The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 10-24-2011, 08:45 PM

Does your cat quiver its tail?

My cat, George, when he is in a playful mood, will often jump up onto my desk, when I'm at my desk on the computer, stand in front of my monitor, meow, put his tail straight up into the air, and then "quiver" his tail. What I mean is, his tail starts shaking - not shaking as in, flicking from side to side or something, but shaking the way a rattlesnake's tail shakes. Actually visibly vibrating. He also sometimes does this after he plays with the catnip-scented bubbles I like to blow for him. I've never seen another cat do this, but according to what I've read online, cats sometimes do it. Does your cat do it?
Advertisements  
Old 10-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

I assume he's been neutered. Otherwise, you'd be all stinkin' wet.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:22 PM

What do you mean? Is this tail quivering associated with pissing, or spraying scent, in cats?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
What do you mean? Is this tail quivering associated with pissing, or spraying scent, in cats?
Yes
Old 10-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Creature of the Night

Yes. One of my current cats does it, and one of my now deceased cats used to do it, both when they were excited. Both female, and both spayed.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:40 PM

He's spraying or trying too. Male cats do that. And yes they will in fact spray people.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 PM

No. I don't have a cat. I don't like cats. I have a thing about friends with cats: I don't have friends with cats.

<narrows eyes>

What's wrong with you?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:58 PM

All of my cats do that, even Cleo [my girl kitty].
Old 10-25-2011, 12:06 AM

My female cat does this when she is excited about something.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:06 AM

I've only had one cat that does it, Jasmine. She always quivers her tail when I come home from work (she greets me at the door, like a dog) and when she smells a can of something being opened for her. From what I've read cats only do it when they're extremely happy. It is just like a vibrating, like a rattlesnake's tail.

Last edited by EvilTOJ; 10-25-2011 at 12:07 AM..
Old 10-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

All three of my cats do that when they're happy, and sometimes right when waking up. All boys, all fixed, if that matters.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesA View Post
He's spraying or trying too.
Not necessarily. You have to take context into it.

A behaviorist once told me that the tail quiver when being greeted is the only true sign of affection you get from a cat. It means they are happy/excited. All other signs of affection (kneading/bunting are self-serving for the cat).
Old 10-25-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauvaise View Post
Not necessarily. You have to take context into it.

A behaviorist once told me that the tail quiver when being greeted is the only true sign of affection you get from a cat. It means they are happy/excited. All other signs of affection (kneading/bunting are self-serving for the cat).
Sounds odd to me. Cats have many ways of showing affection. How can anyone tell which are "true"?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Smoke, our gray female cat, does this when she is trying to get my attention by yapping at me loudly, especially when I'm ignoring her.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesA View Post
He's spraying or trying too.
If he wanted to, he would. Contrary to popular belief, neutered males are perfectly capable of spraying, as are females. It's just that neutering tends to mostly eliminate the urge to do so and almost as importantly apparently cuts down on the worst bit of the odor. It's not 100%, especially if the cat is neutered when they are older and are used to spraying. But it is highly effective, otherwise probably nobody would own a male cat .

But he really wanted to spray, he could and would.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 10-25-2011 at 06:51 PM..
Old 10-25-2011, 09:10 PM

We had a cat that would do that when he saw us go into the kitchen - he knew that's where the food was, lol.

(We used to call it "shimmy tail")

Last edited by voguevixen; 10-25-2011 at 09:11 PM..
Old 10-25-2011, 09:21 PM

My WonTon (fixed male) does it but I've never seen my girls do it. I always thought it was a boy thing. I had a cat once who wasn't fixed who did it when he was about to spray.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:53 PM

My cat (huge, male, fixed since kittenhood) only quivers his tail when he's frustrated about something or doesn't get what he wants. Generally he then stalks off to his litterbox, faces his rear to the wall, and sprays.

In the interest of anger management for everyone, we engineered him a litterbox big, tall, high, and covered. All his spray runs right back down into the litter. Now he gets to make his occasional statement, and we don't have to clean up after it.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:30 PM

Yes, my neutered male cat does it. I call it "shivery tail."
Old 10-25-2011, 11:39 PM

My cat does the tail quiver--spayed female. I enjoy making her do this by withholding her kitty treats for a few seconds after pulling them from the bag.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 AM

I read the OP yesterday and wasn't sure what this tail quiver was. Then, when I went to take a shower this morning and Charlie followed me into the bathroom - as always - and quivered his tail in the air, I thought, "Ooohhh, right! That's the tail quiver!" I've always understood it as, "I'm so happy to see you!"

(No spraying around here, but both the boys are fixed.)
Old 10-26-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malthus View Post
Sounds odd to me. Cats have many ways of showing affection. How can anyone tell which are "true"?
What ways are you thinking about?

I can think of a couple that people interpret as affection:

Bunting (rubbing their head/body against you), which isn't affection, they are marking you as theirs with scent glands.

Bringing you "gifts", also isn't affection. They are trying to train you to hunt. Momma cats will bring half-dead stuff to her kittens to teach them how to kill.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
What ways are you thinking about?

I can think of a couple that people interpret as affection:

Bunting (rubbing their head/body against you), which isn't affection, they are marking you as theirs with scent glands.

Bringing you "gifts", also isn't affection. They are trying to train you to hunt. Momma cats will bring half-dead stuff to her kittens to teach them how to kill.
Why is marking you with scent "not affection", while quivering the tail "affection"?

Seems to me that marking one's owner, and being affectionate, are not mutually exclusive.

More generally, when my cat sees me sitting on the couch, she jumps up with loud purrs and demands, by pushing her head at me, that I scratch her behind the ears. She then curls up against me, purring contentedly, pressing her back against me.

While no doubt each and every one of her acts has ulterior motives of some sort, the package of behaviours as a whole certainly appears to denote "affection".
Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 PM

One of my two male cats, both neutered, does this all the time. My vet said it was a sign of affection. It's not him trying to spray, because he can still do that, believe me.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:35 PM

Nope. Two cats, never seen it.

Does meowing insistently until I get let him get close enough that he can put his paws on my shoulders, in order to stare right at my face with an expression that sure looks like drunken love, and blissfully lick my face while purring ecstatically, count as 'affection'?

If not it's sure an excellent imitation! :P
Old 10-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Confusing the polarity
Charter Member

One of my cats (female, spayed, 6 years old) does this when she's happy. I think it's cute.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
...after he plays with the catnip-scented bubbles I like to blow for him...
How on earth do you do this? Chew on catnip yourself?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Confusing the polarity
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcards View Post
How on earth do you do this? Chew on catnip yourself?
Check the pet store sites. They actually sell these.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malthus View Post
Seems to me that marking one's owner, and being affectionate, are not mutually exclusive.
And when she rubs against the wall or the side of the couch, is she also expressing affection for that object?

I don't mean to be contrary. I'm owned by a cat and volunteer with a rescue organization primarily on the cat side. I say this to show my cat-lover credentials.

Quote:
While no doubt each and every one of her acts has ulterior motives of some sort, the package of behaviours as a whole certainly appears to denote "affection".
Appears is the correct word. All (ok, maybe only most) animal lovers are guilty anthropomorphism when it comes to their pets. I do it even though I know better. There is nothing wrong with it as a whole (I won't get into why it can be detrimental because that's a different thread), but it also can be good to recognize what's at work when cats exhibit certain behaviours because then it can help you (collective) better understand your cat.

The reason why the tail quivering was described to me as true affection, perhaps the only behaviour that is, is because it's a body language thing. There is no claiming of territory, getting that itchy spot scratched, etc. It's purely a physical expression of the cat's happiness/excitement of the moment (for example: seeing you again after you've been gone awhile).
Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
And when she rubs against the wall or the side of the couch, is she also expressing affection for that object?

I don't mean to be contrary. I'm owned by a cat and volunteer with a rescue organization primarily on the cat side. I say this to show my cat-lover credentials.
Well, no. Just as putting my arm around the back of a chair doesn't have the same meaning as putting my arm around my wife.

Surely, context matters for animals as much as people. Licking a lollipop is not the same as oral sex, even though the gesture is similar ...

Quote:
Appears is the correct word. All (ok, maybe only most) animal lovers are guilty anthropomorphism when it comes to their pets. I do it even though I know better. There is nothing wrong with it as a whole (I won't get into why it can be detrimental because that's a different thread), but it also can be good to recognize what's at work when cats exhibit certain behaviours because then it can help you (collective) better understand your cat.

The reason why the tail quivering was described to me as true affection, perhaps the only behaviour that is, is because it's a body language thing. There is no claiming of territory, getting that itchy spot scratched, etc. It's purely a physical expression of the cat's happiness/excitement of the moment (for example: seeing you again after you've been gone awhile).
How can one assign emotions such as happiness and excitement to a cat? How do you know they even feel these emotions at all? Perhaps they just *appear* to be affectionate, but if you are taking skepticism that far, why are you exempting tail-quivering?

Seems to me that if reading rubbing up against you, purring in your presence, rushing to be with you, seeking and giving cuddles as affectionate is some sort of fallacious anthromophism because the true emotional state of the animal is unknowable (and perhaps absent), the same goes double for such behaviours as tail-twitching. How can someonone on the on hand warn about "anthromorphism", and on the other insist that some gesture a cat makes displays "true affection"? It seems to me more consistent to state that nothing a cat does displays "true affection" (or better, that this state is unknowable in an animal).
Old 10-27-2011, 07:25 PM

5 out of 6 cats i have/d "tail quiver". the one that didn't had tummy troubles.