Orphaned elephants may suffer from PTSD much like humans

Ran across a very interesting article from a recent National Geographic. It talks about an African refuge for orphaned elephants and about recent findings that suggest elephants have very human-like reactions to the traumatic loss of their family to human activities like poaching:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/09/orphan-elephants/siebert-text

I think this part gives something interesting to reflect on. I can see how this might be analogous to what we see in human society in areas that have experienced social breakdown and multiple traumas (like children growing up in inner city environments where there is a lot of violence and few positive adult role models)…

Here’s the website for the elephant rescue: http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/

I am thinking of asking for my family to contribute to the elephant orphans in lieu of Christmas gifts this year, because I feel like there isn’t a lot of material stuff that I want this year.

Awww. Poor little elephants.

I remember hearing about African elephants who had seen their mothers slaughtered, that later grew up with emotional issues and began to rape rhinos…not sure if that’s true or not. But I always think of it when I hear about traumatized elephants.

Were there issues with the young female elephants too? Or just the males?

A very interesting story!

Ah, it’s the same elephants! Though I’m not sure if mounting = rape in the animal world…

I’ve read articles where the whole herd waits while a newborn (not born perfect) struggles to function appropriately.
Stories of dying elephants where the herd gathers around, using their trunks to stroke it. And when death occurs, they still wait…mourn?..for days before they move on.
The graveyards of elephants. Mounds of bones. If the herd is near one the dying one throws themselves/drops onto the site.

Jane Goodall’s group of chimpanzees had one youngster who, when his mother died, stayed perched on a limb above her. Didn’t eat, and eventually died himself.

Animals feel, and know. They communicate within their group. Just because they can’t “talk” to us doesn’t mean they don’t think and feel.

This, I think, is a misinterpretation of evidence or an urban legend. But I have no trouble believing an elephant would be traumatized by the loss of a parent. They have very strong emotional bonds.

Following the wiki link on Elephant cognition, it sounds like they do have a lot of awareness of death. Apparently they are the only species other than humans and previously neanderthals that has death rituals: Elephant cognition - Wikipedia

It’s bad enough when poaching harms a species of animal, but it seems especially awful when the survivors are probably experiencing emotional distress and trauma from it.

So, I can’t be the only one who cried reading the article. Right?

The article made me cry too. I cry pretty easily at stories about animals suffering, because I feel like they are so helpless compared to humans.