The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 10-04-2011, 09:20 AM

How do I keep my Ikea slat bed from falling?

sleepsleepsleepsleep *THUNK*

This is starting to make me crazy. I got a bed from Ikea- you know, one of the ones that uses slats instead of a boxspring. It's fine, except that the slightest move makes the slats on one side or another fall the the floor. I can't get through the night without at least minor bed failure, and Og fobid I have a guy friend over.

There has to be some solution.
Advertisements  
Old 10-04-2011, 09:24 AM

I drilled holes into the ends of the slats and the bed frame, and bolted them into place. They haven't budged since.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:25 AM

I take it the slats just rest on the frame? Couldn't you just drill a hole and secure the slats with wood screws onto the frame?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

There are small plastic pegs that you put at the head and the foot of the bed that keep the slats from moving around. It sounds like those are not installed.

See figure 17. You can pick up those pegs at your friendly local Ikea parts bin, near the area where you pick up large items.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:26 AM

Sound like either you've got the wrong size slats or haven't put the bed together properly? We have two IKEA beds with slats and have never had problems with either of them.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Additional thought: the slats are held together by two thin plastic strips that run the length of the bed. The strips should not be removed, they are crucial to holding everything in place even though they look like packing material. If the strips were removed, buy new slats.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
There are small plastic pegs that you put at the head and the foot of the bed that keep the slats from moving around. It sounds like those are not installed.
Those keep the slats 'stretched' fore-and-aft. It sounds to me as if the OP's slats are falling off the sides. That's my assumption anyway, since it happened to me when I got my Ikea bed 20 years ago (and still in great condition!). The problem is that the slats are just a little too short for the L-channels that run along the sides of the bed. I fixed this by putting a little spacer (I think I used a dowel) at the ends of the slats. Not all of them; just a few. This keeps the slats centered laterally, and they don't fall off.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by even sven View Post
I can't get through the night without at least minor bed failure, and Og fobid I have a guy friend over.
Its a test! If he can rock your world without dislodging any slats...hes a keeper
Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drachillix View Post
Its a test! If he can rock your world without dislodging any slats...hes a keeper
Does not compute.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drachillix View Post
Nah, the keeper is the one who buys a couple lengths of dowel and keeps the slats from falling no matter how vigorous he is.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 AM

Got the pegs...the problem is the slats are just a wee bit too small for the sides and can slip off. I bought the right size, but I may not have done an awesome job assembling the bed- though there are only so many ways you can screw up something that comes in like ten pieces.

I'll try making some spacers out of something. if that doesn't work, I guess I'll find a drill.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:42 AM

Flat slats will tend to stretch downward and eventually slip off the edges. Been there, done it, had some pretty funny sextime moments. No amount of shimming will actually fix the problem. Luckily, there is a simple solution. Go back to IKEA and buy the arched slats instead of the flat ones. $50 for "full" size. Problem solved.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60160217/

With the arched slats your body weight pushes the slats outward, making them tighter against the bedframe.

Last edited by Hello Again; 10-04-2011 at 10:45 AM..
Old 10-04-2011, 11:03 AM

One night my gf and I broke a bed slat (it sounded like a gunshot). It was near impossible to find a replacement. I would up replacing all of them using 2x4s that I ripped in half.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:38 PM

I will attach at least some of the slats with a wood screw to hold them in place. It might be worth it to have a sheet of plywood cut to fit over the slats as well.

From what I recall, you are in DC. Home Depot can cut pieces of wood to size for you. Frager's on Pennsylvania SE can do the same thing. There is an ACE Hardware on 5th Street NW that can do the same thing, I believe.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:33 PM

I will naively suggest perhaps screwing them in diagonally? It's what my dad did for my slat bed when I was a teen, and that helped a lot.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:47 PM

Using the instructions supplied by Ravenman as a guide, I would suggest that you get a strip of wood and place that below part 114291 (the strip that runs the length of the bed on each side) to give the slats something to rest on. An inch thick is probably enough
Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Screws and bolts are overkill, FWIW. All you need is a hole and something to put in it: a small nail will work fine and be much easier to take out if when you need to.

Protip: use box nails, not finishing nails.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 10-05-2011 at 05:54 PM..
Old 10-05-2011, 09:10 PM

http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/...ent=Topbmp.jpg

We build slat bed frames from time to time. We use a cleat attached to the side board like in the picture at the link. The slat then rests on the cleat and flush with the top of the side board.

It sounds like your slats are just a little to short. You can attach a wider cleat to each side board or another cleat to the existing one to build it out away from the sides.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:11 PM

I used a whole mess of zip ties when my Ikea slats wouldn't stay put.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 PM

Get metal reinforcing hardware from HD. You should be able to find something to fit the dimensions needed. I've used hinges, L-shaped reinforcers and flat steel plates. Pick up some short wood screws to attach the hardware to both the slats and the bed frame.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 AM

I think I fixed it.

I laid down cardboard over the whole thing, to keep the slats from moving around too much. Then I used a length of dowel on each side between the sideboard and the slats, so that the slats couldn't move from side to side.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:21 AM

IKEA beds have been the bane of my existence for over thirty years. Twelve finishing nails will do the trick, six on each side. Never fails. One in each corner, and the other four in the middle.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by even sven View Post
I think I fixed it.

I laid down cardboard over the whole thing, to keep the slats from moving around too much. Then I used a length of dowel on each side between the sideboard and the slats, so that the slats couldn't move from side to side.
That sounds like it should work unless the dowels roll off.

Or you can ask your next potential bed-slammer if he owns a power drill and would like to work on your bed before he works you on the bed.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

The dowels are between the side of the bed and the ends of the slats. There's no place for them to roll to.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
I will naively suggest perhaps screwing them in diagonally?
How would her orientation during intercourse keep the slats from falling out?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:18 PM

You go back to IKEA and buy the slats that are slightly arched upwards.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again View Post
You go back to IKEA and buy the slats that are slightly arched upwards.
You re-opened this thread to repeat something that was said almost two years ago (post #12)? Why?
Old 08-03-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
I will naively suggest perhaps screwing them in diagonally? It's what my dad did for my slat bed when I was a teen, and that helped a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
How would her orientation during intercourse keep the slats from falling out?

(bolding mine)

That might not help to keep the slats from falling out, but it might help to keep the frame from banging against the wall.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
You re-opened this thread to repeat something that was said almost two years ago (post #12)? Why?
Because I am an idiot.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Because I am an idiot.
All I can say is, I'm glad I haven't done anything silly like that.

For at least an hour now.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Because I am an idiot.
Well, your username IS Hello Again.