Does Adderall really improve your work performance?

I recently read an article about the ‘Great Adderall Shortage of 2011’. The comment sections were filled with disgruntled workers complaining how their job is more difficult without Adderall, with some even speculating that they might lose their jobs due to a decrease in performance. This made me not want to live on this planet anymore.

So question time:
[ol]
[li] What is the estimated % of the US workforce using Adderall as a performance booster?[/li][li] Does it really increase the work performance of non-ADHD sufferers?[/li][li] Are there any side-effects?[/li][li] Is the usage of Adderall at work in the increase?[/li][li] Predict the future working environment, are we about to see the legalization of this drug due to widespread adoption? Will companies provide Adderall to their workers as an incentive? Will this be legal?[/li][/ol]

Well, Adderall is nothing more than a preparation of various amphetamines - in a word, ‘speed’. So, yeah, short term it probably does improve performance and prevent fatigue. But, longer term, or in people predisposed to psychosis, look out! Trouble a brewin’.

Side effects are legion and include stoke, heart attacks, paranoia and frank psychotic breaks. Weight loss, insomnia, and palpitations are common. Oh, and it’s also addictive.

Here, see for yourself: Amphetamine - Wikipedia

I take it and yes it does. To put it short if you have ever seen the movie Limitless, that is basically a 90 minute ad for the drug. Or if you watch the movie while on adderal its more of a 30 second ad :wink:

I take it to help counter the effects of daily morphine use for chronic pain. The morphine makes me lethargic and the Adderal wakes me up.

Granted, I am on a low dose, 10mg per day but it has given me my life back. I no longer sleep 12 to 14 hours a day and can stay awake all day on a normal schedule. I guess because of my low dose I haven’t experienced the hyper focus I’ve heard about. But, I can say that I am awake and feel more motivated than I have in years. If abused I could see one using it to bump up productivity.

However, speaking as someone who is on a boatload of drugs for chronic pain I can’t understand why anyone would want to subject themselves to these drugs for a no e medical reason. He’ll, I would give anything to never have to take a drug again.

FWIW I woke yesterday morning at 4am, drove 500 miles, spent all day doing things and it’s now 1:20am and I am not really tired yet. So it works.

It can be useful for people with ADHD (helps them focus). Like any other drug, though, it really is not candy and should not be taken as if it was.

What is the problem with prescribing these drugs? I took a similar drug (I think it’s similar–Ritalin), and it was great. It made so many things easy for me that had seemed impossible before. It was, literally, like a wonder drug. I don’t know that it would affect everyone that way, but it sure helped me.

It wasn’t “hyper focus.” It was probably regular focus. An example: a simple thing like updating the car registration was just overwhelming because there seemed to be so many steps, I couldn’t get started. On Ritalin, I just knocked those steps off one by one, no problem. Emissions test, check. Payment, check. Stamp on envelope, check. Done!

(In the absence of drugs I was more like “Oh gosh, I have to renew this license tag, but first I have to get the emissions test, and what if it fails? Also, when can I do it? I don’t have time after work, my lunch hour is probably not long enough, I’ll be late…” Yeah, I know, sounds perfectly idiotic. And then I wouldn’t be able to find a stamp, or I’d have to balance and resolve the checkbook before I dared to write a check, and then when I finally thought I’d got it all together, I’d forget to actually drop the stamped envelope in the mail, and would find it in my purse months later. You know, while getting a ticket for not having a current registration.)

The only side effect was that I had to remember to stop drinking coffee after about two cups in the morning. Or I would get very shaky. That was it. No others. None. No trouble sleeping, no palpitations, no heart attacks, and no addiction. My tendency was to take it on days I worked and not to take it on weekends, and in fact, while I was on it, I worked out a few things that helped me get focused and productive when I wasn’t taking it. So, in defiance of the “addictive” label, I took less and less, and I was on a really small dose anyway.

So, was there really a shortage of Adderall, or did they just decide docs were prescribing too much of it? I’m guessing the latter.

This is all very useful but I would like to know more about its effects on the future working environment. If there are any business lawyers in this forum I would like to ask the following questions:
[ol]
[li]What are the legal obstacles for company adoption of Ritalin/Adderall supplements for employees?[/li][li]Do you foresee any changes to the law that would restrict/free up the status quo?[/li][/ol]

The first legal obstacle is that it’s prescription only. So, if companies started handing it out they would arrested for narcotics trafficking.

If that wasn’t a problem, they would get the crap sued out out of them the first time any of their employees had a negative side effect.

There are 50 sets of state corporate laws out there, I doubt anyone on this board is familiar with all of them. What I can say is that as soon as the practice were adopted (which it never would, it’s just insane) - the state would outlaw it. It doesn’t matter if the drugs are perfectly legal. A corporation is a creature of the state and the state’s authority is therefore plenary (except if in conflict with federal law, but health and safety are traditionally viewed as state concerns and regulations upon them are rarely struck down for commerce clause reasons and would not be here barring direct conflict, field conflict would not apply).

eta: there are probably some OSHA violations in there to boot, but labor law isn’t my thing.

You think companies are going to start handing out prescription drugs to their employees? The company I work for doesn’t even stock aspirin in the first aid room anymore.

I have taken Adderall.

Yes. It absolutely works for me.

I’m probably somewhere on that ADHD spectrum.

I suspect the percentage of workers using adderall when they aren’t prescribed it is quite low, but I have no numbers to back that up.

[quote=“Dirty0ldman, post:7, topic:603334”]

[li]What are the legal obstacles for company adoption of Ritalin/Adderall supplements for employees?[/li][/quote]

The legal obstacles are that it’s illegal. It’s a scheduled narcotic.

No. Adderall is speed. Chemically, it’s not much different than meth (although since it’s manufactured in a professional lab it’s much more pure than street meth, which tends to contain a lot of impurities).

That being said, it’s not that hard to get it under the counter since a lot of people who have prescriptions sell it. It fetches a good price.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention and it is very relevant to the OP and work performance. The Military forces of many nations use Adderal (amphetamine) for their troops. In WWII both the Allies and the Axis used them. Nazi Germany handed them out like candy in WWII. The drug was used extensively by US Air Force Bomber pilots on long missions. They used to call them “go pills”.

Even today the US Air Force gives the drug to pilots to use on long missions. So, if the AF is using it during working hours it is a good bet that it is proven that it helps work performance.

I am a little short on time at the moment, but look up amphetamine on Wiki and they cover the military use.

Adderall is amphetamine. Meth is methamphetamine. They are different drugs, though chemically related. Methamphetamine is much more toxic.

Funny - but it’s a fictional drug in the movie, with its own good and bad characteristics (great flick, BTW).