The Big Bang Theory: What Will Penny's Last Name Be?

Big Bang Theory producer Bill Prady states that Penny’s last name will eventually be revealed.

I thought we’d get her last name when her dad came to visit, but alas, no.

What do you think her last name will be?

Poll to follow.

For no particular reason, I’m guessing “farthing”. Which would fall under the third category.

I am holding out hope for Penny Sevengram-Rocks.

Has it ever been made explicit whether the main characters know her surname? On one hand it’d be very weird if a group of people who hang out with her so often, (including her former boyfriend), didn’t know her surname. On the other, the fact the producers have made an issue of the fact that we don’t know it and it will be revealed eventually kind of indicates something about the surname is likely to cause some form of a stir.

It can’t be a geek reference, because somebody would have commented on it already. My guess is some thing new-geek, so whatever hits the science news in the next few months, look for a surname.

Penny Lane, it’s got to be Penny Lane.

Penny Nichols

I hope it’s Knockknockknock.

Covington-Smythe.

I bet it’s revealed to be something that will get the guys in a huge tizzy. I bet she is related to someone famous in the geek community

I vote, for no reason at all, Marshall.

Penny’s last name will turn out to be Smith. Then it will be discovered her grandfather/great-uncle or whatever is George E. Smith. When the guys press her about having a Nobel laureate in her family, Penny will say something like “we just thought he worked for the phone company.”

How 'bout “Hooker?”

She is from my home town, and she is a little on the eccentric side, so she must be a relative

Presumably, they already know her last name. So, as Mr Shine said, it’s unlikely to be some sort of geeky reference; otherwise, they would have probably commented on it by now.

It wouldn’t be something geeky, as others have noted since the other characters would have commented already.

It’s probably something anti-geek, like “Lashay,” “Kardashian,” “Hilton,” “Manning,” “Krzyzewski.” She could be related to someone in entertainment or sports and these guys would have no idea who it is. Enter a very special cameo.

This here, I like this.

Penny Who ?

Well, if they’re going to reveal it, it may turn out to be one of those things where she goes by an incorrect last name. That way the boys and us both are surprised by it. I can even hear Leonard saying, “I thought your last name was ____.”

I’m guessing something “corn-fed Nebraskan”, so not quite Smith or Jones but relatively mundane and Nordic-y