The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Boo!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:33 AM

Best Costumes Ever!

These threads have reminded me of some awesome costumes I've seen, and ones I've worn myself. I want to hear about your favorites, and what made them so great. Were they scary? Funny? Realistic? Elaborate? Simple? Store-bought? Homemade? Utterly inexplicable? Post pics if you've got 'em!

A couple I remember:

A girl at a party dressed as "acne". She wore beige sweats, and had sewn little pockets all over and stuffed them, so they puffed out like pimples. She'd colored them red. In a couple of the pockets, she cut a tiny hole in the center, and tucked a tube of Vaseline lip balm into it, so when she squeezed the pimple, "pus" would come out. Other pockets were "whiteheads" - she filled them with little white foam pellets, which would pop out when she squeezed them. It was hilarious and disgusting.

At the same party, there was a girl dressed as a Christmas tree, and her outfit was amazing. She looked like an actual Christmas tree, just with arms and a head on top. She had found a dark green ballgown at a thrift store, which had a really full skirt to give her the basic cone shape. She may have also had a hoop skirt underneath. Then, she sewed fake pine garland all over the dress, and made a headpiece out of a star tree-topper. Finally, she sewed on strings of Halloween-themed lights and ornaments: jack-o'-lanterns, skulls, and so on. Then, she plugged herself into the wall, and lit up! She wasn't terribly mobile, but she looked fantastic.

And there was one costume that was great not so much for its execution, but because of the idea. This was a different party, just a couple of years ago. A friend of a friend and his girlfriend had been together for many years, and had always hosted huge Halloween parties. I think they'd actually met at one; I can't recall. Anyway, that year, the guy dressed as "the obituaries". He wrote a bunch of funny obituaries and pasted them onto two pieces of foam core board, and wore that on his back and front. That was cute enough - but then, midway through the party, he stood up with his girlfriend and thanked everyone for coming every year and making their parties such a hit. Then, he started talking about his costume, and began to read one of the obituaries. It went something like, "[Girlfriend], 32, died of shock on October 31st when after many long and happy years together, her boyfriend finally proposed to her..." Then he pulled out a ring, and everyone freaked out, and the girlfriend did look like she was about to have a heart attack. She had clearly had no idea. It was really sweet.
Advertisements  
Old 10-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Some of my favorites that I've done:

The constellation Orion. This mostly involved wearing black with a bunch of LEDs wired up on my body.

Great A'Tuin a couple of years ago. I made up a cardboard carapace and plastrum, covered with green-tinted moonscapes, and with four toy elephants fixed to the back supporting a Disc.

A Newton's Cradle-- You know, those desk toys with the steel balls hanging in a row.

For costumes I've seen others do:

At the department Halloween party a few years ago, the custodian showed up wearing a gray sweatsuit inside-out, with bits of shredded cotton balls all over it, plus a pair of rabbit ears. She was a dust bunny.

At the same party, one of the grad students had a 1950s B-movie robot costume that was just perfect, all homemade. He probably did a better job on it than most of the actual B-movie robots.

And a couple years ago, another grad student decided that she wanted to go with the nerdiest Halloween costume she could think of, so she went as me.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:08 PM

My uncle went to a party as a bag of weed (back then, kids, we called them "lids").
He dyed overalls darkish green and wrapped a giant plastic bag around himself in a cylindrical shape. It looked a lot better than it sounds.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:03 PM

I went as the man from the Operation Game.

I got a pair of white pajamas and white shirt (tried to find pink, but couldn't) and died them pink.

I then had a friend help me cut out the various body parts using craft foam. The parts were then attached using double sided velcro tape. And the rubber band was hooked on with two small pieces of a wooden dowel which were each glued to the fabric.

I took a large pair of barbecue tongs to act as the forceps.

And I wired up a buzzer using a couple of batteries, a push button, and a door buzzer all acquired from Radio Shack.

Add a light up nose (either automatic, or for even better authenticity, wire it up to the buzzer as well) and some fake money, use card stock and draw the body parts on them as in the game, and have people interact with your costume trying to pull the body parts off with the tongs without bumping the costume, which will result in you pushing the button and buzzing them.

This costume works much better for single people, of course. I wore it on a pub crawl in Chicago that peaked at 500 or so participants, and it was decided by the organizers that I had one of the top 5 costumes.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
I went as the man from the Operation Game.
That sounds fantastic! Please tell me you have pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Great A'Tuin a couple of years ago.
This too!

Last edited by Heart of Dorkness; 10-05-2011 at 03:30 PM..
Old 10-05-2011, 05:12 PM

I didn't witness it personally but the guy who built a life-size "luke skywalker on the back of a tauntaun" costume takes the cake for best costume of all time.

http://www.cockeyed.com/incredible/g...tauntaun.shtml
Old 10-06-2011, 07:54 AM

I went to a costume party in 1992, the 500th anniversary of Columbus reaching the "New World." One family had the father dressed as Columbus, the mother dressed as Queen Isabella, and their three daughters as the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria. The mother made the costumes. They were awesome!

Another costume I saw in a magazine was a girl dressed as the floor of a movie theater. She wore a black leotard and tights with candy wrappers and popcorn bags attached.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:18 AM

You know those creepy faceless dolls that stand in the corner? I saw a picture on the Internetz of a guy dressed as a priest with one of those dolls stuck facing his crotch.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:43 AM

Some years ago the GF (now wife) and I went to a costume contest at a local watering hole. I dressed as the grim reaper – pretty standard black shroud, drawn-on skeletonized deathshead, and a real antique scythe I borrowed from a local feed store, complete with 30” blade. But the very special effect was the live turkey vulture named Soar that I carried on my gloved hand. At the “cover charge” desk the guy looked at the blade, then at the vulture, then at the blade, again at the vulture, and said “Well, you can’t take both of those inside.” So I gave him the scythe to hold and took Soar to the bar. I perched him on the edge of the bar and ordered us both Scotch. The drunken clientele would stumble over to the empty seat next to me, pull it out, and come face to face with a live, bright red, nekkid bird face attached to a big, black bird body. (Ever seen a turkey vulture up close?) Soar wasn’t especially friendly to strangers, and he would snap his beak and ruffle his wings at them. Mostly they stumbled quickly away, muttering about getting off the bad booze and such.

GF dressed as Quetzalcoatl, the “feathered serpent” god. Part of the costume was a living necklace consisting of a cooperative ball python. (Named Junior, if anybody cares.) The snake’s tail firmly encircled her neck, and his head hung down and rested comfortably between her breasts. The costume was pretty revealing, and she got lots of attention, especially drunks sticking their faces into her chest. They’d pretend to be conversational while bringing their noses closer and closer to her cleavage. Watching as they first noticed the snake’s tongue-flicking, then became more and more aware of the live, in person and literally in-your-face reality of her cold blooded choker, was really special. The effect was enhanced as Junior would extend himself outward toward their faces, and increase the tempo of the tongue-flicks, checking to see if there was perhaps a rat flavored snack in the offing. Then he might hiss and strike (operating on the nothing ventured, nothing eaten theory, I guess). Mostly the guys screamed and fell over backwards.

Damn, I wish I had pictures!

We would have easily won the contest, but we got there too late. The judging was held earlier than planned because the judges were (surprise!) getting too drunk to remember what they were supposed to be judging. It didn’t matter much, since the prize was fifty bucks and we both got far beyond that in value of free drinks. I didn’t pay for a single one all night. Whenever the bartender or waitress asked for payment, I’d gesture toward Soar and say “My partner’s taking care of that.” No one, but no one, tried to get money out of Soar. And the GF did equally well, since a slurred “Can I buy you a drink?” was the usual preamble to an inspection of her frontal anatomy. Good times! We’ve got to reprise this some year.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart of Dorkness View Post
That sounds fantastic! Please tell me you have pictures!
My camera was busted at the time, so the only pictures are ones others took. I can try to find some of them out in the flotsam of the Intarwebs. IIRC, there were only about one or two of them in total anyway, unfortunately.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Now that Dendarii Dame mentions family costumes, I should also add that I once saw a couple dressed as Mr. and Mrs. Potato-Head, with their baby dressed as an order of French fries.

And like Hoopy, I don't have any pictures of the A'tuin costume myself, but I still have the costume. I'll try to see if I can set up a tripod and take a few.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

One year I built a "Robocop" suit out of posterboard, ductape and spray paint that was pretty damn cool.

Another year I went as a Nazgul from Lord Of The Rings, good times.

One of my favorite years I went as Darth Maul. I called myself Darth Maulion.

I love Halloween.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM

I'm excited about working on my son-in-law's costume for this Halloween for the haunted woods we're working. He's very black, 6'8", and about 300 pounds, and I'm turning him into Baron Samedi. He's going to be very scary. I'm going as Marie Laveau, and have to get working on that, too.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Wasn't Halloween but Mardi Gras in New Orleans. I was wandering in the vicinity of One Shell Square when I happened upon a young woman dressed as an anthromorphic silver unicorn. Single horn on her forehead and hundreds of silver sequins covering what I assume was a leotard. Shiny!

Wish I had a camera with me.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 PM

A few years ago I went to a friend's house party on Halloween. I knew almost everyone there, except for one person: someone dressed in a dinosaur costume (think Barney, but green). Kinda cool, but what really made it memorable was the fact that nobody knew who was inside. He/she didn't speak a word, never removed his/her dinosaur head, and limited communication to expressive gestures, lots of hugs, and dancing.

To this day we still don't know the dinosaur's identity.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

OK, I really did try to get a picture of my A'Tuin costume, but my camera is complaining that the batteries are dead (my multimeter begs to differ).
Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 PM

My personal favorite is Father Krang, of the Klingon Catholic Church.

I wear a klingon head piece with a cheap priest robe costume.

Repent AND Die!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:04 PM
B. O. B. O. D. D. Y.

Are sentimental stories okay?

My favorite costume ever was from a pattern. See, my mom is great at sewing, and every year she used to take us to the fabric store to go through all the pattern books and pick out our costumes. We had some amazing ones over the years that were much beloved, including some rather brilliant improvisations by Mom (one year, my sister went as our family's golden retriever). My favorite, though, was from when I was around 12.

At that time, I was still pretty much hugely into toys, particularly Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. You could get those crappy plastic costumes for ninja turtles then, but sadly there was no pattern to be found. So, I decided to go my own way. I wouldn't be a ninja turtle, I would be a wholly independent and original creation called the Samurai Frog. It was this exact pattern, except I added a black vinyl belt ala TMNT, plus a plastic katana.

Now, I thought this was among the most awesome things ever, so not only did I whip this out on Halloween, but I also wove stories about the Samurai Frog into playtime. We got a camcoder at home around this time so I started writing elaborate adventures for Samurai Frog. His two nemeses were my sisters' Halloween costumes that year: Bobby Soxer SisterA, and Fairy SisterB. (Threatening, I know!) The evil fairy and bobby soxer were constantly plotting to destroy the noble frog. We did all kinds of horrible dialog and cheesy effects, and we watched and re-watched them countless times afterward.

Anyway, it was great fun and among our favorite videotaped homemade shows, so we kept the costume. The cool thing was it kept sort of reappearing in our collective lives since then through all kinds of things. Now keep in mind, while I was 12, I was a big kid and this was an adult-sized costume anyway (and, at the time, was huuuge on me).

We took it with us when we moved across the country, lost the ninja gear from the costume, used it regularly in school projects and presentations. After a few times, it wasn't just us, either -- people would ask to borrow it. We started lending it out several times every school year, and kids without a costume often borrowed it at Halloween, too. It got passed around a lot.

Later, by the time I was off in college, someone had the idea of using it in the local Madrigal Dinner production for our high school. The script required a dragon costume, which nobody had, and was really beyond the budget at the time. Originally, the plan was to re-use portions of the costume and try to make a re-worked head, but they found that wearing the original frog costume was so funny they used it as a joke. "Lo, sir Knight, you will have to face.... the fearsome Dragon!" And out the frog would come, looking baggy and hang-dog, to an enormous audience laugh. This got used for years after... even after my sister in vocal music graduated, too.

Finally, some years later, shortly after my sister tired of dealing with the hassle of the costume every year, we started doing these epic Halloween parties. Since then it has been classified as the Costume of Shame. If you arrive without even the barest attempt at a costume (our invitations clearly indicate that costumes are absolutely mandatory), you must wear the frog costume. Usually, this befalls some young man who thinks very highly of himself, and doesn't want to cover up all of his awesomeness with some costume. After being cordoned off by several drunken, costumed women, and lectured on the rules of the house, they usually cave. Much hilarity and picture-taking ensues.

I'm sure we'll be digging out that costume for many years to come. Perhaps, if I am very lucky, I shall be buried in it. *wipes away tear*
Old 10-09-2011, 03:17 AM

I was reasonably pleased with the way this one turned out, though looking at the picture it needs a bit more stuffing in the chest and arms. If I really get ambitious I'll rig up a fake hand that I can operate from within the pocket.

And someday I'd like to get a long sheet of white foam rubber and do this.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I was reasonably pleased with the way this one turned out,
That, sir, is brilliant!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

This year I'll be flying Denver to join old friends for a huge Halloween party. I am putting together a rather nifty steampunk ensemble (I think). The final touch will be the Tesla-esque flashlight I'm building, wish me luck.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAV25 View Post
That, sir, is brilliant!
Thank you.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
If I really get ambitious I'll rig up a fake hand that I can operate from within the pocket.
So... a robot arm?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:22 PM

One year I wore all blue--clothes, lipstick, eye makeup--and festooned myself with tampons and maxi-pads, and went as "Picasso's Blue Period."
Old 10-10-2011, 09:09 PM

As a graduate student in history, I went to the department party wearing a lab coat and a stethoscope. I was a Real Doctor. It was an excellent litmus test for determining who had a sense of humour, and who had a stick up their ass.

Last year was a cowboy hat (worn backwards, if anybody could tell), a plaid shirt worn backwards, jeans (that would have been worn backwards if they fit that way, but didn't), and boots. A nametag fastened onto the back of my shirt read "Reverse." I was Reverse Cowgirl. It was a hit.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:34 PM

Me from a few years back.

Link

And probably what I'll be doing this year as well.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

OK, that's freaky, but what is it?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Sorry to bump, but I finally managed to get some pictures of my Great A'Tuin costume. I didn't bother to attach all of the strings that hold it on, so I have to hold it in place with my hand, and I didn't bother to put on the flippers, but I got a shot of two of them separately.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

You're going as "connection timed out"? Cool.

(Or is it just me?)
Old 10-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Try this link, maybe.

And I'm not going as that; that was a couple of years ago.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

I'm hoping there's some subtle physics joke in here somewhere. You know what you're going as but you're not sure how fast you'll make the costume? Nah.

Maybe it's only temporary. Downforeveryoneorjustme.com:
Quote:
It's not just you! http://cassandra.physics.montana.edu looks down from here.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Sorry to bump, but I finally managed to get some pictures of my Great A'Tuin costume. I didn't bother to attach all of the strings that hold it on, so I have to hold it in place with my hand, and I didn't bother to put on the flippers, but I got a shot of two of them separately.
Flippers?

You should have been riding around on a turtle.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
A Newton's Cradle-- You know, those desk toys with the steel balls hanging in a row.
WOW! now you gotta tell me: how did you do that?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Papier mache balls covered in aluminum foil. Two had holes in them to fit over my legs, and four more were hanging on string from my arms.

And Projammer, I was the turtle. The Discworld has just one, not the infinite stack.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:06 PM

We did our kid up as a spider, by sewing extra arms on a spider-themed coat & also sewing on some googly eyes - and giving him a spider-basket for candy. Here he is with his cousins, also in costume:

Old 10-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Oh, no, his cousin got stuck to him!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:26 PM

My best costume ever was a duo with my wife (then, GF - we had just started going out) many years ago - I worked on it for a long time, and so did she (this was for a costume party for a group or artistic types where everyone took making their own costume very seriously).

It was a full-on Samurai warrior outfit, with samurai armour made of cardboard, wire, duct tape, and epoxy putty (then painted). I got some decorative cording and tassels for threading the armour together. A samurai sword I carved out of wood, then painted.

She had a Gesha outfit - I found an awesome kimono in a used clothing store for cheap (actually, that inspired the whole idea); she researched the hairstyle, did the makeup, etc.

It looked awesome if I do say so myself ... unfortunately, this long predates the era of digital photography, and the only pics I have are polaroids. I'm getting 'em digitized, but it will take some weeks.

Considering the costumes at that party though, it was only par for the course. One particularly memorable one the previous year was a guy who made a full space warrior outfit out of molded plastic, covered with working electrical gagetry that lit up and did stuff when he pressed buttons on his sleeve - that one was seriously professional-grade.

The "rules" were that you had to be in a handmade costume and it had to be non-lame or you weren't getting in, no matter how good friends you were with the host or anyone. Result was some seriously amazing work. That happened a few years in a row - great fun while it lasted.

One girl who wanted in but had no costume prepared asked my friend and I to *paint* her costume on, and got in that way. We did a good job too I thought, an Aztec design.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:06 PM

I knew a couple of girls in college who did Halloween one year dressed up as Hattie and Sybil. "No mama, not the button-hook!"
Old 10-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

I remember a girl years ago went as the universe. Skin-tight black leotard, black make-up and stars and galaxies painted all over her body. About an hour later I realized she was totally nude! She had painted her entire body to look that way, wow.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:50 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-atIOQfXBE...on+Costume.jpg
Old 10-30-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluiddruid View Post
Finally, some years later, shortly after my sister tired of dealing with the hassle of the costume every year, we started doing these epic Halloween parties. Since then it has been classified as the Costume of Shame. If you arrive without even the barest attempt at a costume (our invitations clearly indicate that costumes are absolutely mandatory), you must wear the frog costume. Usually, this befalls some young man who thinks very highly of himself, and doesn't want to cover up all of his awesomeness with some costume. After being cordoned off by several drunken, costumed women, and lectured on the rules of the house, they usually cave. Much hilarity and picture-taking ensues.

I'm sure we'll be digging out that costume for many years to come. Perhaps, if I am very lucky, I shall be buried in it. *wipes away tear*
This is great! I'm hoping I'll eventually whip up a funny costume in a similar manner, but I also love the idea of the Costume of Shame.