge of water. Nothing unusual here at all.

Interesting idea.

That’s certainly possible, but it’s at the point of hearing the noise I’ve become conscious of it.

Too late! Your boiling water superhero slot is taken.

I’ve found two sites where people make the same observation as the OP.
And viscosity does seem a popular explanation (Mijin, you’re a genius!).

Nothing authoritative yet though.

You need to experiment with another person pouring the water and you blindfolded. And fast… The fate of the entire world is in your hands! Or um… ears.

It’s increasingly looking like micro-villiany is my only viable career choice. I will construct a trick kettle that gives the appearance of boiling but which pours from a hidden cold reservoir. I will sneak into people’s homes and reprogram their central heating systems, leave their fridge doors ajar, and turn on hob rings. That which should be cold will be hot, and that which should be hot will be cold. I shall call myself… KELVIN.

Thanks, I’ll have a play this evening. From memory, I think this does work with water that has boiled and then cooled (making it go flat), so I think viscosity is a more likely explanation than the amount of air dissolved in the water.

Experimenting with boiling water while blindfolded usually ends well.

Density and softness.

Boiling hot water is less dense than cold water (the densest water there is at sea level is liquid h20 at 4 Celcius), also, hotter solid matter tends to be softer than colder…both of which would change the acoustic signature of a poured liquid into a cup.