The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-18-2011, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

62 Years Old, Natural, Versus 64 Years Old, Surgeried

Sigourney Weaver, 62 years old versus Suzanne Somers, 64 years old. Apparently Sigourney has not had plastic surgery; Suzanne obviously has had lots, and Sigourney looks about a million times better to me than Suzanne does. Am I nuts? Does the plastic, puffy, pulled-in-strange-directions face of Suzanne Somers look better to people? Sigourney looks like a 62 year old woman who is aging beautifully; Suzanne looks like a 64 year old woman who is desperately trying to look younger.

What do you think?
Advertisements  
Old 10-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

The Sigourney Weaver picture isn't loading for me, for some reason, but I can fairly confidently say that, whatever picture it is, it's going to look far better than any picture of Suzanne Somers. Weaver is one of the hottest women ever, and although she's not as hot as she once was, is still quite beautiful, even compared to most women half her age. Somers, by contrast, looks like Michael Jackson in a bad wig.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:24 AM

Same with me. I get gibberish text instead of the Weaver pic,

Suzanne... if only she had invested in the Face Master instead of the Thigh Master, a great tragedy could have been averted.

Just a few weeks ago there was a Halloween-like freak show thread of celebrity plastic surgery gone bad. What makes the whole phenomenon so mysterious to me is that presumably the the Hollywood folk can afford the very best. So I have to wonder if the state of the art in plastic surgery is so... chancey, why would anybody risk it? Or are celebs and their agents so dumb that they don't bother to check references on their surgeons? Cuz it seems to happen a LOT. Or maybe Suzanne and her buddies keep going back for surgery after surgery until there's nothing left to tuck.

Last edited by Boyo Jim; 10-18-2011 at 12:25 AM..
Old 10-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

I'll see if I can find another fairly close-up shot for you - this isn't as close as the first, but gives you the idea.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Another Sigourney shot from January, 2011.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:36 AM

But she looks horrible in this shot (Sigourney is on the left). Just shows you what a little makeup can do.

The image linked to in the OP has a bad file encoding, but I can see it after downloading it and viewing as a jpeg. She looks a lot better than just about anyone, as Chronos said. Although I never thought of Suzanne Somers as all that attractive — she looks pretty disturbing in the shot linked to. Barely human.

Last edited by panamajack; 10-18-2011 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: Pointed out which one in the picture is Sigourney Weaver
Old 10-18-2011, 12:38 AM

The original Sigourney Weaver picture is loading properly for me and she looks way better than most any other woman near her age and as was accurately stated upthread, half her age.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:39 AM

BTW, how do you know Sigourney hasn't had plastic surgery. I suspect that a fair number (maybe most?) who've had it won't admit to it.

The first woman I recall being shocked by (results-wise) was Mary Tyler Moore, whose eyebrows were permanently raised into the "surprised" look.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
BTW, how do you know Sigourney hasn't had plastic surgery. I suspect that a fair number (maybe most?) who've had it won't admit to it.
I wouldn't be surprised if Weaver has had some work done, but I bet that if she did, she told her doctor, "I want to look like an attractive woman in her sixties." Summers, on the other hand, I suspect told her doctor, "I want to look like an attractive woman in her thirties." And there's only so much medical science can accomplish.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Summers, on the other hand, I suspect told her doctor, "I want to look like an attractive woman in her thirties." And there's only so much medical science can accomplish.
Weird, that's the same thing Michael Jackson told his doctor.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:15 AM

Weaver looks like an attractive, healthy 62 year old woman. Somers' face looks like a mask constructed by aliens who don't quite get the way human faces look. She has fallen into the Uncanny Valley!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:19 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Captor View Post
Somers' face looks like a mask constructed by aliens who don't quite get the way human faces look.
She looks like she got turned down for a Snickers commercial for being too creepy looking.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Same with me. I get gibberish text instead of the Weaver pic,
That's weird, all I see is blonde, brunette, redhead...
Old 10-18-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Weaver has had some work done, but I bet that if she did, she told her doctor, "I want to look like an attractive woman in her sixties." Summers, on the other hand, I suspect told her doctor, "I want to look like an attractive woman in her thirties." And there's only so much medical science can accomplish.
I'm not entirely sure that could have been achieved in her thirties.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:11 AM

Sigourney Weaver has always been hotter than Suzanne Somers. There has always been an elegance about her that just gives her that extra umph.

That picture of SS linked in the OP is horrifying. Gah. That should have a warning on it.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:20 AM

Really! Shame on the OP for violating the two-click rules for NSFW pics!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
Sigourney Weaver, 62 years old versus Suzanne Somers, 64 years old. Apparently Sigourney has not had plastic surgery; Suzanne obviously has had lots, and Sigourney looks about a million times better to me than Suzanne does. Am I nuts? Does the plastic, puffy, pulled-in-strange-directions face of Suzanne Somers look better to people? Sigourney looks like a 62 year old woman who is aging beautifully; Suzanne looks like a 64 year old woman who is desperately trying to look younger.

What do you think?
I think you've selected a pretty odd pair to compare - an already very attractive 62 year old who is lucky enough to look awesome for her age vs. a 64 year old who has clearly had bad results from plastic surgery. Given those two choices, of course the former looks better.

Unfortunately, many people are not lucky enough to look as awesome as Sigourney Weaver at the age of 62; and fortunately, not all plastic surgery looks as bad as Suzanne Somers' does.

So, while I tend to agree that plastic surgery isn't in my top ten list of things I think people should do, I don't think these two pictures are conclusive of anything.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:00 AM

I think SW is lovely. SS, not so much. I agree that picture of Somers should have come with a warning. That did not help my already nervous tummy.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:22 AM

I wish I hadn't clicked on Suzanne's picture. She used to be such a beautiful woman. Why in the world anyone would ever have an expectation that plastic surgery won't produce unnatural, bizarre effects at some point is beyond me.

Another case in point, Linda Evans.

Last edited by lieu; 10-18-2011 at 07:25 AM..
Old 10-18-2011, 07:42 AM

I look every day of my age, but I would much rather have people say, "doesn't she look old?" than "what did she do to herself?!"
Old 10-18-2011, 08:28 AM
21st Century Troubadour

Helen Mirren is another actress, now in her sixties, who still looks beautiful.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:28 AM

You can't assume that Somers would look as good as Weaver if she didn't have any surgery. Maybe she'd look worse than she looks now. (yeah, I doubt it too, but maybe)
Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Weaver looks like an attractive, healthy 62 year old woman. Somers' face looks like a mask constructed by aliens who don't quite get the way human faces look.
This is precisely correct. Weaver doesn't look younger than she is, but she looks like a 62-year-old woman who has naturally good looks, takes care of herself, and has a killer smile.

It is of course entirely possible Weaver has had some work done, but just was smart about it. We tend to think of plastic surgery as a disastrously vain error because you only notice it when it goes horribly wrong, as is evidently did for Suzanne Somers (who I would agree was never as pretty as Sigourney Weaver; Somers's thing was being a blonde with a great body.)

But how would you notice if plastic surgery went right? Almost by definition, the best work is the work you don't notice.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:55 AM

Of course I'm going to side with the Sigourney crowd here.

Last weekend my daughter (14) asked me why I didn't dye my hair, to hide what's starting to turn gray. "Because there's nothing wrong with growing old" was my response.

I'm 49 and have some gray hair: so what? I really don't get the whole young = beautiful, old = ugly thing. We're bombarded with advertisers and media telling us this is the case, but I don't buy it. I much prefer natural women who are confident being themselves. Dyed hair isn't too bad, I guess, but I still don't even see the need for that. You are who you are and there's nothing wrong with growing old. It happens to all of us.

Last edited by Leaffan; 10-18-2011 at 08:57 AM..
Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
The first woman I recall being shocked by (results-wise) was Mary Tyler Moore, whose eyebrows were permanently raised into the "surprised" look.
I think MTM was going for the Carol Burnett look.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
I really don't get the whole young = beautiful, old = ugly thing. We're bombarded with advertisers and media telling us this is the case, but I don't buy it. I much prefer natural women who are confident being themselves. Dyed hair isn't too bad, I guess, but I still don't even see the need for that. You are who you are and there's nothing wrong with growing old. It happens to all of us.
It's a vicious circle. TV studios and movie studios generally - not always - are gonna make more money with young looking actors and actresses. So they cast them. And in doing so perpetuate the situation.

I can't see an easy way out of it without a bunch of TV networks getting together and co-operating on a universal plan which sweeps across all of television to cast older people. But they're in competition with each other; better that someone else takes the hit. Which they won't.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Somers' face looks like a mask constructed by aliens who don't quite get the way human faces look.
Probably the aliens who constructed the hotel suite at the end of 2001; they try so hard, and yet, they make small yet significant mistakes, and the result ends up being creepier than something completely alien....
Old 10-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

That photo of Somers is particularly awful. An image search on her name shows lots of photos where she appears overly surgified, without the puffy mask appearance. The one linked appears to be so soon after surgery that she's still swolen.

I wonder of some of the disparity we're seeing, not just between these two women, but between the surgeried/non-surgeried camps is that there are folks now in their 60s who had procedures done in their 40s, which produced the desired results, but now have to keep going or they'll look (most likely only to themselves) as if they're in their 80s.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Sigourney W. had a tiny bump shaved off her nose 25 years ago - but she new when to say when.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flodnak View Post
Probably the aliens who constructed the hotel suite at the end of 2001; they try so hard, and yet, they make small yet significant mistakes, and the result ends up being creepier than something completely alien....
Or Talosians. That picture of Somers brought to mind the illusion-less version of Vina.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
It is of course entirely possible Weaver has had some work done, but just was smart about it. We tend to think of plastic surgery as a disastrously vain error because you only notice it when it goes horribly wrong, as is evidently did for Suzanne Somers (who I would agree was never as pretty as Sigourney Weaver; Somers's thing was being a blonde with a great body.)

But how would you notice if plastic surgery went right? Almost by definition, the best work is the work you don't notice.
You can notice some actors have changed looks over time. For instance, I suspect that Sandra Bullock has had some work done, but I think she still looks good.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:12 PM

I think there's a common misconception that any and all enhancements are terrible.

A little (emphasis on little!) botox in the forehead helps. A slight eyelift makes one look more awake. Glycolic peels help cell turnover, mild glycolic acid and Olay Regenerist at night are worth your time.

But few people know when to stop. Family friend does this work and say half his clients have tiny, small amounts of things done while the other half get hooked and end up looking much worse for the wear.

As with so many things in life, the name of the game is "in moderation". ETA: Sunscreen and genetics remain the best ways to look good and age gracefully.

Last edited by lindsaybluth; 10-18-2011 at 12:13 PM..
Old 10-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Bernadette Peters is a good example of a woman at 60+ who -- if she's had work done -- has had a very good surgeon. Actually I suspect all she's done is some plumping of her cheeks to lessen wrinkles (which with Bernadette isn't easy to tell, considering she's always had that Kewpie-doll look). Here's a picture of her from last year's Tony's, when she would've been about 62. Obviously she's wearing a lot of makeup (I believe she was performing that night) but still... the woman looks incredible. Here's another shot from the same night.

What's especially remarkable about her is that the skin on her neck, chest and arms is almost flawless. That's why I don't think she's had much if any work done.... she just has terrific skin and has taken damn good care of herself. (Plus, probably, good genes.) Or maybe she's got a portrait of herself hidden away somewhere that looks like the Cryptkeeper.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Sigourney is on record as being against plastic surgery (and actors NEVER lie about anything!), but looking at her close-up, she doesn't have any of the tell-tale signs of plastic surgery/facelifts - she doesn't have the stretched grin, the odd tightness, her eyebrows in a strange place, etc. She has the telltale signs of not having had surgery - she has lines in the places where a 62 year old would have lines. It's not conclusive, of course, but if she's had work done, it's very good work.

I'm just not seeing the "ugliness" of wrinkles - they just look normal to me (and normal-er every day, ba-dum-chick).
Old 10-18-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
Old 10-18-2011, 12:37 PM

Unfair comparison. Sigourney Weaver has always been way hotter than Suzanne Somers. In fact, SW now is hotter than SS then.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Somers is making her living pushing her healthful diet. If eating healthy makes one look like that, give me the McDonald's.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:13 PM

You could use the same data to establish that throwing xenomorphs out of airlocks and sleeping with Bill Murray makes you age more gracefully. Or that not changing your hairstyle in four decades makes you age worse.

I'm not a huge fan of plastic surgery, but the natural aging process has been known to go horribly wrong as well. (And I'm not mentioning Rutger Hauer's name) This is cherry picking.

--
Besides, anyone can look awful in one or two pictures, espcially if they're wearing pancake makup. Even Sigorney. She was never as sexy in still shots as she was in action. Even if that action involved talking, rather than exoskeletons.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You could use the same data to establish that throwing xenomorphs out of airlocks and sleeping with Bill Murray makes you age more gracefully.
Well, to be fair, if you don't throw the xenomorph out the airlock, you'll age very badly.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Well, to be fair, if you don't throw the xenomorph out the airlock, you'll age very badly.
I disagree. You probably won't look a day older, not even on the day you die.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
OH GHOD CHRISSY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*sobbing*
Old 10-18-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Somers is making her living pushing her healthful diet. If eating healthy makes one look like that, give me the McDonald's.
Somers also promotes various kinds of health woo (bioidentical hormones, adult stem cell therapy etc.).

So maybe her appearance can't be entirely blamed on plastic surgery.

Interesting though that people who promote "natural" remedies can be associated with unnatural attempts to maintain their appearance (another example is Jenny McCarthy, who warns us about vaccine "toxins" but thinks that Botox injections in the face are just wonderful (and is a poster child for, um, enhancements in general)).
Old 10-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

But it's all-natural botulism!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:37 PM

You know, I'm used to seeing the "permanent startle" of poorly done eyebrow/forehead lifts. I'm used to the unnaturally plump cheeks, the overly-perfect teeth, and even the doll-like smoothness of Botox.

But what the fuck did SS and Linda Evans do to their chins?

I mean, I have more than my original allotment of chin. The additional one might hang in a fatty fold from my jawbone, but that at least is nature telling me to cut back on the chocolate. I suppose if, in a moment of well-funded psychosis I decided that the way to get rid of chin #2 was not diet/exercise but implanting a chin extension on chin #1 in an effort to delineate and separate said chins, but . . .

No! It's wrong! It's bad! It goes against Og and nature! Kill it with fire!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Great, now you've got me imagining people with two completely separate chins, one in front of the other...
Old 10-18-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Ministre de l'au-delà View Post
Helen Mirren is another actress, now in her sixties, who still looks beautiful.
She looks like Jimmy Durante.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
Golf clap.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

If you can handle it, lots of befores/afters here ---> http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/
Old 10-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

After reading Somers's memoir about how she got pregnant when her boyfriend came on her panties (Have sex before marriage. I would never), how she got pregnant again by her married lover when she forgot to take her pill the day she was arrested for bouncing checks, and how she almost died from having a legal abortion, I would NOT trust one word out of her mouth.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Another woman who ruined a perfectly beautiful 52 year old face with that chin. . . thing is Ellen Barkin. Not as horrifying as SS but, really, is that necessary?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

I don't get the big chin thing or the big round cheek thing - I get that they're trying to plump out the wrinkles with big round cheeks, but now you've got these weird-looking big round cheeks. WTF, man?