The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Boo!

View Poll Results: Is this costume TOO tasteless?
This costume is awful; don't do it! 57 38.51%
Tasteless but funny; go for it! 82 55.41%
Something else I will post below 9 6.08%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback everybody! I guess the answer is that almost no one will get my movie reference, so I need to decide if I'm ok going as Jackie Kennedy post assassination, since that's what everyone will think I am. Damn. I know all the funny lines from the movie too; I was going to have fun asking people if they used to eat chicken pot pie. Oh well! I guess it was a little meta.

The movie is on Netflix streaming by the way, so anyone who hasn't seen it (and has Netflix) should! I knew it wasn't super popular, but maybe it's even more obscure than I thought! I'm going to keep thinking on it; I feel like if even one person "gets" it, it will be totally worth it, but who knows.
Advertisements  
Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss elizabeth View Post
Thanks for the feedback everybody! I guess the answer is that almost no one will get my movie reference, so I need to decide if I'm ok going as Jackie Kennedy post assassination, since that's what everyone will think I am. Damn. I know all the funny lines from the movie too; I was going to have fun asking people if they used to eat chicken pot pie. Oh well! I guess it was a little meta.
You could just go as Jackie O, pre assassination but then have a Styrofoam cup (with rum and Pepsi) and a handgun. The people that have seen the movie would get it and you could talk about burying Dad out by the AC and make vague references about how close you are to your brother's ex-girlfriend.
The people who don't get it might wonder why Jackie O would have a handgun, but otherwise probably wouldn't give it a second thought.

ETA, seriously, one of my favorite movies, I watch it once every few years. And for someone that almost never watches a movie twice, that's saying a lot. There's only a handful of movies watch more then once and that's one of them (Vicki Cristina Barcelona is up there as well)

Last edited by Joey P; 09-26-2011 at 10:02 PM..
Old 09-26-2011, 10:15 PM

That's a pretty good idea.... especially the rum and pepsi.

But what if there's no ice?!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

How can we be out of ice?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
There is no such thing as too tasteless on Halloween. I saw people dressed up as terrorists at the Halloween right after 9/11, and although it was extremely tasteless, it wasn't too tasteless for Halloween. And that's about as tasteless as you can get. The whole point of Halloween is to be shocking, and gory, and all that fun shit.
Yup, I was one of those. Had a turban, fake beard, robe, and "767 flight manual" in my pocket.

Almost everyone had a laugh. For the few people that gave me crap, I had an answer prepared: "Halloween is all about dressing up as monsters in order to not fear them. Terrorism is about causing fear, so in fact my costume is about fighting terrorism". That shut everyone up .
Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 PM

I think a tasteful costume is a waste of time. The idea is hilarious. Is this an adult party? Because my experience is that costumed adults consuming the things adults tend to consume at costume parties, are much better at getting the joke as the evening goes on.

Last edited by TriPolar; 09-26-2011 at 11:34 PM..
Old 09-27-2011, 12:42 AM

I think it's more that people wouldn't get the references than that it's tasteless.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 AM

It isn't that it would be tasteless, but not that funny. Dr. Girlfriend is better.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:13 AM

It wouldn't be Halloween without a few tasteless costumes. Go for it, and post pics.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manduck View Post
If she used tomato sauce for the fake blood, along with the macaroni it would be tasty instead of tasteless.
Wouldn't that just be saucy?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 AM

You could still go as Jackie, pink dress and all, but instead of the macaroni and gore bring along a bunch of little brown paper bags. Every once in awhile stand behind JFK, pop one of them and have him jump straight up into the air.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss elizabeth View Post
People not quite getting it is part of the fun, in my opinion, as long as you find that one person who does. It's totally worth it to watch it click in their mind.

Of course, it's also fun to be something that should be obvious, but isn't, so that, when you tell people who ask, you get to see the expression.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:04 AM

Get an old varsity jacket from a High school from a thrift shop. Punch holes all through it & smear the edges with ketchup. Then at a fabric store get iron-on letters to spell out across the back "C-O-L-U-M-B-I-N-E". As accessories you can get a cheap machine gun toy from Toys R Us.
Bonus Points if you play "Pumped Up Kicks" through external speakers from an IPOD.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:46 PM

I don't see what's wrong with it, although I wouldn't get the movie reference. To me, it's no different than dressing up as someone with an ax through the head, or maybe the guy from The Shining who says to Wendy, "Great party!" or even Freddy Krueger (the difference between Jackie O and Freddy is Freddy's fictional, but lookit -- he's horribly burned and scarred, with great big gaping holes of flesh on his face, and he's wearing a glove full of knives).

And...Freddy's mask is sold to children....children!

So I wouldn't sweat a little ketchup and macaroni.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Not even close.

Wear a trash bag duct taped around your ankles and be Caylee Anthony
I bow in reverence.

Last edited by FriarTed; 09-28-2011 at 11:06 AM..
Old 09-29-2011, 07:08 PM

Went to a party in the mid 90's and a woman did this (before House of Yes). It was a huge hit and everyone loved it. But this was a party of 20- and 30-somethings in L.A. (minimal douchebaggery at this party). I think it depends on the predicted vibe of your party.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Moved from IMHO to Boo!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
It says a lot about me that I read pink suit and pillbox hat and thought of Dr. Girlfriend right away.
Me too.

You should ditch the pasta and get your boyfriend to spend his money and energy on looking like the Monarch.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude to Fascination View Post
I don't see what's wrong with it, although I wouldn't get the movie reference. To me, it's no different than dressing up as someone with an ax through the head, or maybe the guy from The Shining who says to Wendy, "Great party!" or even Freddy Krueger (the difference between Jackie O and Freddy is Freddy's fictional, but lookit -- he's horribly burned and scarred, with great big gaping holes of flesh on his face, and he's wearing a glove full of knives).

And...Freddy's mask is sold to children....children!

So I wouldn't sweat a little ketchup and macaroni.
I am not saying you don't have a point, but the fact that it is fictional does make a difference to me.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
Here I am.

*waving*

I'm him...
You're miss elizabeth's boyfriend?

What are you waiting for? Get working on your Monarch costume!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Sorry guys. I decided to ditch the Jackie-O costume. The hostess made an appalled face when I mentioned it. I was getting serious about Dr. Girlfriend, but while looking at people who make costumes on etsy I found someone making Marie Antoinette costumes with kickass wigs, so I spent a small fortune on that.

However! if anyone else is interested in being Dr. Girlfriend, there is a lady on etsy who really does amazing work. She's in the UK though, so get a move on! She does all the costumes Dr. Girlfriend has ever worn. I'm thinking the bf and I might do that next year, as a couple's thing, but as I said before, he already has one for this year. Thanks though!!