The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 03-11-2001, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

So, I got my wisdom teeth out 8 days ago, and it STILL hurts horribly. My doctor says I have something called "dry socket" and there is nothing that he can do about it except wait for it to finish healing. My question for you all is, how long did it take for you to heal? How much longer must I be in this terrible pain. I can't even take Vicadin because it makes me really sick.
Old 03-11-2001, 01:02 AM

This is not going to give you much hope but here it goes.

A month.

I was horribly swollen for about a week, and throwing up from the codeine. Then I had "dry socket" and my bones were exposed so he put some clove oil soaked gauze in there. More vomiting ensued. It literally took a month for all of the pain and swelling to be gone.

My thoughts are with you.

You might consider putting some clove oil on it though. it did take the pain away, it was just too much clove taste for a day and a half.
Old 03-11-2001, 01:03 AM

I was pretty lucky, I guess. I had my upper wisdoms pulled, and they had healed in three days. I was very cautious and ate a liquid diet and didn't smoke. Only needed to take tylenol the first night.
Old 03-11-2001, 01:06 AM

*thinks*

Like a week or two. I got the stitches removed after 2 weeks, and I don't remember it hurting TOO much after that. Even right after I had them out...I was only in BAD pain for one day where I had to take the narcotics he gave me. After that I was on Advil.
Old 03-11-2001, 01:25 AM

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Mine only hurt for two or three days. My throat, on the other hand, was sore for a little over a week from the tube that was put down it.

Hope you're feeling better soon,

--sublight.
Old 03-11-2001, 01:54 AM
Charter Member

My wisdom teeth still aren't through. I'm 31. I think this is unusual, but the dentist has never said anything, so I dunno.
Old 03-11-2001, 02:13 AM

About a week and 1/2 of super sharp pain.

How did you get that dry socket, did you drink from a straw ?
Old 03-11-2001, 02:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waxteeth

How did you get that dry socket, did you drink from a straw ?
No, I did everything just like the doctor told me. I didn't eat anything solid, I didn't drink from a straw, or do anything that would cause any suction. It didn't do any heavy activities. The only thing that I can think of is that the Vicadin made me vomit and maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know anything about it, but that is all I can figure.
Old 03-11-2001, 02:40 AM

Not going to make you feel better...

But a LONG time.

Mine were severly impacted when I finally had them out (hint to younger posters: DON'T put it off). One of my upper teeth had a root that actually penetrated my lower sinus cavity. The person who was supposed to give me a ride to and from the dental surgeon's clinic cancelled at the last moment, so I had to be awake through the whole process of having my four largest teeth broken into four pieces each and then pulled/ripped/drilled out. NOT fun, especially since I'm resistant to the effects of novocaine.

I then proceeded to develop dry sockets in all four places, despite following all precautions. I was on codiene and a liquid diet for two weeks, and was still in agony most of the time. There was still a great deal of pain from two of the sockets for another week, and general tenderness for the next two or three weeks. I also had some side issues from the codiene, but I'll spare you the details of those.

There was, however, one mildly amusing-- if masochistic-- result. For about six months after the procedure, I had a small hole in the bone of my sinus cavity. Every time that I had to breathe deeply or quickly through my nose there was a little whistling sound, sometimes audible to those around me, which was invariably accompanied by an icy-cold needle of pain. Luckily the bone regrew before winter set in...
Old 03-11-2001, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by heraldgwena
My doctor says I have something called "dry socket" and there is nothing that he can do about it except wait for it to finish healing
I'd get a second opinion on this. If it is dry socket there IS something that can be done for it. My dentist puts a dressing with some kind of medicine in the socket, and by the time the dressing dissolves, enough healing has occurred that the problem is solved.

Scotti
Old 03-11-2001, 07:08 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

I'll let you know after next weekend. :: sigh ::
Old 03-11-2001, 08:44 AM

I think it took about a month for my mouth to heal up. Pain from the surgery was only bad for a couple of days, but I was a fairly young'un at the time. Definitely get a second opinion about "nothing I can do for you" -- I seem to remember having my sockets packed with something to protect against dry socket.
Old 03-11-2001, 09:08 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

This thread tells about my wisdom tooth experience - it was incredibly easy:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...threadid=42589
Old 03-11-2001, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

I think the length of time is different for almost everyone.

I had mine out 8 years ago, they put me under, and, apart from coming out of the general sobbing, I had no significant pain. I had a prescription pain killer, I took one, then regular tylenol took care of it the rest of the time.

I had no problems with dry socket, even though I continued to smoke. I was back on solid food within 24 hours, albeit in very small bites, because the stitches were tight, and I had to chew with my front teeth.

I flew 1200 miles less than a week afterwards(spring break was over and I had to go back to school), had minimal swelling.

My roommate, on the other hand, swelled up like a chipmunk, was in severe pain for about a month afterwards, and had dry socket in 3 out of 4. And she's a non-smoker.

So, I don't think there is a set amount of time. But, if it's not getting better, go back to your dentist/oral surgeon or consult a different one. This was supposed to fix problems, not create new ones.
Old 03-11-2001, 10:11 AM

I got my four out the day after Thanksgiving (2000). Two days of low pain, swelling on the third day, and then about 6 days of reduced swelling and mild pain. All gone after 2 weeks.

Dry sockets suck, I didn't have any but my mom did and she said they're not pleasant.

{{heraldgwena}}
Old 03-11-2001, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scotticher
Quote:
Originally posted by heraldgwena
My doctor says I have something called "dry socket" and there is nothing that he can do about it except wait for it to finish healing
I'd get a second opinion on this. If it is dry socket there IS something that can be done for it. My dentist puts a dressing with some kind of medicine in the socket, and by the time the dressing dissolves, enough healing has occurred that the problem is solved.

Scotti
My doctor did mention this guaze that they could pack it with, but he said that the problem with it was that I was healing so fast that it would be hard for them to put it in and most likely doing so would just irritate it and make the problem worse. He also said that it would make it take longer to heal, and that it tasted really bad. He did say that if it STILL hurt in a couple of days he could still do it, but it really didn't sound like it was worth it. However, if it still hurts this bad tommorrow he said to come back in and they would do it. That is one reason that I asked, because I wanted to know if it would be worth the trouble. I mean, why do it if it would be better the day after it is done. Although, those people who say it took a month are making me think that it might be worth it. Thanks for all the help though. I appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2001, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

you're gonna hate me.

I went to Wendy's for a burger about ten minutes after I woke up.

Sorry about your luck.
Old 03-11-2001, 12:35 PM

It took about a week for me to heal reasonably well, eating mostly pudding & soup. My only problem was that I (stupidly) tried to play my bassoon a couple days after I had them out, and I destroyed a few stitches in the process.

A friend had dry-socket, and was in very very bad pain for a week or two, but has since healed with no lingering effects.
Old 03-11-2001, 01:11 PM

I had one of my top wisdom teeth pulled at the same time that I had four other teeth pulled for braces. I actually never felt any pain from the wisdom tooth. The oral surgeon gave my a prescription for tylenol with codiene. I never took any of them at all. It took a few days for me to get comfortable, but that was because of the other four teeth that were pulled. I don't recall feeling any discomfort whatsoever from the wisdom tooth.
Old 03-11-2001, 03:16 PM

I'm one of the lucky ones, too. I had all four out, in two different operations, and felt no pain, got no dry socket, despite the fact that I never stopped smoking, and no swelling at all.

I've had friends that looked like they were packing twelve-pound sacks of Hamster Nummies in their cheeks after wisdom tooth extractions, though.
Old 03-11-2001, 03:22 PM

Well, when I went back in 6 days to get my stitches out, I had already healed completely around the stitches. That was an unpleasant experience, but better that than complications. Of course, I was only 15 years old, so that probably helped me heal faster. I only remember hurting very much for about 2 days.
Old 03-11-2001, 10:12 PM

Well, I can't really speak to "healed," but it didn't bother me that much.

I was 17; the teeth were bad but not horrible. (I also had a couple of regular molars removed about a year after, because my jaw was "too small." I guess I was past the warranty period.)

I went in first thing Saturday morning, had the procedure, and woke up in recovery with my face in a puddle of drool. I have a memory of walking groggily to the car, then again from the car to the couch at home. I slept there for a couple of hours.

When I woke up, I felt fine. A bit of discomfort, but no real pain. I drank some soup, went outside, and chopped wood for over an hour. I went to a high-school party later that night, also. And when Monday came, I was there in first period, no problems. I took regular Tylenol for a day or two, and then just stopped. Piece of cake.

My dad, on the other hand, was in bed for three weeks. He had some weird thing where a tooth hole actually connected through a crack to his sinus cavity, and some food or liquid or something got up there, and he got a horrid infection. His experience and mine, obviously, were night and day.

Please allow me to wish that your experience will quickly come to resemble mine.
Old 03-11-2001, 10:44 PM

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed around 8 years ago. All of them were impacted and I didn't have any problems with the surgery or recovery. I pretty much came out of surgery, had my mom drive me the pharmacy to pick up some drugs, and take me home. I spent the next 2 days eating jello and soup and pretty much thinking about how much work I had to make up when I went back. I don't think I even needed the pain pills but I took them just in case. It pretty much was a breeze and I always feel sorry for people who get dry socket and have a horrible time with it.
Old 03-11-2001, 10:59 PM

You poor people.

I had mine out a week before xmas 2000, at about 10am. By 3pm, I was eating jello no problem, and at 5 pm I had kielbasa and scrambled eggs.

The next day, I had a large cheese pizza. By the day after xmas, I had my stitches out, and I was all good.
Old 03-11-2001, 11:09 PM

All four of mine were fully impacted. As a result, they needed to be split in half in order to extract them. They over anethisized me, and I couldn't walk by myself for 4 hours after surgery. I threw up for 2 days afterwards, had to stay at my parents' for 5 days, and couldn't eat solid food for three weeks. The pain didn't stop for a month and a half.

Damn teeth.
Old 03-12-2001, 10:10 AM

I had three wisdom teeth and a bad molar yanked in one session about a month before I drove accross country. The good news is that I had nearly no pain.
I woke up from surgery in a daze, my sister drove me home, stopping for drugs and I slept the rest of the day. I had the next day off from work, but I didn't need it. I felt tip-top. Even had a nice hardy breakfast, with a cigarete chaser.
But with drugs in hand and a paid day off from work, who was I to complain. I just had myself a Timothy Leary day, and resumed life 24 hours later.
Old 03-12-2001, 07:29 PM

I've only had one wisdom tooth develop, and even that never came in. My dentists have told me that I don't really need to worry about it, since it has never given me any problems.

Ha! I gloat at you all! Gloat gloat gloat.
Old 03-13-2001, 08:24 AM

I had mine yanked while I was living in a small company mining town. A old time dentist would visit for a week once or twice a year.

He used the most barbaric looking tools imaginable but had frozen up my mouth pretty good. The roots of the two bottom ones were fully hooked so he cracked them in half before pulling them out. It was pretty exhausting for both of us as the whole proceedure probably took close to two hours. Just holding my head in one place was a huge effort with the pressure he was exerting. At points he had his knee up on the arm of the chair for leverage and he was sweating profusely by the time it finished. A couple of times he had to tell me to stop biting him.

Once the freezing wore off it felt fine. Go figure.
Old 03-13-2001, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Strainger
I've only had one wisdom tooth develop, and even that never came in. My dentists have told me that I don't really need to worry about it, since it has never given me any problems.

Ha! I gloat at you all! Gloat gloat gloat.

Yeah, maybe so, but you missed the joys of sodium pentathol, one of the greatest drugs ever invented.

When they knocked me out I was talking. 45 minutes later I finished the sentence.

Great drug.
Old 03-13-2001, 10:55 AM

Hmm.. Lotsa pain in here...

All four of mine were pulled in one sitting.

They'd come in so far that the crowns had crushed each other, but I had no idea. I'd just turned into a raving moster at work, with the shortest, most vile temper you've ever seen, when I went in for a routine check-up. The Doc took one look, and said 'those gotta go...'. He put some kind of 'snapring pliers'-looking tool in my mouth, tugged (hard) on each tooth. I thought he was testing them in some way, but he asks me if I wish to see them... Nasty! Crowns all crushed, roots hooked a full 90 degrees, and all covered in blood. This guy was an artist with the dental pliers! No pain medication (I was already hurting so bad I didn't realize that I was in pain...), no surgery, no stitches, no loose fragments. He had me put teabags in the back of my law, one on each side, and had me bite down, forcing the teabags down into the wound. Tasted horrible, but it stopped the bleeding, and the wounds healed clean.

I was back to work that night, with a great new attitude. Fully healed in 3 days.
Old 03-13-2001, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah, maybe so, but you missed the joys of sodium pentathol, one of the greatest drugs ever invented. When they knocked me out I was talking. 45 minutes later I finished the sentence.
Oh yeah, I remember this.

They stuck the needle in the back of my hand and said, "Start counting backward from a hundred."

"Okay, sure," I say. "100."

They fiddle around.

"99."

They stop fiddling around.

"98."

They look at me.

"97."

I feel something cold touch the back of my hand.

"96."

The cold is moving up my arm.

"95."

The cold passes my elbow.

"94."

The cold touches my shoulder.

"93."

My whole arm and hand is freezing.

"92."

My head separates from my body.

"91."

My head is now flying around the room.

"90."

And now I'm lying on my side on a recovery table, my face in a puddle of drool, my mouth full of gauze.

"89-- huhrbbl?"

Totally, totally weird experience, needless to say.
Old 03-13-2001, 12:17 PM

Sheesh, I post a thread for sympathy because I got my wisdom teeth out 2 days before new years and got a whole 4 replies. I AM NOT FEELING THE LOVE.

Anyway i looked like a chipmunk all through new years but was back and work and slightly discomforted but the 2nd of january. I really had a great experience with it. What made it so great you ask? PERCOCETAND LOTS OF IT!

'nuff said

pezpunk does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or marital status or other protected status covered by federal, state or local law.
Old 03-13-2001, 12:18 PM

Sheesh, I post a thread for sympathy because I got my wisdom teeth out 2 days before new years and got a whole 4 replies. I AM NOT FEELING THE LOVE.

Anyway i looked like a chipmunk all through new years but was back at work and slightly discomforted but the 2nd of january. I really had a great experience with it. What made it so great you ask? PERCOCETAND LOTS OF IT!

'nuff said

pezpunk does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or marital status or other protected status covered by federal, state or local law.
Old 03-13-2001, 05:20 PM

I had a broken wisdom tooth taken out about two months ago. The hole in the middle has almost filled in. While the inside was filling in the skin was pulling in and breaking on the outside.This exposed the top of the jaw bone about three weeks ago. In about two or three weeks I expect the bone to be fully covered. The center will be totally filled too.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:13 AM

Wisdom teeth

Had to get my wisdom teeth removed one at a time the first one was my upper left had no problem a week later it was completely healed. a couple weeks later I get my upper right removed no pain the only problem it's taking a long time to heal. a few weeks later which was this Tuesday I had my lower right removed it was a pain in the butt it took two in a half hours to get out the pain I endured after the medicine wore off was unbelievable I was to take Motrin but its not doing the job so I decided to take Vicodin its working a lot better. the luck that I have going for me is that I didn't swell up at all I look totally normal in all three occasions lucky me.

My spouse had all four taken out and he had a fat face for three weeks straight it was not good. :-(

Last edited by 1chance; 10-11-2012 at 04:16 AM..
Old 10-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Healing from the actual pull? About two days. I had them pulled on a Monday, and I was eating whatever I wanted and playing sports by Wednesday afternoon.

... of course, by Friday morning, the entire left half of my face was swollen because one of them got infected, and I was on antibiotics, mashed potatoes, and pudding for another couple of weeks. That part sucked.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:20 AM

I can't believe that people have actually mentioned swelling up like a chipmunk and yet no one has pointed out the OP name/subject perfection!

Dry socket does suck but if your dentist has said you're healing too fast for the clove oil gauze treatment it sounds like you'll be back in business sooner than typical.

Vicodin isn't the only thing they can give you for pain though since it makes you sick they should have offered you something else. Since they haven't, a combination of OTC pain meds (tylenol/asprin or tylenol/ibuprofen or asprin/ibuprofen) might help.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:22 AM

I ate a Big Mac meal straight out of the surgery, on the way home. I smoked like a chimney, despite the warnings against dry socket. I still have to ask, "What's that?" I can't recall much pain or discomfort from it at all (this was five years ago). I remember waking up at the end of the procedure (I took two pills the morning of, and then was done in with shots and nitrous), and asking for more gas, which the surgeon refused. I didn't feel anything, but I was aware of an 80 year old surgeon standing on my chest with a pair of pliers in my mouth, and I didn't care to be aware of that. My experience was absolutely nothing like others I was warned about, but I think the fact that I had a guy that had been yanking wisdom teeth for ~50 years had a lot to do with my complication-free experience.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

On the initial extraction, all 4 quit significant pain by the 3rd day, and my gums had grown over by 2 weeks.

I had a complication, however. One tooth grew in extremely crooked to the inside, so the socket was malformed and left a sharp edge. This cut through the new gum and did a number on my tongue. I had to go to an oral surgeon to have the jawbone edge that formed the socket removed. His sutures didn't work properly, so I swallowed a lot of blood for a few hours until I went back and had it resutured. I was sick for about a day. Normal fast healing afterwards.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Confusing the polarity
Charter Member

I had mine out last year--three of them (the fourth never showed up).

It was relatively uncomplicated--they had a hard time getting the needle in for the anesthetic, but it was done under "twilight" anesthetic in the dental surgeon's office. I was a little loopy afterward and not really hungry until that evening, and my whole face was numbed out which made eating difficult anyway. They told me not do drink anything with a straw (basically no sucking). I was eating soft food like mac and cheese and scrambled eggs by that evening.

I had to wear this chipmunk rig with ice in it and for a few days my cheeks looked like I'd gone a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson (bruised and swollen). I think the pain lasted about a week or so, and the area was sensitive to cold for a long time after that (it's only recently that it's not bothered me when I eat ice cream). They gave me oxycodone and ibuprofen for the pain--I mostly took the ibuprofen, with only a few of the oxycodone when it got really annoying.

I'd say in retrospect the whole experience was more annoying and inconvenient than horribly painful.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:28 AM

If the OP's pain persist since 2001 then I'd say it's long time for a new dentist
Old 10-11-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
If the OP's pain persist since 2001 then I'd say it's long time for a new dentist
I don't think zombies ever heal though.

Anyway, I have some experience with a tooth being extracted, if not a wisdom tooth; this was a tooth in the front of my mouth at the top which grew in misplaced, probably because there wasn't any room for it (there is no gap, but you can tell there is one missing if you count them). The tooth in front of it got a cavity (in the space in between the teeth), which as you can imagine was hard for the dentist to repair, and he advised that the misplaced tooth be pulled.

This was when I was 21, and I don't really remember much pain except after they extracted it and the local anesthetic started wearing off before I could take the pain reliever I was prescribed (luckily only a half-hour or so), I only took it once or twice and it healed pretty well, in a few days (I did pay attention to what they said about eating; interestingly enough, this changed my diet permanently, I used to drink a lot of Mountain Dew (2-3 cans a day) but they said not to drink soda so I drank milk instead; afterwards, Mountain Dew no longer tasted good to me, and since then I rarely drink soda). Although, I still occasionally get a non-painful throbbing sensation (to my heartbeat) in the area where the tooth was.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:28 PM

Poor Nefarious Chipmunk!

I got my wisdom teeth pulled last year and was in excruciating pair for nearly a month. It turns out it wasn't the teeth (or lack thereof) that hurt; it was my jaw. They had to keep my giant mouth open for so long during the extraction that my jaw muscles got all strained. There was nothing they could do but give me pain meds, which, at some point, they just stop giving to you.

I ended up just having to suffer through the pain, which I thought would never end. But it did.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaje1 View Post
Poor Nefarious Chipmunk!

I got my wisdom teeth pulled last year and was in excruciating pair for nearly a month. It turns out it wasn't the teeth (or lack thereof) that hurt; it was my jaw. They had to keep my giant mouth open for so long during the extraction that my jaw muscles got all strained. There was nothing they could do but give me pain meds, which, at some point, they just stop giving to you.

I ended up just having to suffer through the pain, which I thought would never end. But it did.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!
Almost 12 years later, I hope he's feeling better by NOW....
Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaroph View Post
Damnit I completely missed that.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaroph View Post
Uh...she I am sure you will all be happy to know that I feel much better now.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Good to hear!

FWIW, as I recall, all of mine were fine within 8 to 12 hours after being pulled.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 AM

I got mine out at age 23. It took a month for me to recover, and another month before I was eating normally. Really quite a horrible experience.