The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 10-09-2011, 10:58 AM

Bestest OTC sleep aid?

What is the best over the counter sleep aid?

Thanks.
Advertisements  
Old 10-09-2011, 11:23 AM

Nice user name/OP, btw.

Melatonin, melatonin, melatonin. I am about 230lbs, male in my fifties. I have always had trouble sleeping and have used everything from narcotics, to booze, to herbal and meditation techniques and hands down Melatonin is the best, most effective and most reliable. a single 3 mg pill, disolved under the tongue and 15 minutes later I am out like a light, for the night and wake up with no drug hang over or fuzzy mindedness.

It is the natural sleep hormone your body uses to shut down, its non habit forming, and doesn't have problems with developing tolerance (I've actually reduced my dose from 5 mg to 3mg).
Its fairly cheap too, a 3 month supply is about $8-10.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Another vote for melatonin. Trader Joe's has a chewable version that's actually yummy. I take just 500 mcg and it never fails me.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:29 AM

Try a product called Calms. You can get it though Amazon. My cousin turned me on to it. I was very pesimistic, but it works nice for me. I use it maybe a few times a month when things are going nuts and my brain won't shut down.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:56 AM

I've never found melatonin to work for me. What I have found that does work great is doxylamine, or generic Unisom. Puts me right out, every time. It can be around $10 for 32 pills in some places, but I get it at Fry's Food and Drug (a Kroger store) for $4 and change. Can't beat that with a stick.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:03 PM

Here's another thread where we've discussed sleep aids and melatonin.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:59 PM

For the rare occasion when I'm going to know I won't be able to sleep (specific intervals of job-related stress), two benadryl knocks me right out. It's not something I'd try for an ongoing problem, however.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Unisom or Benadryl work very well for me. Last night I took some Benadryl because I had about 8 times as much caffeine as I normally do in a day, and I knew I'd have trouble falling asleep. Worked like a charm. I have some Ambien CR, but I can't really say it works better than the Unisom (doxylamine) for me. (I'm not one of those who collapses 30 minutes after taking Ambien. It helps me sleep, but I can still wake up if I need to.)

Melatonin seemed, if anything, to make things worse for both my husband and me. But we only tried it one night.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:38 PM

I'm sorry, but there is no such thing as an effective OTC sleep aid. The closest thing, IMO, is Nyquil; and that is only because the stuff is basically liquor.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
I'm sorry, but there is no such thing as an effective OTC sleep aid. The closest thing, IMO, is Nyquil; and that is only because the stuff is basically liquor.

Cite that there's no effective OTC sleep aid? There are countless threads on this board with many posters stating that there are things that have helped them. If you haven't found anything that helps you, fine, but you can't just say that there aren't any that help anyone.

And alcohol is not an effective sleep aid, as it has been proven to cause insomnia for many people.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
For the rare occasion when I'm going to know I won't be able to sleep (specific intervals of job-related stress), two benadryl knocks me right out. It's not something I'd try for an ongoing problem, however.
I use benadryl also, as needed. But I've found you can't use it every night because your body builds a tolerance to the sedation effect pretty quickly if used a few nights in a row.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:16 PM

A few months back someone on the Dope mentioned taking a combination of melatonin and valerian root.
I swear by it now, it feels like the valerian root calms my nervous brain.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:24 PM

Unisom works well for me, but I wake up with a headache.

Recently I have using Tylenol PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice The Goon View Post
Cite that there's no effective OTC sleep aid? There are countless threads on this board with many posters stating that there are things that have helped them. If you haven't found anything that helps you, fine, but you can't just say that there aren't any that help anyone.

And alcohol is not an effective sleep aid, as it has been proven to cause insomnia for many people.
I meekly ask for your forgiveness darling; I did indeed forget to include the disclaimer, "in my humble opinion" at the outset of my post. And I'm sure there are as many (if not more) anecdotal tales of alcohol being an effective sleep aid as there are for OTC sleep aid being effective. But anecdotal tales are all we are talking about here.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I meekly ask for your forgiveness darling; I did indeed forget to include the disclaimer, "in my humble opinion" at the outset of my post. And I'm sure there are as many (if not more) anecdotal tales of alcohol being an effective sleep aid as there are for OTC sleep aid being effective. But anecdotal tales are all we are talking about here.
Strong alcohol is, in my opinion, as effective as any other over the counter sleeping aid - that is, it will work well for many people, not at all for many more, and actually prevent sleep for a few.

It's much more pleasant than taking a tablet, so I'll stick with it.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:08 PM

Melatonin doesn't do a thing for me. Diphenhydramine only does if I take a double dose and even then it's iffy. Doxylamine (generic Unisom) works every time I take it. Unfortunately, last time I bought some pills, I forgot which ones work. I now have 50-something Diphenhydramine. Ugh.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steophan View Post
Strong alcohol is, in my opinion, as effective as any other over the counter sleeping aid - that is, it will work well for many people, not at all for many more, and actually prevent sleep for a few.

It's much more pleasant than taking a tablet, so I'll stick with it.
Ahem...As I was saying, anecdotes.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 10-09-2011 at 07:24 PM..
Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 PM

Doxylamine also works well for me. Unfortunately, it works so well that it makes me drowsy the following day, which sort of defeats the purpose.

If Melatonin were legal in Australia, I'd give it a go. Local health food stores have tried to sell me homeopathic melatonin. They didn't get it when I said I'd just have a drink of water instead.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:38 PM

I'm sort of a connosiuer (Jesus, I hate that word, because I can NEVER spell it, OR its ONLY synonym, afficionado) of sleep aids. I love the feeling of falling asleep, that feeling right before I actually fall asleep, and especially the feeling of sort of being half-asleep and half-awake. There are many different varieties of pre-sleep feelings. I find that the best one comes from a combination of Xanax, Melatonin, and a small dose of Nyquil with Dextromethorphan. You should ONLY do this if you do not have to do anything the next day, because you will sleep for a long time. Xanax, of course, is not over the counter though. But there are other ways to get close to the same effect. Several (3 to 5) capsules of valerian will produce a similar effect when mixed with a larger dose of Nyquil. Ambien (also not over the counter, I know) will give you very mild dissociative hallucinations if you deliberately stay up.

The best OTC sleep aid, in my opinion, is melatonin. I regularly take 3mg of melatonin before bed and have been doing so for years. I only mix it with the other stuff recreationally and only when the next day is clear.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 PM

Another vote for melatonin. It doesn't "knock me out", but if I take one at about 10PM, I'll be asleep by midnight. Otherwise I'd have to wait until at least 8AM the next day to even start feeling sleepy, a time when I'm busy working with heavy machinery.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:32 PM

Yet another vote for melatonin.

jabiru - it's illegal in Australia? Why?

I only get a cold or bug once every 3-4 years, but Night Time TheraFlu, with its steamy, lemony goodness, really knocks me out. I know this because I am just getting over a nasty "bug" and have relied on drinking one or two mugs of it before bed to sleep through the night.

Alcohol has never worked as a sleep aid for me, personally.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Never discount the placebo effect.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-mso121004.php

Now alcohol, while it can some measurable negative effects on the quality of sleep, it also does have measurable effects on the ability to get to sleep. This is the obstacle facing many people having sleeping problems; getting to sleep in the first place.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 10-09-2011 at 08:47 PM..
Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 PM

Actually when I have problems with sleeping, it's the inability to stay asleep that's the issue. I can always fall asleep no problem. But then I start waking up repeatedly after about 2 hours and basically spend the rest of the night hovering between sleeping fitfully, reading and staring at the ceiling.

About 15 years ago - first and last time I got a scrip for sleeping pills - the doc prescribed something that didn't kick in until 3-4 hours after I took it, so it really worked to get me sleeping through the night and I didn't feel groggy in the morning.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:02 PM

I use melatonin too (6 - 10 mg), or Nyquil.

I remember back when I used to combine alcohol (I had a problem) and Unisom (100mg). More then a few times I woke up because I had stopped breathing. Scary.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:33 PM

I use dyphenhydramine. Preferably without the Tylenol part, since that's not necessary. The other kinds out there do nothing for me, and melatonin gives me wild dreams that wake me up...at which point I am WIDE awake and spend another couple hours trying to go back to sleep. Dyphenhydramine gives me no morning hangover; in fact, it wears off after a couple few hours, for me. Which isn't a problem, as staying asleep is not one of my issues, it's just turning off my brain that is.

Last edited by Taomist; 10-09-2011 at 09:33 PM..
Old 10-09-2011, 09:43 PM

Surprised to see all the votes for melatonin. During a bout of bad insomnia, I poked around the medical lit and it seemed like melatonin hadn't performed at all in trials and had a reputation for making people groggy without doing much for "healthy" sleep. Might need to reevaluate.

I've tried most sleep aids. I currently take Valerian, and I feel like it helps despite having a suspicion it's mostly placebo effect.

When I can't sleep, Benedryl has been a lifesaver. Two little pink pills will reliably get me to sleep at the worst, even if I've done something idiotic like drink a quart of black tea after dinner. One is plenty if I'm just feeling restless.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Yet another vote for melatonin.

jabiru - it's illegal in Australia? Why?
It's been approved recently (ie in the last couple of years) but only for certain categories of people, I believe and only on prescription. I haven't looked into it because I'd rather toss and turn for hours every night than wait in the doctor's waiting room but I think one of the prescription criteria is for people over 55 (yes) but only for short-term use (three weeks). I don't know why those particular rules are in force but I think if I got a script for melatonin (after waiting etc ...) and it worked, I'd feel thoroughly cheated that I could only have it for three weeks.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabiru View Post
It's been approved recently (ie in the last couple of years) but only for certain categories of people, I believe and only on prescription. I haven't looked into it because I'd rather toss and turn for hours every night than wait in the doctor's waiting room but I think one of the prescription criteria is for people over 55 (yes) but only for short-term use (three weeks). I don't know why those particular rules are in force but I think if I got a script for melatonin (after waiting etc ...) and it worked, I'd feel thoroughly cheated that I could only have it for three weeks.
http://www.australiandoctor.com.au/news/85/0c01c185.asp

Quote:
Melatonin tablets are not widely available in Australia but amounts for individual use may be imported from overseas
It's not illegal to have, it's just got limits on who can sell it over here. If you're importing for personal use, you can do so. It's likely you can get much better prices on something like that from a US or other overseas source than you'd get in a pharmacy/health shop over here anyway.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steophan View Post
Yeah, unfortunately that's what works best for me too. Antihistamines *sometimes* work but rarely. Melatonin didn't help. Neither have the various things my psychiatrist prescribed: Trazadone, Gabapentin, and Seroquel.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:44 PM

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) does nothing for me, although I recall that it used to.

I don't know if any states that have medical marijuana have approved it for insomnia, but if your state has, OP, it works wonders in putting people to sleep.

Benzos are great for getting to sleep, but I'm not sure if 1/2 to 1 daily long-term would cause problems or not.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Benadryl (diphenhydramine) does nothing for me, although I recall that it used to.

I don't know if any states that have medical marijuana have approved it for insomnia, but if your state has, OP, it works wonders in putting people to sleep.

Benzos are great for getting to sleep, but I'm not sure if 1/2 to 1 daily long-term would cause problems or not.
Benzodiazopines are very addictive.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:

I realize, but does one half or one a day really cause concern? I used to take it just to sleep, for several months, and I don't recall starting to jones for more, or having any problems when I stopped.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:10 AM

AVOID Benzos like the f-ing plague!!!

Quote:
Quote:
THIS!

Quote:
I realize, but does one half or one a day really cause concern? I used to take it just to sleep, for several months, and I don't recall starting to jones for more, or having any problems when I stopped.
Maybe you are lucky, maybe you can handle your benzos, also depends very much on which of the 20+ different benzos you use. Benzos are seriously addictive! May be useful for anxiety, or for sleep, but only for very short term, NOT for chronic long-term usage!!!. (Most descriptions say only a few weeks, MAX.) They can be tougher than all f*cking shit to kick! Often said to be tougher to quit than heroin. Can cause maximally obnoxious withdrawal syndrome, and for a truly lucky few this can last for over a year, up to two years or even more.

Some benzos are more addictive than others. The shorter the half-life, the worse. Xanax is said to be really really bad. Valium, not so much but still bad enough. Klonopin, in between. Not sure about Ativan. There are many others too.

Been there. I don't ever want to touch benzos again, damned toxic brain poisons they are!

See: http://www.benzo.org.uk/

Last edited by Senegoid; 10-10-2011 at 12:12 AM..
Old 10-10-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I think that would depend on the individual. Clearly you had no issue using it for quite a while. I was prescribed something like a ten-day supply of xanax a few years ago (precisely for sleeping difficulties) and I remember how much I loved going to bed when I took those. I know if I were to use a benzo for a prolonged period, even at a small dosage, I'd most likely develop some sort of problem with it. Of all the drugs I've ever been prescribed, and there have been many (often in very liberal amounts), it has only ever been sleeping/anxiety medications that have had the potential to turn into dependence/addiction issues. Ambien is also one such drug.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 10-10-2011 at 12:14 AM..
Old 10-10-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
THIS!

Maybe you are lucky, maybe you can handle your benzos, also depends very much on which of the 20+ different benzos you use. Benzos are seriously addictive! May be useful for anxiety, or for sleep, but only for very short term, NOT for chronic long-term usage!!!. (Most descriptions say only a few weeks, MAX.) They can be tougher than all f*cking shit to kick! Often said to be tougher to quit than heroin. Can cause maximally obnoxious withdrawal syndrome, and for a truly lucky few this can last for over a year, up to two years or even more.

Some benzos are more addictive than others. The shorter the half-life, the worse. Xanax is said to be really really bad. Valium, not so much but still bad enough. Klonopin, in between. Not sure about Ativan. There are many others too.

Been there. I don't ever want to touch benzos again, damned toxic brain poisons they are!

See: http://www.benzo.org.uk/

Oookay...

::slowly backs away from the thread::
Old 10-10-2011, 01:55 AM

An orgasm usually works for me.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Don't feel bad. I have a bottle of 2.0 mg of Klonopin on my dresser. I have epilepsy and have taken it on/off for the last five years. There is no addiction (other then "don't take this for ages and then drop off lest you want a seizure"), no jonesing, no issue.

I think if you need a drug, you will react properly to it. If you don't need a drug, you're more likely to develop an issue.

that's my .02.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:23 AM

It would be interesting to know if there is any recommendation for my specific sleep problems. I generally fall asleep easily and then get up to pee in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. Last night, for example, I turned the light out before 11, fell asleep immediately and was up by 4, unable to get back to sleep. Five hours of sleep is just not satisfying.

Alcohol only makes this problem worse; when the effects wear off, I am fully awake. From what I've read melatonin helps you fall asleep, but that's not my problem. I recall how my grandmother took larger and larger doses of sleeping pills and have avoided any kind of pill.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:22 AM

There's a time release version of Melatonin, you might give that a try.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:27 PM
BANNED

For general, non-anxiety-related sleep problems (in my layman's assessment) I use the antihistamine doxylamine (brand name Unisom). But after months of using it, it's started to make me groggy after a night splent sleeping fewer than 8 hours, so I've discontinued, largely.

My mother told me she started with Valerian, and it seems to work for her, but I wouldn't know personally.

Non-OTC, a few mg of Xanax (Alprazolam) helps calm my brain down without hangover-like side-effects (for me). I just saw my GP last week and he intimated that a number of people use alprazolam as a sleep aid, to no (apparent) ill effects.

Booze in small, careful quantities, but that's a fine line between drinking to help fall asleep (perhaps with some OVALTINE!??!!!) and simply passing out and waking up dehydrated and angry .
Old 10-12-2011, 02:39 PM

2 capsules of L-Tryptophan.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:48 PM

Eh - I've had lackluster results with melatonin. 3 mg puts me out readily enough, but I always wake up a couple hours later.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:10 PM

Sleep medication is typically very addictive and should be taken with extreme caution. Even with OTC meds, I would recommend talking to a doctor unless you only need it for the occasional night, such as before a job interview or an early wake up or something.

To me, the most effective remedy against sleep issues is exercise. One of the reasons we have such problems sleeping is our sedentary lifestyle doesn't make us as tired as our bodies have evolved to expect to be.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:02 PM

Thanks for this thread, Foggy - I nearly started an identical thread myself, as I am visiting the US and was wondering if there were things I could bring back home with me that I was unaware of (the answer seems to be "yes" as I did not know about Unisom, which I will try to pick up).

My 2 cents on everything mentioned:

Melatonin: it doesn't really seem to work for me, but I take it sometimes anyway hoping for a placebo effect. I *may* sleep slightly better, in that I still wake up rather alertly every 1-2 hours but possibly it is easier to get back to sleep quickly.

Valerian: great stuff, works well but gently - and the vivid dreams are a bonus, as someone else said in another SDMB thread on this topic. I take it 2-3 times/month.

Alcohol: great to fall asleep but doesn't keep you there; causes sleeplessness throughout the night.

Benadryl/Tylenol PM/anything with diphenhydramine:
NO EFFING WAY!!! I have an idiosyncratic reaction, or whatever they call it - it leaves me twitchy, anxious, wide-awake, and miserable.

Benzos: In my experience, Klonopin is not an evil addictive substance. it used to be (not anymore) that you could get Rivotril (same as Klonopin) over the counter in Indonesia, where I live, if you asked nicely. In 2002, I got some pills of 2 mg each. I only wanted to take a dose of .25mg, but since I couldn't cut that fine I ended up taking a dose of .5 mg whenever I needed it. Those pills lasted me nine years - sometimes I'd go weeks without taking one. I was always careful - my rule was "never more than 2 nights in a row, never more than 3 times in one week". If I wanted to take some but would break those rules by doing so, I didn't do it. So I never felt any addiction; for me it was more like a desirable sweet dessert: you enjoy it, but if you care about yourself you know that it would be stupid to overindulge.

Before I rush out and buy the Unisom - can anyone tell me if it is chemically similar to diphenhydramine? Because if it is, forget it. I don't need that agony.

One other suggestion not mentioned above: Humulus Lupulus. In Egypt, this is available in combination with valerian as an OTC sleep aid called "Dormival." Does it work on its own? I can't say, as the capsules are combined with valerian. However, I find the Dormival to be gentle but helpful.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenPained View Post
I laughed at this, but it is true for me too...

Benadryl or Advil PM work pretty well for me. I have to be careful with Nyquil because if I take too much it keeps me awake.

I've never tried melatonin, and valerian doesn't seem to work that well for me. I do sleep some but I feel like crap in the morning.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenPained View Post
I can hear it now:

"Best Damn Counter You Ever Been Over...!"

Sell it through a Pharmaceutical Cartel & the AMA'd bring back house calls....
Old 10-12-2011, 09:55 PM

Well...like anyone, I can only say what has worked for me. Or still does. Melatonin has worked in the past, but the effect was erratic at best - sometimes it worked, usually, not so much. Nyquill always works. In spite of what jamie said about the effect being from the alcohol, well, I doubt that. I can't take the liquid Nyquill because the taste to me is so disgusting that I can't even swallow it - my throat locks up and I choke and spit it up before it even reaches my stomach. And I'm pretty sure that any alcohol in the capsules would not be of sufficient volume to induce sleep based on that alone. But the capsules will still knock me out. On the other hand, I don't like taking Nyquill because the effect is too lingering - I will feel tired and 'out of it' for the next day. But that's just me.

Benadryl is great because it helps me fall asleep and pretty much I just need something to help me fall asleep - once I'm asleep, I'm good! With benadryl, I will sleep til morning and wake up with no 'druggy' kind of hangover. Maybe if you're problem is not so much falling asleep as it is staying asleep - well, that could make a difference. On the other hand, your body does adjust to benadryl rather quickly, so its really only good for the occasional sleepless night and not for long term.

As far as Rx drugs go, Clonopin was great for me for sleep. Trazodone is another that is great for sleeping, but it is a Rx anti-d and I don't need that anymore. Plus, its another drug that your body quickly develops a tolerance for. But I don't get Rx drugs anymore, nor do I want them.

At this point in my life, when I have trouble sleeping, I take one or two benadryl. But I know that I can only take them for a day or two if I want them to continue to be effective, so I reserve that option only for times that I feel that I really need the sleep.

As I said, there are two potential issues here - falling asleep vs staying asleep - and they are not the same issues. If all you need is something to help you fall asleep, then I think benadryl is the best OTC option. But if staying asleep is your issue, you might need to either go with an Rx drug, or take something like Nyquill which has a more lingering effect and may interfere with your 'next day' functioning.

But that's just me...
Old 10-13-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
I was always careful - my rule was "never more than 2 nights in a row, never more than 3 times in one week". If I wanted to take some but would break those rules by doing so, I didn't do it. So I never felt any addiction; for me it was more like a desirable sweet dessert: you enjoy it, but if you care about yourself you know that it would be stupid to overindulge.
Funny, this is exactly my same relationship with Clonopin. For years I have abided by the exact same rule, and also like to make the dessert analogy!