What Is This Weapon Called?

In The Matrix Reloaded there is fight scene between Neo and the Merovingian’s supernatural minions. One of the minions, wearing white, (I’ve setup the YouTube link to start at the relevant time marker.) is using something that looks like a pike with a lot of spikes close to the business end. (Neo eventually takes it away from and kills him with it.)

What is this thing called?

It’s called a thagomizer, after the late Thag Simmons.

Looks like a larger than usual morningstar to me. Morningstars were typically one-handed weapons, but I don’t see any particular reason why there wouldn’t have been polearm versions of them, since more or less every other one hander has been declined into a polearm at some point (polehammers, poleaxes, swordstaves, mauls and flails…).

Isn’t that a mace?

What about poleswordchucks? Did they ever make those?

No. That would be insane even by Fighter’s standards.

ETA : although there *was *something called a sansetsukon which I suppose is akin to a polechucks.

A little too long to be called a mace I should think. Doesn’t the term mace usually refer to a weapon with a flanged head?

ETA link.

There’s a thought. Hell, I don’t even know if the thing is European.

But this thing isn’t “sectioned.” (Is that a word?)

The spikes differentiate it from a mace.

Complimentary link

Penis ensues! :smiley:

From which of your orifices?
THIS is a serious question on a weapon class, not about your personal sexual fantasies.

Maybe it’s one of the Japanese war clubs, like a Tetsubo or a Kanabō?

Sorry. That should have been “panic ensues.”

Could be. Could very well be, but the shaft seems to be shorter than in the movie.

It’s almost like a plançon à picot (from Medieval Weapons & Armour) but again the plançon’s shaft appears to be too short.

Wolf tooth club/mace.

http://www.crouchingtiger.co.uk/product.php?xProd=76&xSec=24

BINGO !! That really looks like it! How in the world did you dig this up??

Japanese Wikipedia page listing club-like weapons.