Seized Lawnmower Engine: Fix or Replace?

My old mower died yesterday-it looks like the engine seized up. My question:I can buy a complete new engine for about $500-or a short block for $200. My understanding is that (usually) the connecting rod bearings have failed, and hence the seizure. If so, replacing the short block will restore the engine to life. Or, given all the wok involved, am I better off buying a new engine?

Is this a push mower, self propelled or riding? How old is the mower and what brand is it? How big is your lawn?

If you have a push or self propelled it sounds like you should get a new or used mower. You can buy a pretty nice mower for $500 and if you have a regular size lawn with no special needs you don’t need anything fancy.

Go with a new engine. But for $500 I would go with new mower.

I worked in a mower shop when I was a teen. This was over 30 years ago (holy shit I’m old!) so this advice may no longer be relavent. We did quite a few short block jobs but not many replacements. Some questions that need answered:

Why did the engine seize? Lack of engine oil, fuel contaminated with plastic, or general neglect?

How old is the mower? Doing a short block when the rest of the components are near the end of their lives isn’t worth the savings.

What type of mower? If it’s a cheapie push mower then replace the whole thing.

Will you take it to a shop or do it yourself? It’s not hard at all (I was doing it when I was 14) but there are (or were) some specialized tools that made the job easier.

[moderating]
Since the OP is looking for opinions, I’ve moved the thread to IMHO.
[/moderating]

Its a sitdown-two years old. I think the short block deal is the best-any idea how long the job might take?

Assuming a standard Briggs-Stratton engine, once it’s out of the mower swapping the parts to the short block might take about an hour. Getting it out of and back into the mower will depend on the specific model.