Recommend graphic novels / mangas.

Living in Europe, I have no familiarity with this medium. I was thinking to buy some on Amazon to see what it’s about.

On my tentative list so far:
The Watchmen
Death Note
The Walking Dead

Love and Rockets - Palomar
Ooku
A Distant Soil

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Promethea
Sandman
Maus

There’s an overlap between actual Graphic Novels (like Maus) and serial comics that have been collected into book format (like Watchmen - note, no “The”)

And I find it hard to imagine Europeans are unfamiliar with the Graphic Novel medium, even if they are called bandes dessinée or stripverhalen or fumetti or whatever. Tintin, Asterix, Cordo Maltese, Valentina, Druuna - all are graphic novels.

Ah yes, I know Tintin of course, and I have read all of those.

Since so much of Alan Moore’s stuff has been suggested already, I’ll add quick mention of TOM STRONG. (Make sure to start with Book One.)

If you are just starting out, a few “high spots” make sense:

• **Maus by Spigelman **- won Literature awards, it describes his father’s experiences during the Holocaust and the author’s experiences with his father. Pivotal graphic novel as a crossover success proving that the format can be used for “grown up” themes and topics.

• **The Dark Knight Returns **by Miller and **Watchmen **by Moore - introduced a more gritty look at the superhero genre. Held up as the two pivotal mid-80’s comics that changed the overall tone of the genre. Both exist as superhero stories AND as step-back commentary on the superhero genre - AND as using the genre to comment on big questions like our own sense of identity and our reactions to the 1984-like Totalitarianism both authors see our society suffers from. And both are great reads, if you are a fan of the genre. Watchmen is held up as the Citizen Kane of the genre…and IMHO deserves it.

• **Ghost World **by Clowes - an example of a graphic novel outside the typical genres - it explores the lives of everyday freaks and geeks trying to figure out their situations…

Plenty of others - Love and Rockets, the rest of Alan Moore’s works, etc., as mentioned above - but for the time I had to post, these few seem like essential starting places…

The Golden Age, the Dark Knight Returns and Kingdom Come, all by DC.
Predator: Concrete Jungle.

One of my favorites is The Arrival.

A completely wordless, fantasy-allegory of the immigrant experience. I think it is pure genius, packing a genuine emotional whallop.

Edit: it’s perhaps the single best work to demonstrate that a graphic novel can, in fact, be a work of serious literature.

Another one by Alan Moore - The Ballad of Halo Jones I’d link to the wiki page but there are massive spoilers throughout, better to read it and figure stuff out for yourself. The “hero” is an ordinary girl, no capes!

I think this one divides people but I really enjoyed The Umbrella Academy two titles (so far) Apocalypse Suite and Dallas again no capes, but pretty much everything else.

Both of these just chuck you into their worlds with no explanation and leave you to pretty much figure out the background as you go (just how did Spaceboy get that way?) I liked that but it seems to piss some people off.

Oh, and there’s Hellboy, every one loves him.

Black Hole - Charles Burns

Y: The last Man

Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth

David Boring by Daniel Clowes

The Sword - Luna Brothers

My favourites are:

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth - Grant Morrison and Dave McKean
Kabuki: Metamorphosis - David Mack
Stray Toasters - Bill Sienkiewicz
Promethea - Alan Moore and J.H. Williams III

The biggest names in graphic novels include:

Grant Morrison
Alan Moore
Frank Miller
Kurt Busiek
Art Speigelman
Alex Ross
Brian K. Vaughan
Chris Ware
Warren Ellis
Seth
Daniel Clowes
Garth Ennis
Mark Millar
Neil Gaiman
Mike Mignola
Gilbert Hernandez
Paul Chadwick
Will Eisner
Jeff Smith

Those names cover a vast distance of story-telling styles and genres and you’ll have to discover those which resonate must with you, but those are some of the best storytellers in the biz.

then read this if you haven’t- X’ed Out - Charles Burns

and if you like that then this one

The Frank Book - Jim Woodring

these are two more of my favorites, although pretty far from manga

Graphic novels are clearly covered. It’s hard to recommend manga without knowing what you like, as there are thousands for every possible genre. But, here are a few that don’t run to thousands of volumes:

Wolfs Rain. The anime is better, but the manga is still beautiful
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. It goes beyond the anime and, again, is absolutely beautiful.
Pet Shop of Horrors. Sometimes disturbing, sometimes heartwrenching.
Akira. Required reading.

I’ll second “Y: The Last Man” and add “Batman: The Killing Joke” and “X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills.”

My favorites:

Nausicaa: This has it all, beautiful art, great characters, intricate plot. A masterpiece.
Starstruck: A space opera in the flavor of the 5th Element. Funny and detailed.
Dark Knight Returns: The only Batman that I’ve ever really liked
Ranma 1/2: Hilarious slapstick sitcom manga
Full Metal Alchemist: Wonderful characters and dramatic action.
Astonishing X-Men: Brilliant Joss Whedon writing, and lovely full-color art that avoids the cliche superhero feel.

I didn’t like Watchmen, mostly due to the dry noir narrative style and the simplistic uninteresting (IMO) artwork.

Keweenaw, you have excellent taste. Chris Ware’s work in general and “Jimmy Corrigan” in particular are among the finest works the genre has ever seen. Jim Woodring is one of my all-time favorites as well. Phreesh’s list contains many excellent artists too.
I’ll add an American and recommend a few European and Japanese works: David Mazzuchelli’s “Asterios Polyp”, Jiro Taniguchi’s “A distant neighborhood”, David B’s “Epileptic”, Didier Comès’ “Silence”, and Koike & Kojima’s “Lone Wolf and Cub” are all highly recommendable. And in case you haven’t been there: Hugo Pratt’s stories of Corto Maltese are simply superb, in my opinion.
For something much older, you could try Lynd Ward’s “novels in woodcut” (from the thirties). They are not really graphic novels, but quite fascinating none the less. “Gods man” is the most well-known and easiest to get your hands on, I think.

I have read this; this is cool.

Have the Yotsuba&! stories made it to your country? It’s a bunch of episodes, not a novel, about a 5-year-old in small-town Japan, and her very real-world adventures. Commonly described as joy on the page, or the like.

Yotsuba&! - Wikipedia!

Also I feel the need to correct for the fact that Gilbert (or ‘Beto’) Hernandez has been mentioned twice, and no one mentioned his brother Jaime (or ‘Xaime’). I am much more in the Xaime camp than the Beto camp, if there are such things. Beto has some interesting characters, but Xaime may be the better artist, and his writing style is less rushed, somehow.

Look for “Locas,” “Penny Century,” “Maggie,” etc.
But Los Bros. Hernandez are cool in general.

I also like Paul Chadwick.

Seconded. Enthusiastically.

I’ll also add:
Pride of Baghdad
The Surrogates (read the book, don’t see the movie)
Ruse: Enter the Detective
The Unwritten
Or, if you’re looking for something that’s just flat-out fun, Jeff Smith’s Bone

The last four were originally published in periodical form, then later collected into paperbacks. But as they’re ongoing stories, it really makes no difference.