Why is underwear called "a pair" when it's just one item?

The other day, my husband asked me if he had a pair of underwear that was clean. I said, “Yes,” and handed him 2 undergarments. He looked very puzzled and inquired, “Why did you give me 2?”

“You asked for a pair. That’s 2. That’s what I gave you.”

We’ve now had a running argument for the past several days over whether or not underwear (aka: panties, undies, boxers, etc.) should be called “a pair.” I say no, and he obviously says yes. I hope someone has the answer to this one, and how DID underwear come to be called “pair” when there is only one item?

Probably because it was made by joining 2 pieces in early years, similar to a pair of scissors.
But I haven’t heard a ‘pair of underwear’ in usage.

There is a column about this question:

Basically because we call pants a pair of pants and that stuck with underwear.

Add “a pair of pants” to the argument and merriment will surely ensue. It’s common usage is all. Insisting that it’s wrong will just get you pitying looks from those to whom you are speaking.

Victoria’s Secret definitely avoids the use of “pair” when describing their sales. I always thought that was kind of amusing.

“Buy 3, get 1 panty for free” and other odd-sounding phrases, very common in their fliers. I’m sure the general idea is avoid morons who don’t understand that a “pair” of panties is only one garment!

Because you have a left pant leg and a right pant leg which gives you a pair of ‘pants’.

That’s how I always saw it.

Has there ever been a time when it was fashionable to wear only one pant leg?

Yes, if you are Long John Silver.

Regards,
Shodan

If you were an archer, you could have handed him three arrows, since “a pair of arrows” refers to three of them.

A tailor would refer to a single leg as a ‘pant leg’.

And according to The Free Online Dictionary:

A pair of underwear is the only way I refer to it. Otherwise what? An underwear?

This. I’m wondering if the OP was seriously unaware of the standard usage, or was just being intentionally obtuse/dickish in that interaction.

Seriously. A “pair of underwear” as a reference to a single set of briefs is such common usage I’d think anyone handing me two sets of briefs when I asked for “a pair of underwear” was borderline retarded.

For many non-English speaking people around the world, the whole plural concept such as “a pair of” pants, scissors or even shoes let alone things like underwears is very peculiar thing. I may be wrong but in most of non-english languages it’s just a pant (you don’t count legs; it’s just one connected, one piece of clothing). A scissor, not a pair of scissors and shoe, not a pair of shoes; the fact that shoes are normally a pair is a “goes without saying” fact. When one is asked about one particular shoe then you address it as one of the pair. How often people talk about one leg of a pair of pants? I too come to think it’s waste of words if efficiency and speed is a part of the criteria.

I’m all for trimming and streamlining fat off English language. It will probably happen soon enough in our age of texting while driving. ‘A pant’ is so much shorter than ‘a pair of pants’.

The answer depends on whether you want to use the singular or plural form of whatever term you use for your underclothing. If you’re going to talk about panties, or undies, or boxers, or underpants, then clearly your underwear is plural and you don’t get to be all snarky about them coming in pairs. If, however, you talk about a panty, or an undy, or a boxer, or an underpant, then snark on him all you want.

Even if English was not his first language?

The “pair” rule doesn’t apply to upper garments for some reason. I have two sleeves in my shirt, but I don’t have a pair of shirts. Bra is singular, camisole is singular, blouse is singular.

But you have a pair of earrings.

This English - she is weird.

But aha! Ads… say like in GQ magazine… where models are standing dockside … modeling … the caption might say, “Pant by Ralph Loraine.”

How do you explain that non-plural use? :confused:

I’ve noticed that on What Not to Wear - they call it a pant, too. Maybe the fashion world is changing the language?

I am standing here in my underwear…

I am standing here in my pair of underwear…

You decide.