The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Boo!

Old 10-22-2011, 02:46 AM

Ideas for easy/clever costume that's work appropriate

We're allowed to wear costumes to work on Halloween. Usually I carry around a teddy bear and just wear pajamas, a robe, and slippers because hey, it's comfortable (and I'd wear that ensemble to work every day, if I could). I was planning on doing it again this year, but they're holding a costume contest and awarding $50 to the first-place winner this year. It would be nice to try and compete, but I don't have any old costumes on hand at all. And I can't justify spending a bunch of money on this, I need to keep it under $20.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Rachellelogram; 10-22-2011 at 02:47 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 10-23-2011, 08:01 AM

Hey I won the work costume contest last year with a very comfy zombie costume. Get some old clothes and rip em up ( I used my son's suit with white shirt and tie). Add splotches of red paint, smear on some dirt (I used cinnamon, though - smelled great!) Put some red paint in your hair, oh, and plastic cockroaches. You know how to do zombie make-up...

you know, I could have worn that costume every day, hiding behind all that make-up, and it only cost a couple of bucks for the face paint and bugs.

eta: This year I'm going as Daria Morgendorffer - easy, but had to buy clothes.

Last edited by Cara mel; 10-23-2011 at 08:03 AM..
Old 10-23-2011, 08:43 AM

We used to do contests as departmental groups, so we did Wizard of Oz. I was Dorothy and we won the prize.

It was cheap too. I found a blue jumper like dress at goodwill. I honestly can't remember now if I also found the shoes there or if I glittered up a cheap pair, but either way, it was not costly.

I put my hair in pigtails and had a toto like puppy I carried around. It was not uncomfortable for me either, so that was also a plus.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:10 PM

Thanks a lot for the ideas! I definitely don't have the physique to pull off Dorothy, but office zombie sounds fun and cheap.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:55 AM

There are lots of fun ideas in other threads that would work--but my favorite for a work-related them is to go as a 3-hole punch. Dress in black. Three big white paper circles in strategic locations (chest, waist, knees...).

You could cut out musical notes from construction paper. Put them all over yourself. You are a "note-taker".

If you are a guy, you could put a big E on yourself and be an E-male.

I'm sure you could work out a pie-chart...

I'm going to try the dust bunny option this year--an inside-out gray sweat suit, cotton balls made into a bunny tail, bunny ears (either purchased or cut out of cardboard), and dryer lint all over...
Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 AM

Animal costumes are usually pretty easy and cheap to make out of sweatsuits. Make a tail and a hood or sew ears on a hoodie, wear shoes/gloves as appropriate for what you are, maybe a little makeup for whiskers, etc. and you're good to go. I've done a sheep, a kitty, a deer with an orange hunting vest and bow, and this year I think I'll be a peacock.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 AM

Got any old maybe not quite white sheets that you don't use anymore?

One pillowcase opened at the seams and with the hem seam opened up is an almost perfect square. Fold it in half diagonally and tie the long side corners together and you have a sling for your non-dominant arm. You can rip the flat sheet into 2-3 inch wide strips very easily. Wind some of these around a rubber boot (for extra "thickness") and it becomes a foot cast. Wind some more around an old baseball cap and you have a head bandage. Maybe a little bit of dirt and bloody makeup (lipstick in a pinch).

Voila! Accident victim (or come up with a more witty title)...
Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 AM

It depends on your work environment entirely but, if you work in a place where this film might be popular, you should go as a rug. You'll really tie the room together.